pick a pearl setting

In many trips, had never really paid attention to the Pick a Pearl but am putting it on our must do list - especially if my daughter does get to come with us (waiting for confirmation of vacation time - she's SO busy at a medical lab at Duke). We both love pearl jewelry and this will make an awesome keepsake! Thanks!

We did this during Spring Break 2010 with our daughter that was 6yo at the time. :goodvibes

She got a lovely pearl, I do not recall what size, I would have to go look in her jewelry box. She picked out a butterfly necklace with the pearl in the center of the butterfly and it is just beautiful.

She wears it on special occasions and likes to take it out and look at it. princess:

I think it is definitely worth it and would do it again.:thumbsup2

Did this tonight and LOVED it! We are at Beach Club and I saw the stand as we were getting back from being at HS all day. I picked the ugliest one I could find :laughing: and voila! I got a 6.9mm blue pearl, which I guess is one of the rarest colors (they told me it was 2nd in rarity to a black pearl). After being shown a variety of mountings, including one for over $400 :rotfl: I picked a very simple one that I'll put on my own silver chain. It was $70 total for the pearl and the mounting, so on the pricey side, but I'll have it for years (they are guaranteed for life) and it'll always remind me of this trip. :lovestruc

VERY neat thing and something I have not done on previous trips. :thumbsup2 I highly recommend it!

Love this thread!! After reading and looking at all the pictures I know where I'll be going first :cheer2:

DWGal210, sounds like you got a great pearl!! I'd love to see a picture :flower3:

My girls always got distracted by the candy making going on outside. This year I can't wait to surprise them by letting them pick their own pearl.

Here are the ones we got from DTD, first one is for me, second one is for DD. DFIL's fiancé is already wearing hers. :)

pearls.jpg

We're here in the world now, going to do this again - just not DTD this time. We have Grandma on this trip too, so we'll get her something too!

I think my stepdaughter will love this. We're planning a trip in January and it will be her first trip. I think I'm going to go broke with all of the special extras we're planning for her- and her brother!

My first time posting a picture so I hope this works.
We did pick a pearl in August.
My DD 10 chose the dolphin setting $27.50 plus tax.
I was very lucky to get a bluish/grey pearl and chose a very plain setting $9.50 plus tax
My DD 9 chose the flower setting $32.50 plus tax.
All of the above prices exclude the cost of the pearls which were $17 including tax.
DSCF0965.jpg

I have to say I have gone from excitement (see my post from the 9/14) to complete disappointment. My DD15's pearl has already came unglued from the setting AND one of my twin pearls on my ring has become unglued also. I am completely disappointed. I spent in excess of $250.00 on 3 pieces of jewelery and the clams and now 2 of them already cannot be worn. We have only been home 11 days. My DD only wore her necklace twice and I wore my ring for a week, taking it off when I showered, etc. following the care instructions they gave us to a T.

Not sure where you are in all of this, but I bought a three circle pearl charm to use on my necklace. Shortly after coming home, the three circles separated from thegold piece. Lucikly I don't loose it. Anyway took it to a jeweler and after fixing it, they told me not to get it wet because it would do something to the glue, and it could become detached again. It has something to do with the glue they use for pearls. Just a thought.

i wear y necklace that i got last sept 24/7 except for showering and it is still holding strong smae w/ my ring and my kids 2 necklaces..

sorry to hear about them comng off,, sure a jewler can reglue

I'll post pictures when I get some time but had to tell you all that I did this again during our recent trip (just got home last night) and wowza!!!! I picked one oyster and DH picked another.....his oyster had another of those gorgeous silver blue pearls in it (my favorite!) and mine had a large (8MM) yellow pearl! I've never seen a really yellow pearl like this one! I had the two pearls set together in one setting and it is very unique. I also had another pearl from a previous trip set and I simply love how that one came out as well. Total cost for 2 oysters and the two settings was just over $100 so a total bargain in my book!

They really need to get some new settings for the necklaces. I think I have almost all of them! :lmao::rotfl:

I just love Pick a Pearl at Epcot and after trying other locations will never do it anywhere else!

I just love Pick a Pearl at Epcot and after trying other locations will never do it anywhere else!
Don't count out SeaWorld if you're ever there. They have divers go down and get a bunch of oysters for you to choose from. DH picked an awesome blue/black pearl there (the one I chose was just the regular color).

Can you tell us what it was that makes Epcots stand out as a better location for you.

I did it at DTD at DL and this year at Epcot. It was much more personal at the Japan pavilion at Epcot. They make a big deal about it and have you count down from three in Japanese with them before they open the oyster.

DD11 did this at Epcot for the first time ever last week...she really enjoyed it, but said the CM was a little too loud! The whole ceremony of it was cool, and DD impressed the lovely CM with her knowledge of Japanese numbers (she takes karate) - the CM pretended to wipe away a tear of joy (she was cute).

DD picked a hairy oyster and it revealed a 7 mm pinkish-gold pearl (just looks regular to me, though!) - she then chose a very simple pendant setting (I thought she'd like the setting with her initial, but she preferred a simpler setting) and was happy with the whole process and outcome. It was a very enjoyable experience.

:sunny:

We did this last Monday (11/15), DS and DD picked an oyster for Grandma, and I picked one for myself.

The one DS and DD picked revealed a 8mm silvery-blue pearl. The CM's made a BIG deal over this. :yay:

pearl.jpg

I got a plain 7.5mm cream pearl, which I choose not to set. I think I was a little jealous of Grandma's pearl. :laughing:

Well for some reason I read thru every page of this thread, even though we have done this for years!!!

It did a good job of reminding me though that one of my pearl rings has a slightly loose pearl - it can 'spin' on it's post so I want to at least take it back & have it checked. Also reminded me that I don't know where the 'spear' ring is!!! Have to hunt for that - it's the simple 'swoosh' design that 'swoops' out from the pearl on each end that a few people showed back several pages.

We have actually done this 6 or 7 times - one time in 1989 out on Hwy 192 - we brought that pearl home. At least one time at Islands of Adventure (back right corner of the park area??) and I believe the rest at Japan. I have the two rings, DD has a necklace & we have 3 loose pearls (couldn't afford any settings the first several trips). I checked the ones in the baggies tonight - have a huge cream one, a mid-size cream one & a tiny, tiny black/silver one. Considering getting a carriage cage for the black one. Both mounted rings are cream or slightly golden tint.

But you have my 'fever' going again. We may not get to Disney next summer, but it is always on our to-do list when we go. I have also passed up the PF several times at Flamingo, even this last summer when they were right at the exit to my bank of elevators, LOL. A bit leary of them with the bad DTD raps received, but before I head to LV again, I will price out the setting(s) I want online at their website so I am prepared & know what to request.

And as a note, the entire Japanese department store is a wonderful 'gift' place. All thru school my DDs friends have loved the unique candies you can bring back from Japan (and a few from Great Britain too!). I have also brought back the small cat figurines for luck, health, wealth, etc., for my friends for small 'rememberances'.

i got the Cinderella cage for my dear Friend when we went in October...she loved picking her pearl and putting it in the carriage.

I am taking DD and Ddil (her first trip) in a week...I just ordered 2 carriages for them. I think it's a lovely momento of a Disney trip.

Okay, I made it through about twenty pages and had to give up :lmao:

We would love to do this with our kids in a couple weeks. I'm trying to figure out if they actually sell the carriage cages at the Japan location, or if I need to buy them from ebay like someone mentioned.

Is there any sort of master list or website that actually shows what settings/options they have available at the japan location?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter