• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Important Info!!!

Originally posted by jcemom
I just made my reservation last week -- and they took it! That's why I was so shocked, that just 5 days ago they were still taking ressies for a resort that will close in less than a month!

Central Reservation's job is to book reservations. They do not make the decisions as to when major renovations will be done, or the affect that renovation will have.

They only know about it when they are told. Also the CM's that work at the affected resort don't make the decision even including the General Manager. He/she will be notified of the decision just like everyone else.

Disney World is a "huge" company with many facets and departments.

When you booked your reservation just 5 days ago I assure you the person who booked it knew nothing about this.

I understand completely how disappointing it is for those affected. However Disney resorts are open 365 days year round.

If you do a search for POFQ and PORiverside you will see comments from guests that have stated the resorts were beginning to show their age.

There would never be a time when someone was not inconvenienced by a major renovation, but Disney guests expect a level of quality at the resorts that can only be maintained with such a project.

I think the shock is not that the CM knew it was closing and still booked it, but that WDW allows CRO to book reservations for a hotel that WDW knows is closing. And really, if this is really a renovation, I would think it would be more planned than this, they don't just suddenly decide to start a 2 year renovation project 3 weeks from when they announce it. They would plan that out for a while and they should, at least, not take reservations since they knoew it would close May 3rd. I could see scheduling people for October (when my reservation is) since maybe they thought it would be somewhat completed by then, but not for May and June since it clearly won't be done then. And they just closed PO right after 9/11 and they claimed they did renovations then, so why does it need more already? Their business is down so they figure, why keep another resort open when we can pack those guests into other resorts and save on utility and staff bills. It really makes the most sense for them since they've really been in a slump for a few years. Sure, I'm upset I can't stay there as I've always wanted to but never did, but Disney knows that they have enough other properties available to make people happy, and with some discounts thrown in, pretty much everyone will satisfied.

khawk--I don't know who gave you your info. regarding the beignets, but we had three of them in the food court at POR last November. As far as I know, POR has always served them in their bakery area. Good eating!

Sammie you said it quite well. Disney has been probably weighing all there choices on what to do. They weren;t going to stop reservations, that would send up a red flag to guest and CRO staff which would send the rumors flying. And then what if they turned around and decided to hold the project off for a couple years. Besides they can now move those ressies to other resorts and help bring up the occupancy level.

And to comment on the last rehab. It was basically new linens and carpets. This one sounds like a total gut and redo.

I hope everyone understands that there is *no* *way* this is actually a renovation. It simply does not fit how Disney does renovations. And it would never take 2 years. This is a closing of a hotel in a time when they have too many rooms empty. Look at the delay in opening Pop Century. Calling it a "renovation" is Disney's way of spinning the closure. It happening in less than a month is because Disney needs to cut costs *now*.

Originally posted by justhat
I think the shock is not that the CM knew it was closing and still booked it, but that WDW allows CRO to book reservations for a hotel that WDW knows is closing.

That is exactly what I meant!

I called WDW and was talking to the cm about POR closing. He told me that POR was NOT closing at any time. I told him I read it in the orlando sentinal and he said it was a "fib". But we also discussed the beignets and he said they are only sold at POFQ that the chef who works there and makes them is a real New Orleans chef. I also checked out the menus for the restaurants at POR and didnt see the beignets on the menu's. You can find the menus on debs board. But if you say you got them at POR then I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I can get them there when I am there also.
Kim

khawk -

Your posts that keep popping up about the beignets are making me laugh! However, I'm glad you asked. After staying at the resort many times, I finally ate my first beignets in October. I totally agree with you about how yummy they are. I didn't know they stopped making them at Riverside! They are a delicious and cheap breakfast. I am looking forward to eating some in May. I also hope they start making them at Riverside again, even if it's just while POFQ is closed.

He told me that POR was NOT closing at any time. I told him I read it in the orlando sentinal and he said it was a "fib"

The article said POR will be closing some buildings as they are renovated, but the entire resort will not be closed. So technically he is right in saying POR will not be closing.

2 Years!!! OMGosh! I wanted to stay there in Oct. 2004...Oh well..guess I'll have to find another place

More than likely, you will be OK if you want to stay at PO-FQ. Those renovations should be completed by then, and they should be working on PO-R.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere--though I can't remember where--that POFQ was expected to be completed June 2004, and POR would be started in sections following the POFQ.
...Wish I could remember where I saw that...:confused:

It might have been me who wrote that, jcemom. We have two sets of ressies at POFQ, one this August and one in June 2004. When I spoke with the PO relocation person on the special line, she said we would definitely need to modify the August reservation, but not the June 2004 one, because at this point they thought POFQ would be done by then. She didn't have a hard reopening date, though, so it's possible things may change as time goes on. We'll just have to wait and see.

We were set to arrive at POFQ May 1. Disney contacted our TA today with the news of the renovations and offered us the Poly for $30 extra per night. We had 2 rooms booked and by the time I called the other family members with the news, my TA had closed for the day. I'm praying they will be able to accept the upgrade offer tomorrow so I don't get stuck somewhere else.
We are so disappointed since we have had this trip booked for over a year and have stayed at POFQ before and love it! I find it suspicious that we are only being contacted now with this news when our trip is in 3 weeks.

We are so disappointed since we have had this trip booked for over a year and have stayed at POFQ before and love it! I find it suspicious that we are only being contacted now with this news when our trip is in 3 weeks.

I know that you are disappointed, and I certainly hope that you are able to take advantage of the offer of the Poly tomorrow. That is why I don't go through TA's, I like to be able to call myself, and not leave it up to someone else.

Anyway, if you think that you had a shock, think of the poor castmembers who only found out the resort was closing over this past weekend. The same thing was done at the Carribbean Beach Resort this past fall. No notice was given, and it is believed it is due to whomever is contracted to do the renovations and when they can start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter