PLEASE :) Help with May 10 Atlantis Launch at KSC

Perla

Earning My Ears
First of all, it is May 14th for the launch. Sorry I couldn't edit the title. Well, I read a little about the launch and then was mortified when I read about "6 hour drive". :scared1:

I would love to have some information about making an attempt to go watch that day. It is scheduled for 2:19pm. I'm sure if my husband hears about the traffic, I'll be heading over with the kids by myself:drive: while he lingers around the pool all day:wave: wishing me a pleasant trip as I drive off.

Thanks for any imput.

Hello there - STS-132 (Atlantis Orbiter) is currently scheduled for May 14 at 2:39 PM. My DH are planning to bring our 2 DS for the launch. We have booked our flights, and hotels for May 13 - 16 before moving to Disney on the 16th until May 23rd.

The drive to KSC from Orlando is a mere 1 hour.. where the extra time might come in is as a result of the volume of traffic that moves into Titusville around the launch.. it might take 6 hours to get back out.!

Thanks. of course as soon as I hit the *post* button I realized I had the wrong date. Ugh, I don't know if I could even get the kids to go if they hear about the time to travel.

When I got my STS-131 Discovery launch tickets for the original launch date March 18, 2010, I was hoping it got delayed into the first week of April 2010 for my kids' Spring Break. It turned out we got lucky the launch re-scheduled and Discovery lifted off on April 5, 2010.

Note your launch tickets are valid until the successful launch of STS-132.

There were scrolling warning signs in the Visitor Complex something like "expect traffic to Orlando area 3 to 4 hours".

For our drive from KSC Visitor Complex to Disney Kidani Village, we took “back roads” in little over 2 hours to avoid traffic on Route 528 (Beachline Expy). Back roads from KSC Visitor Complex to Disney Kidani Village = Route 405 to Route 50 to Route 408 to Route 4 (tolls = $1.75).

When I got my STS-131 Discovery launch tickets for the original launch date March 18, 2010, I was hoping it got delayed into the first week of April 2010 for my kids' Spring Break. It turned out we got lucky the launch re-scheduled and Discovery lifted off on April 5, 2010.

Note your launch tickets are valid until the successful launch of STS-132.

There were scrolling warning signs in the Visitor Complex something like "expect traffic to Orlando area 3 to 4 hours".

For our drive from KSC Visitor Complex to Disney Kidani Village, we took “back roads” in little over 2 hours to avoid traffic on Route 528 (Beachline Expy). Back roads from KSC Visitor Complex to Disney Kidani Village = Route 405 to Route 50 to Route 408 to Route 4 (tolls = $1.75).

We also did the “Guided Tour - Discover KSC: Today & Tomorrow” on our second complimentary visit within 7 days of launch, a 2-hours tour, where I bought the tickets online KSC website which I chose a time on drop down boxes. We received special pink stickers read “KSC TOUR, name, time, SPECIAL GUEST”. We got on an all-white paint scheme bus with more comfortable seats, NOT the buses with red/blue stripes and “Kennedy Space Center” written on sides of the buses. These red/blue stripes buses are for tours on the day of paid admissions and launch day purposes.

Our KSC tour brought us closer to everything including launch pads explained the tour guide. The KSC tours on the day of paid admissions are not the same explained the tour guide.

This picture taken inside that all-white paint scheme bus with no flash and no zoom.

DSC00262.jpg

Yes, just stay off the main route to the Cape and you'll be ok, in that you'll keep moving and not be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

Always remember that launches can be scrubbed in a moment's notice.

First of all, it is May 14th for the launch. Sorry I couldn't edit the title. Well, I read a little about the launch and then was mortified when I read about "6 hour drive". :scared1:

I would love to have some information about making an attempt to go watch that day. It is scheduled for 2:19pm. I'm sure if my husband hears about the traffic, I'll be heading over with the kids by myself:drive: while he lingers around the pool all day:wave: wishing me a pleasant trip as I drive off.

Thanks for any imput.

Oh, to see the launch it's worth enduring some travel headaches!!! :thumbsup2

But like ^myDISboards^ said, it is also possible to avoid the headaches!! After STS-129's perfect launch :woohoo:, we went South thru Cocoa Beach, then took back roads to the West, because of where we were staying in Kissimmee. If you study Mapquest or Google Maps, you should be able to find a good route without using the Beachline... that's what turns into a major parking lot.

If it goes on time, you could stop in Titusville to eat at Dixie Crossroads (as long as you all like seafood!!) That will give traffic a chance to settle a bit.

Gook luck, and enjoy your trip!! :hippie:

For several shuttle launches in a row we've driven from Orlando to Titusville, watched the launch from a public beach, and high-tailed it out of there. We arrive about 1 hr. before launch to park, and get back a little over an hour after launch. It's do-able and possible.

Get the Sunpass-mini for your car. It saves a LOT of time at the toll roads. And with the popularity of the launches rising (since they are phasing out) I'll be at the next one 2 hrs. early so I can be sure to get a good parking spot. Bring a snack, watch a movie in the car, it's worth it to see the launch!!!

I thank each of you for all the help. I will definately make the trip. Hopefully, it doesn't get scrubbed, as I am renting a car for the day, and our flight back to PA is the next day so there won't be a second chance for us to see it. Great pics MyDISboards, someday I will just do the tour, but I will just be happy to be somewhere close this time. My son was married in WDW in 99, on the day of their wedding, there was a launch and we have a pic of the shuttle over their heads. It isnt real big, but you can see it in the sky. I never would have know it was going to happen, but a Disney gardener was doing the flower beds near the wedding pavilion and told us it was going up in about 10 minutes, so we had our eyes to the sky and snapped the pic. I said right then, if I'm ever back and theres a launch, I'm going! I know it can be delayed at the last moment, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the directions, sounds like the back roads will be my best bet, I will avoid the Beachline. I hope I can find the public beach area in Titusville. Do you think I can get a Sunpass for tolls on my rental car?

I just watched the last launch from Titusville. It was an 1 hr. 15 mins drive from my house which is slightly past WDW. It took 2 hrs. 30 mins to return home. Traffic from the beach to the 417 exit on the Beachline was bumper to bumper coming back.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

For several shuttle launches in a row we've driven from Orlando to Titusville, watched the launch from a public beach, and high-tailed it out of there. We arrive about 1 hr. before launch to park, and get back a little over an hour after launch. It's do-able and possible.

Get the Sunpass-mini for your car. It saves a LOT of time at the toll roads. And with the popularity of the launches rising (since they are phasing out) I'll be at the next one 2 hrs. early so I can be sure to get a good parking spot. Bring a snack, watch a movie in the car, it's worth it to see the launch!!!

I have to comment that there are really no beaches right in Titusville to watch the launch from. On launch days the beaches closest to Titusville in Brevard County close 3 days before launch ( Canaveral National Seashore-Playlinda ) Where do you go to the beach to watch from? Jetty Park?

To the OP . I think as we get to the final launches you should plan on getting to the area earlier-especially for one in the middle of the day. Even getting south to where we live takes more than an hour to get home so plan on a few hours drive back to Orlando. The roads getting back to the interstate or 528 will be bumper to bumper traffic. If you think the kids won't be able to handle a few hours in the car to get back will they be able to entertain themselves for hours while you wait for the launch?
Best spots to watch from without buying passes are on the river in Titusville,(can see ignition and lift off from ground) but there really is nothing to keep kids entertained unless you bring stuff to do and eat while they wait.

Going to the beach is a great way to spend time while waiting for a day launch. A lot of people go to the beach right at the pier in Cocoa Beach. You can even go out to the end of the pier to watch( charge about $5) You see the shuttle once it clears building and tree height.
Never done it myself since I live about 30 miles South of the space center, but think you could also get a good view from the beaches south of New Smyrna in the Canaveral National Seashore. Has anyone ever watched from there?

I have to comment that there are really no beaches right in Titusville to watch the launch from. On launch days the beaches closest to Titusville in Brevard County close 3 days before launch ( Canaveral National Seashore-Playlinda ) Where do you go to the beach to watch from? Jetty Park?

Not actually a beach, but the waterline on the Indian River. Where we go we get a clear and unobstructed view of the shuttle on the launch pad---works great for us! Plus it allows us to get out of there very quickly.

I had an email today that the tickets are on sale Thursday at 9 AM for the May 14th Space shuttle launch. I thank you for all the information the posters have provided. I really don't want to buy the NASA tickets because if it is postponed, we will not be able to stay to watch the rescheduled one, as we leave the next day. That is why I was wondering if there was anywhere to watch from the beaches near the liftoff. I will try the Indian River, but my teens were hoping for a little beach time, but understand they close beaches nearby for the launch. I will still make the drive, and thanks again for the back roads directions. :thumbsup2 Hopefully that will allow me to get back for my last night in Disney.

I had an email today that the tickets are on sale Thursday at 9 AM for the May 14th Space shuttle launch. I thank you for all the information the posters have provided. I really don't want to buy the NASA tickets because if it is postponed, we will not be able to stay to watch the rescheduled one, as we leave the next day. That is why I was wondering if there was anywhere to watch from the beaches near the liftoff. I will try the Indian River, but my teens were hoping for a little beach time, but understand they close beaches nearby for the launch. I will still make the drive, and thanks again for the back roads directions. :thumbsup2 Hopefully that will allow me to get back for my last night in Disney.

The Best Shuttle Viewing Sites In Brevard County at http://www.titusville.com/page.asp?navid=204

(These sites are outside of the NASA property in Titusville Florida and are free to the public.)

(1) Space View Park
(2) Parrish Park
(3) Sand Point Park
(4) William J. Manzo Park
(5) Rotary Riverfront Park
(6) Kennedy Point Park
(7) Municipal Marina

Not actually a beach, but the waterline on the Indian River. Where we go we get a clear and unobstructed view of the shuttle on the launch pad---works great for us! Plus it allows us to get out of there very quickly.

Could you please provide the area where you go on mapquest or google maps (longtitude/latitude if possible). DS13 and I witnessed STS-131 on April 05, 2010 from NASA Causeway. We want to make it out to the last three launches in 2010 free with unobstructed view. Is the area you mentioned less than 12 miles to launch pad? Space View Park is about 12 miles to launch pad. Thank you!

The Best Shuttle Viewing Sites In Brevard County at http://www.titusville.com/page.asp?navid=204

(These sites are outside of the NASA property in Titusville Florida and are free to the public.)

(1) Space View Park
(2) Parrish Park
(3) Sand Point Park
(4) William J. Manzo Park
(5) Rotary Riverfront Park
(6) Kennedy Point Park
(7) Municipal Marina

Thanks! This is great information. We are planning on the May 14th launch if all goes well.

Sandy

I couldn't get into the virtual waiting room at 8:45AM EDT. Also I couldn't order via KSC website between 9:00AM-10:40AM EDT and with 2 phones constant busy tones. At about 10:45AM EDT, KSC web order page stated "We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Launch tickets will not go on sale today. Please check back for a new on sale date and time."

MaintenancePageKSC.jpg

Could you please provide the area where you go on mapquest or google maps (longtitude/latitude if possible). DS13 and I witnessed STS-131 on April 05, 2010 from NASA Causeway. We want to make it out to the last three launches in 2010 free with unobstructed view. Is the area you mentioned less than 12 miles to launch pad? Space View Park is about 12 miles to launch pad. Thank you!

To dis-happy (since you haven't reply to my post):

For free public areas, I reached out via Private Messages (PM) with a DIS member named BPCooper (Ben) has an awesome guide and photos for viewing launches from Cape Canaveral. Ben’s website is at http://www.launchphotography.com/Launch_Viewing_Information.html

BPCooper said:
Hello,

The area he is describing is Port Canaveral, along highway 528 and 401. It's as open to anyone (not on base) as Titusville is but it's a drop farther. I recommend Titusville.

And that photo he posted doesn't have the shuttle in it lol.

I guess the area you go (dis-happy) maybe this view/photo along highway 528 and 401 (zoomed in) posted by a DIS member.
LaunchPadfromBeachline.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter