Police - always been a supporter BUT . . .

@leeniewdw we have no idea if others were trying to find something. I do question why there were no life saving devices hung around the waters edge in such a pedestrian friendly area. Police can't be expect to carry something like that.

Around here when we have a jumper on one of the 4 bridges the police show up first, the fire department is right behind and so is the Dive Rescue team. For the past 18 months or so we had one on duty mental health professional that was riding along, one was never enough, but something like this can help in situations like this. This is a no-win situation, and I don't doubt for one minute this person has been having mental health crisis like this for some time, so I have to ask where was his family? If the community isn't addressing this issue, then don't blame the police.

I agree, that everyone, meaning...the general public, would like to think that they would jump in to save the day. There are lots of gun-owners who openly "carry", and seem to be itching to jump in to save the day. But with respect to the man who they failed to even attempt to save from drowning....and the 19 police officers in the hallway in Uvalde....that's the job. If you're a cop, that's what you signed up for isn't it? To protect and serve the public? And with respect to Uvalde and the gun debate, if we're going to live in a society with an ever-increasing level of guns (and we are...because we don't have the guts to do anything)....they're signing up as paid "good guys with guns" to keep us safe from the ever increasing number of criminals and mentally-ill/manifestoed mass shooters who will use them against the general public.

In my little town, and also surrounding towns there's lots of news about new "resource officers" and hardening schools. My town is setting up a new "resource officer" division to have a full-time police officer stationed at all times...in our elementary and middle school. The two catholic schools in town can have one too....but they have to pay for it out of their budget. We already have one in the high school. This, mind you, seems to be the same system that Uvalde had in place, that failed miserably.

So, those police officers are signing up for a job that will be 99.99999% sheer boredom....but they'd better be ready with their one pistol to fend off the maniac with an AR-15 if he comes to take out the kids. That's the job. Now we just have to hope that the police officer is actually sitting at the desk by the front door, and not in the bathroom, or out picking up lunch at McDonalds, or talking to the cute secretary in the office, or that the shooter doesn't come in the back door. And we need to hope he or she has the guts to face down someone armed to the teeth....with his one gun. It's all so nuts. But make no mistake, the police in Tempe, Uvalde...and anywhere else that a cop stands by and lets someone die, will be judged based on their inaction. Their job is to take action....to do something, anything....to help.
This is an issue too. If they don't act fast enough in the eyes of the public, they will be judged. If they act too quickly, they will be judged. But none of us are in their shoes at that moment to know exactly what was going on in their heads or exactly what they saw or think they saw, we are judging based on what the news allows us to see. Certianly in the case of Uvalde, there has been more than enough to show that those officers failed to act. But in many cases we only see a tiny bit of what happened and make our judgements off that. I was watching a video of a press confrence I beleive from Texas or maybe Florida a few days ago where a man had been firing his gun, his wife called the police. Apparently the man had told his wife he was going to continue shooting and was reloading. The police got the woman to safety, and when the man exited his house he had his rifle in his hands, and the police shot him. Neighbors said he'd been firing shots in the neighborhood and they were afraid, backing up the womans story. The comments on the story were slamming the cops for shooting and not descalating the situation. And maybe the wife lied and she was the one shooting etc. Could the police have maybe tried something prior to shooting? Sure. But I'm sure they told him to drop the weapon, prob more than once. How much is the appropriate time they should spend trying to get the man to surrender? If hed have gotten a couple shots off and killed or injured someone, everyone would be saying he was obviously a threat and should have been shot immediately.

Don’t we all prefer heroes?
huh? I'm pretty sure the majority of news broadcasts do "hero" stories. But they (the news) do need to know about the stories before they can present them. And, they need to confirm the stories.

Yes, this is a sore spot for me because I spent 10 years in the local broadcast news industry.

Of course. But if they can't provide the base requirements of the job (whatever it is), then they need to resign and move to a different profession.
Only about a 1/4 of officers ever fire their weapon in the line of duty during their career. It is just not as common an occurrence as TV shows and the media make it seem.

The majority of officers that made the wrong decision based on their belief that they would be the hero never are put in a situation to find out if they would be the hero. They never know if they should have picked a different profession.

I come from a police family but still don't know the answer to this. Is water rescue even considered part of a police officer's duties? Maybe it is for fire department, but what about police?

I do have serious issues with police not entering the school in Uvalde though.

I grew up in a bad neighborhood in Chicago. Nobody much cared for the police. You feared them as much as the gang bangers.

However, I felt pretty safe in Phoenix with Sheriff Joe despite him being nutty. Now, he's gone, and with the recent move of a lot of people into AZ, it's not as safe as it was before. And property values are significantly higher.

The problem with the police in AZ is really recruiting. They can't recruit fast enough to keep up with the population growth.

And the last I checked police aren't life guards.

In other words, I'm pretty neutral. And I'd rather have them around.

Unfortunately things in Arizona regarding police officers have gotten worse and worse. Look at the Daniel Shaver case, the video is haunting. Theres also the Ryan Whitaker case, but this may be more the fault of the neighbors although the police did shoot him in the back. Its a sad situation and I fear people will start taking matters into their own hands if they cannot trust the police.

I respect the police. I don’t envy their job one bit. I see so many times people refuse to do what the police say to do, that’s when something bad happens. Just do what they say Instead of fighting them.

Mixed feelings:
-Police have had a lot of tasks dumped on them that they are not trained for. Mental illness especially is something that is poorly supported in this country and generally gets dumped on the Police to handle when things go south. Many forms of mental illness are made much worse if you try to restrain the individual but that's really the only recourse Police have to control the situation.
-Many police forces are internally corrupt and more than willing to cover for their fellow officer if something goes bad. I can't count the number of cases we have seen where nothing was done until body camera footage was released... and then suddenly an investigation is opened.
-Police forces and judges have gotten a bit too cozy which results in warrants being issued with almost zero review. That has resulted in some bad scenarios (Breonna Taylor being one of the most notable).

I guess in summary I feel for the good officers because there are aspects of they are largely set up for failure and dragged down by the bad ones. I respect them as fellow human beings/professionals but I don't put them on a pedestal by default as there are far too many examples of bad behavior in their ranks.

I respect the police. I don’t envy their job one bit. I see so many times people refuse to do what the police say to do, that’s when something bad happens. Just do what they say Instead of fighting them.

Unfortunately it is not always that people refuse to do what is told of them. If you watch the Daniel Shaver video (which is gory) they shout lots of orders at him in just a few minutes. The orders that they shouted at him were shouted at him and hard to follow. In the end he was crying and begging for his life. It was really sad.

Last edited:
It’s my understanding that he was too far away. Where would they get a rope anyway?

I was literally just listing things that could have been of help as examples. In lifesaving/lifeguard training they talk about (or at least they used to) all sorts of scenarios when people need assistance and how to address them. Throwing something that floats or tossing a rope is just 2 things that came to mind. When I taught little kids swim lessons at a YMCA, every class included "water safety lessons". Even for 5 year olds we taught them to never jump in to help a friend but to run and tell their parent or throw in something that floats like a kickboard. The water safety segment would change as they got older, even though they always included to not enter the water.

The question is did they do ANYTHING other than make a phone call and would they have done the exact same thing for any other individuals: an old lady, a Mom, a kid. I'm not saying they should be fired or anything, but those things are what would allow me to judge their actions.

If it were me, there is absolutely no way I would have just stood there after calling 911 -- I would have gone to stores or nearby drivers or whatever and been yelling my head off trying to find something that floated or a rope. Perhaps I would have failed but there is no way I'd just sit there. Perhaps the police did that, the article I read did not seem to include that they did.

@leeniewdw we have no idea if others were trying to find something. I do question why there were no life saving devices hung around the waters edge in such a pedestrian friendly area. Police can't be expect to carry something like that.

The article I read did not indicate that they tried anything other than calling in add'l support. That article could be wrong, but based on the reading I've done so far, they don't mention additional steps taken...or at least attempted.

My husband is in law enforcement and not a very strong swimmer, there is no way he would have jumped in after that guy.

It is definitely a thankless job. DH worked in retail management before he decided to go into law enforcement. He is seriously considering going back to retail after 12 years in law enforcement because the pay is so low, the morale is so low and it seems like everyone in town hates them.

If you look at the history of how police got started in colonial days in the US, it makes more sense how police departments later evolved. They started as night, then day, watchmen who had to be tough to battle all the drunks and ne’er-do-wells in town. The job was very physical, with these people regularly having to fight with others, often most of their teeth were knocked out and they walked around cut and beat up as due course. So traditional hires had to be tough guys. Later, sheriffs hired people who paid them off and police corruption was born. Some of these traditions stuck with police departments over the years. I do think they are changing for the better now, however, with scrutiny that’s come from publicized cases, and that’s a good thing.

But I don’t think that police had the market cornered on corruption - it’s in many aspects of our society, and still very much alive and well, unfortunately. Some just get away with it more than others currently. And that aspect of things does a bad disservice to the good ones.

I am of an age (54) where I was always respectful to police, obeyed their instructions when pulled over (I have a lead foot) and generally thought of them as nice guys. However hearing the story yesterday where cops watched a man drown in Tempe, the recent Uvalde actions, and other incidents of the past few years - I am rethinking this opinion.

Not sure what happened to serve and protect. I see lies and protection - for themselves.

In general I am an optimistic person but this may be the issue that swings me to the dark side.

Am I alone in this?

(PS I am aware of the Tempe cops following their training - but am still disgusted by their behavior)
I agree I have always thought highly of police officers. I have some in my family, and I knew many growing up. We had one beat officer who worked in my city and even as children we got to know him pretty well. One thing I remember him teaching us is that his badge said “Peace Officer”, and he explained that his job was to keep the peace. I also knew one or two that had sketchy reputations, though personally I never had problems with them. (Was brought home a few times when in the wrong place or with the wrong crowd, and oh yes, underage drinking might’ve had something to do with it - see, they cared.)
But in general, I think law enforcement is a profession with more than its share of bad apples simply because a certain type of bad apple is likely to be attracted to the authority a LEO has, and in times of staffing difficulties departments are being less particular than perhaps they should be about who they hire or retain. I also think the "blue lives matter" narrative has created an immense amount of cover for those bad apples to be shielded from discipline or dismissal because the court of public opinion is so quick to accept that the job is difficult and that no one other than fellow LEOs are truly equipped to judge another officer's conduct, which has strengthened the so-called "brotherhood" of protecting fellow officers even when they might not deserve it.
I honestly don’t think that there are as many “bad apples” as some (general) make there out to be. I take care of a LOT of patients who are police officers (many have health especially cardiac, issues due to chronic stress, and suicide rates are astronomical) and most are people who have a good outlook on life and society, but who may become tainted by the stress of the job over time. These are people who need our support, not disdain, just like we would give to health care workers and fire personnel, etc. Many go into it to HELP people, and to serve the public, not because they want authority - especially today. I know young people either trying to still get into it (God bless them) or wanted to before, for all the right reasons. It’s sad that so many are scared away now. Make no mistake, we are losing many good ones! I had one officer tell me he retired early because he was absolutely terrified that one mistake or bad day might cost him everything. That’s not a good way to spend your career. Who among us doesn’t have a bad day from time to time?
Sometimes I get very down about the state of police in America but then I think about something I saw recently: in a multi lane busy intersection in my city (where people drive like maniacs ) a cop car turned on its lights and started forcing between cars until reaching the middle of the intersection, an officer jumped out and ran right in the middle of traffic across eight lanes plus multiple forming lanes. Many cars didn’t see him right away and he was very lucky not to have been hit. It took me a minute to see what was going on, but then I saw at the far end of the intersection from me, an elderly mobility impaired man had been apparently trying to cross the street when the light changed and was going to be stuck in a turn lane and probably hit. The police officer ran across 8 lanes of moving traffic to rescue him. He walked (slowly) with him and then, he retrieved his car, and went and picked up the man and drove him I’m guessing home? So…..that kind of thing happens daily and gets zero news coverage.
Thousands of these types of things occur daily. We just don’t hear about them. Bad stories get more attention and make more money, sadly.

mom2rtk said:
I do have serious issues with police not entering the school in Uvalde though.
That surprised me, too. What I have heard is that that Chief was a long time dispatcher, and that it was not a regular police dept, but a school police dept. I am not sure what their training is, how they stack up, or what jurisdiction they had in that situation, but I’m guessing we’ll be hearing more about that as the investigation continues. I think the emphasis today is on higher education and relevant experience, but again, with many not going into the law enforcement field right now, they might have to fill positions however they can, which really defeats the purpose. IMO, whoever thought up “Defund the Police” did us all a disservice. I do see how others could see this differently, though.
Unfortunately it is not always that people refuse to do what is told of them. If you watch the Daniel Shaver video (which is gory) they shout lots of orders at him in just a few minutes. The orders that they shouted at him were shouted at him and hard to follow. In the end he was crying and begging for his life. It was really sad.
These are wise words, but I guess it’s not as easy for everyone to comply for reasons best known to them.

My husband is in law enforcement and not a very strong swimmer, there is no way he would have jumped in after that guy.

I may have missed it but I haven't seen anyone (here) suggest that they should have gone in after the man. For me, the issue is there is a huge swath between going in (not at all advisable by anyone who understands water safety) and just making another call for the correct unit.

This WaPo article does include that the police said another officer was getting a boat, but it's not clear if that meant the unit they'd called or one of the officers that was present. *To me*, it seems like they were pretty laid back about the whole thing. Again, I ask if their actions would have been the same if someone different.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/06/tempe-police-bickings-drowning/

This is an issue too. If they don't act fast enough in the eyes of the public, they will be judged. If they act too quickly, they will be judged. But none of us are in their shoes at that moment to know exactly what was going on in their heads or exactly what they saw or think they saw, we are judging based on what the news allows us to see. Certianly in the case of Uvalde, there has been more than enough to show that those officers failed to act. But in many cases we only see a tiny bit of what happened and make our judgements off that. I was watching a video of a press confrence I beleive from Texas or maybe Florida a few days ago where a man had been firing his gun, his wife called the police. Apparently the man had told his wife he was going to continue shooting and was reloading. The police got the woman to safety, and when the man exited his house he had his rifle in his hands, and the police shot him. Neighbors said he'd been firing shots in the neighborhood and they were afraid, backing up the womans story. The comments on the story were slamming the cops for shooting and not descalating the situation. And maybe the wife lied and she was the one shooting etc. Could the police have maybe tried something prior to shooting? Sure. But I'm sure they told him to drop the weapon, prob more than once. How much is the appropriate time they should spend trying to get the man to surrender? If hed have gotten a couple shots off and killed or injured someone, everyone would be saying he was obviously a threat and should have been shot immediately.

You bring up valid points for sure. I guess my main thought is just that....it's the job, to possibly put yourself in harm's way to save others. In the case of the drowning man, I'm not even saying that they should have jumped in after him. I'm a scuba diver and know that panicked/anxious flailing swimmers/divers can drag you down. But the cavalier attitude of the one cop....arms resting on the railing watching the scene unfold seemed cold.

I also understand that the media will only show the short clip showing either the cop in an unfavorable light...or....the person being pursued as unfavorable. That's unfortunately the world we live in. I guess I take a little bit of a different perspective on posters who are saying..."I wouldn't have jumped in to save him". Or anyone who thinks police shouldn't enter active shooter situations and put their lives at risk. That's increasingly the job of a police officer in our country.

I haven't been a fan of the police since I witnessed misconduct by one when I was a teenager, and his buddies on the force protected him. Been afraid of them ever since.

That said, I do not hold the water rescue thing against them. Water rescue is dangerous and can kill even trained professionals.

The Uvalde conduct, on the other hand, was gross incompetence that cost children their lives. Then they swore in the chief of police to the town council? That's blatant corruption. That man needs to be stripped of his power, not given more. Anyone who so clearly does not care about their community's safety should not be a police officer, much less chief of police, or on the city council.

I think we need to do away with the upper IQ limits for officers. It's a hard job, I will give you that (though safer than convenience store clerk, teacher, and many other occupations in the US). We shouldn't be keeping out otherwise qualified candidates because they're "too smart." We want people who can outsmart the criminals and think strategically to reduce crime. It makes me think that they're covering things up and they don't want people there who will be smart enough to uncover them. Then again, when smart cops do uncover corruption, they tend to get fired for trying to fix it.

I haven't been a fan of the police since I witnessed misconduct by one when I was a teenager, and his buddies on the force protected him. Been afraid of them ever since.

That said, I do not hold the water rescue thing against them. Water rescue is dangerous and can kill even trained professionals.

The Uvalde conduct, on the other hand, was gross incompetence that cost children their lives. Then they swore in the chief of police to the town council? That's blatant corruption. That man needs to be stripped of his power, not given more. Anyone who so clearly does not care about their community's safety should not be a police officer, much less chief of police, or on the city council.

I think we need to do away with the upper IQ limits for officers. It's a hard job, I will give you that (though safer than convenience store clerk, teacher, and many other occupations in the US). We shouldn't be keeping out otherwise qualified candidates because they're "too smart." We want people who can outsmart the criminals and think strategically to reduce crime. It makes me think that they're covering things up and they don't want people there who will be smart enough to uncover them. Then again, when smart cops do uncover corruption, they tend to get fired for trying to fix it.
There is an upper IQ?

There is an upper IQ?
I don’t know what they are talking about either. My DH didn’t have to take an IQ test before becoming an officer. My DH is a college graduate, so they did request his transcript as part of the application process, but there were definitely no “upper IQ limits”.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter