Points if a renter doesn’t show.

I would not touch them, much less refund or re-rent them. As an owner who has had member services mess up my points on multiple occasions, this could be an error. Most likely an error. Let it all shake out.
Thanks that’s my guess as to what it was as well. There’s just too many “coincidences” for it to not be that lol. Thx.

That was my other thought - that the resort did something when the renter checked in and that can create all kinds of different changes to an owners account. I think since OP called in and were received the information they did I'd just let it sit and simmer for 2-4 weeks. Modifications made by the resort typically get cleared up within that time so if they are still there after that time they are probably safe to use. Otherwise if @Stinkomann20x6 wants a better answer then email MS for somebody to investigate further.

Never thought of that! Its very well it could be that and it will get caught.

I remember last year someone posting they got renters points back and within a few weeks, it was caught and they were taken. ,

Who knows...maybe the renter was there, had an issue, and they decided To refund the points because of it.

Could be why they were told it wasn’t from a no show?

This might be unpopular, but I might try to find your renters. If they are like others on these boards, the renters canceled, and *cough* kept the money. I would not feel right at least not trying to do what I could, given you still have the points and the money. And the renters will know whether they went or not.

This might be unpopular, but I might try to find your renters. If they are like others on these boards, the renters canceled, and *cough* kept the money. I would not feel right at least not trying to do what I could, given you still have the points and the money. And the renters will know whether they went or not.
I can see that And even agree with that. But also if they didn’t go and the points get fixed then I’m not sure if there is much to be done without great risk unfortunately.

I understand where you’re coming from. If this had happened to me with a renter with whom I dealt privately, I certainly would be in touch with them to find out what happened. But owners who go thru a rental agency choose to receive less in compensation in exchange for having the intermediary handle any problems/issues with a renter. They’re basically paying for that buffer between themselves and the renter. Aside from the fact that contacting the renter directly could be a violation of the rental agreement, it could open up the owner to even more headaches.

I understand where you’re coming from. If this had happened to me with a renter with whom I dealt privately, I certainly would be in touch with them to find out what happened. But owners who go thru a rental agency choose to receive less in compensation in exchange for having the intermediary handle any problems/issues with a renter. They’re basically paying for that buffer between themselves and the renter. Aside from the fact that contacting the renter directly could be a violation of the rental agreement, it could open up the owner to even more headaches.

I’ll even add that if the owner made contact, and the renter did not go, assuming it was a complete loss, they now get info thst gives them hope they might get money back or a new trip.

If it turns out to be an error...like the resort did something...then they would need to be contacted again And told, sorry,

I just think at this point, the OP is right to simply let it ride and not worry if the points expire as they were not planning to use anyway.

This is where I’m Kind of at. I’m not looking to re-rent the points to someone else for more money or anything.
And I’d even be willing to rebook for them if they’d like for no extra charge or whatever was being talked about in that large David’s thread. Thank you for response on the letting them expire. I guess I was just worried about a glitch in the system causing me issues in our big trip next year.
Honestly, I think you should hold on to them in case it was an error. They will come back and take them and then your trip will be the one affected by it. Its not your mistake to correct. Just bank them if necessary.

Honestly, I think you should hold on to them in case it was an error. They will come back and take them and then your trip will be the one affected by it. Its not your mistake to correct. Just bank them if necessary.

I believe they are banked points so can't be banked again.

I realized mine was not going to be the answer that owners would embrace. But at this point OP has money.... presumably someone’s money not her own... plus the points she supposedly rented. In my book that is double dipping.

I’ve been an owner myself for many years. I don’t think OP is alone. I suspect there are more than a few owners who kept the money and the points. That’s just my perspective but I also don’t look at the “evil one” as the spawn of the devil and owners as an angelic chorus. Some people lost... but some gained. No one wants to be the former.

Except not. If the owner has had points rented out for months they are essentially unusable when they get them back as they could well be due to expire. Also those returned points will be in holding at best and quite possibly unusable.

Points were rented by the owner presumably as they had no need of them. Giving the owner back something they had no need of in the first place because a renter doesn't turn up isn't giving the owner back anything of value to them.

Absolutely not double dipping and entirely different to when resorts were closed.

Yeah, except OP clearly stated MS said the points were expiring end of March 2021, so April UY. Even if they are banked points, that’s plenty of time to re-rent... so money from first rental plus usable points is double dipping to my way of thinking.

Think we probably need to agree to disagree.

Yeah, except OP clearly stated MS said the points were expiring end of March 2021, so April UY. Even if they are banked points, that’s plenty of time to re-rent... so money from first rental plus usable points is double dipping to my way of thinking.

Think we probably need to agree to disagree.
This is not me being sarcastic so I apologize if it comes across that way over text. But what would you consider it if I re-rented and then they fix their error and take from my points next year to make up for it? Or what would you call it if the points expired and didn’t re-rent? Are either those still double dipping on my part?

This is not me being sarcastic so I apologize if it comes across that way over text. But what would you consider it if I re-rented and then they fix their error and take from my points next year to make up for it? Or what would you call it if the points expired and didn’t re-rent? Are either those still double dipping on my part?
I would think that the balance sheet would be even at that point so you were paid technically for next years points which took the place of those “lost” points. So no double dipping.

Yours is a tough situation. Do you believe what MS said... seems like we should be able, as members to do that... or do you figure they got it wrong and will backtrack at some point and go in and mess with your points again? When MS gets involved, I always get nervous! Nice people but sometimes there are so many mixed messages. I had 2 reservations cancelled using my own points, borrowed and transferred points. I’m rescheduled for November but my head still hurts from the phone calls!

The original question “is this double dipping” and by my definition, at this point having cash and usable points fits that definition. Now if the question is “is this a nice person whose life got very busy and lost track of the points transaction... discovered the mistakes and has been trying to figure a way to make it right”? That I would answer absolutely for sure!:flower3:

BTW congratulations on your new little one... lots of wonderful future trips to look forward to!

heya, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I guess I’m just trying to figure out the procedure here. Long story still long, I rented out points from he who shall not be named back in December for two reservations (banked 2019 points), one in July like a day before parks reopened and one in August. I honestly hadn’t been around here much since we had a baby in January so priorities lol, so I wasn’t aware of all that stuff going on in the big David’s thread.

I snipped the quotes, but if the reservation shows as 'complete', it is.

And, MS has stated that the return of the points was not because of the reservation itself not being completed.

Since OP is a new owner - I didn't catch when they purchased - but I think I've read that they still haven't taken their first trip? Which leads me to believe with the complexity of use years and banking, OP may have overlooked a possibility.

The possibility - are/were there any 2018 points that may have been banked into 2019, that would have expired March 31, 2020? Those points were given 'new' life and may have been used to reallocate for the August reservation.

When OP made the July and August reservations, she would not at that point been able to use them. But, things changed drastically a few months later and MS went through all our contracts with a fine tooth comb and made a LOT of changes. I have 4 contracts and it took me days to follow the path they created, but it was highly favorable to members with expiring points from that time frame. They were given a life extension to Nov 30, 2020.

And, at no point did MS call and say, 'Hey, here's some points for you.'
People with existing reservations whose points were expiring end of March, April, May were most concerned at that moment.

So, I believe a reallocation probably took place, and the OP was in the right situation at the moment to benefit (possibly if they can use the points.) That would explain the 'exact' number.

I also agree with those who say it is not up to the OP to follow up on this renter. The renter, whether they showed or not, had a room available, and what happens in the OP's point account after the fact absolutely does not mean the OP has the responsibility, moral or otherwise to have any further contact with the renter.

In fact, it would be foolhardy to even pursue this line.

It's really easy to jump in and say, 'give back the money' when it's not money coming out of your pocket. The OP does not have to put any further time and energy into this for the renter, per the contract with said renter.

The only thing is that before using the points do a trace on them and check again with MS if there is something that confuses you. People keep elaborate spread sheets to track their points, and without those records once points are moved it's pretty difficult to know exactly which point is which.

I would think that the balance sheet would be even at that point so you were paid technically for next years points which took the place of those “lost” points. So no double dipping.

Yours is a tough situation. Do you believe what MS said... seems like we should be able, as members to do that... or do you figure they got it wrong and will backtrack at some point and go in and mess with your points again? When MS gets involved, I always get nervous! Nice people but sometimes there are so many mixed messages. I had 2 reservations cancelled using my own points, borrowed and transferred points. I’m rescheduled for November but my head still hurts from the phone calls!

The original question “is this double dipping” and by my definition, at this point having cash and usable points fits that definition. Now if the question is “is this a nice person whose life got very busy and lost track of the points transaction... discovered the mistakes and has been trying to figure a way to make it right”? That I would answer absolutely for sure!:flower3:

BTW congratulations on your new little one... lots of wonderful future trips to look forward to!

For all we know the renter went, had major issues, they were upgraded, and the points were an adjustment for that.

If MS has said they are hers, then she gets to keep them. She did nothing to have them returned, If it is an error, they will take them back,

Just don’t believe it’s on her to jump through hoops to figure it out or get into another rental for them.

Reactions: cm8
I’m in the opinion that you fulfilled your rental agreement. Wouldn’t the renter fall under the agreement made with the agency? If there was an issue with the booking, that agency should have contacted you. I don’t feel you owe any contact to the rental agency or the renter. If those points remain back in your account, they should be yours to do with again as you please. Not seeing double dipping. You had no direct action to receiving back those points.

For all we know the renter went, had major issues, they were upgraded, and the points were an adjustment for that.
I've had this actually happen to a renter of mine, they were upgraded because they overbooked the DVC resort and gave them a deluxe suite on the hotel side of the resort............ and I got all my points back. So it was a win-win for me and my renter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter