Pete addressing all the hate on the podcast

Salf777

Mouseketeer
I was so happy to hear Pete going on a "rant" about all the negative attitudes out there lately. The very fact that people wanted him to go on a "rant" expecting him to criticize Enchantment, Harmonius, etc. just shows how much hate is out there right now, people were actually looking forward to a negative response! Like him I understand the negative feelings out there these days but I guess what bothers me most is I look to the boards and all the Facebook pages as a way to bring some joy into my day. When Im at work and having a rough day I like to go on and see all the pictures and stories of people enjoying the parks and most of all how helpful the community can be when people have questions or need help. It make me smile. Lately I have actually unsubscribed to some facebook groups because its all negative. And like Pete said its not an opinion as "I dont care for this" but just mean spirited hate. I saw people calling cast members in the Magic Kingdom on Oct 1st awful names and making comments I wouldnt make about my worst enemies, Can you just imagine the day these poor people had and they were just trying to make everyones day more enjoyable. Im a DVC member and annual passholder and have been effected by all the changes as well. I am also fortunate to have made several trips to DW thru COVID and more recently. Yes it was different but I found something to enjoy each time and honestly, it was a whole lot better than sitting at home! Being there gave me a real much needed attitude adjustment and really helped during these stressful times. The first time I went I posted some pictures on social media and was actually called "stupid" for being there during COVID several times! The comments were just off the charts. look you may not agree with me and your welcome to voice that opinion but to call me STUPID! WOW I was just shocked. We all must do whats good for us and can disagree but the level of negative comments has been crazy lately.
Pete calls out Disney when he feels appropriate but Im was very happy to see him address this I like these groups and enjoy being a part of.

Respectfully, Pete goes on so many rants on things and I think this rant missed the mark. Guests fighting in the park and viewers who had a negative opinion about the shows were lumped together. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I didn’t appreciate the rant chastising viewers for their opinions. I think it would be beneficial if Pete would consider that he voices his opinions often even when it’s very negative and that viewers have the right to do the same. I don’t think saying we needed a gut check was appropriate and it would be nice if there was some reflection on that and they addressed how they just treated the viewers on their last podcast.

people were actually looking forward to a negative response!

You or I have zero voice to Disney. Many view him as someone with a voice to Disney where they might actually listen. That is why people hope that when they dislike something that Pete talks about it as well.

He also did give a negative response..... He outlined he wouldn't even step in MK on the 50th because of all the issues.

Additionally they even talked about the cumulative effect. Many people are getting to the point of just being fed up with all the bad decisions. Lots of things are not even arguable to be a personal opinion of being bad (removal of Magical Express)

I just read the youtube comments.

A product of the times. I was just at UPS and the customer in front of me was berating
the worker. At the Store someone was cursing a manager because of mask policy etc.

I definitely notice shorter fuses. With Disney a lot more people are finding it hard to
"roll with the punches' in regards to all the changes and price increases. Coming off
these 18 months or so of Covid people are trying to look for some bright spots especially
with Disney. Some obviously are getting frustrated.

I did find it interesting when Pete said Disney management " may be rolling their eyes" now
because of all the complaining. So basically tuning out.

Here is hoping 2022 is much better for everyone.

Last edited:
To clarify I don’t disagree with people’s opinions and frustration but things have become so negative that it’s nice someone with a platform to reach more people is actually talking about it. I don’t think anyone can deny that a lot of what’s being said is a bit different than an opinion or per the way it’s said. There’s a big difference between saying I didn’t like this and some of the comments made with such hate. I didn’t like a lot of what was going on on some social media groups so I just took myself out of the group, simple, I didn’t go online and fight and berate people who disagreed with me

His criticism has to be balanced. He may give constructive criticism but doesn’t want to discourage people from booking a vacation.

Wait, you know we are talking about Pete Werner, right?

Respectfully, Pete goes on so many rants on things and I think this rant missed the mark. Guests fighting in the park and viewers who had a negative opinion about the shows were lumped together. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I didn’t appreciate the rant chastising viewers for their opinions. I think it would be beneficial if Pete would consider that he voices his opinions often even when it’s very negative and that viewers have the right to do the same. I don’t think saying we needed a gut check was appropriate and it would be nice if there was some reflection on that and they addressed how they just treated the viewers on their last podcast.

I listened to the Patreon show on Saturday night and the podcast. I didn't take Pete as "chastising viewers for their opinions" even when the opinion is "negative." I interpreted Pete as suggesting people not let the last 18 months of COVID-19 frustrations (among other things) unfairly color your opinion of Disney's changes. Pete's not shy about saying when he likes and doesn't like something but he also said he tries to assess his mood before expressing his opinion to make sure he isn't letting the kind of day he is having color what he thinks and says. I guess we disagree on whether it is appropriate to suggest to people they take a "gut check" before launching into a rant about something they don't like. I know I'm a lot happier with myself when I follow this practice (OK, on the rare times I follow the practice :mic: :duck:).

Personally, I think Disney is kind of its own worst enemy on changes. Disney designs attractions and shows purposely to tug at the heart-strings, to purposely generate an emotional response. They know exactly what they are doing in marketing going to the parks as a way to create wonderful memories (e.g., "memory maker").* I still get misty eyed watching the vidoes of the Cinderella castle-lighting. Or watching Spectro-magic videos (except for the scary-looking trumpet players). So in many ways, it isn't surprising that people have an emotional response when Disney changes a loved attraction or show. But I try to give everything time. Even so, the Frozen castle-lighting show always just left me feeling flat.....

* I mean, who among us hasn't spent time just watching the feel good park commercials at https://www.youtube.com/c/DisneyParks/videos.

Last edited:
Wait, you know we are talking about Pete Werner, right?

I listened to the Patreon show on Saturday night and the podcast. I didn't take Pete as "chastising viewers for their opinions" even when the opinion is "negative." I interpreted Pete as suggesting people not let the last 18 months of COVID-19 frustrations (among other things) unfairly color your opinion of Disney's changes. Pete's not shy about saying when he likes and doesn't like something but he also said he tries to assess his mood before expressing his opinion to make sure he isn't letting the kind of day he is having color what he thinks and says. I guess we disagree on whether it is appropriate to suggest to people they take a "gut check" before launching into a rant about something they don't like. I know I'm a lot happier with myself when I follow this practice (OK, on the rare times I follow the practice :mic: :duck:).

Personally, I think Disney is kind of its own worst enemy on changes. Disney designs attractions and shows purposely to tug at the heart-strings, to purposely generate an emotional response. They know exactly what they are doing in marketing going to the parks as a way to create wonderful memories (e.g., "memory maker").* I still get misty eyed watching the vidoes of the Cinderella castle-lighting. Or watching Spectro-magic videos (except for the scary-looking trumpet players). So in many ways, it isn't surprising that people have an emotional response when Disney changes a loved attraction or show. But I try to give everything time. Even so, the Frozen castle-lighting show always just left me feeling flat.....

* I mean, who among us hasn't spent time just watching the feel good park commercials at https://www.youtube.com/c/DisneyParks/videos.

That didn’t feel very good to listen to. I have no opinion on the shows in question-we aren’t really big night time show people and I haven’t watched harmonious streaming yet. But it felt a bit like “I can rant when I don’t like something but if you dislike something I like, don’t share”. Huge fan of the podcast for years now but that felt crummy.

And since Disney is a business, I do expect them to provide high quality content when they charge high prices-when they, in fact, increase their prices. If we don’t like what they provide-food, an experience-it’s completely appropriate to say that-we paid for that experience.

To clarify I don’t disagree with people’s opinions and frustration but things have become so negative that it’s nice someone with a platform to reach more people is actually talking about it. I don’t think anyone can deny that a lot of what’s being said is a bit different than an opinion or per the way it’s said. There’s a big difference between saying I didn’t like this and some of the comments made with such hate. I didn’t like a lot of what was going on on some social media groups so I just took myself out of the group, simple, I didn’t go online and fight and berate people who disagreed with me
While I agree there has been bad behavior and hateful comments, somehow it all got tied into people not liking the new shows. And people can not like something without having bad behavior or being hateful. So I think they should address those two things separately: the recent bad behavior of fans, (whether in the park or online) and the disappointment of the shows by fans. But they did lump those two together. Also a lot of it felt contradictory. Even Julie talked about how people don’t like change at Disney which was a very generalized statement, especially when she in the past has complained about Disney changing certain things. Also Craig didn’t like much of kite tails and then this episode he said his opinion had changed and that it was still bad but in the best way or a good way (can’t remember the exact wording). And that now he thinks he likes the show. I though that was a very odd response considering Kite tails seems to be a disaster with kites crashing and jet skis flipping over, etc. People are allowed to change their opinions, but it seemed odd for a Disney show that was plagued with problems. This episode just felt off to me.

That didn’t feel very good to listen to. I have no opinion on the shows in question-we aren’t really big night time show people and I haven’t watched harmonious streaming yet. But it felt a bit like “I can rant when I don’t like something but if you dislike something I like, don’t share”. Huge fan of the podcast for years now but that felt crummy.

And since Disney is a business, I do expect them to provide high quality content when they charge high prices-when they, in fact, increase their prices. If we don’t like what they provide-food, an experience-it’s completely appropriate to say that-we paid for that experience.
I agree it felt that way for me. And I thought the shows were good but that they did not live up to previous shows in some ways. I though there was good and bad. But that ultimately Disney missed the mark. I shared my opinion on social media, but I don’t feel I was ever rude about it. And I didn’t feel that I needed a gut check to express my opinion bc I think it’s ok for people to have a gut reaction.
Also I agree, Disney keeps raising prices, and part of the experience they advertise is the shows. So if it is part of the experience they are charging for I think it’s fair for people to critique them. Sometimes people take it too far and I think that is where the issue lies. So we need to differentiate between people behaving badly and having a negative opinion of something. Bc while sometimes there is a correlation between the two, it should not be an automatic assumption.

The in park guest behavior was disgusting. It’s embarrassing as a Disney fan to see that garbage.

I’ll add unles you’ve seen Harmonius and Enchanted in person, your opinion is meaningless to me.

Far too many Disney fans are terrified of change.

The in park guest behavior was disgusting. It’s embarrassing as a Disney fan to see that garbage.

I’ll add unles you’ve seen Harmonius and Enchanted in person, your opinion is meaningless to me.

Far too many Disney fans are terrified of change.
First I will say I have no opinion one or another on the new shows as shows don't do anything for me.

As far as negativity goes, I'm sorry but Disney deserves right now. Between all the cuts to everything, and to the lackluster 50th. The 50th should never been about how much special merch we can sell. It should be a celebration of the past 50 years. I wish they would stop using Covid as an excuse. Other parks have done more this past year and didn't use Covid as an excuse.

I think part of it isn't even that people are negative towards disney or the new shows, it's that when someone has a differing opinion, like liking the show, they are called out for it. It's like people aren't allowed to like anything at disney now because others don't like things. It's the constant disagreements and arguing that gets tired. If it was actual good discussion about your thoughts good or bad it'd be fine, but all of this your opinion is wrong, the show is awful is tiring.

I'm sorry, but no gut check is required when DISNEY, themselves, LIVE STREAMS (badly, I might add) the debut of their 2 new nighttime spectaculars. Both shows missed the mark. They put the shows out there to be seen and people are gonna say what they want about them.

Guests being awful in the parks isn't something Pete needs to discuss on his show. DIS channel listeners/viewers are not the people behaving badly, I'd wager. But it is precisely this demographic of passionate Disney fans that is going to crap all over a bad show. We know what Disney can do. We've seen it. If they aren't going to raise the bar, or at least maintain the status quo, they really shouldn't make changes. Wishes ran for like 20 years. And in the last 5 we've now had 2 MK fireworks shows? It's unnecessary, unless they were going to do something COMPLETELY different for the anniversary, which they didn't. They used the same 6 songs they keep recycling for everything.

The majority of the reviews on these 2 shows are negative. That's a problem for Disney. People are done being nice and giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's been a long 18 months but at every turn, rather than just trying to spread some magic, Disney is taking literally EVERY opportunity to line their pockets at the expense of the guest experience and its crystal clear that they cut corners with Enchanted, in particular, as well as Kite Tails.

We don't need to feel sorry for the massive media conglomerate that lost billions during the pandemic. Spare me. The Disney corporation will be fine. But if they are going to continue to whittle away at the in park experience and the resort experience, while charging more and more, they'd better be ready to hear about it when they get something wrong.

Last edited:
I definitely think that his rant was as much COVID stress related as any collective negativity here is. I'm sure it's been a stressful 18 months for his business, and I don't doubt he's been shocked by, and maybe even a little fearful of, the level of disdain being seen on the boards.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of things got lumped together since they were all happening at the same time.

Guests behaving badly getting merchandise to resell on Ebay is a much different situation to guests having negative opinions of the new shows.

Pete's main point seemed to be for people to take a step back and breathe a bit before jumping to conclusions about everything.

I haven't seen Harmonious in person, but I saw Craig's video and overall it looks decent. I'm sure they can make tweaks to the show and OTHER than the presence of the barges which we're kinda stuck with for the time being...I'd say lets be patient to see how the show grows on us.

I am frustrated about how they installed the barges and the fact that the very same type of ring centerpiece could have been made collapsible because they did in Tokyo for their Fantasmic show.

KiteTails is a whole other matter....I think the optics are obvious regarding that...show?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter