Panic Attacks on Rides?

O.K big time panic attack sufferer here...I never have had a panic attack due to a ride mine come when I am sitting safetly in my house watching T.V..the last one came when I was watching Annie so the programs I watch have nothing to do with it..they come from left field......
Anyway now that all of these people are getting ill before during and after riding some of the rides I am alittle scared. I completely know that these rides are safe I have been on them probably 101 times alright I confess TOT 100 times Mission Space only once (not my fav. ride). It's the whole "unknown condition thing" that worries me. I just hope now when I go down I don't throw myself into an attack worrying about what if I have an undiagnosed condition that is brought on by the ride type of thing....Anyone else feel that way....my doctor gave me the clear that I am a healthy 30 yr old but anxiety brings out the best worrier in me...... :earboy2: :earboy2:

Wow, its wierd to see that there are a lot of people that go through this. I was under the impression that only few people get it. I am glad to hear that it is something that I can learn to control with a little bit of help!

I started getting symptoms of anxiety when I hear (and still do...) a lot of bass in music. It would make me start hyperventilating and flustered and I felt like I couldn't breath. That was right after the birth of my now 4yr old DS. Now just recently, I would say 3 months ago, after a visit to the doctor, I told him I was feeling uneasy and wasn't sleeping well and that I overall didn't feel well. He gave me EFFEXOR. I took it in the evening and at 3am that night I had my first full blown panic attack. Oh my god, I thought I was going to die. It was horrible. I went to the ER. My husband knew from the beginning that it was a PA so he was able to calm me down. I kept telling him I was having a heart attack and he kept telling me "NO, YOUR NOT" and would tell me the reasons why. He was great. After running a whole bunch of exams the doc told me I was fine. That made me feel better. A lot of things people have commented to help overcome is very true. Avoid caffeine, try to get rest. I noticed that if I am really tired, my anxiety kicks in. Facing the fear and going through the fear itself, dealing with it helps me too. Taking deep, long breaths and extending your stomach when doing it, is great too. I've avoided trying to go to a counselor about this but my last bad attack was in coming home on the airplane. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs and not being able to made it worse so I need to see someone so maybe I can get "my crutch" for situations like those.

Thanks for hearing me out guys, its great to know there are people who can relate and your experiences has helped me so I wanted to share mine;) ! Best wishes for all and feel free to PM me if you feel like talking more about this...

disneyfan3 said:
The hardest thing to do is to make yourself go back to where you had your attack. It is very healing though.

I agree 100%

I has my first panic attack on The Great Movie Ride. But I know I will overcome them one day...

Glad to know I am not alone! Good luck to everyone! bye

:grouphug: this is enough to make me cry, knowing that I am not the only one who has this reaction at The Happiest Place on Earth. Bridges trigger some anxiety, but bridges with water, and crowds :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: I know that a major trigger for me is the feeling of being trapped, like being inside a booth in a restaurant, in a crowd, etc. I had my first panic attack on the bridge by Crystal Palace on the 4th of July--all my triggers rolled into one! :earseek: I just try to avoid those things, if talking myself down doesn't work.

As for Soarin', I have no idea what was on that screen, since I shut my eyes tight when we started to go up :teeth: I kept my eyes closed until I felt the ride stop moving--it was WDW and fireworks. That was the end of the ride... :blush: But no panic attack! :)

spereira said:
O.K big time panic attack sufferer here...I never have had a panic attack due to a ride mine come when I am sitting safetly in my house watching T.V..the last one came when I was watching Annie so the programs I watch have nothing to do with it..they come from left field......
Anyway now that all of these people are getting ill before during and after riding some of the rides I am alittle scared. I completely know that these rides are safe I have been on them probably 101 times alright I confess TOT 100 times Mission Space only once (not my fav. ride). It's the whole "unknown condition thing" that worries me. I just hope now when I go down I don't throw myself into an attack worrying about what if I have an undiagnosed condition that is brought on by the ride type of thing....Anyone else feel that way....my doctor gave me the clear that I am a healthy 30 yr old but anxiety brings out the best worrier in me...... :earboy2: :earboy2:

I feel like I wrote this quote-except I'll be 30 in October :flower: and I will not ride ToT or Mission Space, I know my limits :blush:

I'm not only worrying about me-I have 5 others in my party and I am worrying about them. It's nuts :crazy:

I'll send you the zen place and you send it to me :rotfl:

We'll get through it-I'm just concentrating on having happy thoughts :earboy2:

Good Luck

[ I took it in the evening and at 3am that night I had my first full blown panic attack. Oh my god, I thought I was going to die. It was horrible. I went to the ER. My husband knew from the beginning that it was a PA so he was able to calm me down. I kept telling him I was having a heart attack and he kept telling me "NO, YOUR NOT" and would tell me the reasons why. He was great. After running a whole bunch of exams the doc told me I was fine. That made me feel better. A lot of things people have commented to help overcome is very true. Avoid caffeine, try to get rest. I noticed that if I am really tired, my anxiety kicks in. Facing the fear and going through the fear itself, dealing with it helps me too. Taking deep, long breaths and extending your stomach when doing it, is great too. I've avoided trying to go to a counselor about this but my last bad attack was in coming home on the airplane. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs and not being able to made it worse so I need to see someone so maybe I can get "my crutch" for situations like those.

Thanks for hearing me out guys, its great to know there are people who can relate and your experiences has helped me so I wanted to share mine;) ! Best wishes for all and feel free to PM me if you feel like talking more about this...[/QUOTE]

I'm with you-I've been to the hospital twice with a full blown attack. Like your husband, mine knows all the signs and tries to talk me down. When I had my first big attack (while being in the middle of watching Lion King on Broadway) I found that talking with my dad (a previous sufferer) helped. Knowing that I wasn't crazy and that I wasn't dying helped a great deal. I still get mini ones, too much caffeine day, not enough sleep, at the end of a very stressful situation (funny they don't happen when I'm stressed-they happen when I am trying to relax :confused3 ) I too am heisitate to seek a therapist or counselor. I feel like I should be able to handle this myself.

Best of luck to everyone :grouphug:

Patrizella..funny you say you had your first at The Lion King on Broadway I had my first real full blown one at the musical Sunset Boulevard at the Minskoff Theatre. I was with my sister and my leg started going numb..so of course I figured that I am having a stroke..i jumped from my chair and was actually lying in the lobby on the floor crying and shaking..I called my husband and made him drive from CT to NYC to get me...crazy thing is once I knew he was on his way I relaxed and finished watching the show..I made him wait outside until the show was over. I was so scared..thank goodness I had an aisle seat.... :earseek: :earseek:

sitting here reading all your stories makes me feel like this is a club. we should get a certain colored shirt and say: hello! i suffer from anxiety attacks. do you? it would be cool to put faces to all you pa suffers. here i always thought i was alone but now i know i'm not.

It really is amazing how many of us suffer from this....The doctors advised me that it is a very common problem but my goodness common or not I would like it gone please.......

hello...i also sufferf from panic attacks.. in cars and isolated paces and also bridges....just wondering if anyone has stayed at POR? I hear there are bridges there to walk over and im starting to get nervous that i picked a bad hotel..help :confused3

:sad2: karma 3939 I cant think about riding soaring, no way and not enough xanax..mission space is out of the question as well. I couldnt even watch the news of the shuttle taking off...felt like i couldnt breathe..i cant imagaine riding mission space.ever

If you have panic attacks only at certain times....ask your doctor to prescribe you

ATIVAN

I can not tell you the wonders of this....If I know I am going into a situation where I may get extra anxiety....(flying) I take one in the morning and I am good for the day

I got my first panic attack which started them from sitting too close in a movie theatre (front row)

Something from doing that triggered panic attacks...Havent had one in a while

Does antivan work like xanax only stronger. Do you get any feeling from it? Like tiredness or lightheadedness? People have told me that xanax just takes away the butterflies in their stomach where they don't feel so nervous. Does antivan make you feel a little high? How long does it take to wear off? Thanks for you replies. :wave:

I just wanted to chime in with a suggestion. I'm not a medicator. It's been 30 years since my first panic attack and being put on medication caused me additional panic. I was always wondering if I could function normally without the meds. I know medications have gotten better over the years and think it's a great tool for those who need it. It just didn't suit me. What works for me and has for years is a technique called square breathing. It's really amazing. I can head off an attack in an instant. I did a google search and found this web site with a simple explanation of the technique.

http://www.womans-work.com/stress_busters.htm

About the only time I need it now is when boarding a plane and it relieves the anxiety quickly. You do not need to be sitting with your feet on the floor for it to work. You can do it driving, standing in line, watching tv, wherever you need relief. Give it a try next time you feel anxious.

:goodvibes
CarolynNC said:
I just wanted to chime in with a suggestion. I'm not a medicator. It's been 30 years since my first panic attack and being put on medication caused me additional panic. I was always wondering if I could function normally without the meds. I know medications have gotten better over the years and think it's a great tool for those who need it. It just didn't suit me. What works for me and has for years is a technique called square breathing. It's really amazing. I can head off an attack in an instant. I did a google search and found this web site with a simple explanation of the technique.

http://www.womans-work.com/stress_busters.htm

About the only time I need it now is when boarding a plane and it relieves the anxiety quickly. You do not need to be sitting with your feet on the floor for it to work. You can do it driving, standing in line, watching tv, wherever you need relief. Give it a try next time you feel anxious.

Excellent suggestion! :cool1:

Any type of controlled breathing or other biofeedback technique can be a Godsend. It helps to practice before you actually need it, though, ;) so don't wait till you feel one coming on to try it.

BTW, it dosen't have to be an either/or decision. Even if you are using medication, you can add these strategies and you just might find you need less of the drug to deal with the attack. I am at a point where I only use Xanax when flying and take the smallest dose. Other than that, biofeedback works great for me. :flower:

disneyfan3 said:
Does antivan work like xanax only stronger. Do you get any feeling from it? Like tiredness or lightheadedness? People have told me that xanax just takes away the butterflies in their stomach where they don't feel so nervous. Does antivan make you feel a little high? How long does it take to wear off? Thanks for you replies. :wave:

AtiVan is much BETTER than Xanax in the fact that you only have to take one, and you can take it only when you "need" it...You do not have to continously take it...I got absolutely no odd feeling, or any feeling from Ativan.....It makes you feel VERY calm, without any type of dopeyness

Ask your doctor about it...It's a small small small pill.....It works WONDERS

Glad I found this thread!! I have been having panic attacks since 1992. Your stories are great to hear as I can relate to so many! I too have freaked out while waiting in lines and on rides. The worst was mission space!! I felt so helpless being stuck in that capsule and not even able to close my eyes (as they say it's effect is worse if you close your eyes). I actually had a a PA on Shrek at Universal, couldnt wait to get out of there!! I am looking for some advice as we are planning a trip to Disney in January of 2006 to celebrate my birthday and I am already having anxiety due to all the recent happenings at Disney World and DisneyLand (Mission Space, TOT). I keep thinking that I have an undiagnosed condition and when I go on a ride something will happen. I am nervous that I am not going to enjoy my trip and avoid everything!! Any suggestions would be appreciated as I want to be able to go on my favorite ride TOT but I am already anticipating that I will have an attack and leave or freak out during the ride.

I too have panic attacks,and only ONE on a ride and it wasn't in DW! I am guessing,in my mind,I feel VERY safe in DW so I assume that is why for ME they haven't happened at Disney.They are however scary enough just going through,but on a ride??? TERRIFYING!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter