Please don't burn me, but anyone else find Christmas theming at the parks to be a bit blah?

Also, years ago there was a beautiful lighted arch over the bridge at EPCOT that connected the two worlds. Alas, it is gone, too.

Ditto. My wife and I first saw this back in 2005 and again in 2007, IIRC. It was just plain awesome.

Just for those who don't know: it was called Lights of Winter and looked amazing! Here's an article I pulled this picture from if anyone wants to get nostalgic: https://www.dizavenue.com/2015/12/remembering-epcots-lights-of-winter.html

4.jpg

As somebody who doesn't go to Disney multiple times a year or even every year, I personally am happy that the holidays don't bleed over everywhere. I love Christmas and am excited to see the resorts and Main Street but I also want my son to see "Disney Disney" We took him to DW during Halloween {we just happened to be living in LA last Fall} and it was so overwhelmingly Halloween that we were all bummed. I realize I'm the minority. :)

Speaking of Xmas decorations.... every visit we always get ornament personalized. The first time we did this was in 2013. 16.99 for the glass ornament. We just came back, easily $27.99 for the same ornament. We didn't get one on this visit.

I really think you need to go to SeaWorld. That is the park that owns Christmas and is the most festive for the season. They have so many wonderful Christmas shows, special Christmas entertainment and are tops for Christmas decorations (whole park is decorated -- not just a few places). We, if we go down for the holidays, always hit this one for Christmas day with our multigenerational group.

This ! Plus, who can resist Rudolph and Friends !?

I have been to Disney many times but never at Christmas until 2 years ago. I have to agree that I was disappointed there weren't more decorations. Once you get off of the "main streets" in any of the parks there aren't many/any decorations.

The resorts are awesome especially the deluxe resorts. And I agree if you don't fork over big bucks for the Christmas party you really don't get much of a Christmas feel through the parks.

So, we're here for a two week Disney/Universal trip, second Disney World trip for us, first time at Christmas. We're from the west coast so we've been to Disneyland a few times over Christmas as well. One thing I was really looking forward to was the immersive Christmas experience you get when visiting Disney over the holidays. But one week in I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed with this aspect of the parks.

The resorts are amazing, don't get me wrong, but most of our time is spent at the parks and aside from the decorations on Main Street in Magic Kingdom and near the entrances of other parks it's really not saying "Christmas" to me. There's hardly any decorations in Fantasyland and Jungle Cruise is the only ride with any theming. I was extremely disappointed today when I rode Haunted Mansion. The Nightmare Before Christmas theming in California is amazing, I had expected something similar here.

There is no Christmas themed parade or fireworks unless you fork out an extra $100+ for the party. I suppose it's not a surprise for DW regulars, but for someone who's used to Christmas extras for everyone like in Disneyland it's a huge disappointment.

Even Universal seems to be surpassing Disney in this. We were not expecting much in decorations there, but we agreed that the Christmas theming throughout the Universal parks exceeded Disney's in all areas but the entrances. They even have a Macy's style holiday parade every day.

Is this year's level of decorating the norm or does anyone feel that it's less than it could be? Anyone else suspect that they've held back more for regular ticket holders to optimize the perks for hard ticket partygoers?

This changed several years ago, not sure what year. We were there Dec. '10 (nearly froze!!) and the decorations were extensive in the parks. Lots of natural flower displays, hanging baskets all over the place and much more, music loud, and 'everywhere'.
Lots of stuff was covered at times because of the hard freezing. The last time we went, we noticed a 'huge' cutback. But, what else is new, they've cut way back on everything to offer less, unless you want a hard ticket party for extra, or dessert party, and even that is not so great. This last is jmo.

Yes, the resorts are still nice, though flower arrangements are less.

I know it’s blasphemy around these parts but I’m so happy WDW does not do a NBC overlay on HM as I’m one of about 4 people on earth who cannot stand that movie. I did have the opportunity to see the overlay in DL - which actually bummed me out because it was my one and only trip to DL and I wanted to see HM in its original form.

I agree that MK could use a few more Christmas decorations beyond Main Street - I love the Jingle Cruise and Gaston’s Tavern as @rteetz previously mentioned. I don’t know why there can’t be a bit more themed Christmas decorations at MK. :confused3

I do miss the Osborne Lights but I also think DHS looks amazing around Echo Lake and Sunset.

The best part for us is walking around in shorts listening to Bing Crosby’s White Christmas - then heading back home for a real white Christmas.

Last edited:
I know it’s blasphemy around these parts but I’m so happy WDW does not do a NBC overlay on HM as I’m one of about 4 people on earth who cannot stand that movie. I did have the opportunity to see the overlay in DL - which actually bummed me out because it was my one and only trip to DL and I wanted to see HM in its original form.
You are not alone...I do not get the obsession with NBC and am so glad it's not there.

Yep, Disney is pretty boring once you get past the front and Universal has decorations throughout the parks. I love the wizarding world decor! It makes it even more magical. :)

I was extremely disappointed today when I rode Haunted Mansion. The Nightmare Before Christmas theming in California is amazing, I had expected something similar here.

Why did you expect it at Wdw?

but for someone who's used to Christmas extras for everyone like in Disneyland it's a huge disappointment.

Hey, I’m a Disneyland-first person and I haven’t been disappointed in that. But then I research extensively and know what’s at land and what’s at world. And what’s at both like Jingle Cruise (which is fun).

We were there Dec. '10 (nearly froze!!)

Same! I think I did freeze, though.

Stop giving Wdw ideas to do the small world atrocity at MK. I love Disneyland at Xmas but can’t go on my favorite ride because I don’t want to get small world and jingle bells songs mixed up! Oh I despise that overlay.

I used to hate NBC the movie, but then I went on HM at DL a couple times through the holidays, and saw how much friendlier it felt for my then little son, and I love it that way now.

I miss the lighted arches in Epcot and the garland across Main Street. Most of the times we did the Osborne lights it was so crowded that I couldn't wait to get out of there, though they were impressive. Christmas Illuminations is one of my favorite things in the world.

Oh my goodness, I miss that arch too! It was stunningly beautiful. I know why the garlands on Main Street are no longer there, but for me, it was a pretty reminder of Christmas's long ago when I was a child. For me DIsney is a lot more about nostalgia than attractions alone, so I miss the garlands.

Personally, from a whole park perspective, I think Epcot has the most Christmas theming as all the countries have some decorations up and all the storytellers. Also, I miss the lighted arch connecting future world to world showcase. The Osborne lights are missed. Also, they used to have a large wreath on the contemporary that is no more. I will say we have been going over the holidays since the early 2000s and we have noticed less decorations in some places, but without the vibe is still great with the light Christmas music in all the parks. Personally, I still enjoy the holiday vibe with the music and decorations.

The first time we stayed at the CR for Christmas that wreath was there, and the lobby was absolutely stunning. I was kind of shocked to see the lobby now, as it is the least decorated, IMO.

I love CHristmas and I tend to visit during the Holidays more than any other time of year, but I do want a blend of decorations. I notice the decorations that have been eliminated, and wish that DISney woudl not remove without replacing, but I honestly do not want every bit of the parks decorated.

Yep, Disney is pretty boring once you get past the front . :)
But there are still little "gems" to be found like "Garlands Around The World" at World Showcase.:)

And also the Jingle Belles at DHS.:)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter