Poly vs Contemporary

blakefamily

Mouseketeer
Really wanting to stay at either poly or contemporary 3/2-3/5. Wondering what kind of discount may be coming out? What would good rate be for a standard room?? Trying to see what I may expect to pay. Hoping someone has had a decent discount in the past??? Thanks

Disney offers discounts to general public, APs, Military, & FL resident, with general public coming first. The Polynesian is usually about $85-100 more than the Contemporary (in my experience). They're both great resorts and the monorail is a huge perk at both. The Poly is a step above for us since we really like Kona Cafe and 'Ohana. I have seen the Contemporary as low as $320/night with a discount for a standard room. Usually, the rack rate for the Contemporary is a lot more. Polynesian is more popular for standard view rooms so discounts tend to be spotty but certainly not impossible. You can't go wrong with either resort!

Hope this helps!

Really wanting to stay at either poly or contemporary 3/2-3/5. Wondering what kind of discount may be coming out? What would good rate be for a standard room?? Trying to see what I may expect to pay. Hoping someone has had a decent discount in the past??? Thanks

Granted discounts always change so you can't rely on the past, but the general public discount for Poly and CR that covered this past March was a measly 10% off rack rate. No bueno in my book. Poly and CR have both been pretty low this year depending on the promotion - 10-15%. Historically I have seen better at both resorts, but not this year!

Granted discounts always change so you can't rely on the past, but the general public discount for Poly and CR that covered this past March was a measly 10% off rack rate. No bueno in my book. Poly and CR have both been pretty low this year depending on the promotion - 10-15%. Historically I have seen better at both resorts, but not this year!
Thanks for the info.

Love the Poly. Contemporary not so much. It is to bland. It is like any other modern hotel in any city to me. It is right next to the MK so it has that. But the Poly is on the monorail. I love the tropical feel about it. Just something about the place. I would consider renting points and staying DVC. Much better then rack rates at both your choices. Don't know the size of your party but if there are four or five of you will at least have a kitchenette in a studio. If you are more then 5 then I would say the contemporary in a larger unit.

In warm weather, I'd prefer Poly which has a better pool. It's a coin toss if early March will be warm or cool, though...

If you take the pool out of the equation, I'd pick CR. Better rooms and more convenient access to MK.

We've stayed at both and love them both but for different reasons.

Are there make/break things fir you with hotels?

DH prefers indoor corridors (CR) versus the separate buildings (Polly)

Sometimes depends on what our touring & dining plans are
We love the Wave for breakfast @CR (best all around good food buffet on property for all of us)
But we love Ohana for dinner and being on site for Trader Sams is fun (not sure age if your kiddos)

Our kids love the Polly pools

We actually like the more subdued theming of the Contemporary because we get to stay in the bubble ad get away from all of the themes.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Rack rates:
CR $509 - $712
Poly $590 - $844

These are the range of non CL average prices currently listed on the WDW website for your dates. Discounts in the distant past have been good, but recently not so much. A great discount would be like 30% off, but realistically (like GADisneyDad14 said), there could be nothing at all or limited room categories at maybe 10 - 20 % off.

You do have options, though. You could still look at renting points for BLT or the Poly studios, I think.
OR
If you are interested in staying at the CR or Poly regardless of discount, then I would book the category and price that you are comfortable with now. The lowest prices above would be the standard room rates. Room categories do sell out.
If you have a budget and want to decide on the room after discounts are released, I would book a resort with a room priced at a level that you are comfortable with now and change if a discount makes a move to a preferred resort more in line with your requirements. That way you won't be stuck looking for a room with many rooms sold out after discounts are released.

We typically book a value or a moderate for the entire stay at first, then change to a split stay with a deluxe, depending upon discounts when they are released. That way we can still book dining and FP+ at the appropriate times and we know that we have somewhere to stay that we can be happy with, if necessary, regardless of discounts.

The Poly and the CR are two of our favourite resorts! I am certain that you will love either one.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Have you looked into renting DVC points for Poly? I don't know if it's all booked up yet or not, but you can get essentially the same room for a lot cheaper that way. Somewhere below $400 a night if I am remembering correctly.

Thanks so much everyone!!! I tried to rent points for a studio and at first everyone was responding that Poly only had partial availability, and the only other studio options were SSR, OKW and some AKL. BUT, then someone had a confirmed reservation for my dates :) I am working with them now, they are getting my name on reservation and we should be confirming today after that :) :) Standard view Studio at POLY :) We are very excited. Long story short, we are staying a week offsite @ WBC with another family (friends with 2 toddlers) and then my hubby, 12yr old daughter and myself will head to Poly for 3 nights when they head home and we will have our own mini WDW vacation. We had been trying to make a Hawaii trip happen before booking this trip but that didn't work out and with our own timeshare and RCI, Orlando is always a favorite option. I am very excited to stay at Poly and have a little Island vibe while at Disney :) I'm sure I'll have more questions :) THANKS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter