Pointers for first time with 1 yr. old

Having taken my (at the time) 16 month old last year, my best advice is let them set the pace and guide.
I went with expectations and stressed out - until I just let him kind of lead.
His biggest thrills were characters - tentative. - Also a character handler gave me great advice if your little one is apprehensive of the characters. Hold them on the side away from the character and sort of diagonally turn toward them little by little while engaging with the character. And suggest they touch their noses. (Most of our character photos are nose touching!!)

Strollers are obviously a must. I also had a backpack leash (yes, I know. . but it was added security for Mama).
If you're waiting for a parade - have extra entertainment for the slow and waiting parts (we had a bubble machine thing).

DD was 2 her first time. The carousel, winnie the pooh, toon town (we could have spent the entire trip in toon town and she would have been just as happy), bugs land in DCA were huge hits for her at that age. Also tiki room and other shows she loved.

All of my kids have been going frequently since about 3 months old. Here’s my input!

Bring your comfortable stroller, just don’t ever leave anything in it. This isn’t a good time to switch a one year old to a cheap umbrella he’s uncomfortable sitting in, or the handles are uncomfortable for you. You’ll be glad to have a place for naps and even a diaper change on the fly!

Ditch the diaper bag and get a comfortable backpack so you can carry everything, and pack light!

Baby Care Centers are awesome! They have lovely clean changing tables, quiet nursing rooms, a microwave, cold water dispenser and sell essentials if you find you didn’t pack as many diapers as you thought. There is one in each park.

Mostly, at that age, I wore our kids in a soft carrrier (Tula, Bjorn, etc) and they rolled with whatever we did. They don’t really know what’s going on, but will take it all in! We rode rides without taking baby out of the carrier many times if it was a dark or loud ride and they were uneasy, it really helped keep them calm.

Have fun!!

Having taken my (at the time) 16 month old last year, my best advice is let them set the pace and guide.
I went with expectations and stressed out - until I just let him kind of lead.

Thank you for this advice! I will take it to heart and share with my daughter. We both want this first visit to be special and not be remembered as stressful and disappointing!
Allowing DGS to lead will hopefully give us the day of “magic” we want for him!

Just remember that it's totally OK to not do everything! (I think sometimes grown ups get caught up in the price of the ticket and think that we have to justify the cost by our activity level. The more we do = better value.) Sometimes the most magical moments happen when you're not riding rides or watching parades or meeting characters or DOING all the stuff. Some of our best memories are of watching the ducks, relaxing on TSI, letting the little ones explore something in a safe place (e.g. TT is great for this), riding the train around and around and around, etc. We have great photos of oldest watching other kids ride "scary" rides, e.g. the rockets, Splash, Matterhorn, etc. He loved watching other kids meet characters. So we would sit and watch, and he would laugh and laugh. Great photos -- so natural! And he was so happy. We thought we were going to spend hours in lines and we actually didn't go on that many rides for a few years. And everything was still magical! No matter what happens, you're going to make great memories and have a wonderful time. :)

Last edited:
Just remember, that it's totally OK to not do everything! (I think sometimes grown ups get caught up in the price of the ticket and think that we have to justify the cost by our activity level. The more we do = better value.) Sometimes the most magical moments happen when you're not riding rides or watching parades or meeting characters or DOING all the stuff. Some of our best memories are of watching the ducks, relaxing on TSI, letting the little ones explore something in a safe place (e.g. TT is great for this), riding the train around and around and around, etc. We have great photos of oldest watching other kids ride "scary" rides, e.g. the rockets, Splash, Matterhorn, etc. He loved watching other kids meet characters. So we would sit and watch, and he would laugh and laugh. Great photos -- so natural! And he was so happy. We thought we were going to spend hours in lines and we actually didn't go on that many rides for a few years. And everything was still magical! No matter what happens, you're going to make great memories and have a wonderful time. :)
This is great advice! I 2nd what @theluckyrabbit said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter