Please help me regarding deciding to stay onsite vs offsite

DisneyChick2013

Earning My Ears
I am going to need 2 rooms at moderate resort- I was reading one of the trip guides and saw this information regarding the Caribe royale all suites resort- and was really surprised to see the cheaper price for a 2 bedroom suite. I really want to stay onsite as I think it adds to the experience- but it's hard to ignore the pricing difference. Are the perks really worth it? I have these visions of waiting forever for buses to get to the parks. My husband doesn't really see the benefit for staying onsite if its no easier to get around and you have a small room, etc

Thanks!

How often do you go to WDW? If you go a lot and are looking to stay off-site once, I wouldn't discourage you. But if it's a once in a lifetime or once every few years thing, then I would stay on-site and get everything you can out of the Disney magic pixiedust:

I just love staying on site I just love being around everything Disney. While on property you are in a magical land where everything on the outside is forgotten while you are here. I always rent a car because I love my independence of getting around. Staying on property you don't pay for parking and you get the extra magic hours at the park. I may be cheaper off property but I love staying in Disney.

Are the perks really worth it? I have these visions of waiting forever for buses to get to the parks. My husband doesn't really see the benefit for staying onsite if its no easier to get around and you have a small room, etc

Thanks!

Well, that depends on what is important to you. Do you think you would like extra time in the parks (EMH)? Disney theming at your resort? Possible use of the dining plans? Delivery of items you buy in the parks to your resort? Bus transportation to your resort?

I have to tell you that no mods have great transportation, and you will be waiting for buses. But you can drive to the parks if you are staying onsite, we do it all the time. And the parking is free if you are staying onsite.

Have you checked for any room discounts during your dates? Also consider NOT getting a package and using a room discount, buying tickets from Undercover Tourist using the mouse savers .com discount, and not using the dining plan. These are all good ways to save money.

Will you have your own car? Could you care less about Extra Magic Hours or the Dining Plan? Does your family always stay together? If you can say Yes to all of those, then off site is a good choice. You will get more room for the money.

I've done both on and off site trips, and wouldn't dream of being off site if I didn't have a car. And even then I would still have money set aside for taxis, as my family does split up from time to time.

Since we are Disney veterans, we now rarely stay on-site. Yes, there are some perks to staying on Disney property, EMH, free parking, and Disney themed properties. However, we have been staying consistently at Hawthorn Suites, located on 8303 Palm Parkway, LBV for the last 10-12 years. It is primarily a suites hotel but does have some single rooms. Hot buffet breakfast is included in the cost of stay. It is only 1 mile from the entrance of DTD with
plenty of good places to shop and eat. The cost of the stay is much less than Disney and the premises, rooms etc are very clean and a wonderful staff.
We will be back there this December.

I agree with the others asking if this is a trip that's frequent or not. If you want to try offsite once than I say go for it but if this isn't a frequent trip than stay on site. I can say that for me I wont even go to Disney if it meant staying offsite (but thats just me!). I just don't feel like I'm there until I check into the wonderfully themed hotels and I'm surrounded by all Disney. Just knowing when I'm grabbing breakfast ill be greeted by a cast member or have a Mickey waffle makes my day.
I have never had a bad bus wait at any of the resorts I've stayed at and you have to decide if the larger room is something you really will use or need. I have never thought the room sizes were bad. I also think being in the heart of it all gives off a different feel - I can't put a price on being surrounded by the magic for the whole trip. It helps it feel like a true escape from the real world.

I go to WDW several times a year and always swore I'd stay home before I'd ever stay offsite. Then last Oct, just a few weeks before we were leaving for our Oct/Nov trip a coworker offered me a one bedroom villa at her timeshre, just one mile off Disney property for just $400.00 for the week. We rent a car anyway, don't do the DDP, and have APs, (so parking is free), and we don't really do EMH, so that deal was just too good to pass up. We decided to give offsite a chance and so canceled the reservation we already had for the week at CBR. We were so glad we did. We loved having all the extra room, a large jacuzzi tub, a fully equipped kitchen, two TVs, a washer/dryer, etc. We loved it so much that I came back, canceled my WDW room I had booked for our May trip and rebooked through a third party for a one bedroom villa at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We'll again have alot more space, a fully equipped kitchen, living room with fold out couch bed, a seperate bedroom with a king size bed, jacuzzi tub, large walk in shower, washer/dryer, nicer pools, several hot tubs and pool slides, two lazy rivers, a kids water play area, a free mini golf course etc, that is at a Deluxe resort, physically inside Disney gates, (so is closer to the parks than some of the WDW resorts), and will be paying less than we would for even a tiny Value room at WDW, much less the moderates we normally stay at. For just $896.00 for the ten nights ($89.60/night) for a one bedroom villa, I can't see ever paying so much more for a crowded, tiny WDW room.:confused3 Even the annual pass room discounts can't beat the price we're paying and since we drive, we are just as close to the parks, as if we were staying in a Disney resort. We like to go offsite some, but if we didn't, since Wyndham Bonnet Creek is physically inside the Disney gates, we could stay all week and never pass back under those entrance arches if we didn't want to, so could stay in the so called Disney bubble.

For our Oct/Nov trip we actually did a split stay at Westgate Town Center and Universal. Even though we were in a Deluxe resort at Universal, my husband said he would have rather driven back and forth and just spent the whole trip in the time share, because the RPR room over at Universal seemed so small after being in a one bedroom villa all week. He really missed all the extra space to just spread out. We are doing the same thing this time, spending eight nights at Bonnet Creek and two nights over at Universal. He'd rather spend the whole week in the condo, but no way am I giving up the front of the line perk that onsite guests at Universal get. lol I may not take advantage of the so called perks WDW guests get, but the front of the line pass that Universal offers their onsite guests is too valuable to give up. lol

We rent a car anyway, don't do the DDP, and have APs, so parking is free, and we don't really do EMH, so that deal was just too good to pass up.

I think all of this is key. If we had all of that I wouldn't mind staying off site either. We have actually looked at WBC, but we would have to rent a car (which we don't do when we stay on site) and would have to pay for parking. Plus we would lose out on EMH and I really do like having the option of more hours in the park.

Something else has occurred to me--I won't stay off site if I am going during a peak period, such as the 4th of July or Spring Break. Many times the Magic Kingdom has EMHs every single morning, and if you are off site, there is no way to tour the Magic Kingdom and not be behind all of those people. EMH is golden during busy times of the year!!

I stayed onsite for the first time in 1996 and swore I would never stay offsite again--but this trip we have kids for the first time and when I priced it all out staying onsite just made no sense. My DS has LT food allergies so I need some kind of kitchen space. We wanted to do AoA family suite, but then I thought about the reality of the 4 of us cramming in there...my kids will be 5 & 3 when we go and they go to bed early, so DH and I would be huddling in a dark room for hours. We ended up booking a house in Windsor Hills--6 beds, 4 baths, pool & spa for about 50$ less per night than AoA would have been for 1 room, and now my extended family is coming too because it made it affordable for everyone. We're not going until 8/2014 but I'm pretty excited about the idea of hitting that spa once the kids are asleep. The kids room have gorgeous themes--Princess and Lightning McQueen, complete with racecar beds. I hope it goes well. My kids are pretty attached to their routine of waking & sleeping, so EMH and even fireworks are pretty much off the table for this trip, so I don't think we're going to miss out by not being onsite. I guess we'll see! :-)

This fall we had originally booked an eight night trip at CSR. Then I started looking at some offsite places and now it looks like we'll be doing a split stay.

I was quite surprised at some of the vacation rentals had really nice Disney themes. They might be more expensive than WBC (not by much), but still much cheaper than Disney. We found a really nice house in Formosa Gardens with really, really nice themed bedrooms.

I think there are advantages to both scenarios, quite frankly and it really comes down to what is a priority to you. We want to give offsite a chance this year to see how it compares.

I really want to stay onsite as I think it adds to the experience- but it's hard to ignore the pricing difference. Are the perks really worth it? I have these visions of waiting forever for buses to get to the parks. My husband doesn't really see the benefit for staying onsite if its no easier to get around and you have a small room, etc

Thanks!
This is kind of a classic debate lol
IMO yes the perks are totally worth it and on site is the only way to do Disney. BUT plenty of ppl on here will disagree w me.

Just the magic express and the transportation alone are worth it for me. I really hate driving so on vacation, I am not driving. Love the busses. I don't mind the ride at all. Sometimes you will wait, but I feel like hey, I'm on vacation, in Disney! what's the rush? I am used to public transportation though so they are fine for me. And if you think about it, you don't have to rent a car so that helps justify the cost differential. Also, if you are going at a high crowd time you may wait 20 or more mins for a bus (like thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) but when the crowd levels are low, it's no problem at all. Again everyone is different.

I used to stay at mods and have gone down to the values and was very happy with them. I'm pretty easy to please tho. If the theme is cute, grounds are well kept, and its clean; I'm happy. All we do is sleep in the room tho, I don't spend much time exploring the hotels.

I agree with you, it really does add to the experience :)

It's such an individual preference off site vs on site. For us it's on site.

We stayed off site at a Marriott on Palm pkwy. While it is close to DTD entrance, we decided after that we wanted to be on site. You really need a car staying off site.
We like to take mid day breaks back at our resort to swim, hot tub, relax, then go back to a park in the late afternoon or evening. Staying off site just isn't as easy to do this, and not want the hassle of driving, finding parking, waiting for parking lot tram etc.

It's also a different feel staying on site. And I like the perks of airport transportation, parcel delivery, and not having to worry about anything.

It depends. Are you going with just your family and are your children young? Then stay off site and save money. Are your children older teens where they would want to take a bus to a park while you do something else. Stay on site.
Are you traveling with another family? Then stay onsite.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Are the perks really worth it?

Only you can answer that one. Most people who'll reply here will say, "Yep, the perks are worth it (at least for me)." If you posted the exact same thing to the Orlando Resorts board, most people who'll reply will say, "Nope, not worth it to me." ;)

Personally, I wouldn't stay offsite without checking the Orlando Resorts board on the particular offsite place I was considering. There are plenty of places offsite that are just as pretty and clean as anything you'll find onsite, and places nicer than anything onsite (at least in terms of the usual amenities -- Disney theming can't be beat, IMHO), but then there are those few places you want to avoid. :crazy2:

You need to ask yourself what the benefits and costs are for you. For example, do you mind driving? We like driving and I hate public transportation while on vacation, so the buses are not an onsite advantage for me.

Would you use EMH? I like hitting the parks at rope drop, but some times of the year morning EMH is much earlier than I want to get up! I'm not convinced evening EMH is a big advantage, so that's generally off my radar. Other times, I'd rather be there as early in the morning and late at night as possible, because most of the day is too hot for me; those times of year, being onsite is more appealing than when the weather is more moderate.

Would you use the dining plan? For us, the DDP is a poor fit, so that's not a benefit.

How important is theming to you, and how much of it is there? I love the theming of the Disney resorts as a whole; some of the rooms are brilliantly themed (the Royal rooms at Riverside), while some of them, the room theming is pretty negligible (DVC units tend generic). Some offsite condos are Disney themed (or have Disney themed bedrooms for the kids), some have another theme (Bonnet Creek is vaguely Spanish Mediterranean).

Do you spend most of your time in the parks, or do you like to kick back some days or afternoons at the resorts? Do the kids like pool slides (Disney has plenty, as do many offsite resorts) or lazy rivers (Disney falls pretty short on that front) or onsite activities like canoeing or crafts?

Does bedsize matter? Unit size? The ability to close a door so some people can sleep while others are awake? Would you use a kitchen and dining room if you had it? Lot easier for quick breakfasts, even if you don't do much cooking. We like having one area to talk and two different areas for the TV watchers (since the TV watchers never all want to watch the same thing :rolleyes2 ), meaning we much prefer a 2 BR condo to two hotel rooms.

Going from one onsite room to two is often the point where offsite is by far the better deal, financially, but on vacation, cost is not the only consideration. But it's still pertinent, especially when you can get so much more offsite for so much less. For some people, the magic is so important onsite is still worth it; for others, adding in the price of that second room is where the balance shifts to offsite. Some of them then discover offsite is worth it even when you only need one room. Others value both, for different reasons.

I would not stay offsite without a car. But if you get a car anyhow, and especially since it sounds like your hubby wants to try offsite, might be worth giving it a try.

Staying on-site is great if you are looking for an immersive vacation. We treat our Disney trip as a "land cruise". We park the car at the resort and don't have to drive for a week (what bliss!). The grounds and amenities at the Disney resorts are fantastic and we have stayed at nearly all of them. I will admit, the other attractions of Orlando do not interest us as we are very near Myrtle Beach, and have versions of most of them here. For us, not driving is very big and we love the overall atmosphere at the resorts, it makes staying in a hotel something special. Think about the experience you want to have and then choose your location, you will be happy either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter