Pointers for first time with 1 yr. old

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
We will be in DL for one day celebrating our grandson’s 1st birthday. Any advice for a smooth and happy day? Any unique “not to miss” experiences?

I haven’t taken a little one with us for 30 years! Need some reminders!

Thanks tons!

When my kids were that young, they were delighted to do things like ride the transportation on Main Street, Storybook Canal, Mark Twain - basically the slower rides. Character meets were also great if the lines weren't too long/slow.

Nap time works out by riding the train, waiting for a parade or finding a bench in the quieter area between fronteirland and Fantasyland where the animals used to be.

Have snacks and sippy cups with you at all times

We also found the Baby Care Centers to be a great help. We were able to change him there (a little nicer than the bathroom facilities) and feed him. If he's still nursing, they also have a nice (quiet) room for nursing.

We also found the slowly moving rides, like the ones mentioned, along with IaSW, were things that seemed to work well.

The hardest part was there weren't really very many places where we could let him crawl/toddle around without worry. Luckily he seemed okay with being carried or in his stroller most of the time, but it was something we wondered about before going to the parks. If he had been fussy and wanted out, I'm not really sure where we could have easily let him crawl/toddle around.

Not sure if you are going to DCA as well, but they have the Disney Jr Live on Stage show that is great for little ones. They also have the Redwood Creek Trail that is a great place to let the kiddos walk.

We have taken our kids at one and they have so much fun. Everything is so new to them. My kids were all fine with the dark rides, but I think they preferred outdoor rides. Mine loved characters at that age as they hadn't developed the stranger danger. My oldest became wary of the princesses aroumd her second birthday and our youngest was past 1.5 when we took her and she is just now warming up to them 9 months later.

As others said lots of snacks and a sippy cup (or bottle) plus have a plan for napping.

It sounds like you've been a lot, so you may not feel the need for big rides, but we found rider swapping when our kids were sleeping was the easiest. Also, with our current age sprawl 2-7, we enjoy splitting up with some riding a big ride while others hang out with the youngee ones.

Most importantly, take tons of photos and have fun!

We have taken our kids at one and they have so much fun. Everything is so new to them. My kids were all fine with the dark rides, but I think they preferred outdoor rides. Mine loved characters at that age as they hadn't developed the stranger danger. My oldest became wary of the princesses aroumd her second birthday and our youngest was past 1.5 when we took her and she is just now warming up to them 9 months later.

Most importantly, take tons of photos and have fun!

Thank you for your insights!
I was wondering when they could become fearful of the characters. My DS was very wary at 2 1/2 yrs. and dark rides, but we never took him at a younger age.
Our DGS was fine with Santa but only 7 mos. We are planning another “test” with the Easter bunny at the end of March to see if a character meal is a good idea.

We will have Max Pass so we will be sure to take a ton of pics!

I agree with all the above, and also Goofy’s House in Toon Town was one spot that we could let our guard down for a moment and allow free exploration.

One great resource is YouTube. You can show him ridethrough videos (make sure the videos are from DLR in CA, not from WDW or int'l. parks) to test his response. You can cross any thumbs down rides off the list ahead of time and get him used to the idea of dark rides or rides in general. We use the videos to talk little ones through the ride -- like narrating over it -- so that they get very familiar with what to expect. (One little guy had a very hard time adjusting to the idea that the rides end! We used the videos to talk him through this for weeks! "See? And when it ends, we can get in line and ride again!" He still wept when IASW ended and we came out into the sunlight!) Same with meeting characters -- he can watch videos of other little kids meeting characters to get familiar with the idea. Then when the real thing happens, he can make up his mind without being taken completely off guard.
Knowing where the Baby Care Centers are located in both parks is a great time saver and help (Murphy's Law: you will never find a map when you need one!). DL's BCC is just off Main Street, across from the Little Red Wagon, by the Plaza Inn and First Aid. DCA's BCC is next to Ghirardelli's Ice Cream Shop, by Cars Land.
Also know where First Aid is located in both parks (just for peace of mind, if nothing else). When you need First Aid, you don't want to waste time looking for maps or CMs (which you won't find -- see Murphy's Law above). DL's First Aid is at the end of the cul de sac by the BCC, the Little Red Wagon, and Plaza Inn. DCA's First Aid is right next door to Chamber of Commerce (by the fancy vintage car in front of Oswalds's).

Thank you everyone for your ideas!!
Great suggestion about YouTube!!! We will definitely do that to help prepare him!!

We just took my grandson to Disneyland in January. He was 13 months old. My biggest piece of advice is to roll with it, because you can't predict what they will like/dislike! My GS did not like dark rides (not surprising). He didn't really like rides at all with the exception of Casey Jr. and the Carousel. Unfortunately, many things he might have liked were closed, like the Main St vehicles, Small World, canal boats. He hated riding in the stroller and my dd got very tired carrying him around. He was overwhelmed with the people and noise. The truth is, we decided that in his case he was just too young to really enjoy it, so be prepared to face the prospect that he might not be into the magic quite yet.

YouTube is a big one. Helped with my daughter at that age. Get a cheap umbrella stroller, easy to fold when riding train/monorail. Tie a baloon to the handle so its easy to spot if a CM moves it while you are on a ride. Our first ride with our daughter was the Tiki Room :) Great ice breaker, lots to look at and loud at the end.

YouTube is a big one. Helped with my daughter at that age. Get a cheap umbrella stroller, easy to fold when riding train/monorail. Tie a baloon to the handle so its easy to spot if a CM moves it while you are on a ride. Our first ride with our daughter was the Tiki Room :) Great ice breaker, lots to look at and loud at the end.

With a child that young I recommend you bring his own stroller if possible. Yes, they tend to be larger and more bulky, but they are also more comfortable and familiar. You can take your big stroller on the train, etc. they just ask that you fold it up. They have a place where they can stick a few bulky strollers on the train. Also, the basket in your stroller can be a good place to store diapers and extra baby food, but be sure you have a bag to put the items in when you do have to fold up your stroller. Alternatively, if you are going round trip on the train you can just park your stroller and get it when you come back.

We took DD when she was 9 months old. She napped A LOT in the stroller. I was grateful to have the full size stroller with full recline (back goes completely flat) and good shade cover. We used the nursing cover to cover the front too when she was asleep.

You can meet Mickey Mouse with hardly any wait in Toon Town if you are at the gates to Toon Town 5 min before they open. Toon Town opens up an hour after regular park opening.

So if regular park opening is 8 am, then Toon Town opens at 9 am. Toon Town is FULL of fun stuff for little ones to explore.

Fun! Most of his experience will be being held up for loads of family photos! Plan the day around the pics and the adults' rides and meals, and use Rider Switch when you can. I used to pack a few extra outfits and used disposable changing pads in the stroller so diaper blowouts didn't take long to manage.

We just took my grandson to Disneyland in January. He was 13 months old. My biggest piece of advice is to roll with it, because you can't predict what they will like/dislike! My GS did not like dark rides (not surprising). He didn't really like rides at all with the exception of Casey Jr. and the Carousel. Unfortunately, many things he might have liked were closed, like the Main St vehicles, Small World, canal boats. He hated riding in the stroller and my dd got very tired carrying him around. He was overwhelmed with the people and noise. The truth is, we decided that in his case he was just too young to really enjoy it, so be prepared to face the prospect that he might not be into the magic quite yet.
Yes! We always bring a good baby carrier. Lenny lamb, tula, etc.

You can meet Mickey Mouse with hardly any wait in Toon Town if you are at the gates to Toon Town 5 min before they open. Toon Town opens up an hour after regular park opening.

So if regular park opening is 8 am, then Toon Town opens at 9 am. Toon Town is FULL of fun stuff for little ones to explore.

Great to know Toon Town is an hour later than park opening. Characters are handled somewhat differently in DL than WDW. It looks like there are no FPs in DL to meet them. We will be ready to meet Mickey as soon as he opens the doors!

Great to know Toon Town is an hour later than park opening. Characters are handled somewhat differently in DL than WDW. It looks like there are no FPs in DL to meet them. We will be ready to meet Mickey as soon as he opens the doors!
FYI there is no photographer at that time. Mickey and friends come to the opening of Toontown and walk in with guests to music. Then Mickey and Minnie go to their houses and meet guests outside. He will have a queue and a handler, but they only have the photographer when he's meeting in his movie barn. I didn't get an exact time from the CM on when he meets in the barn but it's at least 20 minutes later and may be an hour even.

Download the free DLR app. It will show you when and where the M&Gs are (but not the roaming characters). Mickey Mouse can also be found in Town Square in DL and on BVS in DCA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter