Pete addressing all the hate on the podcast

Ever since the 10/5 disunplugged show, I am been struggling to answer Pete's rant. I've thought alot about it, and I think he has put the jerks who cause fights in with others who are unhappy with disney right now.

He was upset with people hitting and pushing and just plain fighting with each other or CM's. I feel the reason it is escalating is the built up frustration alot of people feel over the way things have been done recently. It's the much talked about cuts in entertainment, rides, seemingly no maintenance on the rides, the unacceptable number of ride breakdowns, no tram service, increased prices everywhere, taking away longer park hours for pay for parties, etc, no DME. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.
When they pay very high prices and get less, they get Entitled. They paid alot of money and we better have fun, ie: able to get into stores without huge crowds and generic merch, etc. The stress builds up at the happiest place in the world and people just get fed up with the cut up attractions and shows, lines, waits for food, just everything one on top the other. And now enters pay to ride, and not in an easy way to interpret. So, IMO, that's why so many fights and tempers flare now. Increased and building stress. It's not your normal people who follow the rules and dont complain, and the two should not be compared IMO. I can even see the stress on Pete's face.

I have watched the disunplugged for many years and always admired the way Pete called disney out for what he felt was wrong. I admire that what with his living being the travel agency. Who does that? I still admire him as much as ever but I think he is feeling the stress from so many areas, too.

So, in these frustrating, trying times (at and with disney), I think we should give him and others a break. I was upset too feeling like being scolded, but then thought about and realized he is feeling the pressure same as us.

Because it's not abuse. Like, semantically - nothing about this constitutes abuse and it says a lot about anyone who would use that word to describe a corporate relationship. I mean, come on!

Yeah, this attitude is pretty much why I am on and off Disney forums and social media. I love Disney World, and I'm going soon. I've found myself on these forums and other groups to help with planning, and there are pockets of great people in the community. But seeing stuff like this just isn't worth my mental health. A company doing something you don't like is absolutely NOT abuse.

Disney is a business, and we live in a capitalist society. They're going to do whatever they want if they can keep making money. It doesn't really matter if you like it or not, the demand is still there. People talk about how "childless millennials" are entitled, but throwing a fit because you don't like a fireworks show or the way they're designing new hotels is really a bit more telling.

A company doing something you don't like is absolutely NOT abuse.

👆

I love Disney and go pretty much at least once a year but calling what they are doing abuse is at best hyperbolic and quite insulting to actual abuse victims. If I stop finding value in trips, and I admit I'm finding it harder and harder, I'll stop going and put my money elsewhere. I won't end up with a black eye or years of therapy over it like a real abuse victim might.

You do know that abuse has many meanings including to treat badly. And of course there are many levels of being treated badly. And yes I feel Disney fans are being treated very badly indeed. If you don't agree that's how you feel. I feel very differently but the I go back to a time when customers were treated as guests. And employees were not exploited.
Now tomorrow should be a very interesting day. Will Genie plus be the disaster many of us are expecting or will it surprise us and be actually a boon for everyone? Of course it might take a little while for the kinks for both Disney and the customers to be worked out. But it is fascinating.

Will Genie plus be the disaster many of us are expecting or will it surprise us and be actually a boon for everyone? Of course it might take a little while for the kinks for both Disney and the customers to be worked out.
I think this is definitely a "Time will tell" sort of thing. I don't think they'll oust it until or unless they deem it a total failure. They'll modify and/or change parts until it reaches that point, if it does.

I think this is definitely a "Time will tell" sort of thing. I don't think they'll oust it until or unless they deem it a total failure. They'll modify and/or change parts until it reaches that point, if it does.
Judging by the first day many seemed to like it. With Rise selling out for the 2nd day in a row I think Genie is going work out just fine.

Judging by the first day many seemed to like it. With Rise selling out for the 2nd day in a row I think Genie is going work out just fine.
Likely will. The concept of the planning app has been around with Touring plans(which I've had since 2013) and others(before Touring Plans I had Tour guide Mike) for a number of years successfully, especially in view of who I believe their target audience for it is. In regards to the plus and individual paid rides they can adjust for demand, comfort, condition in the park etc.. . That's the key...they can adjust if necessary to make it enticing.

I was a huuuuuuge fan of the great movie ride but let’s be honest…..HS is 10x better than it was even 5 years ago
I agree. I also loved MMRR. My first trackless ride (I rode ROTR later in the day) and a nice mix of things form animatronics to animation and even the story I love. I loved great movie ride (and still sad our last ride we got the western scene and not the gangster scene as I always found the former boring). But I also recognize stuff needs to change. Our 2017 trip DHS we didn’t even get to until noon because we knew it wouldn’t need the full day. We actually had a late breakfast at 1900 park faire before we headed over! Now? We spent the whole day on both our 2019 and 2021 trips!

What I haven't see addressed so far is how much time people are needing to spend on their phones and how often they have to use a power rod. Staring at a phone is addicting and how much do you miss of the immersive experience of the park? When the parks are super crowded how soon will the lighting lanes and Genie+ spaces for the top rides like Peter Pan be filled up? Rise I've heard is already filled up by 8 and what is the average wait on its standby line?

No matter an opinion if one sees value in a Disney vacation then it is worth the price if one does not agree with the changes take your wallet elsewhere if enough do so then Disney will need to change and that is Corporate attitude that is created by huge demand. There are many others as well all with huge success down fall and huge success again. This is not new it happened in the early 2000s as well when Disney had to change to draw customers back when they were coming off of Bad food, High ticket prices (only length of stay period and you had no choice stay 7 days pay for a 7 day ticket used or not) Fights in the parks etc and yes a bad economy.

What I haven't see addressed so far is how much time people are needing to spend on their phones and how often they have to use a power rod. Staring at a phone is addicting and how much do you miss of the immersive experience of the park? When the parks are super crowded how soon will the lighting lanes and Genie+ spaces for the top rides like Peter Pan be filled up? Rise I've heard is already filled up by 8 and what is the average wait on its standby line?
I can only speak for my own experience with the other apps. I kept a fuel rod but never needed it... however...if using my plan I really only looked to see what I should do next according to my plan( I only optimized it in the park if I decided for whatever reason I didn't want to ride something or eat somewhere I originally planned). If I wasn't following the plan and doing spontaneous I used their line app showing wait times(which was pretty accurate). I'm going to compare the two apps myself sometime in the future. I'm sure the Touring Plans statisticians will be looking at pushing back thing as this will definitely affect them with their app.

This is not new it happened in the early 2000s as well when Disney had to change to draw customers back when they were coming off of Bad food, High ticket prices (only length of stay period and you had no choice stay 7 days pay for a 7 day ticket used or not) Fights in the parks etc and yes a bad economy.
Absolutely...it's what I've said before about changing or adjusting as necessary. Their decisions aren't "carved in stone". I recall in 1993 on my first trip not having Magical Express but either renting a car or taking Mears. We chose the rental for flexibility within the property(and external to Disney). Same with the dining plan. Both brought in to entice customers to pay for a stay.

Last edited:
Likely will. The concept of the planning app has been around with Touring plans(which I've had since 2013) and others(before Touring Plans I had Tour guide Mike) for a number of years successfully, especially in view of who I believe their target audience for it is. In regards to the plus and individual paid rides they can adjust for demand, comfort, condition in the park etc.. . That's the key...they can adjust if necessary to make it enticing.
While true I don't see them adding for free like the Dining plan. I personally think the days of offering free perks are done. The best you will get is discounts.

While true I don't see them adding for free like the Dining plan. I personally think the days of offering free perks are done. The best you will get is discounts.
All things being equal I think you might be right but other factors, such as the previously mentioned economy could make it happen(History has a way of repeating itself....I just wouldn't pin my hopes on it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter