• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please upgrade to Verandah

klynch

Mouseketeer
I feel stupid asking this but I have to. I see so many posts where people are saying how happy they are, they've been upgraded and it's all due to these boards.

Are there pixies out there making wishes come true and upgrading these happy, happy people? Is it DCL?

We'll be on our 5th disney cruise since 1999 on October 25, 2003 (Western - 7 day). I always book way in advance and always go through the Disney web site about 1 year in advance. We're also DVC members, so we do the land thing for 10 days every year too. So we're regulars who have never been offered a better view, larger room or a cruise stateroom upgrade. I not complaining, simply a fact. I expect to pay for what I get.

I don't have a particular problem or need, so I can't claim a hardship for needing an upgrade, BUT I sure would appreciate it if someone out there reads this and thinks of how this could describe themselves and decides to UPGRADE ME TO A VERANDAH for this 7 day cruise. My wife, 4 and 6 year old would really be thrilled if this happened.

Can pixies send PM's? I hope so, please upgrade me!!! I'm going to Disney!!

There really seems to be no rhyme nor reason to upgrades. They are not as prevalent as one may think, however. They happen to those booking with DCL, using TA's or even DVC sometimes. Kinda like winning the lottery, LOL. :)

Now CarolAnneK, you sound like a pixie, or know one personally.

Put a good word in for a regular guy and his gang.

We'd apprecaite it and will also swear there truly are pixies on these boards if we get a verandah.

Why stop at a verandah? I'd love a category 1! But not enough to pay for it, so I will be happy with the category that I HAVE paid for and leave the more expensive rooms to those folks willing to shell out the extra $$ for them. That's not meant to sound mean or anything, but if you want a verandah, why not just pay for the upgrade like most people do? You can also try to upgrade at the port for generally what is far less $$ than booking a verandah room outright IF there is availability. We did that on our cruise and it worked out really well. Maybe you can make a little magic of your own for your family. You know what they say, pixies help those that help themselves!

Lisa

I wish we were magic pixies and had influence on DCL. We would upgrade all our wonderful posters. But alas, we have no power with DCL. The DIS is not connected with Disney.

But like Carol said, upgrade do not really happen often. When they do happen, there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind them. This is why you should always book the cabin you want and not anticipate an upgrade.

Have a wonderful cruise.

If upgrades were that easy to get (by just requesting them on a board) then I think Barb and Tony would be cruising in the Walt Suite.

Upgrades are wonderful surprises. Would I ever expect one - no I'm quite happy with the room I picked out and paid for.

Think of it like a birthday wish - if you tell you won't get it :)

I just feel fortunate to get to go on a cruise. I'd be happy in a broom closet:)

Thanks for putting things back into perspective! The way the other posts have been lately, it seems like upgrades happen all the time. I think I will call my travel agent back and see about that ocean view room after all...

Originally posted by DreaminDisney
I just feel fortunate to get to go on a cruise. I'd be happy in a broom closet:)

ROTFLMAO...
I know the feeling, just so long as I'm on the ship!

Cindy

:p

Originally posted by Lisa F
Why stop at a verandah? I'd love a category 1! But not enough to pay for it, so I will be happy with the category that I HAVE paid for and leave the more expensive rooms to those folks willing to shell out the extra $$ for them. That's not meant to sound mean or anything, but if you want a verandah, why not just pay for the upgrade like most people do? You can also try to upgrade at the port for generally what is far less $$ than booking a verandah room outright IF there is availability. We did that on our cruise and it worked out really well. Maybe you can make a little magic of your own for your family. You know what they say, pixies help those that help themselves!

Lisa

Thank you Lisa! I sometimes get a bit miffed that I shell out those big bucks every year to pay for my own veranda and see posts from people expecting to get for free what I sacrifice all year to pay for. We don't go out to dinner (not even on our anniversery) don't go to the movies etc. All my paycheck is spent on Disney Dollars (yes I only work part time as a preschool teacher but EVERY penny I save for our annual cruise) I would love to spend $2000.00 and get a cabin that costs someone else $4000.00 at that rate I could cruise in a veranda twice a year! But instead I pay my own big bucks and have the vacation of a lifetime every year.

I do think that it is wonderful when someone is surprised with an upgrade. Some people like Andy (veranda man) who is so selfless and the pagehouse family (with darling Nate that I was willing to help finance his veranda) do DESERVE an upgrade but for the most part I think it is rude to publicly beg for a veranda for no reason other than "I want one".
And I also agree with all the cruises Barb and Tony have been on they should get a suite :) Funny not ONCE have I ever seen them looking for a handout. An upgrade is like a wish on a star, keep it to yourself and maybe it would come true,,,

Hey, this is all well and good!!! However, let's all realize that the OP is probably kinda new here (39 posts...) And, it is true that the past few weeks have seen LOTS of happy upgrade posts!!! (Probably due to it being the Fall OFF season?) If I had just been recently reading all of this... I would be wondering about upgrades too! :eek:

I too agree, that if anyone just has to have that verandah.... and, obviously by all of the Disney/DCL trips listed on these siggies, they have the finances to pay for one... Then, by all means... book the verandah.

Just remember, that there are still lots and lots of folks who simply cannot even consider such a luxury... Why would anyone begrudge some occasional pixie-dust? Hey, let us DREAM a little!!! After all, that is what Disney is all about!

No need to get miffed, lighten up.

I thought anyone reading my post would understand I wrote it tongue in cheek. And yeah, people do get upgraded from time to time. And if someone in a position to do something about it surprised me with an upgrade so be it. I expect nothing but appreciate it anytime I get more than I deserve.

Sounds like most people here pay for what they get. Wouldn't it be nice for all of us if we sometimes get a break??? It never hurts to ask.

Guess I'm not getting the verandah......... Oh well.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could wave a magic wand and get everyone an upgrade? Unfortunately, that's not the case. Upgrades are a random bit of pixie dust that gets showered down on you when you least expect it. That's what makes it so magical!

I'm so happy for the pagehouse family, who got their trip and the upgrade to a verandah thru the kindness of strangers. Having a nephew who has a progressive genetic disease, I know what a strain daily life can be on a family. Whenever it seems like life just can't get any harder for my DB and SIL, some kind stranger does something to remind us that God is sending His love thru His children on Earth.

You can be assured the kindness of the people on this board means more to the Page family than the verandah. To have people who don't even know you, reach out and do what they can to help is the true blessing. That is what will make their trip all the more magical.

As for the OP, I'm sure that if you tried, you could probably find a way to cut costs at home to make a cat. 6 veranda stateroom a possibility. But if not, then you can always hope for a little pixie dust and an upgrade coutesy of DCL.

Don't worry, klynch, most of us understand where you are coming from. Nothing wrong with wanting a little extra pixie dust!

Originally posted by mad4themouse

I'm so happy for the pagehouse family, who got their trip and the upgrade to a verandah thru the kindness of strangers. Having a nephew who has a progressive genetic disease, I know what a strain daily life can be on a family. Whenever it seems like life just can't get any harder for my DB and SIL, some kind stranger does something to remind us that God is sending His love thru His children on Earth.

You can be assured the kindness of the people on this board means more to the Page family than the verandah.
Well said.

upgrade do not really happen often. When they do happen, there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind them. This is why you should always book the cabin you want and not anticipate an upgrade.

Yes, an upgrade to a suite would be a welcome surprise. However, an invitation to one or more of those DCL orgies would be a MOST welcome surprise...

BD the CM's asked me to contact you and say they would be HONORED if you would be their guest at the next upcomming orgy!.. BTW it will be held in the WD suite...

Just to put upgrades into perspective...
With the recent rash of upgrades posted on the boards, it makes them look a lot more common than they really are. But if you notice the dates, the vast majority are in the slow season (remember, we're getting to the thick of hurricane season, and also back-to-school). So while it seems like a lot, I suspect that's the reason behind all the recent upgrades/posts.
Actually, Tony and I were in the Roy Suite on our Western cruise...nope, not sailing in it, but we were invited to a party by Chuck of All Seasons Travel so we had lots of fun checking out the luxury. But as sumptuous as it is, I am always happy in the Barb & Tony Suite (good old 5650) :teeth:
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter