Point Shock! Grand Floridian

Iggipolka

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Wow! Just took a look at booking a 1 bedroom, Lake View at the Grand in February and it's available for 407 points! Holy Blankity Blank! 2 Bedroom Lake View is 551 points!

A 1 bedroom Standard View for the same time period is 340 points. Daaaaamn

As a comparison, we stayed in a 2 bedroom Ocean View at Auliani in April for 440 points. I'm just shocked at the amount of points needed for the Grand Floridian. I knew it would be high, but that's really high.

I've been speaking with some owners and resellers. I haven't heard one person say that the GFV are a good deal at all. I think Disney missed the mark on this. Here's my take:

They expected people are GF regulars to buy into the Villas. They obviously have money and it's not an issue for them. Problem is, many people (myself included) have stayed at the GF with a discount. No way could I afford to buy into the GFV. And other regulars may not be happy with the look of the Villas. I did the tour last week. I LOVE the standard GF rooms and I thought the Villas were ugly.

Way too "point expensive" for me. Seems to cost almost double the points as some other resorts. No thanks.

My DH and I just bought into GFV. We bought enough points (150) to stay there every other year in a lake view in December for 6-7 nts. We originally were only going to see if we could get in with our other units, but decided that we would have a hard time getting in once it is sold out. Our first stay there is Dec 13-20. We had to split our stay between a standard and lake view to keep it within 300 pts, but we made it work.

I agree I had a little sticker shock at first regarding the number of points needed, but it is supposed to be top of the line which is what we prefer. DH and I also prefer the restaurants over there at GF so we thought this was a win win. But I understand it is not for everyone.

GF is considered Disney's flagship resort and because of this it is priced at a premium.

It's possible that Disney wants the rooms for cash guests who have the bucks, will only stay at the GF and now they can get a Villa or Grand Villa.

:earsboy: Bill

Whoops..sorry. It was for 6 nights, Sunday -Saturday.
7 nights should be 407 lake view for the second half of Feb, not for 6 nights. Same for the 2 BR at 551.

Likewise, add 37 points and you have two weeks in an OKW one bedroom.

Holy crap. Ill never get to there at that rate even for one night in a studio

Holy crap. Ill never get to there at that rate even for one night in a studio

It's not that bad, depending on the time of year. Standard View Studio for Adventure season is 125 points in 2014. That should be do-able even for my wife and I on our meager 60 point contract. Just means it's going to be a once in a VERY long while trip, so we're doing it for our fifth anniversary.

Unless we add on there between now and 2016. ;)

sonofanarchy said:
I've been speaking with some owners and resellers. I haven't heard one person say that the GFV are a good deal at all. I think Disney missed the mark on this. Here's my take:

They expected people are GF regulars to buy into the Villas. They obviously have money and it's not an issue for them. Problem is, many people (myself included) have stayed at the GF with a discount. No way could I afford to buy into the GFV. And other regulars may not be happy with the look of the Villas. I did the tour last week. I LOVE the standard GF rooms and I thought the Villas were ugly.

Time will tell the real story with how quickly it sells out, but the early word appears to be that Disney hit the mark square on the head with how sales have started. We were GF regulars before we bought dvc and are now VGF owners too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note2 using DISBoards

I bought 80 points there and I was able to get 6 nights in October in a standard view studio for 108 points. I just want enough points to stay there every few years.

We are also GF regulars and also bought there ,basically because we were always booking two rooms so we thought just for the space alone it is worth it:)

Wow! Just took a look at booking a 1 bedroom, Lake View at the Grand in February and it's available for 407 points! Holy Blankity Blank! 2 Bedroom Lake View is 551 points!

A 1 bedroom Standard View for the same time period is 340 points. Daaaaamn

As a comparison, we stayed in a 2 bedroom Ocean View at Auliani in April for 440 points. I'm just shocked at the amount of points needed for the Grand Floridian. I knew it would be high, but that's really high.

JMHO here, please don't flame me.
I totally understand different strokes for different folks and the appeal GFV may have for some.

We've been owners since 2000 at the BWV and then AKV when that opened up.
I look at the points charts for GFV and at the price per point and I'm blown away.
I get that GF is Disney's flagship, but the view or location just isn't enough IMO to justify such high points costs during President's week (Magic Season).

For points comparison, BC & BWV's location are awesome in their own right being in between two parks like that, with so much going on on the actual boardwalk at night, and night life for adults right there, and a view of water, and yet it is 136 points less (at BWV) for the same week in a one bedroom. Yes, I understand they are older, don't connect to MK and aren't the flagship, but those things just don't mean as much to me as my money does I guess :laughing:

I think it's obvious that Disney is targeting the wealthy with this one, and hey, why not? It's supposed be a place for everyone. Different strokes, and all that, and since Disney is a money making empire it makes sense that they'd go with high end, I just don't get what exactly makes it high end other than higher prices across the board. Service, cleanliness, great food, etc are most definitely found throughout the DVC resorts.

We only book at other onsite DVC resorts if we are planning something too close to our travel dates and there's no availability in our home resorts. Many people don't like BWV or AKV (it is remote), but to us, they are the best on property.

We don't see us ever using our precious points (own 400 altogether) for any kind of room or view at a DVC resort with such high points values. We're too used to the reasonable amount of points the other resorts use. OKW and BW were the first two DVC resorts and therefore have a better point per night value with OKW having enormous rooms.

But if they are selling hard and fast, there must be many many people that don't mind (or aren't as educated in DVC history) paying the high price per point to buy into GFV and using so many points for a room.

Everyone should be happy in the happiest place on Earth :thumbsup2

We most certainly are :woohoo:

I don't hink it is so much targeting the wealthy, but trying to justify the price per point AND making a profit on this location.

BLT and AKV-Savanna both require more points than OKW, SSR, VWL, etc. I have no idea about Aulani because it is totally out of my vision. No desire at all for Aulani.

I think price per point may start to stabilize, but the number of points needed for a stay at the newer locations may rise.

Likewise, add 37 points and you have two weeks in an OKW one bedroom.

On the other hand, the VGF studio with 2 showers is much cheaper for a young family of 5 (153s/183l per week) vs having to have an OKW 1BR (199/week) and only 1 shower.

Yes, I realize OKW 1BR has a lot more to offer, but if you occasionally want to save points every few years, VGF studios are intriguing.

On the other hand, the VGF studio with 2 showers is much cheaper for a young family of 5 (153s/183l per week) vs having to have an OKW 1BR (199/week) and only 1 shower.

Yes, I realize OKW 1BR has a lot more to offer, but if you occasionally want to save points every few years, VGF studios are intriguing.

If you like wall to wall people. I expect to hear reports of the damage in VGF studios within six months from cramming.

I don't hink it is so much targeting the wealthy, but trying to justify the price per point AND making a profit on this location.

BLT and AKV-Savanna both require more points than OKW, SSR, VWL, etc. I have no idea about Aulani because it is totally out of my vision. No desire at all for Aulani.

I think price per point may start to stabilize, but the number of points needed for a stay at the newer locations may rise.

Don't forget VGC. Since we own there and go there a few times per year, seeing the VGF points charts was no big shock to us.

Now, when we moved out west after years of owning and staying at OKW, and started going to VGC (after it was built, of course), now THAT was a shock.

So I can see where most members would see VGF as being a real difference from what they are used to because that's how we initially found VGC to be.

If you like wall to wall people. I expect to hear reports of the damage in VGF studios within six months from cramming.

At 374 sqft, The VGF studio is 60sqft larger than the POR rooms that sleep 5 (314sqft). It will be OK for some families and terrible for others...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter