Park bag for a 7 year old?

Clearly my kid is lazy because when I first saw the title I was thinking "7 is awfully large to be carried in a (baby carrier) bag." :)

Realistically though with my scouts we discourage drawstring bags because they are super uncomfortable to wear. Have you considered a LL Bean junior backpack (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/118...ook-pack&bc=50-816&feat=816-GN1&csp=f&pos=8)? They aren't as cute as a loungefly but they are super durable and work well for older kids too carrying a limited amount of stuff. That's what I made my daughter hike with until she complained that it was "too dirty." For Scouts. On a hike. Yep.

As others have said fannypacks aren't great for water bottles. We got one off Amazon for a hike and I found that the bottles got in the way of my arms, and a single one (in the back) would not work well with rides. Plus it's a pain to have to clip/unclip it.
50%. That's the age increase for kids in strollers upon entering WDW compared to normal life. When we went earlier this month, there were some big kids sitting butt to ankles being pushed around in those tiny collapsible strollers. So no, I don't think a baby carrier bag is out of the question for a seven year old when at WDW.

My kiddo was 7 on our last trip and carried a Kavu mini sling bag (crossbody) for a couple of our park days, but most of our stuff fits in MY bigger sling bag so they decided not to carry it for the remainder of the trip. I do like the Kavu bags a lot - they're probably not roomy enough for a larger family, but it's just the 2 of us, we share a water bottle, and we just don't carry that much stuff into the parks.

I have a 5 year old (will turn 6 while at Disney this year!!) and I’m planning on getting him the Lorimer crossbody bags for kids at State (when I tried to post link, it wouldn’t let me post this comment).

He has a suitcase from State and its quality.

I’m carrying our water in my bag, so this is for some pins, hand sanitizer, glasses case, autograph book and pen.

Good luck! :)

My 8yo uses a G4Free crossbody (G4Free Sling Bags Men Shoulder Backpack Small Cross Body Chest Sling Backpack) that you can buy on Amazon. It holds exactly the kind of things you're talking about and is the perfect size for her. My 10yo has graduated and uses the one with the cell phone holder (G4Free Sling Bag RFID Blocking Sling Backpack Crossbody Chest Bag Daypack for Hiking Travel(Dark Blue)), though it is a bit bigger.
Did it go small enough on your 8 year old? I have a small almost 7 year old and I looked at these but not sure if it would be too big. Thanks!

Did it go small enough on your 8 year old? I have a small almost 7 year old and I looked at these but not sure if it would be too big. Thanks!
Mine is 48". I *think* that she doesn't have the strap pulled all the way here because she doesn't like it too tight, but can't be sure. They cinch a LOT. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 20230314_134420.jpg
    20230314_134420.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 11
DH and I are sharing a backpack, so it might turn into the "family backpack" by default, lol.
I was going to say, make sure it’s something lite, it will be easier for you to carry. Lol.
I work in merchandising and I see a lot of kids with draw string backpacks. We did this when our dd was little. We always stayed on property, always rope drop and go back to the resort around 1pm for a nap then back at it around 4pm. I had a rule with her, if she wanted to take it and didn’t want to lug it around for five hours, it wasn’t going. Lol
Today kids are so use to backpacks it don’t bother them. LF’s are real nice but they can be an investment.lol. Have a great time on your trip!

My grandkids all used drawstring backpacks. Each carried their own snacks, poncho, charger, etc. They were easy to place in the bag holder on some rides and for rides like Thunder Mountain, they placed their bag around their leg. I made some of them with a waterproof liner and a zipper pocket for their money.
You sound like an awesome grandma.

Mine is 48". I *think* that she doesn't have the strap pulled all the way here because she doesn't like it too tight, but can't be sure. They cinch a LOT. Hope this helps!
Thank you! Super helpful. DD is just a little shorter but it looks like it may work.

Another vote for a string "type" bag but if you can find one with flat straps instead of strings, they are more comfortable.

When my kids were small but out of strollers, we did a small belt bag as that was easier and more comfy for them and can be worn around the waste or as a cross body. They only carried a few small toys, crayons and stickers for sit down restaurants and small snacks & lollypops as well as a sharpie for autographs. Both wore a Disney light colored bucket had or baseball cap for autogrpahs.

My girls have lululemon bags that are super small that they carry (wear cross body or as a fanny pack)-we carry water separate and mostly get cups of water rather than each carrying one. I am sure there are lots of lulu dupes on amazon.

I
Another vote for a string "type" bag but if you can find one with flat straps instead of strings, they are more comfortable.

When my kids were small but out of strollers, we did a small belt bag as that was easier and more comfy for them and can be worn around the waste or as a cross body. They only carried a few small toys, crayons and stickers for sit down restaurants and small snacks & lollypops as well as a sharpie for autographs. Both wore a Disney light colored bucket had or baseball cap for autogrpahs.
I was just coming here to say that the string bags are more comfortable with fat, soft strings, but don't get the ones with flat straps. I actually dislike the flat straps a lot as the material is less comfortable and they cut more into my shoulders. So - obviously - a personal decision.

With a 7 year old girl - I'd go with the fanny pack or a small crossbody that holds a water bottle and not much more. BUT - a 7 year old should help pick it out - even at 7 - fashion opinions are forming! :rotfl2: Keep it cheap..... just sturdy enough to survive the trip - not a 5 year commitment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter