pick a pearl setting

landryfam

Mouseketeer
I am thinking of bringing my own setting for when I pick my pearl. Will they use my setting (I didn't know if you must purchase one from them for it to be set).

I have been looking at settings. How exactly do they do the setting? Is it glued, do they drill, etc.

I have a ring in which the pearl was glued. I got it ten years ago and it's still in there tight! I also have two pendants onto which the pearls were glued and I have a "cage" pendant in which the pearl floats freely. I am not sure what they do with earrings, but I don't ever remember seeing them drill.
Hope this helps...pick a good one :)

I had forgotten all about this. I bet my girls would love it. Is this in Japan? How much was the pearl alone?

I know my ring was glued, but I've heard other say that they do drill and, if you don't choose one of their settings, they will still drill the pearl for you so that you can have it set after your vacation. Don't know if they would go ahead and use your setting, though. I had to leave my pearl and come back to pick it up after it had been set. They may not be able to use your setting since you would have to leave it there...may not be allowed because of liability reasons, but I really don't know for sure.

There is a place in Japan and also (I think) DTD. It's fourteen dollars and change to pick an oyster, which they shuck, and additional $ for one of the setting that they have. I chose a silver ring for about $25.

Thanks for your replies...do you know if they have ring settings that would fit small children?

I got my first one in Typhoon Lagoon (back in '97). I also saw a booth in the Caribbean Beach Resort (which was about 2001) and, of course, Japan. The one in Japan is the best. They make a big deal about it, bang drums, etc. and the kids love it. I am taking my daughter on our next visit. Even when I'm not pickin', I love to watch!! :)

Over the last two years people have said to pick the hairest ones and they are the bigger ones. The best setting I have seen is the one my DH bought for my birthday last dec. on the disney cruise $30 and I got a can with a oyster with a pearl in it along with a mickey head holder. the head was like bars and the ears were solid. They also had miney with a bow on the head. I went when we were in wdw 3 times to the store to pick one and get it set but just never could bring myself to do it. Then on my birthday on the ship a few days later he gave it to me. So sweet. Way nicer then the ones at wdw.

I did this for the first time last year in Japan. I followed some advice I got here and picked the smallest ugliest hariest oyster in the tank. I don't know if there is anything to it but when it was opened I had 14mm twin pearls (2 pearls in one oyster) being I don't have pierced ears I had them set into two necklaces, one was drilled and glued the other is a cage setting, both are still secure and as beautiful as the day I got them. My firend also followed the above advice and got a single 16mm pearl (she didn't have her's set in WDW). I don't have a clue as to why, but it seemed to work for us.
Good Pickin'!
Minnesota

PS: Just where is the store in DTD by the way?

PS: Just where is the store in DTD by the way?

It's not really a store, but rather a booth type of structure. I take a ferry boat thing over from SSR and it drops me off right by the rainforest cafe... it's right near there. That's where i got mine done last year. not too far from the side of the World of Disney Store where stich spits water at you=)

Hope this helps!!!

I purchased a ring last year at Japan for my 8 year old DD and the setting had 2 small diamonds on each side. After she picked her oyster they drilled and glued it and it is still in awsome shape today. My DD wants a black pearl the next time we go and maybe pink for her earrings.
Hope this helps!!
Bobby

sorry but can someone tell me what exactly the 'Pick a pearl" booth is? sounds like soething I'd love to do. this is the first time i'm hearing of it!

I just learned about it on these boards too. How come they don't have anything on the website about it?
Either way, thanks for all the information and tips! I am really looking forward to picking a pearl on my next trip!

Tip for picking a pearl....

Several years ago, we were in DTD for an all girls trip. I decided to do this and was told by a bystander to pick the ugliest one. I did. My pearl was 9 mm. It's beautiful. The person who shucked it did this whole birth ceremony and told us that this pearl was from a boy oyster. Don't know if this is really true but here's the sentimental part. I had been an infertility patient for a loooong time and had given up. Three months after this trip, I found out I was pregnant with a little boy! I love that ring and will always remember my "special moment"

We went to Mitsukoshi in Japan in Feb. and my DS picked a pearl for me. We got an 7mm white pearl which I had set into a "cage" pendant for a necklace. It is a silver pendant cage with a diamond on it, it is gorgeous!!
I'll try to post some pics later today. But, yes they do drill them, I saw another lady getting one drilled. Also, I saw 2 little girls getting them - not sure what settings they got, but they were for them, so I'll assume they DID have childrens settings!!

My DS had a blast picking the pearl for me, it was my b-day gift from him!!!

** On a side note, it gets very crowded in there as many people just want to watch....... If you are actually going to purchase one, let them know up front, so they don't just "overlook" you........... there were so many people just standing by the tank "looking" it seemed like they weren't asking anyone if they needed help....... we were waiting for someone to help us and no one did, so I had to go track the lady down while she was setting another one and tell her I wanted to purchase one!!!

Tip for picking a pearl....

Several years ago, we were in DTD for an all girls trip. I decided to do this and was told by a bystander to pick the ugliest one. I did. My pearl was 9 mm. It's beautiful. The person who shucked it did this whole birth ceremony and told us that this pearl was from a boy oyster. Don't know if this is really true but here's the sentimental part. I had been an infertility patient for a loooong time and had given up. Three months after this trip, I found out I was pregnant with a little boy! I love that ring and will always remember my "special moment"

what an awesome story!! Thanks for sharing:flower3:

I purchased a ring last year at Japan for my 8 year old DD and the setting had 2 small diamonds on each side. After she picked her oyster they drilled and glued it and it is still in awsome shape today. My DD wants a black pearl the next time we go and maybe pink for her earrings.
Hope this helps!!
Bobby

If you don't mind my asking can you tell me about how much the setting cost. I'd love to see pics too!! thanks

I got mine at the stand in front of the BC/SAB and they drilled mine. In Japan it's just to the left a little ways in the store. Ours was my anniversary gift, since I hadn't gotten an engagement ring (we didn't spend much when we married). DH picked the pearl and I picked the setting. I love the opportunity to show it-
DSCF0444.jpg

My family thinks I go to WDW just for the pearls. I got my DD one at a booth @AK one year, but the settings were more expensive there. I have several in cage type settings, a beautiful scarf pin and one year I got "twins" :thumbsup2 and had 14 kt pierced earrings made for about $25 for the setting. They were drilled. I have several other things, too, which I have given as gifts. In the shop in Japan, you pay at any register and they give you a ticket to take to the oyster tank and give to the attendant there. I've never heard to pick the ugliest and hairiest oyster, but you can bet that's what I'll do next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter