Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I am in the process of planning an EXCITING spring break. No, we're no going to WDW. We're going to tour colleges! Yay!
  • We are going to start in Chicago on Monday April 10th for the World Champion Cubs opening day. I have not missed an opening day in over 30 years and I'm certainly not going to miss this one!
  • On Tuesday we drive to Indianapolis to visit Indiana University Purdue University Indiana (IUPUI) where my DD has been accepted. I'm going to arrange a tour in the afternoon.
  • On Wednesday we then head west to Kansas City to visit the University of Kansas where my DD has also been accepted. It's about a 7 hour drive and I'd like to stop at another college on the way. I was thinking about Southern Illinois University in Carbondale or maybe revisit Illinois State where my DD has been accepted. I'll arrange a tour at one of those schools (even though we unofficially toured ISU already).
  • On Thursday we will tour University of Kansas.
  • We will then head north (I think) either to Minneapolis to walk around again and maybe drop into the admissions office and speak to a counselor if I can determine if that may help her chances by showing that level of interest. They will let her know id she's off the waitlist by April 15th. Or, we will head back to Chicago for another Cubs game on Saturday. Along the way we may stop at Iowa State in Ames, IA.
I want to go! This sounds like a great spring break road trip!

Actually, accurate data comes from the school's published common data set or fact sheet.
Here Clemson states for Fall 2016:

FALL 2016 FRESHMAN CLASS

Applied 23,506

Accepted 11,891

Enrolled 3,685

So, for this school year, the acceptance rate was 50.587% or 51%. While they appear to enroll about 30% of their accepted students, that figure has nothing to do with acceptance rate...

Right- Acceptance rate and yield rate are different. Schools accept many more students than the available slots. They accept a number that will yield the class size that they want.

As evidenced by this thread, many accepted students will not attend. Some can't afford the price tag when all is said and done and others got accepted somewhere else that they prefer. No school accepts only the class size that they want.

I am in the process of planning an EXCITING spring break. No, we're no going to WDW. We're going to tour colleges! Yay!
  • We are going to start in Chicago on Monday April 10th for the World Champion Cubs opening day. I have not missed an opening day in over 30 years and I'm certainly not going to miss this one!
  • On Tuesday we drive to Indianapolis to visit Indiana University Purdue University Indiana (IUPUI) where my DD has been accepted. I'm going to arrange a tour in the afternoon.
  • On Wednesday we then head west to Kansas City to visit the University of Kansas where my DD has also been accepted. It's about a 7 hour drive and I'd like to stop at another college on the way. I was thinking about Southern Illinois University in Carbondale or maybe revisit Illinois State where my DD has been accepted. I'll arrange a tour at one of those schools (even though we unofficially toured ISU already).
  • On Thursday we will tour University of Kansas.
  • We will then head north (I think) either to Minneapolis to walk around again and maybe drop into the admissions office and speak to a counselor if I can determine if that may help her chances by showing that level of interest. They will let her know id she's off the waitlist by April 15th. Or, we will head back to Chicago for another Cubs game on Saturday. Along the way we may stop at Iowa State in Ames, IA.

Wow that is a lot! We did Disney last spring break and both got the flu. We are touring colleges in Boston leaving on Sunday and again, we both have the flu. I am going to stop planning trips!! We are two colleges on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. I hope we make it!

Wow that is a lot! We did Disney last spring break and both got the flu. We are touring colleges in Boston leaving on Sunday and again, we both have the flu. I am going to stop planning trips!! We are two colleges on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. I hope we make it!
Everything is so far away with each one is 4-7 hours away from home. We might move IUPUI to a weekend in March and then just drive down to Carbondale from Chicago (it's about 5 1/2 hours).

First of all, for some reason, the abbreviation IUPUI just makes me giggle. :confused3
Also, one of the things that I have been enjoying most about this thread, is all the regional differences. There are people debating the merits of colleges I have never heard of, students participating in activities/ clubs I have never heard of and so on. A lot of it has intrigued me enough that I have sought out more information on some of the topics. :goodvibes

DD received her award letter from U of IL Urbana. She had a very little Merit award offered for civil engineering, nothing more. I had shared earlier in this thread she signed up for her dorm room. She will apply for RA for sophomore year, hoping for that, as it will of course bring down her cost.
She has applied for all scholarship from our area, hoping she will get some of those. Tonight she said, 50 days of school left and she is ready to go to college now but she says she will miss her friends.

She has applied for all scholarship from our area, hoping she will get some of those. Tonight she said, 50 days of school left and she is ready to go to college now but she says she will miss her friends.

My daughter is working on all those local scholarships right now- she has the flu so perfect time to sit around writing essays. The Alumni foundation alone from her school has 46 different scholarships that kids of alumni can apply for- that means 46 essays to write but since I went to that school also she is eligible to apply for each of them. They are all small- 250.00-500.00, some 1,000 but who cares, any little bit helps. Plus those checks gets written directly to the kid they don't send them to the college so they can use them for books, computers, supplies etc.

My daughter is working on all those local scholarships right now- she has the flu so perfect time to sit around writing essays. The Alumni foundation alone from her school has 46 different scholarships that kids of alumni can apply for- that means 46 essays to write but since I went to that school also she is eligible to apply for each of them. They are all small- 250.00-500.00, some 1,000 but who cares, any little bit helps. Plus those checks gets written directly to the kid they don't send them to the college so they can use them for books, computers, supplies etc.

46 apps?? Our school has one app for the vast majority of the local scholarships. There are a few others he has to apply for separately too.

Class rank comes out tomorrow. DS feels confident he's in the top ten, possibly number 8. His brother was number 9 and he's dying to beat him. In the grand scheme of things being top ten doesn't get you anything. It certainly is nice on graduation day when you get to sit up on stage and get special recognition.

We're waiting for a common app for 4 or 5 local scholarships. The counselor told her the bank puts it out. This week she did apply for a Foundation scholarship at her college and the local business women's.

She is loving her Advanced Multimedia class, which is good because that's basically all she'll be doing at college. She redid a school mascot drawing that her teacher needed and got a $25 Visa gift card so she's now a paid graphic artist ;)

46 apps?? Our school has one app for the vast majority of the local scholarships. There are a few others he has to apply for separately too.

Class rank comes out tomorrow. DS feels confident he's in the top ten, possibly number 8. His brother was number 9 and he's dying to beat him. In the grand scheme of things being top ten doesn't get you anything. It certainly is nice on graduation day when you get to sit up on stage and get special recognition.

I wish it was one common app! There are a couple that use the same essay but most of them do not. And one is 1500 words- that is one long essay!! My daughter wants to be in the top 25 so she can be in the local paper LOL. We dont get class rankings until the end of the 3rd quarter and then the final rankings a day or two before graduation. Our most likely valedictorian just got turned down from Johns Hopkins!

If anyone is interested while I was looking tonight I found this one-- its through state farm and you need to have a GPA of 2.50-3.20 to apply for it- https://www.scholarsapply.org/statefarmgoodneighborscholarship/

He made #10! Didn't beat his brother but still made it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter