Poly fans - convince me it's worth it

StuckinPA

Mouseketeer
I'm staying at AKL for one night June 11 and am hoping to book a bounceback for my son and I in November or December and have always dreamed of staying at the Poly. We're big AKL fans, and also love the moderates we've stayed at, but I have that nagging in me to try the Poly because I've always dreamed of a stay there. I may split the stay still because of price/budget. But can you tell why it is or isn't worth it?

:)

I'm staying at AKL for one night June 11 and am hoping to book a bounceback for my son and I in November or December and have always dreamed of staying at the Poly. We're big AKL fans, and also love the moderates we've stayed at, but I have that nagging in me to try the Poly because I've always dreamed of a stay there. I may split the stay still because of price/budget. But can you tell why it is or isn't worth it?

Worth is subjective as it's different for everyone, but we love the Poly and think it's worth is for the following reasons:

- large, spacious rooms with all rooms having a daybed
- beautiful tropical atmosphere
- great pool that backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle (can watch Wishes while swimming)
- only 2 monorail stops to MK (3 coming back)
- a quick 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail
- Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals/snacks
- convenient to the GF and CR for a variety of great dining options

:wizard:

I agree with Mickeynut1's post and am also going to add the ability to watch wishes from the beach or your room, dole whip availability only a walk away (love this one), Trader Sam's, evening outdoor entertainment, brand new kids splash area (depending on your son's age), and access to all the amenities of the MK area within walking distance or just a boat/monorail ride away. A real great place to stay.

Last edited:

I loved the Poly and we have stayed at almost all the deluxe resorts, the vibe there was so relaxed, the scenery gorgeous and our room was still the nicest we have stayed in. I loved the bathroom, it is so nice and big and the vanity was great. The Poly is still my favorite even after recent stays at the Contemporary and Beach Club. I am dreaming of a return to the Poly in August of 2017. We even stayed during construction and it still is my favorite.

Agree with everything above but will add two more-

Boat ride to (and especially from in evenings) MK is beautiful and in my opinion easier than the monorail.

Also- the electrical water pageant along with the previously mentioned Wishes..watching these from room, pool, or beach is priceless.

Worth is subjective as it's different for everyone, but we love the Poly and think it's worth is for the following reasons:

- large, spacious rooms with all rooms having a daybed
- beautiful tropical atmosphere
- great pool that backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle (can watch Wishes while swimming)
- only 2 monorail stops to MK (3 coming back)
- a quick 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail
- Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals/snacks
- convenient to the GF and CR for a variety of great dining options

:wizard:

YES!! I agree with all of these!

Agree with everything above but will add two more-

Boat ride to (and especially from in evenings) MK is beautiful and in my opinion easier than the monorail.

Also- the electrical water pageant along with the previously mentioned Wishes..watching these from room, pool, or beach is priceless.

I was thinking of that boat ride as well!!

I would like to add the TS dining choices are also great at the Poly. We love Kona Cafe and O'hanas (our most recent dining adventure - i can't believe that we had never eaten here before). That bread pudding is AWESOME at O'Hanas! the view of the fireworks was nice while finishing dinner, too!

YES!! I agree with all of these!

I was thinking of that boat ride as well!!

I would like to add the TS dining choices are also great at the Poly. We love Kona Cafe and O'hanas (our most recent dining adventure - i can't believe that we had never eaten here before). That bread pudding is AWESOME at O'Hanas! the view of the fireworks was nice while finishing dinner, too!
Oh yes! I also think Tonga Toast and pancakes need to be mentioned here for sure!

I think all the reasons to love the poly have been covered here. Just wanted to mention that, i think you may be surprised at what you could get a room for, we just booked for late june at 330/night thru Disney on the villas side...you can also try to rent points from a dvc member or rental co (although with dvc being new there i understand it is difficult). This has been our dream resort but i had just written it off as out of the financial ball park. Excited for our first stay there next month!

Ohhh...let me add...i just found at that if you're staying at the resort, you can order a "twilight feast" room service meal that is the dinner from ohana. That's selling point enough for me :)

I loved the Poly and we have stayed at almost all the deluxe resorts, the vibe there was so relaxed, the scenery gorgeous and our room was still the nicest we have stayed in. I loved the bathroom, it is so nice and big and the vanity was great. The Poly is still my favorite even after recent stays at the Contemporary and Beach Club. I am dreaming of a return to the Poly in August of 2017. We even stayed during construction and it still is my favorite.

This is how we feel, too! We have loved all the resorts we've stayed at, but the Poly remains our #1 favorite :goodvibes.

:thumbsup2

Ohhh...let me add...i just found at that if you're staying at the resort, you can order a "twilight feast" room service meal that is the dinner from ohana. That's selling point enough for me :)

I have seen several posts about this and it sounds awesome! We are considering doing it when we're at the Poly later this year :).

Split your stay but start at the AKL because you will not want to leave the Polynesian.

As a HS teacher in NC (48th in teacher pay :sad:) I have always dreamed of a WDW vacation staying at Poly. DW and I are already thinking about skipping 2018 vacation altogether and planning on a 2019 trip when my son graduates HS and TSL, SWL and Avatar are all open and go stay at Poly!

As a HS teacher in NC (48th in teacher pay :sad:) I have always dreamed of a WDW vacation staying at Poly. DW and I are already thinking about skipping 2018 vacation altogether and planning on a 2019 trip when my son graduates HS and TSL, SWL and Avatar are all open and go stay at Poly!
As much as I love the Poly, I don't think it is worth skipping a vacation for.
Maybe try to 'find' money elsewhere? Cut a few things out and put it in the 'Poly Fund' :)

Rent dvc points to make it more affordable!

There are no words to describe how amazing the Polynesian is. From the first "Aloha" everyone treats you like family. I have never experience so many kind, energetic, caring, and willing cast members in one place. The accommodations are also out of this world. The rooms are spacious, and absolutely beautiful. They are wonderfully themed around the Polynesian theme, without being too over the top. You are truly immersed in the Polynesian rooms. The location of this resort can't be beat, and the views you get are priceless. I recommend the Polynesian to anyone and everyone. You will not be disappointed.

I just stayed at the Poly for the first time for 2 nights with my parents. We all loved the resort. The only other deluxe we've stayed at was YC. We all preferred the Poly. The rooms were larger and much more soundproof. We had a view of the monorail, but our building was right next to the main building with restaurants and the monorail stop, or it was a short walk to the boat to the MK or to the TTC to catch the monorail to EPCOT. I watched Wishes from the Poly beach both nights. I woke up early each morning and walked the beach, and one morning even walked over to the GF just because I could!

I loved the scent in the Poly lobby, I want to bottle that up.

I say definitely try it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter