PLEASE check for bed bugs before accepting your room.

Can we bring back DDT just for a little bit?
Maybe because of this:

Chronic toxicity
[edit]Diabetes

Organochlorine compounds, generally, and DDT and DDE, specifically, have been linked to diabetes. A number of studies from the US, Canada, and Sweden have found that the prevalence of the disease in a population increases with serum DDT or DDE levels.[45][46][47][48][49][50]

[edit]Developmental and reproductive toxicity
DDT and DDE, like other organochlorines, have been shown to have xenoestrogenic activity, meaning they are chemically similar enough to estrogens to trigger hormonal responses in animals. This endocrine disrupting activity has been observed in mice and rat toxicological studies, and available epidemiological evidence indicates that these effects may be occurring in humans as a result of DDT exposure. These effects may cause developmental and reproductive toxicity:

A review article in The Lancet states, "research has shown that exposure to DDT at amounts that would be needed in malaria control might cause preterm birth and early weaning ... toxicological evidence shows endocrine-disrupting properties; human data also indicate possible disruption in semen quality, menstruation, gestational length, and duration of lactation."[21]
Human epidemiological studies suggest that exposure is a risk factor for premature birth and low birth weight, and may harm a mother's ability to breast feed.[51] Some 21st century researchers argue that these effects may increase infant deaths, offsetting any anti-malarial benefits.
[52]
A 2008 study, however, failed to confirm the association between exposure and difficulty breastfeeding.[53]

Several recent studies demonstrate a link between in utero exposure to DDT or DDE and developmental neurotoxicity in humans. For example, a 2006 University of California, Berkeley study suggests that children exposed while in the womb have a greater chance of development problems,[54] and other studies have found that even low levels of DDT or DDE in umbilical cord serum at birth are associated with decreased attention at infancy[55] and decreased cognitive skills at 4 years of age.[56] Similarly, Mexican researchers have linked first trimester DDE exposure to retarded psychomotor development.[57]
Other studies document decreases in semen quality among men with high exposures (generally from IRS).[58][59][60]
Studies generally find that high blood DDT or DDE levels do not increase time to pregnancy (TTP.)[61] There is some evidence that the daughters of highly exposed women may have more difficulty getting pregnant (i.e. increased TTP).[62]
DDT is associated with early pregnancy loss, a type of miscarriage. A prospective cohort study of Chinese textile workers found "a positive, monotonic, exposure-response association between preconception serum total DDT and the risk of subsequent early pregnancy losses."[63] The median serum DDE level of study group was lower than that typically observed in women living in homes sprayed with DDT.[64]
A Japanese study of congenital hypothyroidism concluded that in utero DDT exposure may affect thyroid hormone levels and "play an important role in the incidence and/or causation of cretinism."[65] Other studies have also found the DDT or DDE interfere with proper thyroid function.[66][67]
[edit]Other
Occupational exposure in agriculture and malaria control has been linked to neurological problems (i.e. Parkinsons)[68] and asthma.[69]

[edit]Carcinogenicity
DDT is suspected to cause cancer. The NTP classifies it as "reasonably anticipated" the EPA classifies DDT, DDE, and DDD as class B2 "probables" and the International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies DDT as a "possible" human carcinogen. These evaluations are based mainly on the results of animal studies.[1][21]

Epidemiological evidence (i.e. studies in human populations) indicates that DDT causes cancers of the liver,[21][32] pancreas[21][32] and breast.[32] There is mixed evidence that it contributes to leukemia,[32] lymphoma[32][70] and testicular cancer.[21][32][71]

Epidemiological studies suggest that DDT/DDE does not cause multiple myeloma,[21] or cancers of the prostate,[21] endometrium,[21][32] rectum,[21][32]lung,[32] bladder,[32] or stomach.[32]

[edit]Breast cancer
The question of whether DDT or DDE are risk factors of breast cancer has been repeatedly studied. While individual studies conflict, the most recent reviews of all the evidence conclude that pre-puberty exposure increases the risk of subsequent breast cancer.[32][72] Until recently, almost all studies measured DDT or DDE blood levels at the time of breast cancer diagnosis or after. This study design has been criticized, since the levels at diagnosis do not necessarily correspond to levels when her cancer started.[73] Taken as a whole such studies "do not support the hypothesis that exposure to DDT is an important risk factor for breast cancer."[41] The studies of this design have been extensively reviewed.[21][74][75]

In contrast, a study published in 2007 strongly associated early exposure (the p,p'- isomer) and breast cancer later in life. Unlike previous studies, this prospective cohort study collected blood samples from young mothers in the 1960s while DDT was still in use, and their breast cancer status was then monitored over the years. In addition to suggesting that the p,p'- isomer is the more significant risk factor, the study also suggests that the timing of exposure is critical. For the subset of women born more than 14 years before agricultural use, there was no association between DDT and breast cancer. However, for younger women—exposed earlier in life—the third who were exposed most to p,p'-DDT had a fivefold increase in breast cancer incidence over the least exposed third, after correcting for the protective effect of o,p'-DDT.[41][76][77] These results are supported by animal studies.[32]

[edit]

I just saw a report on Fox 5 News in Washington DC about bedbugs that have infested a library in Frederick County, Maryland. The bedbugs were living in the books. The library had to close, then they loaded up the books into large moving vans to bake in the sun. They said that once the temp inside the trucks got above 120 degrees the bedbugs would die! So, check your library books too! this whole tread is making me itch!! ewwwww:eek:

I just wanted to say that I stayed in a hotel over the weekend, and I proudly checked our beds for bed bugs and there was no sight of them LOL!!! :banana:

Thanks to this thread I remembered to do it. I've always known about bed bugs but for some reason I've never actually taken the time to look for them, which is just asking for trouble. I think I've always felt a little invincible when it comes to bed bugs, like it would never happen to me, and we don't stay in the kind of place that would have bed bugs. But they are not just in cheap hotels anymore, they are in freakin libraries!!! Now I'm an inspector LOL!!!

Maybe because of this:

Blah, blah, blah...... does anyone else notice how many times the disclaimer words may be, possible and suggest that are used? In other words there is no definitive link.

I could post just as much refuting that but a google search for DDT benefits will do just as well for anyone interested enough to look it up. The bottom line is that millions of people have died from disease and thousands of people will go to bed paranoid tonight because of the original environmental whacko and one bogus book backed up by highly dubious science.

There will always be people who will defend the ban of DDT but they are basing their claims on things that may or may not happen while there are millions of genuine dead people to back up the claims of the pro-DDT crowd.

BTW, here is a pdf file made for the pest control industry on identifying and controlling bed bug infestations:

http://www.ipmctoc.umn.edu/Control_of_bedbugs_in_residences_US_Commercial.pdf

Finally, just a little disclaimer. People don't die from bed bug bites and bed bugs, while annoying, don't spread any diseases. When I mention millions of dead bodies due to the DDT ban that is mostly from malaria, which is spread by another insect that used to be controlled via DDT, the mosquito.

I have been checking for bed bugs for the past five years because a friend of mine had a severe and costly infestation that took months to treat. She mentioned that freezing works but it must be below freezing for 14 days. So now when I travel I check the beds and drawers. When we return, all luggage and laundry stays in the garage until I can wash and dry it. I nest the luggage and put it in my deep freezer for two weeks. If I can't fit it all, it goes in stages. My husband thought I was nuts when I started checking the beds. You should have seen his face when he went into the freezer to get a pizza and found his luggage:eek: All of my friends thought I was crazy as well, because I am such a germaphobe, but with all of the news coverage, maybe I'm crazy like a fox. Here in Chicago we had a 2 day bed bug summit. It was more like a bunch of vendors selling their wares. In Illinois, our Governor has put together a task force, but doesn't have the budget to fund it????:confused3 This epidemic is getting so much attention, The View, Dr. Oz, CNN etc. People are reporting infestations at Niketown, Movie theaters, dorms, libraries, etc. YUCK.

This epidemic is getting so much attention, The View, Dr. Oz, CNN etc. People are reporting infestations at Niketown, Movie theaters, dorms, libraries, etc. YUCK.
Same people probably don't even wash their hands after using the bathroom or sneeze into the open or into their hands. Yech.
Scary? Scabies. Can't see it!

I'm so glad I read this thread. I had heard of an increase in bed bugs but had no idea they were so hard to get rid of and the real risk was bringing them home with you.

Just had a thought about the heat killing them. My husband and I own a pallet company, and we have a heat treatment chamber that we treat pallets in that are being shipped overseas to be sure they are free from insects. It's very common for pallet companies to have these. We normally treat at 140 degrees. I think I will heat-treat my luggage upon return from my next trip. And to the poster considering throwing out the bed and furniture and such, maybe you could find someone like me in your area who could heat-treat it for you.

I'm so glad I read this thread. I had heard of an increase in bed bugs but had no idea they were so hard to get rid of and the real risk was bringing them home with you.

Just had a thought about the heat killing them. My husband and I own a pallet company, and we have a heat treatment chamber that we treat pallets in that are being shipped overseas to be sure they are free from insects. It's very common for pallet companies to have these. We normally treat at 140 degrees. I think I will heat-treat my luggage upon return from my next trip. And to the poster considering throwing out the bed and furniture and such, maybe you could find someone like me in your area who could heat-treat it for you.

You lucky girl....;)

How would one find a pallet company? Are pallets those little wooden base things that the wood and stuff are on at Home Depot?

Sorry, I can not read through this entire thread but I have a few questions about hopefully preventing bringing home bedbugs from our upcoming trips (one in two weeks to a local resort and one in November to Pop Century). I hope you do not mind.

I plan to check over mattresses and bedding and will use a flashlight to look in drawers under and around beds and headboards.... I also plan to put luggage in tub until room is inspected. I plan to hang most of our clothing and am thinking about bringing pillow and mattress covers to place over our luggage. (QUESTION: We already have a dust mite allergy person in our house so we have those types of pillow and mattress covers---will this sort suffice or do I need to get covers specifically for bedbug prevention? If so, I guess I will need buy mattress covers for our home beds as well? I plan to also hang our shoes and to hang most of our toiletries from hanging shoe bags at the resorts. I will also keep luggage in garage until all is inspected and laundry is washed in hot water and dried a good long while/dried appropriately.

What else should I do? Is there a safe spray or a pesticide that we can take to spray upon check in?

I truly feel great empathy for those of you who have had to undergo the duress of a bed bug invasion and I want to do my part to help prevent speading them, too.

TIA!

Sorry, I can not read through this entire thread but I have a few questions about hopefully preventing bringing home bedbugs from our upcoming trips (one in two weeks to a local resort and one in November to Pop Century). I hope you do not mind.

I plan to check over mattresses and bedding and will use a flashlight to look in drawers under and around beds and headboards.... I also plan to put luggage in tub until room is inspected. I plan to hang most of our clothing and am thinking about bringing pillow and mattress covers to place over our luggage. (QUESTION: We already have a dust mite allergy person in our house so we have those types of pillow and mattress covers---will this sort suffice or do I need to get covers specifically for bedbug prevention? If so, I guess I will need buy mattress covers for our home beds as well? I plan to also hang our shoes and to hang most of our toiletries from hanging shoe bags at the resorts. I will also keep luggage in garage until all is inspected and laundry is washed in hot water and dried a good long while/dried appropriately.

What else should I do? Is there a safe spray or a pesticide that we can take to spray upon check in?

I truly feel great empathy for those of you who have had to undergo the duress of a bed bug invasion and I want to do my part to help prevent speading them, too.

TIA!

All sounds good but I wonder what the need for the mattress covers over your luggage is? The bed bugs can just get on the mattress covers and hitch a ride that way. They can attach to anything, not just luggage. If you want to keep them off the luggage a cheaper and better idea would be to wrap the luggage in large sealed garbage bags.

SO I found this thread after my SIL (in TX) has been telling me about the bed bug problem down there and the efforts she's been making to prevent them, and I wanted a heads up on DIsney World. We won't be travelling until Feb. 2011, but I want to be prepared...and good gravy, I did a couple days of reading on the bed bug topic to educate myself, and I could already use therapy. :faint: I kid you not, it's bad.

Anyway, I feel pretty prepared as far as what we'll do upon arrival and during the vacation. But the one thing that I wish we could do when we get home but can't is utilize the garage. We don't have one! AND we'll be arriving home in the dead of a northwest winter. So leaving stuff outside and/or changing our clothes before coming in will not work out well. I was even considering changing clothes in the airport bathroom before we get in the car to drive home. What are others doing in this situation?

All sounds good but I wonder what the need for the mattress covers over your luggage is? The bed bugs can just get on the mattress covers and hitch a ride that way. They can attach to anything, not just luggage. If you want to keep them off the luggage a cheaper and better idea would be to wrap the luggage in large sealed garbage bags.

Ahhh yes---will use garbage bags that I'll seal instead---never thought of that! Duh, me!! I already put each outfit in a ziplock bag in luggage, too, but then plan to hang as much as we possbily can---hmmm, maybe better to just keep them in the ziplock bags and also enclosing suitcases daily w/ garbage bags is a better idea? Also plan to keep "dirties" in a hamper, then sealed bag as well.

Also---do you know if the dust mite mattress coverings we already use at home suffice for deterring those narsty bed bugs?
Thanks so much for your reply.

(QUESTION: We already have a dust mite allergy person in our house so we have those types of pillow and mattress covers---will this sort suffice or do I need to get covers specifically for bedbug prevention?

dust mite are a bunch smaller than bedbug - you can actually see bedbug - you can't see dust mites

so think you are fine.

yes there is a spray - but no guarantees - rest easy you can find it at Walgreens and bed, bath & beyond

I also plan to put luggage in tub until room is inspected

Why would you do this? The little beggars can hide in shower curtains and nooks and crannies.

We left our luggage out on the balcony until we inspected the entire room. We took about 30 minutes to go over the beds, headboards, vanity area, behind pictures (a favorite of bedbugs) etc.

I felt as satisfied as one possibly could that the room was safe and allowed my DH to bring the luggage in (however, it was ALWAYS on the luggage racks, never on the carpet, bed, or in the drawers, and it was ALWAYS zippered shut unless we needed to remove something). DH was not at all thrilled at my whole inspection routine, which had to be repeated when we received an upgrade.

We did hang our clothes but made sure they weren't touching the walls.

The bottom line is... you can do everything possible and if you just get unlucky, they may still find you. Don't blame yourself if this happens. It's a vacation for goodness sakes and you can only do so much.

Also remember that for all the hysteria, it's really not as huge a problem as some are making it out to be. Disney (as well as other hotel properties) are fully aware of the potential for this problem and I'm sure they don't want the varmints any more than we do.

You need to be guarded, and do whatever is in your power, but if it's causing your entire holiday to be stressful it's not worth it.

The fact is, you could have a completely bedbug free room and then someone from housekeeping could bring the bedbugs or eggs in from another room on a cart, the towels, or even the bottom of their shoes.

My point being, you could walk in there with your family looking like Ghostbusters and scour every inch of the room and still not be 100% secure, so just be reasonable and enjoy your holiday :)

Why would you do this? The little beggars can hide in shower curtains and nooks and crannies.

We left our luggage out on the balcony until we inspected the entire room. We took about 30 minutes to go over the beds, headboards, vanity area, behind pictures (a favorite of bedbugs) etc.

I felt as satisfied as one possibly could that the room was safe and allowed my DH to bring the luggage in (however, it was ALWAYS on the luggage racks, never on the carpet, bed, or in the drawers, and it was ALWAYS zippered shut unless we needed to remove something). DH was not at all thrilled at my whole inspection routine, which had to be repeated when we received an upgrade.

The bottom line is... you can do everything possible and if you just get unlucky, they may still find you. Don't blame yourself if this happens. It's a vacation for goodness sakes and you can only do so much.

Also remember that for all the hysteria, it's really not as huge a problem as some are making it out to be. Disney (as well as other hotel properties) are fully aware of the potential for this problem and I'm sure they don't want the varmints any more than we do.

You need to be guarded, and do whatever is in your power, but if it's causing your entire holiday to be stressful it's not worth it.

The fact is, you could have a completely bedbug free room and then someone from housekeeping could bring the bedbugs or eggs in from another room on a cart, the towels, or even the bottom of their shoes.

My point being, you could walk in there with your family looking like Ghostbusters and scour every inch of the room and still not be 100% secure, so just be reasonable and enjoy your holiday :)

Right Craig--gotcha and good points----i am just wanting to use wise precautions---had heard that putting luggage in tub until room is inspected is a good idea. Putting stuff in ziplock bags and garbage bags, hanging things up; keeping things off of the floors sure won't stress out our vacation and if we happen to get them in spite of our efforts, well that would be terrible but at least we'd know we tried!

ps) Had heard they have a harder time crawling on slippery places which was why tub had been a suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!