• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

Do you go to parent teacher conferences? I went to the ones in the fall and debating on this one. I know the chemistry teacher is not able to make conferences since she sent out an email (making a presentation for a fellowship she has this year) plus I just talked to her. She will have had gym for 3 days and no need to talk to teacher even though I normally do since there is no wait. The wait for the ELA and Spanish teacher was just too much for me last time. I may go for the other 3 teachers then check the lines and decide but I have to make sure someone is home for when dd11 gets home.

This is probably going to sound snotty because this is the DIS and people sometimes take things that way, but I don't feel any need to go to DD14's conferences. She's a strong student, very focused, and has never been anything other than well behaved at school. Plus I volunteer a great deal at her school - since it is a private school families have the choice between volunteering or writing a check, and we're not affluent enough to want to write a check on top of what we're already paying in tuition! - so if one of her teachers does need to see me for some reason it is easy enough to arrange it for a planning period, lunch, or before/after school.

Anyone else have kids involved in spring sports? When do your practices start? DD starts softball practice this week! They've been holding pitcher/catcher practices since Nov. so I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I know she didn't expect weekday practices to overlap drama and the play isn't for another month. But she did find out that she's going to be on the varsity team even if we have enough girls to field both varsity and JV (which right now is iffy) because she's the only experienced catcher they have. That got her super-excited (and hit me right in the wallet) because it means she should get both her letters this year. Her school does things a little differently from other schools I'm familiar with - the school initials are C.M. and they earn the "C" for athletics and the "M" for academics. But she knows we plan to get her a letter jacket when she has them both. I thought I'd have another year!

We are still in the midst of winter sports. Spring sports are not allowed to start until after all the state tournaments for all the winter sports happen. I would guess that is sometime in March though I'm not sure of the date. That is not to say that informal practicing doesn't happen, but they can't require kids to go to baseball practices when they are still busy playing basketball.

Oh and there is no such thing as a letter jacket here anymore. My DD is a senior and has a letter but it is collecting dust somewhere in her room. In fact when the coach was giving them out she even made a comment about "I don't know why we still give out these letters when the kids don't have anywhere to put them now".

My son doesn't play spring HS sports but I know that the baseball team is doing workouts and training, but captain's practices only right now. I don't know what the official date that they're allowed to have coaches present, but I don't think it's for at least another month or so.

We bought our son a letter jacket, figuring at least he would get 4 years out of it. He was thrilled to get it, but then says that few kids wear them to school, so he's worn his like twice since Christmas.

Anyone else have kids involved in spring sports? When do your practices start? DD starts softball practice this week!
DS is planning to go out for track this spring. It's a no-cut sport at the school and two seasons of school sports fulfill your PE requirement as well, freeing up your day for other classes. Conditioning sessions start tonight.

Her school does things a little differently from other schools I'm familiar with - the school initials are C.M. and they earn the "C" for athletics and the "M" for academics.
I like that idea. Ours also has 2 initials, and could do the same thing... but I don't think they do. Letters are for varsity athletics only. I know DS really wants one, but I don't know what his chances are.

As I mentioned earlier though, he didn't make the ice hockey team (even JV). He's planning to try again next year, but even if he makes JV I'm not sure what his chances are to ever make varsity. The team even cut several seniors this year who have played their freshman/soph/junior years. (The coach decided they weren't varsity material and didn't want to "waste" JV spots on seniors. That seems really harsh to me, but apparently the hockey team is *that* competitive. Sigh.) I'm not sure how varsity letters work for track. He ran in middle school and, like hockey, was reasonably good (maybe top 1/3 of the MS team) but not a stand-out. So I don't know what his chances are for lettering in track either.

I think an academic letter is a nice idea for recognizing the kids who excel in that area.

As I mentioned earlier though, he didn't make the ice hockey team (even JV). He's planning to try again next year, but even if he makes JV I'm not sure what his chances are to ever make varsity. The team even cut several seniors this year who have played their freshman/soph/junior years. (The coach decided they weren't varsity material and didn't want to "waste" JV spots on seniors. That seems really harsh to me, but apparently the hockey team is *that* competitive. Sigh.) I'm not sure how varsity letters work for track. He ran in middle school and, like hockey, was reasonably good (maybe top 1/3 of the MS team) but not a stand-out. So I don't know what his chances are for lettering in track either.

I know with soccer, at least from what I've heard, seniors are not allowed to be on a JV roster. It will be interesting next season, because there are at least 3 or 4 Juniors this year who played exclusively on the JV team. They just weren't very good. I don't know if they'll cut them or roster them on varsity with no intentions of playing them (I think they can roster up to 22, just make some of them 'inactive' for games).

Track at our school has a points-based system to determine letters. It's some combination of points scored in meets plus personal bests achieved.

We are still in the midst of winter sports. Spring sports are not allowed to start until after all the state tournaments for all the winter sports happen. I would guess that is sometime in March though I'm not sure of the date. That is not to say that informal practicing doesn't happen, but they can't require kids to go to baseball practices when they are still busy playing basketball.

Oh and there is no such thing as a letter jacket here anymore. My DD is a senior and has a letter but it is collecting dust somewhere in her room. In fact when the coach was giving them out she even made a comment about "I don't know why we still give out these letters when the kids don't have anywhere to put them now".

Letter jackets are still big here, but they weren't where I grew up. My mom had my letters framed in a shadowbox style frame with some of my medals (I lettered in swim and band) rather than getting me a jacket she knew I wouldn't wear.

I don't think these practices are "official". Our rules are a little different because we're part of an all-private-school league so the state athletic association rules don't apply, but I know the coach isn't penalizing girls who are busy with basketball, mock trial or winter play for being unavailable. That's one nice thing about a small school - the coaches and club leaders embrace a level of flexibility that kids in larger schools don't get because most kids are juggling several activities over the course of the school year.

I know with soccer, at least from what I've heard, seniors are not allowed to be on a JV roster. It will be interesting next season, because there are at least 3 or 4 Juniors this year who played exclusively on the JV team. They just weren't very good. I don't know if they'll cut them or roster them on varsity with no intentions of playing them (I think they can roster up to 22, just make some of them 'inactive' for games).

Track at our school has a points-based system to determine letters. It's some combination of points scored in meets plus personal bests achieved.

Perhaps that's the situation with hockey then. I knew that seniors "couldn't be" on JV but never got a clear answer on whether that was the coach's rule, a school rule, or a state athletics rule. (My son was really shocked a couple of the cuts. One kid is actually quite a good player, and an A student, and was the JV captain last year.) I've heard some not-so-great things about the head coach though -- and how it's past time for him to retire -- so maybe it's a good thing that we're not "in the mix" anyhow.

No word on soccer practice yet for DD14, but basketball is still going on. Track is going to start having unofficial weight lifting Wednesday, but that's the other DD. Both girls have been running at the fitness center when they're able. Play practice really cut into that.

I have no idea how soccer is going to go. She's only played at the Fitness Center, not on the travel team. However, the coach is the same for the Fitness Center and the school and he's eager to have DD come in. He wanted her to be a manager last year. Another girl told DD he was talking her up to the team as a great incoming freshman. I don't know how good she might be since her prior experience was mostly playing with kids 2 or more years younger. She thought she saw JV games on the concessions schedule, so maybe she'll have a chance if they make a JV team. We have to pull girls from 3+ schools (last year they came from 11 towns) to make one consolidated team- the local news did a story on them last year.

I do love having my kids in a small school- no cuts, and everyone gets a chance to play at least a little. Mostly they're just glad to have kids going out for sports! Also glad it's not TOO small- the girls track team in the next school south doesn't even have enough girls to make a relay.

Perhaps that's the situation with hockey then. I knew that seniors "couldn't be" on JV but never got a clear answer on whether that was the coach's rule, a school rule, or a state athletics rule. (My son was really shocked a couple of the cuts. One kid is actually quite a good player, and an A student, and was the JV captain last year.) I've heard some not-so-great things about the head coach though -- and how it's past time for him to retire -- so maybe it's a good thing that we're not "in the mix" anyhow.
There can't be juniors on any JV team here - I guess I just thought that was the case everywhere. Ds17 skipped JV and went right to varsity as a sophomore soccer player, but his friend made varsity as a senior, and pretty much sat the bench.

There can't be juniors on any JV team here - I guess I just thought that was the case everywhere.

It's very possible. I have no idea. (Although I'm pretty sure JUNIORS can be on JV. Not so sure about seniors.)

My freshman is my oldest (and my friends all have younger children... or non-athletes). I have no idea where to find this stuff out!

And heaven knows I was never an athlete, nor was my husband. Another reason that I think an academic letter is a nice idea. I might have gotten one! ;-)

Ugh, I was planning on drivers ed this summer and now I find out that it is the first two weeks of August. We have family camp the second week of August and really do not want to miss that. I checked on the school to the northeast of us and it is the month of June- DD is going on a choir trip and then to WDW. We have mid-June through the first week of August with nothing going on but no classes nearby during those weeks. I have an email in to the school northwest of us- hoping they'll have something but it's the weekend so I'm sure I won't hear back till Monday.

The next session is October and it is evenings 6-9 Tu & Th. I would so much rather have her get it done over the summer than spend school nights running to town. And that's when the practices for the musical will be too. She may have to choose drivers ed over the musical (it's supposed to be The Music Man, which she is NOT happy about, but theater is her thing).

Our high school gives Drivers Ed during the school day in place of gym class. I hope you can find one for during the Summer.

Ugh, I was planning on drivers ed this summer and now I find out that it is the first two weeks of August. We have family camp the second week of August and really do not want to miss that. I checked on the school to the northeast of us and it is the month of June- DD is going on a choir trip and then to WDW. We have mid-June through the first week of August with nothing going on but no classes nearby during those weeks. I have an email in to the school northwest of us- hoping they'll have something but it's the weekend so I'm sure I won't hear back till Monday.

The next session is October and it is evenings 6-9 Tu & Th. I would so much rather have her get it done over the summer than spend school nights running to town. And that's when the practices for the musical will be too. She may have to choose drivers ed over the musical (it's supposed to be The Music Man, which she is NOT happy about, but theater is her thing).

We're having the same problem. DD has 4H camps in June and July, then a marine bio camp at the end of July, and a college visit trip to NY in late Aug. We're trying to figure out when we can squeeze drivers' training in around all of this and so far haven't had any success. And going during the school year doesn't work because it is offered right after school at the neighborhood public school and because of the difference in the school day between the two, the driver's ed class starts a half-hour before DD's school day ends. So we're still looking for a summer session that'll work, even if it means driving a little further to get her there.

our twins don't turn 15 til August but I heard that they may be able to take Drivers Ed a month before their 15th, so I am hoping for that. Cuz once school and football starts, they won't have any chance til probably January to take the class, IF they decide to NOT wrestle, then it will be March. Plus having the permit in August will give them a ton of driving time before their 16th, they need it, too many crazy drivers out there these days!

I think my niece took the classroom part during February break. (Of course, that's when we usually go to Florida, so we'd still have to rearrange stuff if DS does that.) I don't think there's ever a perfect time.

We are 6 months overdue on getting DD's permit. The local place only does it on Fridays & that's the same day as her guitar lessons which she refuses to skip. We had a day off school a month ago, and the testing center was closed for Lincoln's Birthday - not a holiday in this state. Ugh.

Going to try to take her to STL the day after Easter.

Oh, and just a little brag since it may be the last time I can say it - DD currently has a class ranking of 1 as of the close of 1st semester. She's currently carrying a borderline grade in "Foods" - a class she took for fun - so, she may not be #1 much longer LOL

Oh, and just a little brag since it may be the last time I can say it - DD currently has a class ranking of 1 as of the close of 1st semester. She's currently carrying a borderline grade in "Foods" - a class she took for fun - so, she may not be #1 much longer LOL

That's great!

Class rank at DD's school is so ridiculously competitive that I don't think I'll ever be able to say that, not even momentarily. She made Principal's List (all As) for first semester... but so did about 10 other kids in her class. One A- and a 3.97 GPA doesn't even put her in the top five! It came as a bit of a shock/disappointment to her but I keep telling her that not all of those kids will keep it up for four years. The standard freshman-year track has two non-academic electives (gym & art) and she opted to split those up to take Japanese instead. Some of the other kids will likely end up with a few A-minuses too when they're taking their foreign language alongside higher math and/or AP courses (which is why my DD wanted to get it done freshman & sophomore years, when the workload is somewhat lighter).

DD14 also has a rank of 1 as she had a 4.0 for first semester. I saw in the newspaper that 7 of her class had 4.0. As they get more semesters under their belt I'm sure they won't all stay there. I don't know if DD can or not but she's sure going to try.

I actually got an email this morning from the Superintendent of the other school about drivers ed. He said to keep checking back as the dates hadn't been set but he was going to try to get them to pin it down this week. So I said thanks and casually mentioned that anytime from last week of June through first week of August would be great...this is actually the school district we live in but the kids are open enrolled to the town where I work. So if she gets into this class, her sister will have to be available to get her there because I'll be going the opposite direction. Unless it coincides with Grandpa's daily coffee time near the school, then he can take her. Not sure what DD17 will do about a summer job but she needs off for 2 vacations and to drive her sister!

DD just sent me a YouTube link to her English project. They had to "modernize" Romeo & Juliet and film it. Romeo is an overdramatic emo, and Juliet is a redneck LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter