Please tell me about being swept at the 5K

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
DH and I are registered to run the Marathon Weekend 5K in January along with DD and DSiL. They're training for the half, so DH and I decided long ago that we'd just let them go ahead at their pace, and we'll see them waiting for us at the finish. I'm still training and am confident (and determined) that I'll be able to finish - I might not have time to do many character photo stops, but I'll finish! However, DH has had to stop training due to health problems that should be resolved long before January, but he doesn't really like to run or even to walk fast. He was more or less coerced by DD and me into registering for the 5K, and if he starts it at all (might be a race day decision vs. being made in advance), he'll be at high risk of being swept.

SO, I was wondering if one of you could tell us what actually happens if you're swept at the 5K. What's the process - do the balloon ladies tap you on the shoulder, do you stop somewhere and wait for them to come get you, etc.? If I tried to stay with him as long as possible, would I have enough warning to pick up my pace so I could finish? Is there a bus or some other vehicle that takes you to the finish line? Would he already be there when I finish, or arrive later, assuming I'm "just far enough" ahead of the balloon ladies to not be swept myself? Just wanting to know what to expect!

TIA!

And the finish line is right outside of Epcot, so no bus or anything like that.

The "Balloon Ladies" are volunteers - and they follow the guideline established by RunDisney of 16:00/mile. Their presence is a COURTESY to runners. They do not have anything to do with the actual sweeping of runners.

Behind them are the true sweepers. They will be actual RunDisney officials with light-wands on bikes. THEY will be the ones telling runners how they are in reference to pace.

At certain spots on any course, there will be "soft" sweeps and "hard" sweeps. "Soft" sweeps are places where they tell you where you are in relation to time and you can opt to get on a bus. "Hard" sweeps are when they cut you off and put you on a bus.

Once on a bus, they mark down your bib number (so you will have no official result in the register). It's been told that they provide water and Powerade. You are also given an option to take the finisher medal if you so chose. You are left off through a chute PAST the finish line and finisher area - you pretty much have access to the med area if need be and snack boxes, but that's it. No photos, nothing.

The 5K is only timed for Dopey participants. It's been known that people will be picked up in golf carts and either taken to the finisher area OR dropped off right before the finish line so they have a chance to have the "finisher's experience".

If you are moving forward you will finish the 5k. If you stop & ride a bench etc you'll be 'prodded' by the staff to keep moving.

I haven't done a WDW race, but at DL I walk the 5k and not a fast walk either, takes me an hour and I'm faarrrr from the last finisher. I usually don't get to stop for too many pictures because the lines are closed, but I plug along just fine and have never even seen the balloon ladies.

The 5Ks are not known for sweeping. I know people who had 20 minute miles and were in the last corral and finished the 5K never having to be taken on a golf cart. WDW is better at not sweeping 5Ks and even at Disneyland they just had security ride the golf cart with the very last finisher who was a sweet old lady walking the 5K.

I haven't done a WDW race, but at DL I walk the 5k and not a fast walk either, takes me an hour and I'm faarrrr from the last finisher. I usually don't get to stop for too many pictures because the lines are closed, but I plug along just fine and have never even seen the balloon ladies.

The 5Ks are not known for sweeping. I know people who had 20 minute miles and were in the last corral and finished the 5K never having to be taken on a golf cart. WDW is better at not sweeping 5Ks and even at Disneyland they just had security ride the golf cart with the very last finisher who was a sweet old lady walking the 5K.

Thank you, thank you! Sounds like we can walk it together then!

I ran the 5k last year and was worried about stopping for characters because of all the sweep talk online. There ended up being 5 character stops total. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I was worried about time and so I stopped for only the last two. In hindsight I wish I stopped for at least one or two more based on seeing how lenient they were with finishing times.
There was one before mile 1 before entering Epcot, three between mile 1 and 2 in the world showcase, and 1 after mile 2 in future world.

So if you get scared of the line at the first one and want to skip it before going into Epcot...you'll have 4 more chances once inside Epcot where a sweep is less likely.
I hope that eases some worry.

I personally am slow, Have never seen sweepers or balloon ladies during 5k's. I have chosen not to stop for characters because 1. I was terrified of getting swept, 2. I've seen most during my visits to parks. I'm mad at myself for not taking time to stop for picture in France with lumiere and cogsworth this past year but other than that I have no personal regrets. I will say now that Photopass folks do race pictures I maybe more likely to stop for pictures since. 1. I know I can do 5k and not fear being swept. 2. I already will have "paid" for pictures.

Hoping to have a photo of DH and myself crossing the Finish line together. If we can get photos with characters, that will be the icing on the cake!

So - I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but as there had been questions about it here I thought I would post my experience here.

There is most definitely a 'sweep' of the 5K at Disney, even though the events are untimed. The first is considered a "soft sweep" and is done at roughly the 1-mile mark and is conducted by medical. For the 5K this morning, the 1-mile mark was the entrance to Animal Kingdom and med pulled about four people - they were loaded on to golf carts and taken to a bend right before the finish line to finish and have the finishers experience. There is no SAG tent at the 5K like there is for 10/Half/Full - RD will transport you to near the finish line and let you cross the finish line, provided you can cross under your own power.

There is also a "hard sweep" done by course officials - in the case of this morning, all runners needed to be out of the on-stage portion of the park by 8 a.m. - if they were not, they would be picked up in a golf cart and taken to an area close to the finish line to finish the race.

While these aren't the traditional SAG sweeps RunDisney does for the other races, you can and WILL be picked up and moved along the course so that the teams can tear down the course and allow park operations to prepare to open the park for the day.

Also, characters are on a strict schedule - Rafiki was greeting at Mile 1 - his set began at 6:30 (the first runner passed at 6:34) and he was finished at 7:24. So, that's essentially falling in line with the balloon ladies passing him (if they were there for the 5K) and once they pass, he's released for the day and the photo op is #closed.

I have other stories from this morning, but I'll save that for a post on volunteering. But that's my experience as working as a course monitor for the race this morning and what we were told to do.

Thanks, @Keels! This is very helpful. I realize that starting from the last corral (as we may do) means not starting for some time after the official 6:00 AM start, but I'm becoming more confident that I will finish without being carted off!

You'll do great! Just remember to keep moving forward and keep a smile on your face - and think of that HUGE medal you're getting at the end!

There will be so many people along the course to support you and encourage you, plus the race-day push of adrenaline? You'll really surprise yourself!

Not to highjack the thread but can anyone tell me about the 10K. I did the 5K last year and walked the whole thing. I wasn't in the last group and never saw anyone sweeping. There was still a lot of people behind me.

So this year I am doing the 10K. I've slacked on my training and now I'm a little worried. I can walk it no problem and my walk pace is close to a 16 min mile. (thankful I got a few days left to pick it up... lol)

Can someone clear up for me... I was told that the sweep team doesn't start until the last group cross the start line... they start 16 minutes after and maintain pace. There isn't a sweep/pace team after every group/Coral start. Is that correct?

Not to highjack the thread but can anyone tell me about the 10K. I did the 5K last year and walked the whole thing. I wasn't in the last group and never saw anyone sweeping. There was still a lot of people behind me.

So this year I am doing the 10K. I've slacked on my training and now I'm a little worried. I can walk it no problem and my walk pace is close to a 16 min mile. (thankful I got a few days left to pick it up... lol)

Can someone clear up for me... I was told that the sweep team doesn't start until the last group cross the start line... they start 16 minutes after and maintain pace. There isn't a sweep/pace team after every group/Coral start. Is that correct?

Correct. The sweep clock starts when the last person in the race crosses the start line. From then on, if you do not stay in front of the sweepers and their 16 min/mile pace, you are at risk of being swept. The more forward you are in your corral and the further up your corral is from the last one, the more of a time cushion you have to stay in front of the sweepers.

You are correct that they base the pace off of the last group that has crossed the start line. (not based on every corral that goes) There will be bikers putting flags up on mile markers to warn people that they are behind pace and some of the bikers will be letting runners know verbally as well. I was spectating the half marathon last year by the castle because I had a castle breakfast ADR. And we watched the final runners go through the castle several minutes after the balloon ladies went through. They were followed by bikers and got a special Anna & Elsa greeting which was cool. I believe sweeps happen outside of the parks on the roads and not inside the parks, but every year/race/situation is probably different. My guess is that less sweeps happen during the 10k because it's not out on the roads as much as the half. Hope that helps. AND YOU'LL DO GREAT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter