• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DS got his acceptance today too with no financials. It doesn't mean they get nothing, that will come later.

most of my daughters financial aid packages came a few weeks after the acceptance letters- except University of Tampa, we got that financial aid package before they even sent her a letter saying she was accepted- that letter just came in the mail today!

My son is going for chemical engineering which is why I remembered that your son might be interested in that. I think we're in the same boat. RIT is not going to give us enough money, and he is really happy with UB anyway. He already has it pretty much in his mind that he'll be in Buffalo next year. RIT just doesn't need to give out the money. My husband and I both graduated from RIT, but it was a lot less expensive in ancient times. :)

OK it's all coming back to me. Your son also interviewed for UB's presidential. How did it go for him? With both our boys, either way, even if they don't get it, they can get the STEM scholarship and agree to work in NYS for 5 years after graduation, plus the Provost Scholarship takes it almost equal to what the Presidential would be. Win-win!!

OK it's all coming back to me. Your son also interviewed for UB's presidential. How did it go for him? With both our boys, either way, even if they don't get it, they can get the STEM scholarship and agree to work in NYS for 5 years after graduation, plus the Provost Scholarship takes it almost equal to what the Presidential would be. Win-win!!

He felt it went well, but there are so many variables on what they could be looking for. He does already have the Provost Scholarship (written confirmation of that just came in the mail, though he had the email a while ago) and is eligible for the STEM scholarship, so we keep telling him not to stress about getting the Presidential Scholarship (although it would be nice). It does make it difficult to justify the expenses at the other schools, but he really liked UB, so he doesn't feel like he's settling or giving up a dream school. Additionally, I grew up in the area, and my parents still live there, so we have a place to stay when dropping off/picking up/visiting.

We just finished our 1st accepted student day at dd's safety. It's a great school but not really right for her. We kind of knew that from the tour we took about 18 months ago but wanted to give it another chance.

Up to Boston next month for another one. Just dd and me for that. It'll be nice getting away with just the 2 of us.

Hopefully they'll be a day in DC in April. That's #1.

Not in the least! I am dreading it. It is like I am losing my best friend- my daughter and I do everything together and boy is this going to stink for me LOL.

It's just me and dd here, the dynamic duo, so it will be very strange. I think it's just the senior year stress that's stressing her so it trickles down to me right now. Those are the times I say, "WHEN are you leaving?" LOL.

Sorry for the multiple posts. I'm catching up after a long hiatus.

Anyone's kid apply for the Coca Cola, Burger king or Elks scholarships? Two kids in my daughters school moved on as Coco Cola Scholars. My daughter just moved up to State in the Elk one but wont know until the end of Feb if she moves on from there. Its just wait wait wait with everything LOL.

My dd applied for the BK scholarship. I completely forgot about that. I believe notifications go out in May? She'll also be applying to a local scholarship and one offered from my union. Oh, and of course various ones she finds on fastweb.

One store- tried on 2 dresses and we have a winner- its a size 2 and has to be altered down to a 00/0 but the dress is only 199.00! Estelles was PACKED - SO many kids in there trying on dresses for prom!

You are extremely lucky. I don't have that kind of luck with my dd. We visited Estelle's over Christmas break. It wasn't packed, but pretty busy with girls trying on dresses for winter formals. Our search continues.

Ugh... It's 2:30 am & I'm sitting beside DS's hospital bed!!! He bought some Kale Chips and didn't realize they had cashews in them!!! He threw up multiple times & his face, lips, and throat started swelling. He was smart enough to buy benadryl and take two, but he drove home instead of to the hospital. Thankfully we have one less than a mile from our house. They have him medicated & he's sleeping now. Hopefully we'll get to go home in a few hours... It was pretty terrifying, but now that the adrenaline has worn off I'm so tired.

Ugh... It's 2:30 am & I'm sitting beside DS's hospital bed!!! He bought some Kale Chips and didn't realize they had cashews in them!!! He threw up multiple times & his face, lips, and throat started swelling. He was smart enough to buy benadryl and take two, but he drove home instead of to the hospital. Thankfully we have one less than a mile from our house. They have him medicated & he's sleeping now. Hopefully we'll get to go home in a few hours... It was pretty terrifying, but now that the adrenaline has worn off I'm so tired.
Oh No! I hope he feels better soon. Nut allergies are not fun.

How scary!! It was good thinking on his part take some benadryl. Who would think there are cashews in kale chips?? I'm glad to hear he is doing well and resting.

On no! I hope he's OK this morning and you're both catching up on some sleep.

That is terrifying! I hope that you both are feeling better now.

As awful as this experience must have been or you and your ds, it's probably best that it happened while he was still living home. Clearly he knew what to do and when he's in college, he will have a recent experience to draw on. Maybe will go directly to the hospital if it happens again. Has he ever had previous hospitalizations due to allergies?

Oh my goodness! I too hope that he is feeling much better this morning. Does he or should he have an epi-pen?

My 11 year old nephew has severe allergies and this year in Middle School had to go to self-carry with his epi-pen. Carrying it in his backpack seemed a good solution until a few weeks ago when he had a reaction after lunch and his backpack was across campus in his classroom. He kept a cool head and ran across campus to get it and was able to take the shot in time. This has caused his parents to look for carry options though that will have it actually on his person at all times.

UT admissions results came out today. He got CAP'd. Not the worst, which would be outright denied, but not the answer we were hoping for. Ugh.

I'm so sorry. I'm unfamiliar with this though. What is CAP'd? Is it similar to being "Blinned" at A&M?

I've heard good things as well. He is thinking about it. They give you one week until the contract becomes available. Pressure.

It's just disheartening that a kid with honors and distinctions out the wazoo could end up in this predicament. A&M offered him a half-tuition scholarship. He may end up taking it.

Your posts are a perfect example of how crazy this whole process is? My nephew was accepted to UT and the Dept. of Nat Science last month. He doesn't have his fin aid package yet. It's his first choice though so he's going regardless.

He was accepted to A&M but offered only a $1,000 scholarship. It all seems so random- With your son being offered a great package from A&M but then not getting an offer at all from UT. The randomness makes it so hard to predict and adds to the stress.

Best wishes!

I'm so sorry. I'm unfamiliar with this though. What is CAP'd? Is it similar to being "Blinned" at A&M?

Your posts are a perfect example of how crazy this whole process is? My nephew was accepted to UT and the Dept. of Nat Science last month. He doesn't have his fin aid package yet. It's his first choice though so he's going regardless.

He was accepted to A&M but offered only a $1,000 scholarship. It all seems so random- With your son being offered a great package from A&M but then not getting an offer at all from UT. The randomness makes it so hard to predict and adds to the stress.

Best wishes!
Yes, it is all so random. A&M courted him and admitted him just a few weeks after he applied. UT drew this process out for almost five months for this crazy, unexpected answer. We also found out kids at his school with no AP courses got in to UT. It makes the whole high school process of "you must take these advanced courses" to get in to UT sound like pure nonsense. His guidance counselor said he was a shoe-in. I think her department needs to review how they advise and prepare these kids for a very secretive, "holistic" admissions process at UT that clearly none of us understand.

That said... we are past our initial anger and shock. He is seriously considering accepting the CAP offer. CAP students will study at one of 6 schools in the UT system. If they achieve a 3.2 gpa and 30 credit hours freshman year, they are automatically admitted to UT as sophomores. I believe that is very similar to A&M's Blinn Team. The main thing is getting past your ego. My kid is very good about that. It could be worse. 30,000 plus applicants were denied outright. He was one of about 800 that got CAP.

I'm not a frequent poster on this thread, but I'm hoping for some advice...slightly off-topic but related nonetheless.

DS will be off to college next year, and DD, three years younger, is already feeling sad about him leaving. They are in school together (freshman and senior) for the first time in 7 years, and they have grown very close this year.

I'm thinking of taking her and one of her friends (also a little sister of a college-bound brother) on a little mini-vacation just before their school year starts, but what other advice might anyone have on helping her with the transition of being the only kid at home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter