POLL: What do you think will be the opening day for SWGE - Star Wars Galaxy's Edge?

What do you think will be the opening day for Galaxy's Edge?

• OCT 2019 - Any Saturday in Oct

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • NOV 2 - The Saturday after Halloween

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • NOV 9-23 Any Saturday before Thanksgiving

Votes: 68 26.0%
  • NOV 30 - The Saturday after Thanksgiving

Votes: 48 18.3%
  • DEC 7-21 - Any Saturday in Dec before Xmas

Votes: 82 31.3%
  • JAN 2020 on - I think they will hold off until after Xmas and NYE

Votes: 12 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do y’all think about the recent announcement the it’s scheduled to open “later this fiscal year”. Article I read said new Disney fiscal yr starts 10/1. I know originally it was said late fall but now just says fall.

They are saying "late fall", so anywhere up to 12/19. Seeing they opened booking for Riviera already starting for 12/16. My guess is any time between 12/16-12/19. People can be very technical and WDW knows this, so they would likely not be advertising "late fall" if in fact the open in either early fall (oct time frame) or technically in the winter - on or after 12/20.

They want to make sure they have enough rooms available for the grand opening so how better to do it than with the large Riveria resort. How grand would that be -- people get to be some of the first to stay at the resort AND they get to be there for opening of SWL.

They are saying "late fall", so anywhere up to 12/19. Seeing they opened booking for Riviera already starting for 12/16. My guess is any time between 12/16-12/19. People can be very technical and WDW knows this, so they would likely not be advertising "late fall" if in fact the open in either early fall (oct time frame) or technically in the winter - on or after 12/20.

They want to make sure they have enough rooms available for the grand opening so how better to do it than with the large Riveria resort. How grand would that be -- people get to be some of the first to stay at the resort AND they get to be there for opening of SWL.

They are no longer saying "Late Fall". That was dropped around Christmas time. It is now just "Fall"

I really think it will be after F&W. Between that, Halloween parties, and the transition to Christmas decorations it would seem more likely the it will open around Thanksgiving. I'm betting on a soft opening Thanksgiving week.

Would be smart for them to open early October simply because it will bring more people into the parks that time of year.

All other times the parks will be packed and filled already

By opening earlier it brings more people into the parks for even more revenue

Would be smart for them to open early October simply because it will bring more people into the parks that time of year.

All other times the parks will be packed and filled already

By opening earlier it brings more people into the parks for even more revenue
People will come whether they open in October, November or December. It’s not anymore advantageous to open in October than November for them because it’s all in the same fiscal quarter.

I really think it will be after F&W. Between that, Halloween parties, and the transition to Christmas decorations it would seem more likely the it will open around Thanksgiving. I'm betting on a soft opening Thanksgiving week.

I hope you’re right!

Either way I'm screwed. Planning 2nd week of Dec but have no issues changing our dates to earlier if needed. Right before or after Thanksgiving seems like it would be a great time to open.

My opinion, based on nothing more than it's just what I think, is that they will probably have the grand opening sometime in December a week or so before the release of the next movie and do some sort of world premiere event for the movie at WDW. Let the movie drive publicity for the new park attractions and vice versa.

I voted for the Saturday after Halloween. I'm there Halloween week and even though I'm really excited to eventually see SWGE, I would like it to open when I'm gone to avoid the masses. It's just my luck though that this will happen. :scared: If this opens in December it will be completely bonkers. Second week of December on was crazy last year with crowds so I can only imagine this holiday season!

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Disney will open a brand new land during a peak crowd week such as Thanksgiving or Halloween... my guess is they pick an opening day like Saturday Dec 7...its after the Thanksgiving week, and it's a full 2 weeks before the Christmas new years crowds arrive... these 2 weeks will give Disney the ability to fix the inevitable tech glitches that will occur after SWGE is fully operational...

I seriously doubt Disney will open a brand new land during a peak crowd week such as Thanksgiving or Halloween... my guess is they pick an opening day like Saturday Dec 7...its after the Thanksgiving week, and it's a full 2 weeks before the Christmas new years crowds arrive... these 2 weeks will give Disney the ability to fix the inevitable tech glitches that will occur after SWGE is fully operational...

I agree but not for peak crowd reasons. We were there Halloween week of 2017 and the parks weren't crowded at all but we went during the second week of December last year (Dec 9) and it was crazy. I think they may consider late Nov - early December to line up with a movie release.

Last edited:
I think right after F&W ends, but before Thanksgiving. I'd love an early November opening because we're going December 7 to 15th and want to avoid a MAJOR madhouse. Just a plain madhouse would be preferred.

It's safe to assume that we have close to a 0% chance of this being open for our trip in August, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter