Planning for Paris and DLP, April/May or November 2022 - Come on in and lets all plan our trips together

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi everyone...

After much talk DH and I decided that for this year we are going to stay put here in the US... there's just to much to really deal with, all the what if's, the this and that, how the vaccine is being handled it's just crazy... for DH and I it looks like its going to be late summer or even into early fall, before we might even have a chance of getting the vaccine...

So yesterday I pulled out all my old research on Paris and Disneyland Paris... and started looking at the pictures... I can not tell you how much we are ready to get back to traveling... We discussed several other options, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Japan -we should have went last year 2020 and had to cancel all our plans... and after much discussion.. Paris the City of Lights, and Disneyland Paris... Won... Why you wonder... Well lots of reason, Food and Wine, History can be found just walking the street. There are so many things on our list that we could not get to, due to some protesting or trains not running and such came into play. Which is just part of it when you travel, so we did prepare, and have plan B and C... Then the one we missed we added back onto the list, and some things that we saw that we wanted to see or visit... Plus it really is just so amazing!

DH and I travel just the 2 of us... and we got so much good info from everyone here on the Dis, I am hoping for more of the same again this time... Please and Thank you... or I should say S'il-vous-plait, and Merci...

We are shooting for Nov. 2022.. for alot of reasons, we would like to see Disneyland decorated for Christmas, and Paris is all her finery for the Holidays...
We enjoy traveling in cooler weather... We haven't picked out any weeks yet...

I think that we would like to spend 12 to 14 days including travel days in that number... and some of the travel would be within our Thanksgiving holiday here in America...

We started making a list of places that we would like to visit, including some spots outside of Paris - Mont St. Michel, and Normandy / Monet's garden at Giverny / Chateau region... Palace at Fontainebleau, - and a couple of others - as of right now they are on the top of the list. I know that I we won't be able to do them all, so I will be researching, and tucking away all the info that I can get... as always suggestions are welcomed...

I will be working on my French, and trying to learn more than just enough to get by...

Just knowing that travel is on the horizon, and planning for it.... is such a breath of fresh air...

So lets all begin...

Last edited:
We are hoping to go in April 2022 for our 20th wedding anniversary. (We were booked for May 2020, but obviously that didn't happen.) We are planning one week split between Paris and DLP, and one week in either Italy or Spain. Our 2020 trip was supposed to be a Mediterranean cruise for the second week, but I'm don't think I'll be comfortable going on a cruise ship in 2022.

We usually go to Disneyland Paris for my birthday (29th November) and it's usually manageable crowds, Christmas decorations are up and the festive atmosphere is well and truly there. I'd recommend that week for sure.

We usually go to Disneyland Paris for my birthday (29th November) and it's usually manageable crowds, Christmas decorations are up and the festive atmosphere is well and truly there. I'd recommend that week for sure.

Thanks so much for this tip. We really loved all the Easter and Spring decorations from our first trip, so we wanted to change it up and Christmas is our favorite time in the Parks...

Is Paris decorated as well for Christmas, lets say from Mid November to the 1st week in December.?

How cold is it pushing into December? I live in Florida, while it would not keep us from going during this time, we would have to find proper clothing, coats, gloves, hats, and whatever else we would need for cold weather... LOL

In November / December temperatures are in the 30s/40s degrees Fahrenheit, 5-10 degrees Celcius.
Also prepare for rain and wind. 40s in Florida are not the same 40s as in Europe.

One more thing to keep in mind, sun will rise around 8am and set around 5pm these weeks.

Thanks so much for this tip. We really loved all the Easter and Spring decorations from our first trip, so we wanted to change it up and Christmas is our favorite time in the Parks...

Is Paris decorated as well for Christmas, lets say from Mid November to the 1st week in December.?

How cold is it pushing into December? I live in Florida, while it would not keep us from going during this time, we would have to find proper clothing, coats, gloves, hats, and whatever else we would need for cold weather... LOL
There will be a fair few decorations up in Paris and the Christmas markets will be up and running.

Agree with Karin, if you're from Florida then you'll find it pretty cold and as Disney is quite flat and open the wind chill is really something.

In November / December temperatures are in the 30s/40s degrees Fahrenheit, 5-10 degrees Celcius.
Also prepare for rain and wind. 40s in Florida are not the same 40s as in Europe.

One more thing to keep in mind, sun will rise around 8am and set around 5pm these weeks.

Brrrrrr!!! that is pretty dang cold... The one thing I did not think about is the day light hours... with it getting dark so early... We loved the longer days when we were there in May ... So that is something to think about for sure...

There will be a fair few decorations up in Paris and the Christmas markets will be up and running.

Agree with Karin, if you're from Florida then you'll find it pretty cold and as Disney is quite flat and open the wind chill is really something.

We have been to Disney Paris, and your right it is quite open... more to think about...

We really would love to experience and shop the Christmas markets.

So for a Florida couple like us, what kinda of warm wear clothing would we need?...

I know this sounds silly to ask... we live most of the year in shorts, tanks and T-shirts, and flip flops. Right now we are getting into the 40 at night and upper 60's during the day so for us jeans, short sleeves, and a hoodie or light weight rain jackets- and that about it...

So really all the warm wear we own is a couple of hoodies, We do have a couple of jackets, not a proper coat in sight... at all... and our Columbia lightweight wind breaker/rain jackets, they are really good for windy and rainy Florida days, and can be dried off easily and are pack-able... We use them on our trip to Paris... It rained for 2 days when we were there in May of 2018, and it was cold, windy and rainy... I did pack a couple of cami, and a couple of long sleeve cotton shirts to use for layering... Which I threw in at the last minute... and Which I used the whole trip. So I would like to be prepared for cold weather... properly prepared... LOL

It's hard for me to determine, as I am not used to FL weather year round ;-)
I think you would at least hats, gloves, scarfs. It can always change, some winters are worse than others, but if you go for 2-3 weeks, you can't get an accurate prediction before you leave.

For coats: I switch my coats 3 times a year. Summer (Jun-Aug), Spring/Autumn (Mar-May/Sep-Oct), Winter (Nov-Feb). I personally wouldn't go to DLP in Winter without my wintercoat.
If you do not have a real wintercoat and don't want to get one for this one trip, I would see how many layers you can wear under your windbreaker.

Also, what you think was cold/windy/rainy in May is not the same in December. The worst time is waiting for the fireworks after dark when it's cold, you stand still, it can be miserable if you are not covered up properly. Especially wind can add a terrible layer of cold.

I would suggest to look up videos of DLP in November/December, whether it's just general park videos or parades. It gives you a chance to see what the other guests are wearing.
If you look up the Royal Sparkling Winter Waltz, or Christmas Parade, these from December 2019 and might help. You will see in the first suggestion that all the princesses are as covered up as their costumes allow, Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Rapunzel all wear (skin)-coloured turtlenecks under their dresses, most wear boots and everyone wears gloves ;-)

That reminds me: Good shoes and warm socks!

Last edited:
Firs of all Monet's garden will not be great in Nov/Dec. It's winter so you might be disappointed if you go. I've been before in summer and it was nice but I'd imagine in winter things will look quite dead.

I would suggest you wear layers. It could be mild (and wet) or crisp (cold) and dry.

Comfortable thick socks are a must, and warm clothing is good for the evening but I would do layers and a light rain coat that can stop the wind and fold up if not needed.

I always take some hand warmers for my pockets in the evening. So if your waiting for the fireworks your hands are toasty. (And toes!!!) It would be nice to watch fireworks with a hot chocolate but the next day would be here with the speed of service around fireworks at the food outlets.

Wind is normally what makes it horrible with it cutting through you so a windproof lightweight coat is a must for me.

Firs of all Monet's garden will not be great in Nov/Dec. It's winter so you might be disappointed if you go. I've been before in summer and it was nice but I'd imagine in winter things will look quite dead.

I would suggest you wear layers. It could be mild (and wet) or crisp (cold) and dry.

Comfortable thick socks are a must, and warm clothing is good for the evening but I would do layers and a light rain coat that can stop the wind and fold up if not needed.

I always take some hand warmers for my pockets in the evening. So if your waiting for the fireworks your hands are toasty. (And toes!!!) It would be nice to watch fireworks with a hot chocolate but the next day would be here with the speed of service around fireworks at the food outlets.

Wind is normally what makes it horrible with it cutting through you so a windproof lightweight coat is a must for me.

Oh that's a really good point about Monet's garden, I would want to see it in bloom... I am going to notate this next to it in my notes, so that I don't forget.

Thanks so much

Oh that's a really good point about Monet's garden, I would want to see it in bloom... I am going to notate this next to it in my notes, so that I don't forget.

Thanks so much
Also if you actually want to see original paintings, the national museum of Wales in Cardiff has more original paintings than the whole of France or anywhere else!!!

The founders of the museum loved his work at the time and bought them and donated them to the country of Wales!!?

OP here,

In talking to DH, I was bring up some of the points that everyone has made, and he was felt that since we are not going till 2022. That the last week or so of April and first weeks of May, we really consider this time of year.... he made some pretty good points, being in France for our Anniversary, the time with longer day light hours, and the weather... Thinking the Chateau Region and Monet's Garden at Giverny would be much nicer during spring for sure, and it will still be cool enough for us to enjoy all the walking around Paris... This really gives me quite a bit to think about... and so we have time to think about it for sure...

In looking back at our trip, we both agree that by the time we got to Disneyland Paris, we were completely exhausted. So much so that we did have to give in and go back to Newport Bay, and take a nap... for a couple of hours one day ...DH said what about if we started at Disneyland, then head into Paris... So flipping the trip around from our last visit... which might be worth a try....

Some friends that travel quite alot, she and I were talking and she said that we should seriously think about having a later afternoon arrival or early evening, and just staying at one of the airport hotels on arrival night, making sure room service or a restaurant on site is available and crashing for the night, sleeping in, and having the car service picking us the next morning and head to Disneyland...

She did make some really good points, for going this route

1) Hotels near the airport will much be much less expensive, we could use CC points to make it a free stay for one night..
2) We would be getting Disney out of the way first thing
3) Ending the trip with a view would be from the Eiffel Tower or a dinner cruise or something else completely fabulous, would be really nice and romantic...
4) Getting ahead of the jet lag...

When they travel this is how they always do it now. Arrival day at the airport hotel, Then as well the day before the fly out, they check out of the hotel and check the bags. Spend most of day sightseeing, go back and then grab their luggage, and get Uber/Taxi to the airport hotel... She said another night you might get for free CC points.
She said what cause them to start going this route, is that they spent to many trips running through airports, and several times they missed their fight. They missed their flight out of CDG, when they got to baggage check in the plane had already shut the door and there was not another flight till the next day, which was the first time that they had to wait until the next day... So they looked at going back to the hotel they were originally at, and the rate was sky high over 400 euro's. Then she looked at the airport hotels, and they found one last minute for right at 200 euros said. The hotel had a shuttle, and room service... which is all they wanted or needed... She said it was amazing to be able to sleep in some what, and not worry about making the flight, as they were right there. Being able to shower, and have the shuttle over to the main terminal and no stress worrying about if they were going to make it or not... She said that by getting some serious sleep before making the flight back, they were not as fussy/miserable on the plane, and the jet lag wasn't as nearly as bad... She said it continues the holiday right up till the time you board the plane... She said that they have been traveling like this since then whenever they are traveling internationally... She said it really doesn't cut into your vacation time, and the reward of sleep, is totally worth it...

Just wondering has anyone else every done this method... Thoughts?..

Last edited:
Also if you actually want to see original paintings, the national museum of Wales in Cardiff has more original paintings than the whole of France or anywhere else!!!

The founders of the museum loved his work at the time and bought them and donated them to the country of Wales!!?

Well now I have to start another files for Wales and what to see there... This is why I love this board, sooo many good tips...

Thanks a bunch!!!

Well now I have to start another files for Wales and what to see there... This is why I love this board, sooo many good tips...

Thanks a bunch!!!
Loving your planning! I use the Eurostar so can't really help with the flights part. Don't forget to visit us in Sussex England. From my house you can see the house where jungle book was written, see 100 acre wood and Pooh's house and see where Mary Poppins was written. All a stone's throw away from each other with proper moated castles! (Bodiam) and in 2022 we are having the bayoex tapestry!

Loving your planning! I use the Eurostar so can't really help with the flights part. Don't forget to visit us in Sussex England. From my house you can see the house where jungle book was written, see 100 acre wood and Pooh's house and see where Mary Poppins was written. All a stone's throw away from each other with proper moated castles! (Bodiam) and in 2022 we are having the bayoex tapestry!

Thanks for all the tips, Mary Poppins is one of our DD and I favorite characters, I read her the story many many times when she was growing up, she loves the movie, and it would be really something to be able to see where it was written, and maybe even bring a little souvenir home from there one day for her... I am watching Escape to the Chateau, and they have a moat just magical, here in America its only the 1st season... Love them and the show...

Op here... and we have spent some time talking about our trip to Paris for next year... We are really leaning toward end of April, beginning of May... Just due to the longer day light hours, and spring with everything blooming... and where we are looking at visiting..

One problem is the strikes... dealing with that is always a 50/50 thing... Even if you plan within the dates... things happen, and additional dates get added on at last minute, like on our first trip... so that is worrisome to think about.

Thinking on Disneyland Paris... we are kinda up in the air about it... should we/ shouldn't we go.... With everything still closed, and no-one really knows if work has been done on any of the new areas... Not sure if it would be worth it to go this trip, and thinking maybe we should wait to go until more of the newer things have opened... Thoughts on this ?

More reasoning for putting Disneyland Paris off is the cost, we could use those funds else where for a private car tour to Normandy and Mont St. Michel or something else...

I am hoping that we can get the vaccine this summer... so that we are all ready for travel as soon as possible...

I have been working on my French off and on...

How is the trip planning going for everyone else?

What was it that you wanted that was new for DLP?
Op here... and we have spent some time talking about our trip to Paris for next year... We are really leaning toward end of April, beginning of May... Just due to the longer day light hours, and spring with everything blooming... and where we are looking at visiting..

One problem is the strikes... dealing with that is always a 50/50 thing... Even if you plan within the dates... things happen, and additional dates get added on at last minute, like on our first trip... so that is worrisome to think about.

Thinking on Disneyland Paris... we are kinda up in the air about it... should we/ shouldn't we go.... With everything still closed, and no-one really knows if work has been done on any of the new areas... Not sure if it would be worth it to go this trip, and thinking maybe we should wait to go until more of the newer things have opened... Thoughts on this ?

More reasoning for putting Disneyland Paris off is the cost, we could use those funds else where for a private car tour to Normandy and Mont St. Michel or something else...

I am hoping that we can get the vaccine this summer... so that we are all ready for travel as soon as possible...

I have been working on my French off and on...

How is the trip planning going for everyone else?

The strikes will always be there, they are part of France/Paris. If you want to avoid strikes the only option is not going to France.
Public transportation strikes can be avoided by using a car service or renting a car. Strikes and protests for social issues, I do not see this disappearing in the coming years, but usually these are announced well in advance and your hotel can probably tell you if you need to avoid a certain area for the day.

The social media sites report construction work is still ongoing. This article on Outside Ears reports on the construction of the castle: https://outsidears.fr/2021/01/de-nouvelles-images-de-la-rehabilitation-du-chateau/

Yes, there was delay at the beginning of the pandemic because no one knew what was going on, but as far as I know they are still working on all the constructions.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter