Point Shock! Grand Floridian

Cash price for a weekday during presidents week at GF is $624 and cash price during that same week at BC is $485. That is a 29% difference.

A weekday at VGF is 23 points and at BCV is 18 points. That is a difference of 28%.

So the difference is almost the same. You pay a premium to stay at GF and you use a premium amount of points to stay at VGF.

At 374 sqft, The VGF studio is 60sqft larger than the POR rooms that sleep 5 (314sqft). It will be OK for some families and terrible for others...

POR has a very small bathroom and no kitchenette. So take away those from VGF and you probably have a smaller living area than POR. The extra 60 sf in VGF studio are all in the bathroom and kitchenette (and probably more than 60sf larger).

I dont' like the look of the GF but LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the villas. The bathroom reminds me of mine at home so I guess that is why I feel at home from the pictures. I so want to rent a few nights this summer before checking into YC. I can't rent until November (7 months from my window) but do you think a June studio rental is going to be impossible to get here?

Likewise, add 37 points and you have two weeks in an OKW one bedroom.

I'm surprised DH hasn't pointed that out yet. He loves OKW, and I've gotta admit that we've gotten used to those relatively low point values. I kind of felt like the OP the first time I read the point values for the VGF-D***-I didn't breathe for several seconds!

On the other hand, the VGF studio with 2 showers is much cheaper for a young family of 5 (153s/183l per week) vs having to have an OKW 1BR (199/week) and only 1 shower.

Yes, I realize OKW 1BR has a lot more to offer, but if you occasionally want to save points every few years, VGF studios are intriguing.

Seriously 5 in a studio? I know it can be done but I don't expect it to be very pleasant. Maybe when kids are very little but not for long.

Seriously 5 in a studio? I know it can be done but I don't expect it to be very pleasant. Maybe when kids are very little but not for long.

In it's defense, the studios, in most cases, are the same size as a standard room. Many people do 5 in a standard room at the more expensive Deluxe Resorts. If you're not spending much time in the room, probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I dont' like the look of the GF but LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the villas. The bathroom reminds me of mine at home so I guess that is why I feel at home from the pictures. I so want to rent a few nights this summer before checking into YC. I can't rent until November (7 months from my window) but do you think a June studio rental is going to be impossible to get here?

I'm the opposite. Love the GF, but thought the Villas were odd looking. The dining room reminded me of a house from the 70's. The kitchen doesn't fit the theme Victorian theme at all. The bathroom is very nice, but it's odd how they only included 1 bathroom in the 1 bedroom villas, where as BLT and Kidani both have 2 bathrooms.

I'm the opposite. Love the GF, but thought the Villas were odd looking. The dining room reminded me of a house from the 70's. The kitchen doesn't fit the theme Victorian theme at all. The bathroom is very nice, but it's odd how they only included 1 bathroom in the 1 bedroom villas, where as BLT and Kidani both have 2 bathrooms.

How should a Victorian kitchen look if built today?

Personally I think they nailed it with the glass door cabinets, apron sink, panelized/built in fridge and dishwasher, the backsplash tiles..
I just googled Victorian kitchen, selected images and saw 3 categories. Historic, Old, modern.

The first picture in Modern: (from CountyLiving)
CLX1207Kendall655-de.jpg

Just curious to see a picture of your idea.

Compare this to any luxury purchase and it makes it a lot easier to rationalize.

People buy upscale things and pay more all the time.

Look at luxury cars.
Why buy a Lexus when you can buy a Toyota?
Because people like to own things that are a little nicer and shinier.
Is it worth the extra cost, well that's a personal decision that you have to make.

VGF is new, has some nice new features, is at the priciest resort in WDW, is on the Monorail, is located where the best restaurants are, has upscale feel all over it and has the least number of rooms of any DVC at WDW.
All those factors mean you will pay more. It's up to you to decide if this new upgraded resort over the other DVC choices is worth it.

Some will think it's great and others will think the Toyota is just fine.

We are gonna have a lot of points for 2014 with banked points and all so we could do GF, but I really like the Bay Lake Tower and walking to the MK -- it wouldn't be a matter of points -- I think we'll do the BLT.

I've always been more of a casual person. never liked dressing up. I would feel like I needed a tux at the pool.

I've been speaking with some owners and resellers. I haven't heard one person say that the GFV are a good deal at all. I think Disney missed the mark on this. Here's my take:

They expected people are GF regulars to buy into the Villas. They obviously have money and it's not an issue for them. Problem is, many people (myself included) have stayed at the GF with a discount. No way could I afford to buy into the GFV. And other regulars may not be happy with the look of the Villas. I did the tour last week. I LOVE the standard GF rooms and I thought the Villas were ugly.

It is amazing how opinions can differ. We are not GF regulars, stayed there only once, but loved the place. Bought VGF, and we are not wealthy people. I don't recall what the GF rooms look like, but we loved the VGF villas, thought they were lovely.

I am just glad not everyone loves them, but based on how the rooms have booked up already, I would say a lot of people do or are at least going to give it a try.

I don't think Disney missed the mark at all, but time will tell.

It is "point expensive" that is for certain.

But if you (like me) want to go at least once a year, prefer deluxe accommodations, want to be on the monorail, and are not partial to the contemporary, it makes a lot of sense, and is the only option.

I did not really grasp how point expensive it was when I bought in, however, I would still have done so, and the same number of points.

They only thing that it changes is whether I will add on another 50-100 points when the financially ready to do so, or just do add ons at other resorts through resale.

How should a Victorian kitchen look if built today?

Personally I think they nailed it with the glass door cabinets, apron sink, panelized/built in fridge and dishwasher, the backsplash tiles..
I just googled Victorian kitchen, selected images and saw 3 categories. Historic, Old, modern.

The first picture in Modern: (from CountyLiving)
CLX1207Kendall655-de.jpg

Just curious to see a picture of your idea.

Not sure exactly. Just seems too modern.

It is amazing how opinions can differ. We are not GF regulars, stayed there only once, but loved the place. Bought VGF, and we are not wealthy people. I don't recall what the GF rooms look like, but we loved the VGF villas, thought they were lovely.

I am just glad not everyone loves them, but based on how the rooms have booked up already, I would say a lot of people do or are at least going to give it a try.

I don't think Disney missed the mark at all, but time will tell.

With all due respect, if you're able to afford the VGF, you're wealthier than most. Hell, I wish was that wealthy.

Or you go very infrequently to make it affordable which is what we are planning. Four nights once every 4 years.

Do you plan on only using your points every 4 years or just going to the VGF every 4 years?

Just being honest, but if you plan on only using your points every 4 years at Disney, DVC isn't the best way to go.

Do you plan on only using your points every 4 years or just going to the VGF every 4 years?

Just being honest, but if you plan on only using your points every 4 years at Disney, DVC isn't the best way to go.

It is technically possible to take a trip that uses 4 years of points, IF that trip spans the end/beginning of 2 UY..but I certainly would not buy for that specific purpose.

Reallocation showed the best plans do not always work for those every 3 year plans.

Or you go very infrequently to make it affordable which is what we are planning. Four nights once every 4 years.

You can only bank one year prior and borrow from one upcoming year. If you only go once very 4 years you are going to lose a year of points.

For example:
Year 1 pts - banked, used year 2
Year 2 pts - use to go to Disney
Year 3 pts - borrow, use to go to Disney in Year 2
Year 4 pts banked, expire year 5
Year 5 pts banked, used in year 6
Year 6 pts - used to go to Disney
Year 7 pts - borrow - use to go to Disney year 6
Year 8 pts - banked, expire year 9

So you paid for points in years 4 and 8 unless you rent them out or give them to someone. And if you rent them, you aren't getting as much in rental as you paid.

ETA: you may be able to use 4 years of points based on the prior post, but that locks you in to a very limited window of going to span 2 use years.

You can only bank one year prior and borrow from one upcoming year. If you only go once very 4 years you are going to lose a year of points.

For example:
Year 1 pts - banked, used year 2
Year 2 pts - use to go to Disney
Year 3 pts - borrow, use to go to Disney in Year 2
Year 4 pts banked, expire year 5
Year 5 pts banked, used in year 6
Year 6 pts - used to go to Disney
Year 7 pts - borrow - use to go to Disney year 6
Year 8 pts - banked, expire year 9

So you paid for points in years 4 and 8 unless you rent them out or give them to someone. And if you rent them, you aren't getting as much in rental as you paid.

ETA: you may be able to use 4 years of points based on the prior post, but that locks you in to a very limited window of going to span 2 use years.

No we won't. We do split use year trips and use 4 years worth of points on a trip. Our use year is August and we travel the last week in July so we use banked points and UY points for July. Then UY and borrowed points for the second week which is August. Works very well and we don't lose any points. We actually travel every other year but alternate east and west coasts so any points we don't borrow can be banked for the next trip they just don't have home resort privileges.

We have to span two use years as our children are in school for the next 8 years so July and August are our only options.

We go every other year but alternate California and Florida so VGF very 4 years. We do the same with out vGC points. Works very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter