Please tell me about being swept at the 5K

Correct. The sweep clock starts when the last person in the race crosses the start line. From then on, if you do not stay in front of the sweepers and their 16 min/mile pace, you are at risk of being swept. The more forward you are in your corral and the further up your corral is from the last one, the more of a time cushion you have to stay in front of the sweepers.

This is great to know it's my first 10k, I don't want to get swept, but am nervous about it. So if I finish each mile in 8-10 mins I should hopefully be fine? Just hoping I'm not in the last corral

This is great to know it's my first 10k, I don't want to get swept, but am nervous about it. So if I finish each mile in 8-10 mins I should hopefully be fine? Just hoping I'm not in the last corral

With an 8 to 10 minute mile, you will be among probably the top 1/3 of runners as far as race speed goes. If you do start in a later corral (based on your estimated time you submitted at registration) then just keep in mind that pace includes character stops. So if you run a 10 min mile for mile 1...you still have some wiggle room on mile 2 BUT if you spend 25 minutes on mile 2 with stops you are now over the pace limit. Luckily you have the ability to "run for it" when you see the balloon ladies coming based on what your fitness suggests. So I would say you don't have too much to worry about :)

With an 8 to 10 minute mile, you will be among probably the top 1/3 of runners as far as race speed goes. If you do start in a later corral (based on your estimated time you submitted at registration) then just keep in mind that pace includes character stops. So if you run a 10 min mile for mile 1...you still have some wiggle room on mile 2 BUT if you spend 25 minutes on mile 2 with stops you are now over the pace limit. Luckily you have the ability to "run for it" when you see the balloon ladies coming based on what your fitness suggests. So I would say you don't have too much to worry about :)

Yeah just nervous since I've never done it. I don't plan on stopping for Character pictures unless I am doing well enough for me, I'm taking it easy for 5k. I figure if I can jog/walk 5k mostly to try to keep my legs fresh I'll be good for 10k and if I do good for 3 miles during 10k I'll be ok

Yeah just nervous since I've never done it. I don't plan on stopping for Character pictures unless I am doing well enough for me, I'm taking it easy for 5k. I figure if I can jog/walk 5k mostly to try to keep my legs fresh I'll be good for 10k and if I do good for 3 miles during 10k I'll be ok
I was same as you last year. I trained at a 10 min pace but still felt nervous about the timing of everything. I ran slower than trained to take it all in and I stopped for 2 characters once I realized I was gonna be okay and now wish I had stopped for more. Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter