Passport Expired!!

MEdisneyprincess

Earning My Ears
I just found out that my kid’s passports will expire in May. Two and a half months after our cruise which is next week!!!! Do I need to worry about that?

Is your cruise a closed loop cruise? Meaning, starting and ending in the US at the same port?

Unless your cruise extends past the expiration date, it’s not a problem.

When you do renew them, they have to be done in person. Kid’s passports can’t be done through the mail.

Many countries require a passport to be valid after the expected dates of travel. For instance, when I went to Russia, my passport had to have an expiration date 6 months after my intended return date.

Ah. I see. Thx.

If you are departing from Miami and the cruise is that close you have the opportunity to get an expedited passport in Miami. There is a passport office about a mile from the actual port and they can even do 24 emergency passports. You have to make an appointment and need proof of an out of the country trip to get it done really quickly.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...s/where-to-apply/passport-agencies/miami.html

You are good to go! Have fun! As a PP mentioned, passport renewals for kids are done in person, so put on your calendar for when you get back

Our son's passport expired a couple months after our last cruise, so we took the birth certificate as well just in case, but no one asked for it.

Mexico is on many lists of countries with the 6-month requirement but the State Department's website just says time of entry.

Check with your passport office in your local fed building (not post office). Here in Dallas you can get a new passport same day as long as you go to the office at the Fed building downtown, you have all supporting docs, both parents, $60 expedited fee and proof of international travel within 2 weeks (itinerary). I'm sure it's probably like this in many major cities, I can't imagine only Dallas office has this capability.

Mexico is on many lists of countries with the 6-month requirement but the State Department's website just says time of entry.
What it is - If you plan to stay in Mexico longer than 6 months, you must have a visa (US citizens). So it's "recommended" that you have 6 months remaining on your passport to enter Mexico. It's not required, since on a cruise you're not in Mexico that long.

If you are departing from Miami and the cruise is that close you have the opportunity to get an expedited passport in Miami. There is a passport office about a mile from the actual port and they can even do 24 emergency passports. You have to make an appointment and need proof of an out of the country trip to get it done really quickly.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...s/where-to-apply/passport-agencies/miami.html

Check with your passport office in your local fed building (not post office). Here in Dallas you can get a new passport same day as long as you go to the office at the Fed building downtown, you have all supporting docs, both parents, $60 expedited fee and proof of international travel within 2 weeks (itinerary). I'm sure it's probably like this in many major cities, I can't imagine only Dallas office has this capability.

Both good suggestions, but, in this case, not necessary.

All you need is an original birth certificate and Government Issued picture ID for all passengers. Picture IDs are only for passengers older than 15. If it is a closed loop cruise, passports are not required. I would bring them anyway, for emergency situations. They should be valid even though they expire 2 months after sailing. International Air travel to Europe requires them be valid 6 months after travel. Mexico does not. But again, traveling on a cruise ship is different. We cruised for years before we actually got passports for everyone.

International Air travel to Europe requires them be valid 6 months after travel. Mexico does not.
There's been a report that American Airlines does require 6 months on a US passport to fly to Mexico. Probably has to do with the 6 month recommendation/stays longer than 6 months requiring a visa thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter