Parking In San Francisco... Help!

chaselovesnemo

Mouseketeer
Locals- (or very knowledgeable tourists :))

Where would you park for-
-Alcatraz (Pier 33)/Fisherman's Wharf
-Exploratorium
-Cal Academy of Sciences

Price is certainly a factor but we have small children so we also want to be fairly close.

I thought I had done some good research but... for example:
I had read to park at Kezar stadium for the Cal Academy of Sciences. However, when I look on a map it looks pretty darn far away.

Any help would be so appreciated!

PS- We will have CityPass's so we will have MUNI passes to travel around once we get into the city.

There is a garage underneath the plaza in front of the Academy of Sciences. We always park there. It's probably cheaper to park at Kezar, but you may just need to accept that parking in SF is $$$$.

Depending on how you are planning to divide up the activities listed, you could take the streetcar down the embarcadero to the Exploratorium if you were parked in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Pier 39 garage is more expensive than some others... we usually park at one... where is it? A garage semi-near there, just look for parking signs. Still, we have parked at pier 39, it's fine just more expensive.

You can park at pier 39 and walk down to the alcatraz. There is street parking for exploratorium, but might be full. Look on their website for their parking garages.

You can just street park in GGP for the Academy. Might be 4 hour limit, so depends how long you will be staying. You can also street park in the surrounding neighborhoods, just don't block any garages. That makes us crabby. :) The parking garage underneath is fine too.

Really I would just try to take public transport. You can easily find parking, but just be willing to pay. I just got a new app called "park Me" (I think) that shows garages and prices in the area.

Kim

Oh and Kezar parking isn't free. If you are early just find a street spot in the park, just be mindful of the time.

I agree with what has been said. Just remember that SF has no parking for street cleaning. Be sure to check the signs for the day/s affected where you park.

ooh yes good point! I should have said that! Check the signs - likely it's street cleaning if there are tons of spots open!

There is a 2 hour window for cleaning, but after the street cleaner comes by you can park there. So if you see lots of other cars parked there, likely he's gone by already. Of if you see someone parked there with a ticket, that means he already came, so go ahead and park.

Kim

There is a parking lot on the Embarcadero, right across the street from the Exploratorium. I highly recommend this lot. Go early. The Exploratorium opens at 10am, and I recommend getting there before that. The restaurant there is a bit expensive, but good quality food and delicious.

As for Alcatraz, and the others, all the parking is expensive. If you can take the cable car from your hotel, or the Bart, I'd try that.

Pier 39 garage is more expensive than some others... we usually park at one... where is it? A garage semi-near there, just look for parking signs. Still, we have parked at pier 39, it's fine just more expensive.

You can park at pier 39 and walk down to the alcatraz. There is street parking for exploratorium, but might be full. Look on their website for their parking garages.

You can just street park in GGP for the Academy. Might be 4 hour limit, so depends how long you will be staying. You can also street park in the surrounding neighborhoods, just don't block any garages. That makes us crabby. :) The parking garage underneath is fine too.

Really I would just try to take public transport. You can easily find parking, but just be willing to pay. I just got a new app called "park Me" (I think) that shows garages and prices in the area.

Kim

Wow that app is amazing! Thank you so much. That is a huge help. I'm thinking maybe we'll take public transportation on the day we do the Exploratorium.

So how is street parking in GGP? Are there typically open spaces mid-day? We plan to be there about 9am on the morning we do the museum so I'm guessing we'll be able to get a spot, but after the museum we'll probably explore other areas in the park (maybe go to the Japanese Tea Gardens). If we have to move our car after 4 hours do you think we'll be able to find a spot then?

Thank you all so much for the information! Using the Park Me app I found a lot near Pier 33 for Alcatraz (North Point Shopping Center lot) that charges a $10 flat rate Early Bird fee. This seems like a great rate. What's the catch!?:confused3:)

Anybody know anything about this lot?

I think the North Point lot may have a Cost Plus and a Barnes and Noble? Although the BN may have closed.... any of the lots near the wharf should be fine. Just don't leave valuables in the car.

GGP depends on when you are coming... some random weekday, probably plenty of parking. Holiday summer weekend? Probably really crowded. When are you coming?

Oh and if you are visiting the Academy, walk out to Nopalito on 9th b/w Irving and Lincoln (south side of the park) - usually parking on that side. Good mexican food place, but not normal mexican food. Get the Totopos appetizer and the Panucho for lunch. The sandwich - torta something I think - is good too! I love this place!

http://nopalitosf.com/

Also Arizmendi bakery further up 9th b/w Irving and Judah - best chocolate cake EVER.
http://www.arizmendibakery.org/

The GGP children's playground is near there too and has an old huge concrete slide which is really fun! You need to ride on a piece of cardboard, but there is usually some laying around. :)

Kim

I think the North Point lot may have a Cost Plus and a Barnes and Noble? Although the BN may have closed.... any of the lots near the wharf should be fine. Just don't leave valuables in the car.

GGP depends on when you are coming... some random weekday, probably plenty of parking. Holiday summer weekend? Probably really crowded. When are you coming?

Oh and if you are visiting the Academy, walk out to Nopalito on 9th b/w Irving and Lincoln (south side of the park) - usually parking on that side. Good mexican food place, but not normal mexican food. Get the Totopos appetizer and the Panucho for lunch. The sandwich - torta something I think - is good too! I love this place!

http://nopalitosf.com/

Also Arizmendi bakery further up 9th b/w Irving and Judah - best chocolate cake EVER.
http://www.arizmendibakery.org/

The GGP children's playground is near there too and has an old huge concrete slide which is really fun! You need to ride on a piece of cardboard, but there is usually some laying around. :)

Kim

We will be there (GGP) next Tuesday. We are doing Alcatraz on Mon and Exploratorium on Wed. I heard there is a big sailing convention or something going on, is that going to make the museums more crowded? Thank you for the Arizmendi recommendation. Chocolate cake? I'm there! My kids will love that slide.

Do you have any idea how long it may take us to drive into the city in the mornings? We are staying in San Bruno and plan to drive in around 830 or 9 each day. Heavy traffic?

Thank you so much for your help!

San Bruno is probably about 30 minutes...but in the morning it could take longer since going north on 101 is the same thing everyone else is doing. I would leave extra time. I can't imagine it would take longer than an hour. It's just not that far. but for Alcatraz if your boat is early I would go extra early since if you miss it you are out of luck.

The America's Cup is here and you should totally go down and check out any races! Which reminds me, I wanted to do that too! But you know, soccer games, PTA meeting.. sigh. Maybe Sunday, I'll have to check the schedule. I think things may be more crowded down along the embarcadero, but I doubt it at the museums (well, maybe Exploratorium since it's down there).

http://www.americascup.com/en/schedules/races

They have a pavillion thing set up too somewhere down there. Looks cool! Our city district supervisor takes all the PTA presidents and principals on a "field trip" each year, and last year we got to go in and tour the Oracle center and talk to the guys who are building the america's cup boat. It was super cool! Actually, I think the big wing is on display at the Academy so if you are going there you can check it out.

Tuesday I don't think you should have any trouble street parking in the park.

We just went to the Exploratorium yesterday. We parked at the Embarcadero Center and with validation from the Exploratorium it was $10 for the day. The America's cup is worth the time to check out.

We used to have annual passes for the Academy of Sciences. We always parked in the lot underneath. We never had luck with street parking in the park. Just be warned the entrance to the lot is off of Fulton Street. There are other entrances but they will often he blocked off or say full when the other entrance is still open.

San Bruno is probably about 30 minutes...but in the morning it could take longer since going north on 101 is the same thing everyone else is doing. I would leave extra time. I can't imagine it would take longer than an hour. It's just not that far. but for Alcatraz if your boat is early I would go extra early since if you miss it you are out of luck.

The America's Cup is here and you should totally go down and check out any races! Which reminds me, I wanted to do that too! But you know, soccer games, PTA meeting.. sigh. Maybe Sunday, I'll have to check the schedule. I think things may be more crowded down along the embarcadero, but I doubt it at the museums (well, maybe Exploratorium since it's down there).

http://www.americascup.com/en/schedules/races

They have a pavillion thing set up too somewhere down there. Looks cool! Our city district supervisor takes all the PTA presidents and principals on a "field trip" each year, and last year we got to go in and tour the Oracle center and talk to the guys who are building the america's cup boat. It was super cool! Actually, I think the big wing is on display at the Academy so if you are going there you can check it out.

Tuesday I don't think you should have any trouble street parking in the park.

That looks awesome! We are land-locked and my youngest has yet to see the ocean, so my kids will get a real kick out of that. I hope you find time to go!

Thanks for all the help, we are so excited to visit!

We just went to the Exploratorium yesterday. We parked at the Embarcadero Center and with validation from the Exploratorium it was $10 for the day. The America's cup is worth the time to check out.

We used to have annual passes for the Academy of Sciences. We always parked in the lot underneath. We never had luck with street parking in the park. Just be warned the entrance to the lot is off of Fulton Street. There are other entrances but they will often he blocked off or say full when the other entrance is still open.

That is so helpful. Thank you! I would have had no idea some of the entrances were blocked. We will have Citypass's instead of tickets... do you think they will validate those?

That is so helpful. Thank you! I would have had no idea some of the entrances were blocked. We will have Citypass's instead of tickets... do you think they will validate those?

I don't think it matters. Inside the ticketing area, they were validating at the info desk.

The races are actually held in the Bay. You have to come out to my hood to get the Ocean - way out on the west side of the city. You definitely won't be lacking for water views around here. :)

Crissy Field is a nice place to hang out and take a walk. You can park near the Warming Hut or at East Beach. You can find them on google maps easily I think. We sometimes play at the beach there. Water is freezing though! Actually I think it's supposed to be 77 tomorrow - I think our "summer" may get here just in time for you!

Kim

The races are actually held in the Bay. You have to come out to my hood to get the Ocean - way out on the west side of the city. You definitely won't be lacking for water views around here. :)

Crissy Field is a nice place to hang out and take a walk. You can park near the Warming Hut or at East Beach. You can find them on google maps easily I think. We sometimes play at the beach there. Water is freezing though! Actually I think it's supposed to be 77 tomorrow - I think our "summer" may get here just in time for you!

Kim

77 sounds fabulous. We've had high 90's all summer and it looks like they've decided to stick around for September. :sad2: Can't wait to get away from the heat!

oh, and re:weather.

Looks like we may sneak in some 80s next week! SHOCKER! but keep in mind the weather changes DRASTICALLY and very quickly. And the wind plays a big part into how it feels. Always dress in layers. Even if you think it is warm, it could get cold very quickly. And also colder the further west you go in the city. It's often warm and sunny downtown, and out by me at the beach, cold and foggy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter