• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Important Info!!!

When the CBR closed for re-hab last year, rumors flew then, just as they are now. I would imagine they'll handle it just like they did last year. They'll call guests in the order in which their reservations come up. We had reservations at CBR during the re-hab period, but they were very far away. In fact our reservation started the day before the re-opening. I didn't want to wait for a call so I just went ahead and switched resorts on my own.

I'd do it again if I were booked at POFQ. I know some people reported getting great upgrades, but for most it was just a switch to another moderate. We had never stayed at a moderate and I wasn't all that comfortable about it to start with. I preferred to go ahead and change to a deluxe while there was still availability rather than waiting and hoping that Disney might give me a cheap upgrade.

Actually, it's kind of funny....if you go back and read the threads about CBR, it's amazing how many people who had reservations at CBR were absolutely only interested in the CBR. No other moderate would do, it was CBR or upgrade to deluxe. You would have thought POFQ was a dump! Now that it's going down for re-hab, it's the only moderate worth going to. ;)

Btw.....
If you can make the request based on medical reasons, you're practically guaranteed of getting what you need.

Okay, this trip has been the most bizarre I've ever taken and we don't even leave for 69 days! :crazy:

Had a code for POFQ, no CBR available for dates.

A week or so later, new code with $10 lower rate came out, so switched.

A little later learned 2nd code was technically for Disney Visa members and knew we were going to spend a lot of time at FQ pool so changed codes and changed to waterview.

Yesterday, found out about POFQ closing, had to change resorts, didn't really like options, but changed to AKL standard for more $$.

Spent evening trying to figure out how to set up DVC borrowing cascade before they open Monday.

This morning, remembered getting recent e-mail from Disney with yet ANOTHER code. Ignored it before because it was for same rate I already had. Remembered that different codes have different room inventories so called this morning. Waterview wasn't available but I got CBR standard for the dates I wanted for $629 for 6 nights ($94 + tax) which is what I had originally wanted in the first place.:bounce:

The cm was very helpful and we had a good laugh as we got everything worked out (in this resort, out of that one, cancelling, transferring my deposit AGAIN... though it never got transferred to AKL).

Also took the opportunity to make Chef Mickey ressies for breakfast at 11:15 on check-out day... fun way to leave the vacation.

Now all I have to do is get those Cindy ressies for the two 9 yo nieces.;)

Actually, it's kind of funny....if you go back and read the threads about CBR, it's amazing how many people who had reservations at CBR were absolutely only interested in the CBR. No other moderate would do, it was CBR or upgrade to deluxe. You would have thought POFQ was a dump! Now that it's going down for re-hab, it's the only moderate worth going to.

I guess that is because everyone has a different idea of what they like or dislike. For this trip we wanted to boat to DtD & the convenience of a small resort since DH is recovering from a major accident. If this whole thing had come up before the accident I wouldn't have a problem switching, now I do not want to be in another spread out moderate as that doesn't fit our needs at this point. Others have their heart set on POFQ for other reasons, lots of them like it because of its smaller size.

I've stayed at CBR before the rehab and enjoyed the resort. It is very much fitting to its name and had a lot to offer. Since it is so big it is off my list for now and I'm sure others have their reasons just as I have mine. POFQ is not the only moderate worth going to, its just the only one worth going to at this point in time for us.

If Disney offers me an alternative to the other mods that is suitable to fit our needs and budget, I'll take it. Otherwise I'll be looking to stay elsewhere since I am the one being inconvenienced by the move.

We were planning to stay at POFQ also because of the small size, more convenient with the baby. The boat to DtD, the nice sea serpent slide, and not-too-bad busing also figured in...and then there are those beignets! (sp?) It seemed perfect for us!

I may try to switch to CBR, but the size concerns me. And from what I've heard, we would have to drive to the parks because the busing: A. Takes too long, B. Is too crowded. (We were planning on renting a car anyway, but didn't want to drive to the parks.)

I've got time, so I guess for now I'll just wait and see what happens.:(

I talked to a supervisor at CRO this morning and was advised that the department that they have set up for the transfers is not operational yet. She advised it would be Sunday or Monday before they start the process. So if anyone has called this morning they probably didn't tlak to the right person. She did say there was a range of offers that were going to be made but that they did not have any of them in the computer yet. This is probably why they are saying no to upgrades. She said that they would be contacting us. So, those of us hoping for cheap upgrades, let's keep our fingers crossed.;) ;) ;)

Thank you, RescueRanger! Maybe between all of us we can figure out this CRO thing! :)

The person I spoke with this morning seemed to think she was the right person for POFQ transfers -- at least that was what she told me after I was transferred to her line. I hope your CRO supervisor was right about the discounts not being in the system yet, that would explain why they were not available to her.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

If Disney offers me an alternative to the other mods that is suitable to fit our needs and budget, I'll take it. Otherwise I'll be looking to stay elsewhere since I am the one being inconvenienced by the move.

Sounds sensible to me! It is an inconvenience, there's no doubt about that. The only problem is that there aren't really any deluxes that are small. I remember staying at the YC and just walking from our room to the elevator was a day's worth of excercise!

If one was looking for a smaller resort in the deluxe category, the WL is one that would best fit that description. It just doesn't seem as sprawling as some of the others do.

Luckytso--Did I recall that you said that you had the comeback special rate in your original post? We have that as well for our POFQ ressie for early December. If I recalled correctly, can you give me any idea what CRO will do with the comeback ressies? Thanks for posting!

christianweecare - yes, I have the comeback offer BAQ discount. However, the upgrade I was offered, as I was told, has nothing to do with the discount codes, it is purely based on whatever your are paying plus certain amount for upgrade, depending on resort.

It is very possible that the upgrades have not yet been in the system, because the CM who made the ressie for me had to look up some paperwork, and made special notation in my file.

With the comeback offer, I was able to change dates and resorts, but now with this special relocation thing, I am not sure I can make any more changes anymore.

Luckytso--Thank you for responding! I guess I will just wait to hear from CRO. We have the comeback rate for POFQ for four nights and AKL for three nights in early December. I would be nice to be offered an upgrade, but time will tell. DH & I really don't want to move to POR since we already have a ressie for that resort in January to take our grown kids and crew. We have stayed at CSR and really did not care for it. We do like CBR, however. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if we could get a nice rate at one of the deluxes, but I won't get my hopes up to high. What are your thoughts? Thanks, again!

How noisy to think it will be ??? altho we were really looking forward to having 2 big pools , I am only worried now that the noise from the rehab will carry over ?? Thanks Michelle

I am wondering if they will try to move some of the POR guests with a special priced upgrade to a deluxe? I am booked from 6/1-6/9 at POR. I have heard of them doing that to open up more rooms at a moderate & value resort for those who don't want to spend anymore than what they were originally paying. In addition to just out-right re-booking the room to guests without a previous reservation (mods & values can fill up faster than deluxes due to pricing). We booked POR for the same reasons as others...... the boat to DTD & the food court! I sound crazy, but I like the food court there. I am a Disney Dining Experience member & they offer the discount at that food court. The deluxes don't! And when you are feeding a family of 5 a 20% discount can add up fast!!!

NOt to sound too ignorant, but what is Disney Dining Experience?

NOt to sound too ignorant, but what is Disney Dining Experience?

I had the same question a few weeks ago and I was informed it was just for Florida residents.

I just called WDW and talked to the cm about what I read in the orlando sentinal link about POR closing in "phases" and he said that is a "fib" and that they are NOT closing POR at any time. I also asked about the beignets. We had quite a conversation about them. They are only made at POFQ. I asked him with POFQ closing will they start making them at POR and he didnt know but he hoped so. He said they do have a bakery there so who knows. He said that the chef that makes them at POFQ is a real New Orleans Chef and I am hoping that when they move the POFQ employees to new locations that the chef will go to riverside and continue to make his beignets. I just have to have some. So I am happy again.
Kim

KHuntress...you don't sound ignorant..it is only for FL residents & many non residents don't know about it....

The Disney Dining Experience is a membership that was $60 (now $75) per year. For that you get 20%off your total bill (including drinks) at most of the sit down resturants in the parks & resorts.....also some Down Town Disney resturants as well. You also get it at the food courts in the 3 All Stars Resorts, POR & POFQ. They send a quarterly newsletter with special food promo's to attend. It also gives you free parking in the Parks (with proof of meal purchase) till 5pm & then after 5 without a meal purchase. It gives you free Valet parking while dining at one of the resorts with avalet parking service. Over the years, the benifits have been cut & the price keeps going up. It use to be good for any party size, now they have a party of 6 limit (I am not sure if they enforce that or not). It also use to be good at most of the food courts in all the resorts & now it's not. Yes, I know Disney is a business but this is a club.... if you join a health club, they may up the price every year but they don't take away the equipment??? Just my 2 cents...

When I attempted to book a room for may 15 - 20 at POFQ last November, I was told that it would be closed. At the time I thought I misunderstood the woman i spoke to, and that she ment that no rooms were available at the discount code I use. Maybe I DID understand correctly? Who knows. I have been so disappointed that I could not get POFQ, and took POR instead. I am taking grama, and requested a h/c room. I too, am wondering how this will affect those staying at POR.

I just made my reservation last week -- and they took it! That's why I was so shocked, that just 5 days ago they were still taking ressies for a resort that will close in less than a month!

Doombuggy, I stayed in a HA room in POR once. It was on the second floor of Parterre Place (I was surprised that there were handicapped rooms on other than the first floor), but it was right around the corner from the elevator. Faced the river, real nice room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter