PLEASE check for bed bugs before accepting your room.

Wow, just spend over an hour reading this entire thread. Holy crap! I'm sooo sorry that the OP had to go through such a horrific experience, but thanks for sharing. I had heard bed bugs were on the rise, but did not realize the problem was so nasty. I feel sooo itchy right now!

If I were going to use the closet, I'd be getting some of those hanging space bags and put everything in them and then hand them up...take this from someone who brought bedbugs back for DW a few years back...you can NEVER be too careful.

If I were going to use the closet, I'd be getting some of those hanging space bags and put everything in them and then hand them up...take this from someone who brought bedbugs back for DW a few years back...you can NEVER be too careful.

Dang I wish there was a spray.

If you are taking advantage of disney transportation from the airport, will they put your luggage in your room? i would hate to get to the room after my luggage to find that there is an infestation.

This may be a weird question, but I am traveling soon and I wondered about bedbugs and books. I always read in bed--with the book laying on the bed and then put it on the bedside table. Do you think that is a problem? I am going to follow all the other precautions that posters have recommended. Thanks!

Oldest DS back home from a road trip out west. (Loved BC!!)
DS stayed in very low budget places, so when I told him to leave his stuff on the driveway, he thought I was over doing it.....:rolleyes1 He didn't see any bed bugs but I'm scared there maybe a few hitch hikers.

I put the clothes in garbage bags - straight into a hot wash. (Hope I don't shrink everything :rolleyes:)
What should I do with the suitcase? Actually it's mine & was planning on using this for my trip. Of course there is a sleeping bag that I can't wash. :scared1:
Throw it out? This bed bug problem is really annoying.
Back to :laundy:

Thanks!

Oldest DS back home from a road trip out west. (Loved BC!!)
DS stayed in very low budget places, so when I told him to leave his stuff on the driveway, he thought I was over doing it.....:rolleyes1 He didn't see any bed bugs but I'm scared there maybe a few hitch hikers.

I put the clothes in garbage bags - straight into a hot wash. (Hope I don't shrink everything :rolleyes:)
What should I do with the suitcase? Actually it's mine & was planning on using this for my trip. Of course there is a sleeping bag that I can't wash. :scared1:
Throw it out? This bed bug problem is really annoying.
Back to :laundy:

Thanks!

Don't be confused about the type of hotel. We brought ours back from a DW resort (definitely not low budget). I sometimes think the higher places have more of a problem with them and the more touristy the area the more chances.

Did you dry your clothes before putting them in a plastic bag? If not, you may get a case of mold/mildew instead of dead bugs.

Sleeping bag---good reason to never use your own sleeping bag or pillow in a hotel. Can you put it in a hot dryer? It's the heat that kills the bugs, not the washing.

Suitcase--about all you can do is vacuum it really well if you are afraid. Let it sit outside in the sun and examine it in the cracks for any signs.

This may be a weird question, but I am traveling soon and I wondered about bedbugs and books. I always read in bed--with the book laying on the bed and then put it on the bedside table. Do you think that is a problem? I am going to follow all the other precautions that posters have recommended. Thanks!

Any thoughts? Thank you! :)

Any thoughts? Thank you! :)

IMHO...can you put it in a ziplock baggy? They like to hide in cracks of dark places so i guess they could go inside the book binding...not really sure. Better to error on side of caution. Not sure that they would actually crawl across a table top. They tend to stick to cracks in places to move around--baseboards, headboards, mattress seems--so I'm not sure they would be walking around out in the open like that.

Thank you. Maybe that is what I will do. I was also thinking of taking magazines instead and just throwing them away at the hotel. The whole bedbug thing has me a little freaked out. I want to be super cautious. Thanks again for all of the great suggestions on this thread!

I've been reading this thread over the past 2 days and although thankful for the information I am soooo freaked out:scared1: and very itchy and my next WDW trip is still over a year away. This may be a crazy question but, I always bring a stuffed animal back, should I attempt to wash the plushie to make sure no eggs have traveled back home with me?

Does the cold kill them too? We are going for a few days in December and I was wondering if I could leave my luggage outside for the night (or a few nights) after we get home if the freezing temps would kill them.:confused3 Just in case.

For folks who check the mattress in their room, how do you do it?

I always peel back the fitted sheet on the corner I sleep on, revealing about 12" of mattress. I've never seen anything. (Knock wood). Now I feel like I should be stripping the bed and lifting the mattress.

I always peel back the fitted sheet on the corner I sleep on, revealing about 12" of mattress. I've never seen anything. (Knock wood). Now I feel like I should be stripping the bed and lifting the mattress.

Some where in this thread someone posted the "how". Not sure where or how far back. I know that you should look on the mattress, box spring, head board, and foot board. I bought a little lint roller (the kind with sticky paper) in the travel section at walmart. I plan on rolling that between the edge of the mattress and box spring, over the edge of the mattress, and along the carpet near the foot board and head board.

I would like to know that too. I did see on a thread not sure if it was this one where it was black around the end of the mattress which helped but what are the other things to do while checking. I also heard someone said to bring a maxi pad and use the sticky side to press on the mattress and if it comes up with blood looking flakes then there are bed bugs. I leave soon and want to make sure we do all we can to make sure this is not a problem we come home with or are plagued by it while we are there.

Does the cold kill them too? We are going for a few days in December and I was wondering if I could leave my luggage outside for the night (or a few nights) after we get home if the freezing temps would kill them.:confused3 Just in case.

Someone posted that it did. I plan on sticking my shoes in a bag and placing them in a deep freeze when I get home. Overkill - most definitely.

I've been reading this thread over the past 2 days and although thankful for the information I am soooo freaked out:scared1: and very itchy and my next WDW trip is still over a year away. This may be a crazy question but, I always bring a stuffed animal back, should I attempt to wash the plushie to make sure no eggs have traveled back home with me?

I think I would stick it in a bag and stick in the freezer for a few days. You probably won't have a problem if there are no signs in the room of bed bugs but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

I would like to know that too. I did see on a thread not sure if it was this one where it was black around the end of the mattress which helped but what are the other things to do while checking. I also heard someone said to bring a maxi pad and use the sticky side to press on the mattress and if it comes up with blood looking flakes then there are bed bugs. I leave soon and want to make sure we do all we can to make sure this is not a problem we come home with or are plagued by it while we are there.

See my post just above yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter