Politically correct?!

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
When we were leaving Ft Wilderness (Aug 2nd) we decided to take a walk up front and take the kids picture in front of their sign. The guard at the gate stopped us and suggested that we go to the one by the road. He said that they would be replacing the two there with new ones very shortly. He said that they're not politically correct since Mickey's holding a gun. He also said that they are digitally removing the guns from the Davey Crockett movies. What's a western movie without guns? One last thing, did you ever notice that Woody doesn't have a gun just a holster?

Just wondering what everyone else thinks. Personally, I think they're going a bit over board.

Diane

Diane, I agree with you. This is taking political correctness to an extreme. If it were me, I'd have run to the sign, snapped as many pictures as I could for posterity. If Disney does change the sign, you would have a "piece of history."

(I am also one of those who thought that whoever approved the revamp of Pirates of the Caribbean should have been FIRED! The new Pirates may be "politically correct", but the new "improved" version is awfully wimpy!)

i'm sorry to hear this, thats like the Fort Wilderness trademark and they are going to change it for Political Correctness??

I think that's sad. Yes, guns can do damage, but they are necessary in certain situations. If you have to hunt for your own food (like I'm sure Davie Crocket did, although I'm a bit too young to have ever seen the Disney series), then you need a gun.

I couldn't believe it on the Disney Channel when they showed previews for the movie Cadet Kelly they had to add words to the bottom of the screen saying that no real guns were used in the making of the movie. First of all, it was a high school drill team. The "guns" were these wooden things that you obviously couldn't fire. Secondly, it was military school. They teach kids to use guns at military school. It's not a big deal. Someone has to know how to use them, or we're not going to be the strongest country for long.

I'm all for gun control, but some stuff is just too extreme.

That is unbelievable! I think it's being taken a little too far. Do you think people actually complained about it?

Real "gun control" is hitting what you aimed at.
This whole situation reminds me of the renaming of Dixie Landings.
A very vocal minute percentage complain and corporate America bows to them.
I always wondered why some people have enough time on their hands to worry about things like this.
Some of us are too busy providing for our families !

I'm surprised they haven't changed the name - after all "Fort" implies a military post - where they use - shudder GUNS!!!

Just goes to show how SICK Ei$ner really is, and why he has got to be moved out to pasture.

I just recieved the latest campfire list / resort map and the logo has indeed been changed - Mickey is off the logo along with his gun, :( :( :confused: :confused:

I remember last Sept the CM at the Trading Post mentioned a new logo was coming.My DH and I laughed saying the old one must not be PC.We said this as a joke!!I have had just enough of these "bleeding hearts" who want to make life a fair playing field.Disney has be bending over backwords for years not to offend anyone.In the mean time the silent majority is offended everytime some ridiculous PC change is instituted.Well I didn't intend to vent so on this but the thread struck a nerve.When we go next month I'll be sure the whole family wears the old logo shirts.
Heidi

What does the new logo look like? I guess I'll have to take very good care of my shirts with the old logo! I also have pins that I'd better take care of. I can't believe they have changed the logo because of the gun! The most ridiculous thing I've heard today!

FWNewLogo.jpg

Gee, when we were there last, we bought a FW sticker for the back of the trailer. Mickey is holding the "musket" (at least that's what DH calls it - he was a HUGE Davy Crockett fan when he was a child! :) ). Do you think someone will come along and put the "correct" sticker on top of it?!!!:rolleyes: I sure as heck wouldn't want to offend anybody!:p

Will you still be able to buy anything with the old logo?

I'm sorry to see the old logo go also. It will be interesting to see how far Disney will go to be politically correct. Will they take all the toy guns and pirate swords out of the gift shops? Will Peter Pan and Hook hold water balloons instead of knives? Will the Prince in Sleeping Beauty trade his sword in for a can of dragon repellent and will the old hag's apple be blotted out in Sleeping Beauty. Hey, maybe Disney will stop charging so much for a bottle of water, now that would be politically correct. Or maybe close all the gifts shops at the end of every ride in order to stop materialism growing in our kids. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how serious Disney really is.
TomM:confused:

I will always have the pictures and the memories of the "old logo". That can't be taken away from me.

They can change all the signs they want but they can't change HISTORY!!

I just noticed the different logo on the map from our trip a few weeks ago. We the excitement, we didn't notice the change while we were there.

My husband's happy that he was able to get a tire cover for our trailer before they changed that too! Maybe it'll be a "collector's item" soon! ! !

Actually, the new logo is quite attractive, however, I don't like the "reason" they changed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter