Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Re: comments about Early Bird. Your Early Bird follows your reservation. However when you *modify* your reservation, ie taking advantage of a lower fare, your Early Bird date resets to the day you modify the original reservation. This happens because even though you don't see it happen, the software algorithm used to perform this function technically cancels your original reservation and replaces it with the new, lower fare (or different departure time) reservation and while your Early Bird upgrade follows the reservation, your place in the virtual queue will now be determined by your new reservation date. Also, many people don't know Early Bird purchases in the 'Anytime' fare category - a more expensive ticket - will be placed ahead of Wanna Get Away fares regardless of purchase date.
Is this specifically stated somewhere in the SW rules? I find it hard to believe...as stated before I've taken many "credits" and EBCI has followed me and I've always gotten an A boarding pass. We do purchase EBCI with the original ticket purchase, usually a day or two after flights are released. If we truly got moved in the virtual EBCI que with each credit taken, we should have been bumped to B boarding....and so far, we haven't been.

I now have a LUV voucher for EBCI and two separate travel funds with the same confirmation number (obtained from a price drop and then cancellation of one flight). I know that I'm capped at 3 forms of payment when I go to book my next flight, so if my flight cost with EBCI exceeds my LUV voucher and travel funds, I would not be able to use all three because I'd also need to add a credit card to cover the difference.

I had read that I can use my two travel funds to book another flight roughly around the same price of the travel funds, and then when I cancel that flight, my travel funds will be combined into one line item because they're from the same original confirmation number. This will give me one set of travel funds to use, plus the LUV voucher, plus the credit card if necessary to make the three forms of payment limitation. Can anyone confirm if the travel funds would be combined in this scenario? The blog I read with this workaround was from 2018, so not sure if anything has changed.
Yes, you can book a new flight with the 2 travel funds, then cancel that flight. Your travel funds will then be on just 1 new travel fund. I did this last month with about 12 travel funds. I booked a flight with 3 then cancelled. Wash, rinse, repeat. I now have them down to 3.

I can't believe what SW has done to my reservation>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(. Had a direct return flight June 2 they have changed it twice first time to a later time but it was still direct, this last time they had me changing planes in Atlanta and it would take 4hrs to get home instead of 2. There were other direct flights that they could have put me on and I don't know why they did what they did. I was waiting to see if Disney would open before then to know what I was doing.

Yesterday I got a notification for my flight to Disney. Not only did they change me to a transfer flight but booked me 2 days before I originally scheduled!!!!!!! How could they do that especially when there are other direct flights on the day I originally scheduled.

I just don't believe that they made either of these changes. I am eventually going to cancel these flights and rebook for end of August. I have to wait because then I will have 3 travel funds so looking for a better price flight and will have to book 1 way going and coming back.

I can't believe what SW has done to my reservation>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(. Had a direct return flight June 2 they have changed it twice first time to a later time but it was still direct, this last time they had me changing planes in Atlanta and it would take 4hrs to get home instead of 2. There were other direct flights that they could have put me on and I don't know why they did what they did. I was waiting to see if Disney would open before then to know what I was doing.

Yesterday I got a notification for my flight to Disney. Not only did they change me to a transfer flight but booked me 2 days before I originally scheduled!!!!!!! How could they do that especially when there are other direct flights on the day I originally scheduled.

I just don't believe that they made either of these changes. I am eventually going to cancel these flights and rebook for end of August. I have to wait because then I will have 3 travel funds so looking for a better price flight and will have to book 1 way going and coming back.
When changes like this are made, its based on the needs of the airline. I don't think they are taking into consideration the best interest of every passenger, but rather re-booking passengers based on where they can accommodate them. The good news is that when the airline makes a change like this, you are free to select another flight with them that works better for you and you should not be charged the difference in fare if its within 60 days of the original flight.

If I book with points I pay out of pocket for the taxes correct? If I cancel do I get the money paid for the taxes back?

If I book with points I pay out of pocket for the taxes correct? If I cancel do I get the money paid for the taxes back?
Yes, the taxes are refunded. Make sure you select the "refund" option from the drop-down list and not the option to hold funds for future use, as you confirm the cancellation.

Southwest has switched both of our flights on us, and we have had to scramble to change our plans. I really hope it doesn’t happen again!

I just checked on my DH/DS flights at the end of May/early June. Their outbound flight, even though it says they are flying roundtrip, is just gone, if you click on the reservation details. They only have the return flight, which has changed. Both flights were direct, now there are no direct flights. But they only have a return, no outbound flight at all, with no refund of points, or anything.

Once again I need help understanding travel funds. I have had to adjust the price down twice, so I thought I had 2 travel funds. I called today to book a flight in August and come to find out that since we are both on the reservation we each have travel funds which makes 4 travel funds. She said that we would have to make 2 reservations. One in my name and one in DH name in order to use the travel funds. I told her to cancel so I could reconsider what I was going to do. I thought the travel funds were against the confirmation not the person.

Is this correct?

Once again I need help understanding travel funds. I have had to adjust the price down twice, so I thought I had 2 travel funds. I called today to book a flight in August and come to find out that since we are both on the reservation we each have travel funds which makes 4 travel funds. She said that we would have to make 2 reservations. One in my name and one in DH name in order to use the travel funds. I told her to cancel so I could reconsider what I was going to do. I thought the travel funds were against the confirmation not the person.

Is this correct?
That is correct. Travel funds ARE linked to the confirmation, but its also linked to the person and they are not transferable. If you had two people on the reservation and you received two credits, that would give you a total of four travel funds - two travel funds per person, redeemable with your confirmation number from that flight. You should be able to see this when logged into each of your rapid rewards accounts, if you have them.

When purchasing a flight, you are limited to three forms of payment and only two of the forms of payment can be travel funds. If you book your flights separately, you can use your two travel funds plus a credit/debit card for you, and then on his reservation you can do the same. If you want to book them together, you'd only be able to use one travel fund per person, for a total of two travel funds.

The only difference with booking on separate reservations is that you will have two confirmation numbers to manage for your trip, and when you check-in (whether you purchase EBCI or do it yourself at 24 hours), you likely will not have consecutive boarding numbers. However, you both can still board together at the higher boarding position.

That is correct. Travel funds ARE linked to the confirmation, but its also linked to the person and they are not transferable. If you had two people on the reservation and you received two credits, that would give you a total of four travel funds - two travel funds per person, redeemable with your confirmation number from that flight. You should be able to see this when logged into each of your rapid rewards accounts, if you have them.

When purchasing a flight, you are limited to three forms of payment and only two of the forms of payment can be travel funds. If you book your flights separately, you can use your two travel funds plus a credit/debit card for you, and then on his reservation you can do the same. If you want to book them together, you'd only be able to use one travel fund per person, for a total of two travel funds.

The only difference with booking on separate reservations is that you will have two confirmation numbers to manage for your trip, and when you check-in (whether you purchase EBCI or do it yourself at 24 hours), you likely will not have consecutive boarding numbers. However, you both can still board together at the higher boarding position.
Another option to use the 4 travel funds but keep it a bit easier to manage is to book two, one-way flights. Flight 1 is for both people going to your destination. Use 2 travel funds plus cc. Book a second one-way flight going from your destination to home. Use 2 more travel funds plus a cc.

Doing it this way you still have 2 different confirmation numbers but only 1 to check in each direction if your travel thus securing boarding groups numbers together.

Another option to use the 4 travel funds but keep it a bit easier to manage is to book two, one-way flights. Flight 1 is for both people going to your destination. Use 2 travel funds plus cc. Book a second one-way flight going from your destination to home. Use 2 more travel funds plus a cc.

Doing it this way you still have 2 different confirmation numbers but only 1 to check in each direction if your travel thus securing boarding groups numbers together.
Even better! I know people often recommend booking two one way flights on Southwest anyhow because it makes it easier to change, cancel, obtain travel funds, etc. So this would be a better option, IMO.

Even better! I know people often recommend booking two one way flights on Southwest anyhow because it makes it easier to change, cancel, obtain travel funds, etc. So this would be a better option, IMO.
I could never really understand until recently why people recommended booking two one-way flights. Now it makes more sense! It just took me a bit to see why! :)

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I have a travel fund that expired today. It is no longer showing in my travel funds at all. This is a travel fund that will be extended until June 2021. I sent Southwest a facebook message yesterday asking if I should be concerned that it expires soon and hasn't been extended yet. They said it could take a few weeks, don't worry. Has anyone had a travel fund expire, disappear and then reappear with the extended June 2021 date? I took a screen print of the travel funds so I have proof, but still makes me nervous.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I have a travel fund that expired today. It is no longer showing in my travel funds at all. This is a travel fund that will be extended until June 2021. I sent Southwest a facebook message yesterday asking if I should be concerned that it expires soon and hasn't been extended yet. They said it could take a few weeks, don't worry. Has anyone had a travel fund expire, disappear and then reappear with the extended June 2021 date? I took a screen print of the travel funds so I have proof, but still makes me nervous.
I don't think anyone has even seen the June 2021 extension date appear yet - at least no reports that I have seen. I would hold out until people start seeing the new expiration date and once that has been rolled out, call in about it if it doesn't re-appear. We are in the same boat with funds that will expire in May, unless they are extended before that.

I know people often recommend booking two one way flights on Southwest anyhow because it makes it easier to change, cancel, obtain travel funds, etc. So this would be a better option, IMO.

This is what we always do. Like you said, it makes it easier to change, cancel, etc. if you need to :).

I received an email from SW that they changed my return flight (again). The first time this happened, I was easily able to change to a flight I wanted instead. This time, I looked online and my booked flight was still available. I called SW and was told I am still on my booked flights and the email could have been sent in error and to check tomorrow 🤷‍♀️

SW changed our flights today. (and no email to tell me, I just happened to look) Now there isn't a flight from my airport to Orlando until 3PM every day (with a stopover). So the earliest I can get in any day is 9PM. What a PITA !!
I haven't tried making my own "connecting" flights but I'm not sure its worth it (even if I do all carry on bags)

SW changed our flights today. (and no email to tell me, I just happened to look) Now there isn't a flight from my airport to Orlando until 3PM every day (with a stopover). So the earliest I can get in any day is 9PM. What a PITA !!
I haven't tried making my own "connecting" flights but I'm not sure its worth it (even if I do all carry on bags)
Are you within a reasonable distance of an alternate airport where Southwest may still offer nonstops to MCO and with an earlier arrival time?

Add me to the list of changed flights. Back in mid-February, they changed my flight to MCO in late June where I was arriving at 3:30 instead of 1:00. My flight home in early July was was changed to 45 minutes earlier. Fine. I really wanted to arrive earlier on the way there, but the only other flight that was earlier now was departing around 6:00 a.m., which was too early for me.

Last night I got an email that they changed my flight where we're arriving at 6:15 p.m. instead of 3:30. I did go ahead and change this one because I don't want to arrive this late. However, they now had a new/different flight departing at 8:30 a.m. A little early for my taste, but I'll take it! The July flight back home is currently still in tact.

When I looked the other day, there were still 6 non-stops to MCO, but now there are only 3. Who knows if this trip is even gonna happen. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter