Patio awning replacement

jenflamingo1

Gone With The Wind Girl
We need to replace the awning on our patio. It is a basic 8-foot by 12-foot area with a permanently attached aluminum-pole frame . The awning has reached the end of it's lifespan and is starting to show it's age ; I had the awning company do a small repair where the binding started to come loose from the edge. This repair will buy me another year ( I feel like I just should have sewn it myself - about 14 inches of repair is costing me $120 ! ).
My awning company gave me a ballpark price of $1200 - $1400 for replacement . That seems like a lot of money . There are not too many places around here that do awning replacement , so I scoured the online options and came up empty there . Apparently, there are lots of replacements for retractable awnings , which I do not have , and not so many for fixed, seasonal-use awnings .
Can anyone steer me toward a less expensive option ? Thanks !

We have a sunsetter retractable, which we love. Have had it for years. I know you aren't looking for a retractable, but they also make freestanding. Maybe that would work.

Good luck.

We just had this same situation. My awning frame is 10 x 18. When we bought the house 17 yrs. ago we had my BIL make us a cover. He did apholstery at that time. He no longer can. We had him make a flat rectangle with grommets all around. We use the nylon zip ties to stretch it across the frame. This way there was no fancy sewing and it is much less expensive. We have been through two in all these years. I had to hunt to find someone willing to take this on but she is charging us about $500 to buy the fabric and make the unit. It takes a lot of fabric as it is 60 inches wide, taking 3 rows of 6 yards.
We live on the edge of Lake Erie so there are a lot of people who make boat covers and replacement seats for boats, sails, all kinds of things. That is where I started. The material we use is a flexible coated fabric that resists the sun an mildew. We put it up in spring and down in winter. We give it a good cleaning before rolling it up dry. Anyone with a heavy duty sewing machine can make something like ours. If you want some fancy edging you will have to find an awning company. The nearest city ought to have some as restaurants and stores often put up awnings. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter