Passengers are furious after Norwegian Cruise Line removed Antarctica from its itinerary after everyone had boarded

Drake Passage~ The Drake Lake or Shake. It can be very rough or nothing. Back in 2022 a rogue wave hit a cruise ship and someone was killed. It is no joke. I believe the ship was the Viking Polaris.

What's funny is right before any of this happened, I'd seen a series of TikToks of other cruise lines making passage to Antarctica... and experiencing horrible sea swells, chairs flying, tables crashing, glass breaking. Not sure if they made it. I figured it was just a safety move due to sea conditions.

I quickly crossed Antarctica off my list because of it. 😂 I can't even handle a regular rough sea day, let alone... that.

What's funny is right before any of this happened, I'd seen a series of TikToks of other cruise lines making passage to Antarctica... and experiencing horrible sea swells, chairs flying, tables crashing, glass breaking. Not sure if they made it. I figured it was just a safety move due to sea conditions.

That was probably Royal Caribbean Serenade of The Seas World Cruise. The go slow order at Antarctica didnt really affect their itinerary.

Drake Passage~ The Drake Lake or Shake. It can be very rough or nothing. Back in 2022 a rogue wave hit a cruise ship and someone was killed. It is no joke. I believe the ship was the Viking Polaris.
The most number of reported rogue waves has occurred there.

This summer those of us on the 10-night France/Iceland/Norway had one of our Iceland ports cancelled. It was pretty frustrating. Apparently there was an issue with the dock not actually having been built. The kicker was that DCL literally knew about it for MONTHS and didn't tell us until less than a week before departure. How did I know they knew? Well, because literally there was NO cruise ship dock and other lines were either cancelling the port or tendering.

This is on a cruise that already had a large number of sea days and to remove one of the Iceland days, which, let's be honest, is the main reason most people book that itinerary, was so disappointing. Like, I confess, I actually cried. And we got nothing. It was extra frustrating when I learned a couple months later of another DCL ship that missed a port (the Fantasy?) and they got some onboard credit and some kind of discount on a future cruise. Me? I got to file a claim with trip insurance because our excursion wouldn't give us back our deposit. So I can relate to these cruisers' feelings.
I was on an equivalent cruise to this but it was a 10 night NCL cruise. We had that same stop and they also didn't tell us of the change in ports until we were getting on the ship. I knew about it, however because some people on cruise critic told us they had issues with this port before us. We also lost another Iceland port because of the weather. I would have been more upset, but we started the cruise in Iceland and we had already done several land-based tours. But from what I read on Cruise Critic, this seems to be something that is a theme for NCL. With that being said, we had a great time on our cruise on the Prima. The food was definitely better than DCL.

" In December, passengers on an MSC Cruises trip were told they would be heading from New York to Boston instead of the Caribbean just hours before they were scheduled to set sail. "

This would annoy me more if I lived in the northeast. Imagine in December, ready to go to the warm weather down south, to just go more north LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter