Pfizer vaccine authorized for 12-15yo in US

Woo hoo! We will soon have a fully vaccinated household! DH, who seems to have the magic touch when it comes to getting us vaccine appointments, stands ready to whisk DS14 out of school the moment he can get him an appointment this week.

I just saw on CNN that at least in Atlanta, they're doing walk-ins right now for ages 12-15. If you happen to be a parent in Atlanta, might want to check that out. If you're a parent elsewhere, might want to see if your city has started yet and if walk-ins are available.

while the FDA has approved it Wednesday the CDC needs to decide if it will be approved before it can actually be started
That's what I thought too, but at least in Georgia they've already started. CNN interviewed a 14 year old who was just vaccinated, and here's their official site, showing eligibility for 12 and up:
COVID Vaccine | Georgia Department of Public Health

No idea if any other state has started yet.

The article said-
The FDA's seal of approval is not the final regulatory hurdle. An advisory panel of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will review the data soon.

I think states are still waiting for the stamp of approval from the CDC.

I read an article that says as soon at Thursday 12-15 year olds could start getting vaccinated. Have no idea what GA is doing. LOL.

I tried to book an appt for dd for this weekend thinking it would all be a "go" by then, but the sites I have checked are not taking bookings yet. One that I checked is a local clinic, one was CVS, which is national. CVS says to check back for details on the 12-15 year old age group.

I think it's great they are starting in some states, just not sure why some are waiting and some are going forward.

I think it's great they are starting in some states, just not sure why some are waiting and some are going forward.
I'm guessing some are being more cautious than others. Technically, it's the FDA that approves or disapproves. They've approved, so nothing wrong with going ahead. But the CDC is the expert on all things guidance-related, and they are meeting tomorrow to make a guidance recommendation on the expansion. So I guess some states want both FDA approval and CDC guidance before moving forward. I expect all states will open it up no later than Thursday, assuming CDC says yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter