PLEASE SHARE -What is it like to resort park now?

Unless they return to using paper parking passes at all resorts, I can't imagine what it would be. Can you?

I will start by saying I have no actual information as to how WDW is planning on using the License Plate Reader systems they have installed. I work for a company that sells and installs these systems. I don't work directly for that division, but I do know how they CAN work. But again, I have no idea how WDW is planning on doing this.

Scenario #1 - Non resort Guest arrives for an ADR. While guard is checking ID, license plate is read. Time stamp is added to the License number in the database. When car goes to leave license plate is read again and the total time in the lot is calculated. Day guest may be charged for how long they were there.

Scenario #2 - Resort Guest with rental car gives guard ID, and/or MB is scanned and License plate is read with time stamp and gets connected to Guests MB in the system. Guests unload luggage and one guest goes to return the rental Car. System reads License plate leaving. That license plate does not get scanned again entering parking lot. Guests are not charged for parking upon check out.

Scenario #3 - Resort Guest with rental car gives guard ID, and/or MB is scanned, License plate is read with time stamp and gets connected to Guests MB in the system. Guests return rental car 4 days into their 7 night trip, System reads License plate leaving. That license plate does not get scanned again entering parking lot. Guests are charged for 3 nights of overnight parking when they check out.

Scenario #4 - Resort guest with car (owned or rental) gives guard ID, and/or MB is scanned, License Plate is read with time stamp and gets connected to Guests MB in the system. Guests have car for their entire 7 night trip. Upon check out, guests are charged for 7 nights of overnight parking.

Scenario #4 - Non resort guest arrives for breakfast ADR, gives guard ID, License plate is read, time stamp is added to the License number in the database. Guests hop on monorail/boat/bus or walk to park until 10PM. Golf carts with the License plate reading tech is driving around checking how long each vehicle has been in the lot against those registered to guests. If vehicle is over a certain limit, a notice can be placed on vehicle or vehicle could be towed away, etc.

I am sure there are more possible scenarios, but these are the ones I have seen mentioned the most here on the DIS. Again, I have NO information as to how WDW will be handling this. I just wanted to illustrate a very common way properties use this technology for parking control.

If you are a day guest there is nothing to be billed for, you will have to see the guard upon driving in, tell them what you're doing at the resort and be allowed entry. Nothing is to be paid as day guest parking is free.

Hahahahaaa! So the free parking people also get this new " more personalized greeting" Ive been reading about??? This is getting more and more ridiculous that I cant stop laughing! Why dont I just give the day guests my room and magic band too !!

Last edited:
Hmmm... seems really clear to me. If you are an onsite guest you will have a room at a resort. If you aren't, you won't. The guard asks for ID when you enter and if you are a guest, a MB is scanned.
They've never checked for day guests who overstay their welcome and probably never will
If you are there as an overnight guest, when you check out, if you have had a car at the resort, parking will be added to your bill. If you haven't had a car at the resort, you won't have parking added to your bill
If you are a day guest, you won't have a bill to have parking added to. So nothing to pay.

The fees are clear. I started this thread just to see the operation of it all. At what point is it recognized you are overnight parking? If a resort guest rents a car for only part of the trip, do they need to dispute charges at the end of their trip? Are day guests asked any questions? Do they have a time limit, or need ticket validation? Are they given time stamped tickets? Are they just waved through? How is Disney now accommodating paying guests who can not find parking easily etc..etc..etc...

There is a way to make it so that someone who makes a purchase at that specific location can get free parking. Validate their ticket, etc. Thousands of venues nation (if not world) wide make it work. Disney could too.

Aulani.....

PARKING
Self parking and valet services are available at Aulani Resort. Below, find details about parking rates and policies:

Parking for Overnight Guests
There's so much to do at and around Aulani Resort that you may not need a car! For overnight Guests who wish to park, self parking is $37* per day, or for the same price, enjoy convenient valet parking service. Rates are subject to change.

Parking for Disney Vacation Club Members
Disney Vacation Club Members staying on a points reservation can enjoy convenient self-parking at no daily charge for up to 2 vehicles.

Parking Validation for Day Guests
The following parking fees apply for day Guests visiting Aulani Resort:
  • Valet parking for day Guests is $37* per day
  • Self-parking for day Guests is $12 per hour—or a maximum of $37* per day

Enjoy complimentary self-parking or valet parking at Aulani Resort for up to 4 hours when you spend $35* or more at the following venues:

To have your parking validated, please bring your parking ticket and purchase receipt to 'AMA'AMA, Makahiki or Laniwai – A Disney Spa.

The fees are clear. I started this thread just to see the operation of it all.
1. At what point is it recognized you are overnight parking?
2. If a resort guest rents a car for only part of the trip, do they need to dispute charges at the end of their trip?
3. Are day guests asked any questions?
4. Do they have a time limit, or need ticket validation?
5. Are they given time stamped tickets? Are they just waved through?
6. How is Disney now accommodating paying guests who can not find parking easily etc..etc..etc...
1. When you have a room overnight
2. Probably, unless the use the license plate tech PP mentioned
3. I'll be shocked if they are.
4. For what purpose? Day guests have no fees so why a time limit?
5. Same as 4
6. Same as they are now

That's great but WDW isn't doing theirs like that. Day guests are parking for free at any time, no spending anything required or anything.
They should have but they aren't

Aulani.....

PARKING
Self parking and valet services are available at Aulani Resort. Below, find details about parking rates and policies:

Parking for Overnight Guests
There's so much to do at and around Aulani Resort that you may not need a car! For overnight Guests who wish to park, self parking is $37* per day, or for the same price, enjoy convenient valet parking service. Rates are subject to change.

Parking for Disney Vacation Club Members
Disney Vacation Club Members staying on a points reservation can enjoy convenient self-parking at no daily charge for up to 2 vehicles.

Parking Validation for Day Guests
The following parking fees apply for day Guests visiting Aulani Resort:
  • Valet parking for day Guests is $37* per day
  • Self-parking for day Guests is $12 per hour—or a maximum of $37* per day

Enjoy complimentary self-parking or valet parking at Aulani Resort for up to 4 hours when you spend $35* or more at the following venues:

To have your parking validated, please bring your parking ticket and purchase receipt to 'AMA'AMA, Makahiki or Laniwai – A Disney Spa.

Yep, couldn't agree more (and this comes from someone who doesn't drive). Funny thing, charging day guests to park would #1, fix that problem and #2, not alienate the overnight guests. Don't know why they didn't go that route. Seems like it would make the most sense all the way around
No way are they gonna alienate locals who want to go to a deluxe for a
Meal. I could see them requiring validation though.
Golf carts with the License plate reading tech is driving around checking how long each vehicle has been in the lot against those registered to guests.

This seems painless until you factor in Disney hate hates hates adding staff for anything. Having a tech scan each and every car in parking lot would be a time consuming and tedious job and I very much doubt Disney is gonna add extra staff for at it every lot at every resort to do this every night of the year

This seems painless until you factor in Disney hate hates hates adding staff for anything. Having a tech scan each and every car in parking lot would be a time consuming and tedious job and I very much doubt Disney is gonna add extra staff for at it every lot at every resort to do this every night of the year

While I agree, it would surprise me that they spent the $$ to outfit over 25 carts with the technology to then not use it.

I will start by saying I have no actual information as to how WDW is planning on using the License Plate Reader systems they have installed. I work for a company that sells and installs these systems. I don't work directly for that division, but I do know how they CAN work. But again, I have no idea how WDW is planning on doing this.

Scenario #1 - Non resort Guest arrives for an ADR. While guard is checking ID, license plate is read. Time stamp is added to the License number in the database. When car goes to leave license plate is read again and the total time in the lot is calculated. Day guest may be charged for how long they were there.

Scenario #2 - Resort Guest with rental car gives guard ID, and/or MB is scanned and License plate is read with time stamp and gets connected to Guests MB in the system. Guests unload luggage and one guest goes to return the rental Car. System reads License plate leaving. That license plate does not get scanned again entering parking lot. Guests are not charged for parking upon check out.

Scenario #3 - Resort Guest with rental car gives guard ID, and/or MB is scanned, License plate is read with time stamp and gets connected to Guests MB in the system. Guests return rental car 4 days into their 7 night trip, System reads License plate leaving. That license plate does not get scanned again entering parking lot. Guests are charged for 3 nights of overnight parking when they check out.

Scenario #4 - Resort guest with car (owned or rental) gives guard ID, and/or MB is scanned, License Plate is read with time stamp and gets connected to Guests MB in the system. Guests have car for their entire 7 night trip. Upon check out, guests are charged for 7 nights of overnight parking.

Scenario #4 - Non resort guest arrives for breakfast ADR, gives guard ID, License plate is read, time stamp is added to the License number in the database. Guests hop on monorail/boat/bus or walk to park until 10PM. Golf carts with the License plate reading tech is driving around checking how long each vehicle has been in the lot against those registered to guests. If vehicle is over a certain limit, a notice can be placed on vehicle or vehicle could be towed away, etc.

I am sure there are more possible scenarios, but these are the ones I have seen mentioned the most here on the DIS. Again, I have NO information as to how WDW will be handling this. I just wanted to illustrate a very common way properties use this technology for parking control.

You have lots of great scenarios. But what happens to the resort guest that brings their own car and drives it every day to the park? How does it register how many nights? I guess based on our in and out time stamps each day?

Problem with this aproach is how do they determine an "appropriate or standard length of time without pushing people away who are there to spend money? DH and I stay at OKW on rented points for our anniversary trip, so no resort parking fees for us. However, our anniversary gifts to each other are spa packages at the GF Senses that last around 3 hours and average about $350.00 each. Add in the spa's expectation that you arrive 30 minutes early and time to shower and dress after the packages. We typically then head to Mizner's for a drink before going to Citricos reservations. All in all, we're there for 7-8 hours hours and spend close to $1000.00. Or in other words, we're there using the parking lot for less time than an overnight guest and spending more than many of the rooms cost for a night. Should we have to pay to park?

Even without overnight parking fees due to the points reservations, this may end up being the straw that breaks the camel's back for us. The increased fees and pricing don't balance out with the decrease in onsite perks and customer service any more. If we didn't already have this non-refundable trip booked and paid for, I would be voting with my money and canceling. We've had APs for close to 10 years and for the past 19 years take annual onsite trips that range from 14 to 20 nights with the occasional 5 to 7 day trip on the side. Unless things start to turn around, this will be the last year we renew our APs and the last year we stay onsite. And if we have to pay to park at the GF? They will be out the $1000 we would have spent there and we will be spending half that amount offsite for our anniversary. At some point the principle outweighs the magic of the Disney bubble.

We usually book a lot of resort dining to escape the madness of the parks and my tentative plans include Citricos, Artist Point, Jiko's, Beaches and Cream, and the California Grill brunch as well as visiting several of the lounges. My ADR window opens up in a few weeks so how this plays out will have a large impact on how much money Disney gets versus how much we spend outside the World. We drive because it's easier from our location than flying - not to go offsite. It's been several years since we left Disney property for anything more than an urgent care or cough syrup run. This year may be a drastically different experience.

I hope you ll give us ur take on ur upcoming visit, love to hear ur opinion ..

I'm curious as to how this will work in my situation on an upcoming trip. We are flying into Clearwater, renting a car, and staying there for a few nights. Then we'll drive the rental car do WDW, drop off our luggage at the hotel (I presume scanning our MB at the guard gate to prove we have a resort reservation). Then, DH will drive the rental to the rental car site to drop it off. We won't be parking overnight at all. Curious as to how they will know not to charge us.
I’m doing the same thing. Returning rental to car Care Centre after leaving luggage with Bell Service (if room isn’t ready) and checking in. I’ll be ok for this. Trip as I booked before deadline. But wonder how it will work for future trips. I think mistakes could be made easily. I’m going to keep my rental return slip just in case.

I’m doing the same thing. Returning rental to car Care Centre after leaving luggage with Bell Service (if room isn’t ready) and checking in. I’ll be ok for this. Trip as I booked before deadline. But wonder how it will work for future trips. I think mistakes could be made easily. I’m going to keep my rental return slip just in case.
Good plan to keep the rental car receipt. Luckily I have some time before my trip to hear some actual experiences of how this will work. Thanks to @DISNEY1975 for starting this thread!

I've always wondered why the resorts don't just charge for parking and require you to validate parking when you're there for meals. It's a simple procedure and would solve a lot of these issues. As someone else mentioned Aulani does it; took 30 seconds to get mine validated and I was on my way. As half the hotels out there charge for overnight parking, I'm not bothered by the additional charge but the fact that people who aren't staying there can come and go for free is really irritating.

The way I'm looking at it is by just looking at how they've implemented both the dog policy and the room check policy. Nothing about either of those leads me to believe there had been any significant planning put in to this new parking policy beyond what they are doing now. Which is asking guests "do you have a car?" for those that do go to the desk to check in. I'm hoping they have at least thought of what they will do about guests who don't have to go to the front desk. But honestly, not all that confident that they have based on past performance.
While we don't drive we have had many trips with zero interaction with the front desk. I'm certain the same can be said by folks who drive too. So really, the only unknown is what is the plan for them? Folks who haven't gotten their room numbers and have to go to the front desk will be easy, they'll tell the CM at check in. If that guest has a car and is only going to have the car for a part of their stay that is also easy to tell them at that time too. It's those who get room assignments via text that are in question.

Hahahahaaa! So the free parking people also get this new " more personalized greeting" Ive been reading about??? This is getting more and more ridiculous that I cant stop laughing! Why dont I just give the day guests my room and magic band too !!

It's been that way for years, nothing new about the guard inquiring what you're doing at the resort. When you pull into a resort that you aren't staying at you pull to the left to speak to the guard and state why you're there, it's SOP. If you're staying onsite at that resort you drive to the right to get into the resort with your magic band. I presume you are being sarcastic (which isn't always clear when reading.) Whether or not overnight guests are being ripped off isn't being disputed in my comment, it was based solely on how day guests will access parking.

The way I'm looking at it is by just looking at how they've implemented both the dog policy and the room check policy. Nothing about either of those leads me to believe there had been any significant planning put in to this new parking policy beyond what they are doing now. Which is asking guests "do you have a car?" for those that do go to the desk to check in. I'm hoping they have at least thought of what they will do about guests who don't have to go to the front desk. But honestly, not all that confident that they have based on past performance.
While we don't drive we have had many trips with zero interaction with the front desk. I'm certain the same can be said by folks who drive too. So really, the only unknown is what is the plan for them? Folks who haven't gotten their room numbers and have to go to the front desk will be easy, they'll tell the CM at check in. If that guest has a car and is only going to have the car for a part of their stay that is also easy to tell them at that time too. It's those who get room assignments via text that are in question.

Agree with this completely, this process of charging overnight guests for parking will be as weakly implemented as the dog policy and room checking, it will be spotty, hit or miss and everyone will have a completely different story and experience about how little or greatly it affected their trip. And likely Disney will have some changes as they learn how people can easily cheat the system. We drive in and we rarely go to the front desk since we already have our MB and we don't usually need anything. Combine that with the vast majority of Disney newbies who don't even know about being charged for overnight parking as a resort guest and they'll see it on their bill and have to contest it/completely miss it or it won't be billed at all at check out. I presume that changes will be afoot if Disney is going to make this money maker really work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter