• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

Midterms were last week here - so they just started 2nd semester on Monday. Grades for 1st semester should be out in a day or two. Sounds like my son did pretty well overall, but said he struggled with his AP Calc midterm. Hoping for a B in that class, but it might be a B-. He found out he was accepted into AP Physics for next year (he's taking Honors Physics this year) - the class is only going to be like 6 or 7 kids. He is trying to decide on whether he wants to take AP Gov't next year or not. He's only taken AP classes in STEM courses so far, but he really does like History, so we'll see.

The school is holding a Junior College Night tonight, with admissions directors from local schools on hand, so that hopefully will be interesting.

Starting to put together a list of schools and hopefully setting up some official visits. So far, looking at Univ. of Cincy, Miami OH and possibly Xavier on our trip to Cincy in March. Looking to set something up with Carnegie Mellon this spring as well, plus local visits to Case Western and U. of Akron. He's changing his mind again on majors - back to Mechanical Engineering (from Comp. Sci.)

I forget everyone else is on such a different schedule from us. Second semester started on 1/3 here. They're meeting with kids over the next week or so to commit on schedules for next year. We've talked about what my daughter wants to do next year, and it's going to be a very ambitious schedule. This will probably not be a final schedule though. I can almost guarantee there will be schedule conflicts and a last minute scramble as school starts in the fall.

The biggest surprise is that after leaving Spanish for French this year, she's going back for Spanish IV next year.

Our semester started about 10 days ago. I was happy to see DD's GPA did not go down due to AP Lit. Never doing another AP class.

DD is going to have a fairly light load next year which is perfectly fine with me. She is considering taking French online. A couple friends are taking it this year and love it. Spanish class comes easy for her and she's intrigued by French. She might take Intro to Theater online for college credit. No math or science necessary so she's not taking them.

Our semester started about 10 days ago. I was happy to see DD's GPA did not go down due to AP Lit. Never doing another AP class.

DD is going to have a fairly light load next year which is perfectly fine with me. She is considering taking French online. A couple friends are taking it this year and love it. Spanish class comes easy for her and she's intrigued by French. She might take Intro to Theater online for college credit. No math or science necessary so she's not taking them.
I guess it depends on where she is applying to college, but we’ve always been told not make senior year easy, as colleges want to see them having same type of schedule they’ve had all along. Also make sure to check college requirements regarding how many years of each subject they need.

I wish DD would take it just a little easy next year. I've read the advice not to make senior year a blow-off, but I think there's some middle ground to be found between that and a loaded schedule of almost all honors and AP classes! She only needs two classes to meet the graduation requirements, but she's not easing up at all. She'll have two math and two science classes, three of them AP and one honors IIRC (might be four AP - I can't remember which statistics is), plus an AP lit class. But she sees it as an "easy" schedule because she'll have a regular religion class (this year she's in honors philosophy) and a guided-study art class.

I'm encouraging her to rethink taking statistics, just to give herself a free hour, since she'll have five years of math even without it. Seniors are allowed to have one free period as a study hall and I don't think that would be the worst thing in the world for her given the rest of her course load.

In prom news...DD and I were vegging on the couch Saturday afternoon while she was procrastinating finishing some homework and Driver's ed. She said hey mom, I am pinteresting prom dresses. I said why don't you do some research on places you'd like to go shopping. She found a place about 40 minutes north of us that had great reviews online--many people commented that the prices were way better than expected. I said why don't we go now? Two hours later we were paying for a prom dress. The first one she tried on looked great on her and went well with the "Secret Garden" theme. Perfect length and needs no alteration. About $200 plus tax--yay. She tried on a few more, but we ended up with the first one. She already has shoes that go well with it. She was super happy and I was too! Whew, glad that was easy!

She is going with the boyfriend. They have been dating for about a year and a half.
Last year, when he was a junior and she was a sophomore they were not going to go to prom, then on the LAST day to buy tickets, two weeks before prom, they decided to go. OMG that was a nightmare trying to find a dress and accessories so fast. We were both exhausted after going through so many stores. I did not want to do that again. The only good thing was that since it was soooo late in prom season, I found her dress on the 70% off rack and it ended up costing only $80 dollars.

In prom news...DD and I were vegging on the couch Saturday afternoon while she was procrastinating finishing some homework and Driver's ed. She said hey mom, I am pinteresting prom dresses. I said why don't you do some research on places you'd like to go shopping. She found a place about 40 minutes north of us that had great reviews online--many people commented that the prices were way better than expected. I said why don't we go now? Two hours later we were paying for a prom dress. The first one she tried on looked great on her and went well with the "Secret Garden" theme. Perfect length and needs no alteration. About $200 plus tax--yay. She tried on a few more, but we ended up with the first one. She already has shoes that go well with it. She was super happy and I was too! Whew, glad that was easy!

Awesome! Secret Garden sounds cool. We're doing Paris. I'd love to find a place with dresses in that price range- we have a Dillards with a smallish selection, and then the boutiques with $400+. We do have two stores near us that are having close-outs right now but DD has her dress. She did get her shoes recently, they were $12 at Payless and fabulous. Now that we know she's doing heels we can have Grandma hem the dress. It's a smidge too big in the chest but due to the beading I think we'll just try padding it instead of taking it in :)

DD19 might actually need a dress- my girls' friend group still has a boy leftover without a date, so she might come back from college to go with him. Also, she spent part of senior prom puking so she'd like a do-over, and, if she goes then the main 4 kids of their church camp group will all be there so it will be fun to have all 4 of them at a prom together. She tried on her junior year dress and it's just a little tight. She has her eye on one on a FB swap but waiting to get officially asked. We could try the close-out stores too but IDK how much they'll be picked over by the time she knows it's official.

No prom for juniors here (she’ll go to her boyfriends who is a senior at a all bots prep school), but they have a junior formal. This will be the first year she gets to go to a store and try on dresses, in the past she was too short and skinny, and there was nothing she could try on. She is so excited, I hope she finds something. We have a lot of local stores, shouldn’t have to drive more that 15 minutes. She might get dd21’s last prom dress altered, it’s probably a size 2, but although dd21 is only 2 inches taller, her figure is much different, very hour glass vs. tween boy. We might have to get some boobs sewn in.

Stores are starting to get in prom dresses in, and so far, not too interested in any. She's tried some on, but none were she happy with. She's having the opposite boob issue. We don't want to look tight or top heavy. She's also on the petite side, so we usually have to have alterations, though I have been lucky and the dance dresses she's worn, we had very little to alter. I think she has shoes. We got a great pair at our local mall. They all want those sky high heels.

Mid Terms are done. Happy Friday for her.

She hasn't talked much about what taking next year, but won't be taking German anymore. At least she has 6 years of it, so that should be fine. With more AP classes, I am sure she will have a good load and be busy.

My DD has decided to pass on Court Warming but says she's going to prom with her girlfriends. We definitely need to get out shopping.

Course selection is officially under way. In addition to Spanish IV she has decided to go onto French II. And to think about a year ago I was worried she might not have enough foreign language credits.

In other developments, she's bringing home the fake baby for a weekend in March. Ugh. I might have to leave for the weekend. A fake baby is like all the down sides of a real baby without all the sweet stuff!

Wow, all this talk about prom! We still have to get through snowcoming (winter formal) first. The dance is in two weeks and we JUST headed up to the little consignment boutique DD likes to do some dress shopping this afternoon. After trying on no less than 10 dresses that looked really good except for showing WAY too much up top, she finally did find one she liked. Which is great for me because it means I don't have to find time to go shopping at the "real" stores (30+ miles away at the mall).

Prom isn't until May and I'm not sure she's given it even 10 seconds of thought yet. Her 'date' for winter formal is her best friend, who used to go to their school but transferred after freshman year, since for the minor dances there's not a lot of pairing off. For prom, though, I think she might want an actual male date for a change.

My DD has decided to pass on Court Warming but says she's going to prom with her girlfriends. We definitely need to get out shopping.

Course selection is officially under way. In addition to Spanish IV she has decided to go onto French II. And to think about a year ago I was worried she might not have enough foreign language credits.

In other developments, she's bringing home the fake baby for a weekend in March. Ugh. I might have to leave for the weekend. A fake baby is like all the down sides of a real baby without all the sweet stuff!

I am so glad they don't have to do the fake baby in DD school. That seems like torture. We are "fostering" a puppy, and I had forgotten how much work babies are!!! Though come to think of it, the puppy has probably had the exact same "don't have a kid" deterrent on her as the fake baby would. Haha

I am so glad they don't have to do the fake baby in DD school. That seems like torture. We are "fostering" a puppy, and I had forgotten how much work babies are!!! Though come to think of it, the puppy has probably had the exact same "don't have a kid" deterrent on her as the fake baby would. Haha
The class is an elective. She actually chose to take it knowing full well what it entailed. :faint: She knows she's on her own. I don't babysit fake babies. :cutie:

She'd be all over that puppy though. I'm the lone holdout at our house and have apparently deprived my kids of a meaningful dog relationship for their entire childhoods (all 3 of them, as far back as they can remember). Boo hoo, mean mom!

For those who have a junior prom, is it combined with the senior prom? Our school isn’t that big, but there are over 300 in each class. Each class fundraises like crazy for 4 years to help with senior year costs, including keeping prom costs reasonable (ds19’s was only $50 a ticket, which was amazing). The junior formal is held at the HS, $50, obviously not 5be same as prom, which is held at a fancy wedding banquet hall. Both include dinner.

For those who have a junior prom, is it combined with the senior prom? Our school isn’t that big, but there are over 300 in each class. Each class fundraises like crazy for 4 years to help with senior year costs, including keeping prom costs reasonable (ds19’s was only $50 a ticket, which was amazing). The junior formal is held at the HS, $50, obviously not 5be same as prom, which is held at a fancy wedding banquet hall. Both include dinner.
Prom here is a combined affair. They all know each other and have intermingled for classes, sports and clubs, so want to be with each other anyway. I don't think they go overboard with fundraising, but tickets are still cheap. But I don't think it includes dinner. I think kids just go out somewhere on their own ahead of time.

I guess I'll find out for sure soon enough. Neither of our boys went to prom so this will be our first exposure to it.

We have a large school district, so there is a senior and junior prom. No mixing, though I am sure some couples, and some friends, go to both. Junior Prom is in May, Senior Prom, the first week of June. Our proms don't include dinner, so most kids do go out for a local dinner, usually, in groups. Prom tickets are not cheap, but not all go.

There is a Sweetheart Dance coming up soon, but told it was lame, and she and none of her friends are going. That's fine with me. I think she's going to Junior Prom, but, mom, it's not even close yet. Yeah, I will be last minute running around. I can already tell.

We have a large school district, so there is a senior and junior prom. No mixing, though I am sure some couples, and some friends, go to both. Junior Prom is in May, Senior Prom, the first week of June. Our proms don't include dinner, so most kids do go out for a local dinner, usually, in groups. Prom tickets are not cheap, but not all go.

There is a Sweetheart Dance coming up soon, but told it was lame, and she and none of her friends are going. That's fine with me. I think she's going to Junior Prom, but, mom, it's not even close yet. Yeah, I will be last minute running around. I can already tell.
Our junior formal sounds similar to your junior prom. I actually think our formal is getting out of hand, girls are wearing long dresses instead of short. The school continues to hold it in the gym, while the elementary schools and middle schools hold their annual end of year dances at restaurants, or even banquet halls.

One combined event.

One combined event.
Does it include dinner? Our has dinner with assigned seating (the kids arrange the tables, plus the party buses). I can’t image the venue size needed for two classes, plus dates (who can be from different classes or schools, different schools need a form filled out by that school’s principal).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter