Park bag for a 7 year old?

TikiWiki33

Earning My Ears
(I looked for a similar thread, but didn't find anything. Feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm missing something!)

Our youngest will be 7 (almost 8) years old when we go next year. I'd like her to be responsible for a couple of her own basics (ie, water bottle, hand sanitizer). What have your kids used in the parks? Water bottle bag? drawstring backpack? Knockoff lounge fly? Lightweight crossbows?

Im thinking something lightweight and not too pricey so we don't freak out when she inevitably leaves it on Pirates😆

ETA: CrossBODY. Although a crossbow would come in handy for line-cutters!

I feel like a fanny pack is probably the most likely to remain on a child that age. They might have to move it up or down to accommodate the seatbelt, but won't always have to take it off. Fanny packs aren't great for water bottles though.

(I looked for a similar thread, but didn't find anything. Feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm missing something!)

Our youngest will be 7 (almost 8) years old when we go next year. I'd like her to be responsible for a couple of her own basics (ie, water bottle, hand sanitizer). What have your kids used in the parks? Water bottle bag? drawstring backpack? Knockoff lounge fly? Lightweight crossbows?

Im thinking something lightweight and not too pricey so we don't freak out when she inevitably leaves it on Pirates😆

I'd say if the kid isn't asking to carry a bag and especially at the young age of 7 a fanny pack would be the only thing I'd really feel comfortable with. It's there and clipped on, plus it'd probably be the least uncomfortable for them.

My 8 year old spent her money on a loungefly and was super excited to have her own bag. She did a pretty good job (thankfully never left it anywhere), but there were a cpl. days she decided to leave it in the room and a few hot afternoons that she was really just sick of lugging it around.

Everyone varies on what someone is comfortable with, even kids.

By far the most popular thing I saw kids and teens use were drawstring backpacks. You can get a lot of them for a very inexpensive price. You could try one at home by getting one on the cheap before you go. Have her take it with her when you guys go out and about. Not everyone likes weight around their back and shoulders.

I used fanny packs when I was younger but not sure I did it when I was 7. I know I had one when I was about 11. But you would want to test that as well if you thought about getting it and you probably can find one also on the cheap. Not everyone likes having weight around the waist and it can get in the way on rides which can be a pain point. These days you'll find more people wear a fanny pack as a short crossbody (more like across the chest), that is more the style.

I would stay away from purchasing something like vera bradley, loungefly, etc just yet because of their cost. It being her first time and still being young a cheaper option might be better especially if you think there's a higher chance of her losing it (which to be fair us adults can be like that too lol).

My 8yo uses a G4Free crossbody (G4Free Sling Bags Men Shoulder Backpack Small Cross Body Chest Sling Backpack) that you can buy on Amazon. It holds exactly the kind of things you're talking about and is the perfect size for her. My 10yo has graduated and uses the one with the cell phone holder (G4Free Sling Bag RFID Blocking Sling Backpack Crossbody Chest Bag Daypack for Hiking Travel(Dark Blue)), though it is a bit bigger.

My 8yo uses a G4Free crossbody (G4Free Sling Bags Men Shoulder Backpack Small Cross Body Chest Sling Backpack) that you can buy on Amazon. It holds exactly the kind of things you're talking about and is the perfect size for her. My 10yo has graduated and uses the one with the cell phone holder (G4Free Sling Bag RFID Blocking Sling Backpack Crossbody Chest Bag Daypack for Hiking Travel(Dark Blue)), though it is a bit bigger.
I'll check it out. Thanks!

We just got back with a 5 year old. He carried a small Mickey Fanny pack. But, he only carried a buzz light year toy, a small kids camera, his sunglasses, and celebration buttons in it. He LOVED having it and it was helpful to let him know that he could only bring what he could carry into sit down meals, ride lines, etc.

He wore it crossbody.

We just got back with a 5 year old. He carried a small Mickey Fanny pack. But, he only carried a buzz light year toy, a small kids camera, his sunglasses, and celebration buttons in it. He LOVED having it and it was helpful to let him know that he could only bring what he could carry into sit down meals, ride lines, etc.

He wore it crossbody.
Was he able to leave it on for rides?

My grandkids all used drawstring backpacks. Each carried their own snacks, poncho, charger, etc. They were easy to place in the bag holder on some rides and for rides like Thunder Mountain, they placed their bag around their leg. I made some of them with a waterproof liner and a zipper pocket for their money.

My 7 year old wore a Loungefly this last trip that we had gotten off of Amazon before our trip so it was a bit cheaper ($50). He really wanted one last summer as his sisters both got them (with their souvenir money) but we basically told him no. Leading up to this trip he kept talking about choosing that as his souvenir and we just knew it was going to be high drama of not knowing which one to pick, getting stressed out, and spending almost all his souvenir money on one thing so we just sucked it up and bought one ahead of time. He loved carrying it (was pretty light) and sometimes we swapped and one of the adults did (we only had one big backpack between us) and it was great to have an extra spot to stick something in if we separated. He loved feeling like part of the Loungefly wearing crowd as well!

I remember wearing a crossbody bag around that age. I don’t think fanny packs or waist bags are comfortable though. You can get a water bottle holder that clips onto the belt of a waist bag or the strap of a crossbody if the bag itself isn’t big enough to hold it.

Clearly my kid is lazy because when I first saw the title I was thinking "7 is awfully large to be carried in a (baby carrier) bag." :)

Realistically though with my scouts we discourage drawstring bags because they are super uncomfortable to wear. Have you considered a LL Bean junior backpack (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/118...ook-pack&bc=50-816&feat=816-GN1&csp=f&pos=8)? They aren't as cute as a loungefly but they are super durable and work well for older kids too carrying a limited amount of stuff. That's what I made my daughter hike with until she complained that it was "too dirty." For Scouts. On a hike. Yep.

As others have said fannypacks aren't great for water bottles. We got one off Amazon for a hike and I found that the bottles got in the way of my arms, and a single one (in the back) would not work well with rides. Plus it's a pain to have to clip/unclip it.

Clearly my kid is lazy because when I first saw the title I was thinking "7 is awfully large to be carried in a (baby carrier) bag." :)

Realistically though with my scouts we discourage drawstring bags because they are super uncomfortable to wear. Have you considered a LL Bean junior backpack (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/118...ook-pack&bc=50-816&feat=816-GN1&csp=f&pos=8)? They aren't as cute as a loungefly but they are super durable and work well for older kids too carrying a limited amount of stuff. That's what I made my daughter hike with until she complained that it was "too dirty." For Scouts. On a hike. Yep.

As others have said fannypacks aren't great for water bottles. We got one off Amazon for a hike and I found that the bottles got in the way of my arms, and a single one (in the back) would not work well with rides. Plus it's a pain to have to clip/unclip it.
😆, well, sometimes on these boards, you never know...😁
I'll take a look at that; thanks!

We carry a family backpack, and DD would take her turn for part of the day, so we all shared the burden. It was mostly for sweatshirts (we like to go when it gets chilly at night) water bottles and personal items. Easy to all fit into one backpack, and light enough for us all to carry. She did a great job taking her turn, and not at 14 offers to carry for most of the day.

We carry a family backpack, and DD would take her turn for part of the day, so we all shared the burden. It was mostly for sweatshirts (we like to go when it gets chilly at night) water bottles and personal items. Easy to all fit into one backpack, and light enough for us all to carry. She did a great job taking her turn, and not at 14 offers to carry for most of the day.
DH and I are sharing a backpack, so it might turn into the "family backpack" by default, lol.

I've always started my kids off at 4 years old using a fanny pack but this year my 5 year old used a 10" Disney themed backpack (not lounge fly) that I found at a discount store for $25. It was perfect for snacks, water bottle, hand sanitizer, rain poncho, and a few toys. He liked carrying his own bag and I liked that it gave him responsibility and there was less that was in my bag. My older girls sometimes carry drawstring bags but always end up switching to a mini backpack within a few days because of the weight of water bottle causing the strings to be uncomfortable.

Before every Disney trip I always headed to Kmart to get me a new purse for the trip and I always ended up getting a Disney character bag and when I would get to Disneyland I always got high marks from cast members about my purse and I would carry my pocket radio and some gum in it and a wallet. The best places to find small purses would be Big Lots or Ross Dress For Less and I advise you to check Ross's kids clothing section because they have a great selection of Disney backpacks and small purses too for real cheap

Obviously, the cheapest option is a used plastic grocery bag. You can always double bag it if she's carrying something heavier like orange juice or milk. Plus, the one benefit to inflation is that the $20 of groceries that used to require adults to carry them can now be carried by your 7 year old.

But in all seriousness, since we just went earlier this month with our boys aged 8, 6, and 3, we kept their stuff in the stroller. Otherwise, it was just a matter of time until it was lost. In fact, I too should have kept my stuff in the stroller, as I briefly lost my iPhone on ToT and my water bottle never came back with me after Soarin'.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter