Pop Century Room Renovations

They are starting to work on building 10. They were carrying out old mattresses today and carrying other stuff in. Also, we walked over to AOA and they were starting to work on the bridge. They did let us cross. Taking a park day off tomorrow so I'll check out the bridge again.
Very exciting news as I really want 70's for late November!! If you get a chance can you ask about the bridge? How long it will be closed for? I hope it may be open for my trip as we planned to walk over to AoA for food.

Just checked in, Bldg 9. He said just released "this week" so smells very new. Just here for one night (a side trip from beach to do GMR). Raining. If stops may walk bridge to eat dinner at AoA on way to park.

Pros and Cons to room. As I expected with floor, room echos and a week and already scuffs and dirty spots. Gonna need to stay on housekeeping.
This doesn't sound promising!! I figured having these floors, it would be easy to keep clean. I don't expect to see dirty spots. Sounds like housekeeper didn't mop after last occupant. Yuck.
Hope the rain lets up! I sure will miss GMR!!

This doesn't sound promising!! I figured having these floors, it would be easy to keep clean. I don't expect to see dirty spots. Sounds like housekeeper didn't mop after last occupant. Yuck.
Hope the rain lets up! I sure will miss GMR!!

Bedroom is light brown, DS said they should have gone darker closer to furniture you might not see spots. Also not just spots but scuff marks.

Bathroom is white vinyl, who thought that was good idea. It's laid with a "grout" that is already trapping dirt. Also some tiles are nicked and uneven.

I say this as vinyl plank is being laid in my kitchen while I'm gone ....

Thanks for the update!

As I expected with floor, room echos
I was afraid of this. I'm eager to stay there in November, hopefully will get a refurbished room and get to experience it firsthand. The floor has been one of my biggest concerns. Are you on a top or bottom floor? Do you think it makes a difference or are there echoes through the walls as well?

Sad about the scuff marks! These rooms are brand new, and scuff marks already?! Sad!

Thanks for the update!

I was afraid of this. I'm eager to stay there in November, hopefully will get a refurbished room and get to experience it firsthand. The floor has been one of my biggest concerns. Are you on a top or bottom floor? Do you think it makes a difference or are there echoes through the walls as well?

Sad about the scuff marks! These rooms are brand new, and scuff marks already?! Sad!
I guess they should give each guest slippers at check-in.

however is it worthwhile to actually call Pop Century (provided someone knows the phone number???
Even if anyone had the number, the CMs probably can't accept calls. The Room Assigners are assigning rooms and the Front Desk CMs are working with guests.
all non-adjoining rooms
To be completely accurate, they all are adjoining rooms. They're not connecting rooms with the inside doors.

Bedroom is light brown, DS said they should have gone darker closer to furniture you might not see spots. Also not just spots but scuff marks.

Bathroom is white vinyl, who thought that was good idea. It's laid with a "grout" that is already trapping dirt. Also some tiles are nicked and uneven.

I say this as vinyl plank is being laid in my kitchen while I'm gone ....
White vinyl :sad2: this is so wrong. Sounds like they didn't get commercial grade either if it's already getting nicks.
Shame people aren't taking care of things in their room. I've always expected my children to treat a hotel room with the same respect as home.
What are the spots from? I wouldn't worry about your vinyl plank. We just had it installed in the winter in our basement Rec room after we had water damage on our laminate. I wish we knew about this product before. It's been great, easy to keep clean, no scuffs- but we don't wear shoes inside. However I've moved furniture and no scuffs or scrapes. The room is less hollow sounding too.

Well I am 60 days away from check in :D But at a guess I will be getting an old room as I am staying prefered and dont think any of those rooms have been done yet.

See you there neighbor :wave:. I was also hopeful for a refurbed room but its not lookin likely.

White vinyl :sad2: this is so wrong. Sounds like they didn't get commercial grade either if it's already getting nicks.
Shame people aren't taking care of things in their room. I've always expected my children to treat a hotel room with the same respect as home.
What are the spots from? I wouldn't worry about your vinyl plank. We just had it installed in the winter in our basement Rec room after we had water damage on our laminate. I wish we knew about this product before. It's been great, easy to keep clean, no scuffs- but we don't wear shoes inside. However I've moved furniture and no scuffs or scrapes. The room is less hollow sounding too.

I know I'll have to take care of mine - I went with grey oak grain. Kitchen is black and grey ... HM inspired.

The one long scuff is the exact path the chairs would take when moving them to open bed. Don't know what the other big one is. A black scuff on "lower molding" of bath maybe a black sole shoe. Spots all over, I just think housekeeping will sweep and barely mop and over time will build up. Choice for bath not good, really could have just continued same from bed.

I'll be back at beach tomorrow night and will post some pics and give overall.

I will for sure return IF RATE STAYS close to now due to queen very comfortable beds, nice bath, beverage center as we bring food and I like the dresser a lot.

Story: When we walked in room DS1 (who is disabled) looked confused and DS2 said "where are you going to sleep?" He seemed worried. Then DD2 opened bed and DS1 giggled and said "my bed". I was going to put them in the real bed but, no DS1 really wanted the Pluto bed.

EDIT: this morning turned on all the lights, lots of scuff even what might be scratchs on floor.

Last edited:
This is the last day of our stay at Pop. We have enjoyed the stay and I'm sure we will be back again. I loved everything about the refurbished rooms. Building 7 still has all the work papers on the windows and a lot of construction workers running around. They now have a construction wall up on one side of the bridge, it is along the lake side. Now heading over to CR for the next part of our trip.

To those upset about the lack of carpet in the new rooms, take a look at the refurb being done to Coronado. Almost the exact same changes, including the laminate flooring. I'm guessing this will be the new normal for rooms in the moderate and value level (although there is the rumor that those two classifications will disappear soon) so we may have to get used to it.

To those upset about the lack of carpet in the new rooms, take a look at the refurb being done to Coronado. Almost the exact same changes, including the laminate flooring. I'm guessing this will be the new normal for rooms in the moderate and value level (although there is the rumor that those two classifications will disappear soon) so we may have to get used to it.

They've done the same at YC as well.

I really wish they'd at least put a runner rug in front of like, the beds/TV area. Yeah, I use rugs to scuff the scum off the bottom of my shoes, but a rug would be easier to replace than scuffed flooring. It would help dampen noise. Some more art on the wall would allow them to be playful with theming.

I do like the cleanliness.

That being said, I had my Disney Travel Agent request my room for me, and I check in Aug. 29th. Building 9, as close to 9108 as possible. It was our room last time in 2013 on our Engagement Trip, and now our Honeymoon.

Oh, speaking of Honeymoon, and how the rooms echo... err, being coy about it... how well does tossing in one's sleep, footfalls, or even toilet flushing sound travel through the walls from room to room? Can you hear the murmur of conversation in he next room?

My Magic Bands are coming soon, I'm so excited. I hope my Magical Express tags come soon too, but those go through my Travel Agent first, apparently.

I know I'll have to take care of mine - I went with grey oak grain. Kitchen is black and grey ... HM inspired.

Story: When we walked in room DS1 (who is disabled) looked confused and DS2 said "where are you going to sleep?" He seemed worried. Then DD2 opened bed and DS1 giggled and said "my bed". I was going to put them in the real bed but, no DS1 really wanted the Pluto bed.

How many in your traveling party?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter