• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly Royal Adventure.ClubLevelBaby!5/14 DIAGON ALLEY BONUS Finale 7/15

I'm a big Simpsons fan, that looks like too much fun. Only been for Universal for one day, it was fun, I intend to go back someday.

The Harry Potter stuff is too cool. I'm hoping to hear what you guys did there!

How was the Universal Hotel? Very curious.

As always, great report.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

WOW, 30 minutes for QS food???? Kinda defeats the purpose of Quick Service I think.

I "think" at Uni they're "Team Members". So yeah, kinda boring.

That's my one major problem at Universal and that is the locker situation. In short... I HATE THEM! But the Mummy!!!! :lovestruc Before Manta opened, this was my favourite ride in Florida.

Oooh sounds like FJ still doesn't take Express Pass. :sad2:

No pun intended, but Spiderman is AMAZING. Can you believe this opened in 1999? It still feels pretty cutting edge.

If your boys love roller coasters, they will definitely love the US parks! JetBlue has some really affordable flights, but Richmond is only a 1.5 hour flight away. I guess from the Mid-West the extra fuel needed adds on to the price! You'll just have to move! :thumbsup2

Haven't decided on costumes yet. In september it will be hot I assume, so that does limit some choices! Hope you get to check out MNNSHP!

The boys are not quite there yet as far as roller coasters are concerned. They have rode the mild ones and love them but are not brave enough to ride the bigs ones. This is why I choose Disney for our May vacation. Actully talked the hubby into doing another trip to Disney in the near future. Next year will be our couple vacation so we are hoping in either two or three years going back then. The boys should be ready and so we plan on adding two or three days at the Universal area.

I bet when you do decide on your costume you will not reveal them until your next TR just to keep me in suspense,

Yay for an impromptu trip! Sounds like a fun weekend! Boo to the bad food service, but it sounds like your day got better. Can't wait to hear more. :)

Holy cow!!! An impromptu trip to Universal!!!!! Your 3 Florida trips are so close together - I'm living vicariously!!! :)

I'm a big Universal fan in addition to Disney, so I'm along for the ride! We're going to Universal to see Diagon Alley in October. Your Hogwarts Express report is making me sooo excited!!!

Weird that the donut Team Member (incidentally Universal employees are called Team Members) had an attitude problem, but glad it was only better from there!! Yay for the Mummy, frozen butter beer and Spiderman!! It's amazing to think how much you got done so soon after landing at MCO!

Enjoying your report!! :)

October sounds like the perfect time to go to DA! It will be less crowded and cooler temperatures. I know you will love it!

I love heading to the park on the day we land! Especially now with scheduled Fastpasses at Disney!

I'm sure the long wait was due to the high volume season. We ate there in January and it was empty. We had to wait super long for a Duff Beer and I think that's because we didn't speak up when all the workers were faced the opposite way. I try to be very patient and not say much.

Oh my that donut looks awesome. Donuts are my true weakness. I have no willpower for them.

Yay! So glad you got to ride Hogwarts Express. I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I can't wait to see Diagon Alley. Hogsmeade blew me away when we visited. And I just know I'm going to have a hard time separating from it in September.

Spider-man is one of my favorites. I think we rode it like 4 times in January.

Loving the update. I love Universal. Don't get my wrong Disney is my ultimate happy place and I can't wait to get back but there is just something about Universal that draws me in as well.

Disney will always be my happy place but I love how Universal is really stepping up their game! I want Disney and Universal to compete for my affections! :lovestruc

I have never met a donut I didn't like. Powdered, caked, glazed, creme filled, chocolate....:cloud9:

How fun to get a quick holiday weekend trip in! I haven't been to Universal for quite awhile and I know it's changed considerably.

Last Monday night, NBC aired an hour long special focusing on the building of Diagon Alley and Hogwarts Express. It was really interesting and I would like to figure out a way to work that in on our next Disney trip.

Looking forward to reading more!

I had not been to Universal since the mid to late 90s. A lot has improved since then! I saw that NBC special as well! Really does get you excited!

This is so cool! An impromptu trip to Orlando! We're hoping to visit Universal next June when we will be in Orlando for 10 days and stay a couple of nights on-site so your mini-trip report is providing a nice preview. :thumbsup2

And being a Simpsons fan, that pink donut is just spot on.

Great job on the photobomb! :lmao:

10-day trip! Wow! You would definitely have time to work in a side trip to US. By then the hype around DA shall have died down some and it shouldn't be too crazy!

Right?! I was so looking forward to that donut! Some people want a Duff beer, but I just wanted the donut!

I'm a big Simpsons fan, that looks like too much fun. Only been for Universal for one day, it was fun, I intend to go back someday.

The Harry Potter stuff is too cool. I'm hoping to hear what you guys did there!

How was the Universal Hotel? Very curious.

As always, great report.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The Royal Pacific Hotel was....nice. Like staying at a normal nice hotel. I think Disney wins when it comes to theming! It seemed like a combo of a Deluxe and a moderate resort. Definitely worth staying for the Express Passes though!

WOW, 30 minutes for QS food???? Kinda defeats the purpose of Quick Service I think.

I "think" at Uni they're "Team Members". So yeah, kinda boring.

That's my one major problem at Universal and that is the locker situation. In short... I HATE THEM! But the Mummy!!!! :lovestruc Before Manta opened, this was my favourite ride in Florida.

Oooh sounds like FJ still doesn't take Express Pass. :sad2:

No pun intended, but Spiderman is AMAZING. Can you believe this opened in 1999? It still feels pretty cutting edge.

Slow-service is a much better name! The "team member" working there said that 2:30pm is actually the busiest time of day. But still, 30 minutes to order?!?

At the Mummy there were "no lockers available". So we had to stalk people and wait for them to get their stuff out before we could get a locker. But, yes, Mummy is one of my top 3 favorite rides!! "This interview would have been great, if I could GET MY CUP OF COFFEE!!".

1999?!? Seriously?! I am shocked. I thought it must have opened in the last few years! That is ah-maze-ing!

The boys are not quite there yet as far as roller coasters are concerned. They have rode the mild ones and love them but are not brave enough to ride the bigs ones. This is why I choose Disney for our May vacation. Actully talked the hubby into doing another trip to Disney in the near future. Next year will be our couple vacation so we are hoping in either two or three years going back then. The boys should be ready and so we plan on adding two or three days at the Universal area.

I bet when you do decide on your costume you will not reveal them until your next TR just to keep me in suspense,

Another Disney trip coming up soon!:cheer2:

I have thought about a lot of costume ideas. I promise I am not trying to keep you in suspense! Once I decide on them though, the fun of planning will be over! Gotta stretch it out. :rotfl: I am leaning towards going as the Blank Vinylmation couple from the short film. Would be pretty easy to pull off and we watched the movie on Valentines day and this is an Anniversary trip!

Yay for an impromptu trip! Sounds like a fun weekend! Boo to the bad food service, but it sounds like your day got better. Can't wait to hear more. :)

After consuming that pink donut of deliciousness, the whole trip got better! :rotfl:

Before we went to bed, I started to set my alarm for 6ish so we could eat a quick breakfast and get to WWoHP by 7:30am (8:00am opening for resort guests). But we were exhausted! Monday and Tuesday were really long work days, and I usually start the mornings with a 5:45am workout. Dog gone it, Will and I wanted to sleep in on vacation! I told Will we could sleep in IF he didn’t give me any grief about waiting in a long line for Forbidden Journey the next day. He was definitely sold! So we didn’t even set an alarm, and got up around 9am.

IMAGE_78.jpg

Had a great buffet breakfast at Islands Dining room at the resort. We felt so relaxed and in a much better place to face a crowded park!

When we got down to the boat dock, we just missed the boat (literally) so we decided to walk the path to the park and it was an easy 8-10 minute walk. Mainly shaded. We started off the day at Islands of Adventure.

We went to the Cat in the Hat ride first and were loving those Express Passes all day!!!

IMAGE_79.jpg

Cat in the Hat is a dark ride where “NO PICTURES” is strongly enforced. This was similar everywhere at US. What are they afraid of? Disney stealing their technology?!

Pretty cute, not a headliner, but was fun. We then went on Dr. Seuss Trolley, which is like the WEDway peoplemover in a way, but with an annoying announcer and less cool views. Comfy seats though!!

We eventually made our way to WWoHP and decided to reap what we had sewn and stepped in the 75 minute line (Tragically, no Express Pass option). Could have been worse. We wisely left any bags at the resort (I actually had a small passport-sized purse that I kept secured under my raincoat) so we got to skip the FJ lockers of doom, which must have shaved 15 minutes off the expected time as we were in and out in 60minutes instead of 75.

If you had not heard by now, the queue in FJ is ah-may-zing!!!! The ride is really intense but I thought extremely well done!! There is not much I am willing to wait 60 minutes for, but this is one of those things!

While in the Hogsmeade area we went on the Dueling Dragons roller coaster and waited for the front row, which was so worth it!! I love fast roller coasters. Loops I could do without though! I don’t feel ill, just kind of confused as to what is going on when I am upside down!

Despite only being 4 rides in, it was past lunch time by now! We went to Mythos as we wanted a cool place to eat and this is the only sit down I know of located in Islands of Adventure. The wait was about 30 minutes.

IMAGE_80.jpg

IMAGE_81.jpg

IMAGE_82.jpg

IMAGE_83.jpg

I got the Pad Thai, which I did not take a picture of. It was ok, but not the best I have ever had. We then split the “peanut butter-oreo ice cream cake dessert”.

IMAGE_84.jpg

Was almost too sweet, even for me, which trust me, is saying a lot!

After lunch we wanted to push on and move over to US to continue rides there. I wanted to take the Hogwarts Express over there, but somebody (cough, Will, cough) didn’t want the 15 minute wait and wanted to walk instead. It was so hot, that by the time we made it out to the front of IoA, we were overwhelmed. We started pacing ourselves and saying, ok, let’s walk to that shade from that tree. Then we would regroup and look for the next shade. On one of our frequent breaks (seriously would not go more than 20 feet without trying to find shade) we saw on the map there was an “American Express Lounge” in US. If you buy your tickets with an AMEX card, you can enjoy free snacks and bottled water there. The pictures online looked swanky! So, we decided we could push ourselves and make it there to take a proper break to cool off.

Once we got in the US park, finding the darn lounge was a whole ‘nother adventure. Once we finally found it, we were so happy to go in and cool off!

The lounge experience though was so weird!!! It did not look like the pictures online. It felt to me exactly like a Pediatrician office. Cartoons playing on a TV in the corner. Small chairs put together. Lots of people crammed in. The water bottles were the tiny ones but we were grateful for even those. We kept expecting a nurse to walk out and tell us it was our time to go back for our shots though.

IMAGE_85.jpg

IMAGE_86.jpg

We just sat in silence for a while and cooled off and eventually a lot of people left. At this point, I gave Will the option of going back to the resort for a while and coming back in the evening. He readily agreed! So we were able to make our way out and grab a boat and cool off in our room.

While Will was in a semi-heat-coma, I was trollin’ the DIS to see if there were any interesting updates.

Let me take a moment to share my observations of Disney fans vs US fans. I have been on the DIS for a while, all for Disney related info. People get into heated debates over everything with such a passion! The 7DMT soft-opening lookout thread was like 50 pages long. When I wanted to look up info on US, those threads are pretty bare!!! The Diagon Alley Soft-opening lookout thread had like one reply every other day!!! I tried other webpages as well, and in general, US threads just don’t seem to get as much lovin’!

Anyhoo, one of the Diagon Alley soft-opening threads mentioned that right at that moment they had opened!!! First day of it being opened to the general public, another technical rehearsal.

I told Will, BREAK OVER!

I knew there would be no guarantee that it would still be open by the time we made it there, but I knew I had to try!!

We rehydrated, reapplied sunscreen and hightailed it over to the boat dock. We had actually been at the resort for about 2 hours and in those hours the temperature had dropped 10 degrees and the difference was amazing. The rain clouds had rolled in and everything was darker and even misty. A boat came in lickity split and we walked as fast as we could to the Diagon Alley entrance……

and……

they were open!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

To be continued…..

Elena....loving this mini-TR to Universal/IoA. We were there 2 years ago and I agree with you 100% about WWoHP. Universal definitely upped their game here and from what I've read about Diagon Alley, they topped themselves. Can you imagine what Disney would have done with Harry Potter?

Yeah, they really are anti picture at Universal. I get it in certain situations, but Universal is quite extreme. God help you if you try to take a red neck ride photo.

Good call on avoiding the FJ lockers... easily the worst of the bunch. And while it does suck not having Express, at least the queue is so darn good that the wait isn't intolerable. In fact, it's almost necessary to really get the most out of the experience.

Elena....loving this mini-TR to Universal/IoA. We were there 2 years ago and I agree with you 100% about WWoHP. Universal definitely upped their game here and from what I've read about Diagon Alley, they topped themselves. Can you imagine what Disney would have done with Harry Potter?

Universal has topped themselves, and dare I say even Disney with Diagon Alley! I am sure Disney would have made an incredible WWoHP. Though, with the snail's pace they took with 7DMT, they might not have broken ground yet.;)

Yeah, they really are anti picture at Universal. I get it in certain situations, but Universal is quite extreme. God help you if you try to take a red neck ride photo.

Good call on avoiding the FJ lockers... easily the worst of the bunch. And while it does suck not having Express, at least the queue is so darn good that the wait isn't intolerable. In fact, it's almost necessary to really get the most out of the experience.

The ride photos are so covered up I couldn't even see what we looked like! And yes, there is a TM guarding them. jeesh!

I thought the FJ ride itself was amazing, but you are right, the queue adds so much to it!

The entrance to Diagon Alley is really magical. The outside looks like a brick wall, but you walk in through an entrance and you are right there in the middle of a Harry Potter novel!

Magical is a word thrown around a lot, but I can’t think of another word to describe this. Up until that moment, I really thought Disney had cornered the market of intricate details and hidden surprises. Well, Diagon Alley was a whole different level to anything I had seen yet at IoA or US, and even some parts of Disney.

IMAGE_89.jpg

IMAGE_99.jpg

IMAGE_100.jpg

QKxV54OYQrI3XwZmY2Wr4E1oiImJoDQzLUQj-up599Q=w369-h499-no

IMG_20140703_190852.jpg

IMG_20140703_190017.jpg

IMG_20140703_185618.jpg

IMG_20140703_185558.jpg

PANO_20140703_185417.jpg

IMG_20140703_185411.jpg

IMG_20140703_185401.jpg

IMG_20140703_185050.jpg

IMG_20140703_185039.jpg

IMG_20140703_184839.jpg

At random times, the dragon on top of Gringotts starts to rumble. It gives you enough time to position yourself to see the huge fireball go off!

GringottsJuly3.jpg

Photo Credit to https://mobile.twitter.com/hatetofly

We walked around marveling for about an hour. Every window has something to look at. I so wanted a wand!!! There are many interactive windows, so if you have a wand and wave it something cool happens (water falls down, pots stir, lights turn on, ect). I tried to justify the expense of the wand (around $35) for anything in the “real world”. I couldn’t think of anything unfortunately!

Diagon Alley Selfie

IMAGE_93.jpg

There is also a Knockturn Alley, which you could totally miss if you don’t know to look for it. It is a dark alley that leads you to more displays and a shop where you can buy Voldemort and Slytherin items. Though, surely that can’t be big sellers for them!? I have read the books several times and have decided the sorting hat would definitely put me in Hufflepuff. The underdogs. They are the hard, loyal workers. Must not be big sellers though as there was not a lot of Hufflepuff merchandise! Recently, Buzzfeed described the personalities of each house which confirmed my Hufflepuff guess for myself. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/what-your-hogwarts-house-actually-says-about-you
(credit to that link goes to Missyrose)

We were hungry enough for dinner, so we went to the Leaky Cauldron. This is a quick service which seemed very similar to Three Broomsticks, set-up wise.

Again, not the best choices for Vegetarians.

IMAGE_91.jpg

IMAGE_2.jpg

IMAGE_15.jpg

IMAGE_16.jpg

We got the Ploughman’s, which is at the top of the menu. A spread of cheese and salad and bread. We skipped the Scottish egg. At that point, I was so in love with Diagon Alley that someone could be giving me a can of Alpo and I would have enjoyed it. Especially with a Pumpkin Juice!

IMAGE_1.jpg

Will got something orange-flavored, an Orange-fizz maybe? The Pumpkin juice was fantastic, and reminded me of Apple Cider, but obviously pumpkin version!

We then continued our tour and went into some of the shops.

IMAGE_101.jpg

IMAGE_103.jpg

IMAGE_90.jpg

The only thing not open in Diagon Alley was Escape from Gringotts. They were guarding it closely!

IMAGE_4.jpg

I asked one of the “Team members” (thanks CJK and Rob!) who was guarding Gringotts what was up with the show of force? Were people trying to sneak in? He was super friendly and said basically they were all assigned to the ride and since it was closed they had nothing else to do so they were told to stand there.

We were allowed to test out the seats though!

gring.jpg

We really did not want to leave, but we only had a few more hours and there were several US rides I wanted to do. We pulled ourselves away not knowing if it would close any moment. We went on the ET ride (which I really enjoyed!), Mummy again, the Men in Black (a ride similar to Buzz Lightyear, but as much as I love Disney, MiB was better IMHO!), and finally the Rip Ride Roller Coaster. The RRR is now up there with my favorite coasters of all time! It is all about speed along with timed music you select (you can choose Rock, County, Rap, Pop, or Club. No classical for some odd reason). I chose Daft Punk!

It was getting close to closing time, and we wanted to see if we could get ice cream at Diagon Alley. They were still letting people in! The line for ice cream seemed pretty long, but only was about 10 minutes. Will asked the Team member at the end of the line the different flavors and she named a really long list. At the end she smiled and was like Phew! I told her great job and she says she had been practicing the whole day before memorizing them all :)

IMAGE_5.jpg

Will got the Strawberry-Peanut Butter Sundae. I got a dish of the Butterbeer softserve. I could not shut up about that ice cream. I kept telling Will, It is so good!!! So creamy!!!!. We sat outside of Gringotts and watched the dragon breathe fire into the dark night for a few cycles, before we finally decided it was time to head out.

I felt so grateful to be allowed in to DA when it was not expected!!! Opening day was today and the wait to get in to Diagon Alley was SIX HOURS by noon.

The team members all seemed to be as excited as the guests. There were management looking people walking around as well. It was just such an exciting time! If you can’t tell from my gushing, I highly recommend the experience!!!
We left a little before closing, so we were able to avoid the rush out and were back in the room for the night.

Tomorrow we would be saying so-long US and helllllooooo Disney for the 4th!pixiedust:

Oh wow so glad you got to see Diagon Alley. I have been following the grand opening all day today and looking at pictures never gets old.

RRR is pretty awesome. I was crazy nervous the whole wait though that first incline just terrifies me. Reminds me too much of the rides that go straight up and back down. But I will be back on RRR in September.

I can't wait to get ice cream at DA.

Thanks for the awesome update.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter