• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please don't burn me, but anyone else find Christmas theming at the parks to be a bit blah?

deanimal

DIS Veteran
So, we're here for a two week Disney/Universal trip, second Disney World trip for us, first time at Christmas. We're from the west coast so we've been to Disneyland a few times over Christmas as well. One thing I was really looking forward to was the immersive Christmas experience you get when visiting Disney over the holidays. But one week in I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed with this aspect of the parks.

The resorts are amazing, don't get me wrong, but most of our time is spent at the parks and aside from the decorations on Main Street in Magic Kingdom and near the entrances of other parks it's really not saying "Christmas" to me. There's hardly any decorations in Fantasyland and Jungle Cruise is the only ride with any theming. I was extremely disappointed today when I rode Haunted Mansion. The Nightmare Before Christmas theming in California is amazing, I had expected something similar here.

There is no Christmas themed parade or fireworks unless you fork out an extra $100+ for the party. I suppose it's not a surprise for DW regulars, but for someone who's used to Christmas extras for everyone like in Disneyland it's a huge disappointment.

Even Universal seems to be surpassing Disney in this. We were not expecting much in decorations there, but we agreed that the Christmas theming throughout the Universal parks exceeded Disney's in all areas but the entrances. They even have a Macy's style holiday parade every day.

Is this year's level of decorating the norm or does anyone feel that it's less than it could be? Anyone else suspect that they've held back more for regular ticket holders to optimize the perks for hard ticket partygoers?

I think HS has spruced up their decorations a bit this year.
I will forever and always miss the Osbourne Lights though. There was nothing like them.

I liked the tree n the middle of the lake. Miss Osbourne too, but overall I didn't have a problem with the Disney holiday decorations this year.

Agree with OP that Universal was great, especially Seussland with the Grinch, Harry Potter areas, Christmas parade with giant balloons, and Manheim Steamroller concert. My family liked the Christmas lights on Hogwarts castle better than those on the Hollywood Hotel at HS.

I will forever miss the Osbourne lights, too. A visit to the Osbourne lights was the official start of the holiday season for our family for many years. Also, years ago there was a beautiful lighted arch over the bridge at EPCOT that connected the two worlds. Alas, it is gone, too. I do love Main Street USA at night. The tree, the castle, the street decorations all make the season bright. Disney Springs has become a favorite of ours with the Christmas Tree Trail. The beautiful trees, music and snow make for a fun evening away from the parks.

I thought HS looked great! The tree...the ornaments floating on the lake...the period knick knacks and lighting. I loved each tree at each park. MK theming is great, but true that it ends at the Hub. DLR and WDW are two completely different parks. It's not fair to compare them...they each have their own personalities.

So, we're here for a two week Disney/Universal trip, second Disney World trip for us, first time at Christmas. We're from the west coast so we've been to Disneyland a few times over Christmas as well. One thing I was really looking forward to was the immersive Christmas experience you get when visiting Disney over the holidays. But one week in I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed with this aspect of the parks.

The resorts are amazing, don't get me wrong, but most of our time is spent at the parks and aside from the decorations on Main Street in Magic Kingdom and near the entrances of other parks it's really not saying "Christmas" to me. There's hardly any decorations in Fantasyland and Jungle Cruise is the only ride with any theming. I was extremely disappointed today when I rode Haunted Mansion. The Nightmare Before Christmas theming in California is amazing, I had expected something similar here.

There is no Christmas themed parade or fireworks unless you fork out an extra $100+ for the party. I suppose it's not a surprise for DW regulars, but for someone who's used to Christmas extras for everyone like in Disneyland it's a huge disappointment.

Even Universal seems to be surpassing Disney in this. We were not expecting much in decorations there, but we agreed that the Christmas theming throughout the Universal parks exceeded Disney's in all areas but the entrances. They even have a Macy's style holiday parade every day.

Is this year's level of decorating the norm or does anyone feel that it's less than it could be? Anyone else suspect that they've held back more for regular ticket holders to optimize the perks for hard ticket partygoers?

Haven't been to universal in years, but agree about the Disney parks - compared to SeaWorld , (amazing for the holidays!) Disney did seem blah to us the last few years

I thought the Christmas music I heard in Epcot and other places was a realy nice touch to add to the hoiiday theme. I loved loved loved the Christmas Illuminations version and got to see most of the deluxe resorts at Christmas time so those added up for some magic for me. Additionally I did go the MK party so that did add a ton to how I perceived the holiday season but I think it would still have been extra magical since HS had the "snow" and extra Christmas shows that could be a bit of a stand in if you couldn't do the Christmas party at MK. I agree that the Christmas decorations and overlays are better at DL but also think there are definite strengths for me found at WDW during Christmas and that is why I want to go to both every year but resign myself to alternating. I went to WDW over part of Thanksgiving week with 10 out of 10 crowds and really enjoyed it much more than I did my summer trip that had lower crowds, both because of the weather and the holiday vibe. Everyone has there own favorite things though so I get your sentiment of preferring DL at Christmas time more than WDW at Christmas time.

I really think you need to go to SeaWorld. That is the park that owns Christmas and is the most festive for the season. They have so many wonderful Christmas shows, special Christmas entertainment and are tops for Christmas decorations (whole park is decorated -- not just a few places). We, if we go down for the holidays, always hit this one for Christmas day with our multigenerational group.

I thought HS looked awesome this year! True that there isn't all that much Xmas in the MK once you're past Main St. but HS and WS in Epcot give you a really good feel.

We did catch the parade at Universal last week and I have to say I was very impressed! Made me wish there was a Christmas parade in Disney this early outside of MVMCP.

I miss the lighted arches in Epcot and the garland across Main Street. Most of the times we did the Osborne lights it was so crowded that I couldn't wait to get out of there, though they were impressive. Christmas Illuminations is one of my favorite things in the world.

Overall, I think WDW does a good balance between Christmas decorating and not losing the overall theme of the parks.
I miss the Osbourne lights as others have mentioned. That can't be replaced.
The new shows and lights in HS are a good start.
The lighted arches in EPCOT were are also missed.

While I understand the reasons, I wish WDW would follow DLs lead and do the holiday themes for Haunted Mansion and Its a Small World (they are amazing but popular rides have to be shut down twice for too long to retheme). The Jingle Cruise is a nice start

I actually agree with you here. As a Floridian I have been to Disney World more times than I can count, and in the past year I went to Disneyland 3 times-twice for Halloween. My daughter and I attended the MNSSHP in 2017 and we were underwhelmed...we had been to that party multiple times as they were growing up and they definitely scaled back on the decorations. It was pretty meh for us and we won't be going back. As far as Disneyland for a holiday though-put me on a plane!!!!! I was amazed. The theming, decorations..it was all included in your day ticket, and beat anything Disney World offered for MNSSHP in my opinion.
Now granted, I have not been to Disneyland for Christmas, but I have seen the pictures and have friends that have went and yes, it does seem like Disney World is lacking there as well. It's not bad, it's fine....but I kind of expect better than fine from Disney. I will say I do enjoy Hollywood Studios at Christmas and I also miss the Osborne lights.

Personally, from a whole park perspective, I think Epcot has the most Christmas theming as all the countries have some decorations up and all the storytellers. Also, I miss the lighted arch connecting future world to world showcase. The Osborne lights are missed. Also, they used to have a large wreath on the contemporary that is no more. I will say we have been going over the holidays since the early 2000s and we have noticed less decorations in some places, but without the vibe is still great with the light Christmas music in all the parks. Personally, I still enjoy the holiday vibe with the music and decorations.

I’m heading there to see the Xmas decorations for the first time in a few weeks and I can’t wait. All the You Tube footage I’ve seen of Xmas decorations has me excited.

But, in saying that, I agree with the sentiment that WDW seem to be doing all they can these days to hold things back for extra paid experiences.
As my last visit was 5 years ago, the difference in upsells between visits has been blindingly obvious.

As far as Xmas goes, I am actually more excited about Universal. I like the look of the Macy’s parade more than the Disney Xmas one and it’s part of general admission. Plus, I’m impressed that all the Universal stores in HP land and in the Hollywood Bollevard and New York areas are decorated slightly differently to match the theming of the store and area. Little touches like this always win me over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter