Poll: For those of you who have owned DVC greater than 5 years, do you plan to stay long term or sell?

For those of you who have owned DVC greater than 5 years, do you plan to stay long term or sell?

• Keep long term (barring unexpected circumstances)

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • I have plans to sell

Votes: 32 14.3%

• Total voters
After much deliberation and so much that I learned from this board, we ended up purchasing a direct Riviera contract this past weekend. I know there are lots of strong feelings on both sides regarding direct purchases- particularity Riviera, but weighing the pros and cons of each resort, (location/room configurations), and the Riviera incentives, it made the most sense for us. We are SO excited to have finally made a decision and to have our welcome home trip scheduled!

We had our first Disney trip since having kids a couple months ago, (my husband and I went together a few times before kids and he is a former CM), and even with all the post Covid changes, we had an incredible time. We are looking forward to years of travel ahead! Thanks again for all your input on this thread!

After much deliberation and so much that I learned from this board, we ended up purchasing a direct Riviera contract this past weekend. I know there are lots of strong feelings on both sides regarding direct purchases- particularity Riviera, but weighing the pros and cons of each resort, (location/room configurations), and the Riviera incentives, it made the most sense for us. We are SO excited to have finally made a decision and to have our welcome home trip scheduled!

We had our first Disney trip since having kids a couple months ago, (my husband and I went together a few times before kids and he is a former CM), and even with all the post Covid changes, we had an incredible time. We are looking forward to years of travel ahead! Thanks again for all your input on this thread!
Congrats! Welcome Home!
Riviera is very lovely, and you'll make lovely memories there 😍

Welcome home! We also bought direct at RIV but have only visited and not yet stayed. Looking forward to our first stay there later this year. We loved the rooms when we toured them.

We hit the 5 year mark later this year. We absolutely plan to hold for the long term and I’m considering adding on at DLT and Poly2. We have 3 little ones and the value of a 2BR villa in an onsite resort is significant to us. We haven’t been back to WDW yet since pre-pandemic, and have been using all our points at VGC for the time being since we’re in CA. Based on what I’ve been hearing it seems like WDW is quite a different experience compared to DL right now especially in regards to Genie+, so we’ll have to see how our next trip goes. Genie+ at DL has been easy and not stressful and our family is still loving our Disney trips. Our kids are in prime magic years right now (ages 1, 3, and 6), but we loved going before kids too, so I don’t see us giving up our DVC.

Congratulations and welcome home!

The reason I am asking, is because I have seen comments lately, (especially since the Poly2 announcement), that some don’t feel good about the direction DVC is going and have their exit strategy in place. I have seen this with discussion of annual passes as well. Obviously there is also a TON of excitement regarding Poly2 and many on here seem to be perfectly happy with their DVC membership, so there are many differing views.

My husband and I have been looking into DVC for a few months- podcasts, blogs, youtube videos, message boards, Disney guide, etc. I’m sure we still have a lot to learn, but we feel that it makes financial sense for our family and travel habits. At the same time, I want to make sure we aren’t thinking about joining something that many are thinking of jumping ship from. Maybe there is something about the direction DVC is going that I don’t fully understand because I am new to learning about it. Thanks for your votes and feedback!
Long-term for us, and we do not regret buying into DVC at all. While it is disappointing about Ap's, we absolutely love just hanging out at the resorts and getting good food reservations. It seems to be much more of a vacation when we do this.

Have owned for many years. We have not gone since Nov 2018. Finally have a trip coming this Sunday. After this trip we are selling.

TIckets for 5 days were nearly $3000. Now they want more money for G+ and ILL? Give me a break. My boys are 4 and 8. We will sell DVC soon and just use the proceeds to vacation elsewhere. Disney has gone from being expensive, to being offensive.

Not to mention how complicated planning a trip has become with the introduction of Park Reservations and G+.

Wow, the poll results are surprising. I thought there would be more people planning to sell, but it seems the overwhelming majority is in it for the long haul! Which makes sense as I imagine the DVC member pool is already made up of dedicated Disney fans, have some knowledge of company history and its ups and downs, and thus may be either more willing to adapt or weather changes.

Congratulations and Welcome Home!

I think we're already considered long term members. We're committers so we'll be here for the long haul. Probably 5 years from now, when our 'kids' (currently 34, 38, 40) are more economically settled we'll made a decision about the contract homes which will out last us (either sell or add their names to the deeds). According to TS forums we bought wrong. We joined direct and largely purchase on payment plans. I guess if we'd been the sort to enjoy it for a few years and sell before paying off the loans we would've lost $$ but we're not those people. We worked in the same jobs 30+ years, owned our 2nd home 30+ years, been married 40+ years, live and raised our kids in the town we both were raised and own our pets until they pass of old age.

Disney has gone thru many renditions since the 70's. Eisner came in and doubled the pricing which knocked us out of Disney thru the early 80's. Since then Disney has always been expensive. We've always returned because I enjoy the Disney atmosphere.

Congratulations on your membership and best wishes for many years of enjoyment.

BWV owners since 1999 but after a November trip with the grandkids we’re selling. It’s not just all the recent changes, it’s been a long time coming.

Long term, but definitely a change in how we use them. We'll be doing more Aulani/Vero Beach or giving family points or renting them, and much less time in the parks.

We are in it for the long haul.
I really enjoy the resorts themselves - especially our home resort - the Poly. We have one direct contract and 2 other small resale contracts all with the Poly.
I am really hoping the new Poly building stays with the same Association but I'm doubting it in which case we'll have to add some points with the new Association.

Not only in for the long haul after owning since mid-90s, but buying a few more points here and then to allow us more flexibility with family and friends. Disney has never been perfect. Never will be. But it's still a place we enjoy and we're going to continue making magical memories as long as possible. We all need to do whatever works for us......

Wow, the poll results are surprising. I thought there would be more people planning to sell, but it seems the overwhelming majority is in it for the long haul! Which makes sense as I imagine the DVC member pool is already made up of dedicated Disney fans, have some knowledge of company history and its ups and downs, and thus may be either more willing to adapt or weather changes.

Not surprising to me. This board is mostly comprised of avid Disney fans, so it isn't like surveying a random selection of timeshare owners to get their input. Parents used to own a non-Disney timeshare and their dreadful overall experiences convinced me to never have anything to do with timeshares regardless of who is selling them.........but to each their own.

I have owned OKW since 1997, and have just posted my contract for sale.

Our last trip to WDW was February 2020. Even then, we found the parks crowded, and the trip took way too much work to plan. We just are not interested in going back to WDW any time soon.

We bought some Aulani points and plan to go there about every 2 years. If we go to Orlando, we will rent a house with a pool. Being on property isn’t what it used to be.

We're in it for the long term, but if APs go away it's really going to change our strategy. Right now we have two vacations planned this year and the total cost of tickets for both trips is like $6400, which is extremely painful.

Bought in from Disney in 2010, added many more points via resale market. It is our snowbird home. We will stay as long as we are able to make the drive from Michigan. Parks are just diversion not the main purpose any more, warm weather and seeing friends are the goals.

Not surprising to me. This board is mostly comprised of avid Disney fans, so it isn't like surveying a random selection of timeshare owners to get their input. Parents used to own a non-Disney timeshare and their dreadful overall experiences convinced me to never have anything to do with timeshares regardless of who is selling them.........but to each their own.
Yeah, lots of fans in these boards, not a random sample, and definitely not a statistically significant result. But there's also so much negativity from several users that I thought the "plan to sell" group would be larger here. Perhaps some folks are just more vocal.

We have owned VGC since 2016 and RIV since 2020. No plans to sell but I do hate Genie + and LL and wish they would just bring back fastpasses.

We have owned VGC since 2016 and RIV since 2020. No plans to sell but I do hate Genie + and LL and wish they would just bring back fastpasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter