Panic Attacks on Rides?

whitneyv

Earning My Ears
Hello DIsers!

I started having severe panic attacks approx. 5 years ago - within the last few years thay have really subsided - now, I only have a few "severe" attacks a year. I have not been to a theme park since this problem started and I am a little hesitant. I was always a thrill rider - you name it, I'd do it! But now I am a little afraid that some of the rides might trigger an attack. I really want to have a great time (it's my husbands first trip!) so any suggestions that you have are truly appreciated.

I don't know if there are any other disers that suffer or have suffered from this but if there are - I'd love to hear your opinions!

Thanks in advance.... :confused3 <- me being nervous and confused about the rides

I have had them in the past also. Only ride that has triggered it after going on everything at Universal, Busch Gardens and the Disney parks would be Mission Space. As soon as that door closed and the screen popped right in front of my face in that confined area, it was torture until I got out. Once was enough for me. Only ride I will never attempt again. It was my fault ignoring all the warnings before boarding though, just never had a ride get to me like that though.

So far, I've only had panic attacks on air planes which I now avoid with a little dose of Xanax. :guilty:

My advice to you would be to start out slow and ride something that is outdoors and short. Maybe Aladdins Magic Carpet ride, then something inside like Pirates of the Caribbean. Ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, it takes you in and around space mountain so you can check it out. Ask lots of questions about any ride you are interested in. A lot of us can take you through the rides step by step. Sometimes, while I'm waiting in line I count seconds from when the ride takes off until it comes back to see how long a ride lasts if I'm nervous. Then when I get on the ride, I count seconds and know when it's about to be over. By the way, Rockin Roller Coaster is 45 seconds ;)

ToT I once had a panic attack on it as we got in our elevator and began moving up and across in place for the drop zone. It was awful, though I conquered my fear and now enjoy the ride though I still get that nervous anticipation. :crazy: :earseek:

I had a small attack on the huge slide in Blizzard Beach, but I once I went down it was over in seconds. It was when I was third in line and I started to get that feeling, but I'm glad I did it.

I would assume that for the most part you may know some of your major triggers. I will out myself here and admit that I also suffer from panic attacks. In my case I have been able to identify what will set them off often. I can say that I've never had a ride do this to me. Well once I felt the startings of one when we were stuck on Spaceship Earth for almost 30 minutes. I began feeling a lot of anxiety over not knowing why we were stuck. If you are afraid a ride may set off an attack-- I'd start small and go on from there. See how you react. If you are really concerned you may want to speak with your physician.

Another sufferer of panic attacks here lol! :D

I about passed out the first time I rode Splash Mountain, just anticipating "the big one"....

I know what it's like to be so afraid on something that's supposed to be so enjoyable. Like kilee said, i have lots of trouble when rides close down for a long time. I was stuck on TT for quite a while and I was really freaking out, I was drenched in sweat and my heart was going a million beats a minute, I felt like it was 100 degrees but it was February and the inside of TT was comfortably cool like most Disney rides are, and everyone else was thinking I was crazy not to just be enjoying a somewhat special view of the ride, watching the animatronics and such...

I'd say to just keep reminding yourself that you're at Disney World and nothing is actually scary. But definately skip the big thrill rides if they set you off - Pirates is just as exciting as Mission: Space in my mind! :cool1:

I too suffer from panic attacks. I think I got my first one back in 1999, and usually have a couple a year. The only kind I've ever gotten is the severe kind, but I've been to WDW 4 times since then and done fine with one exception.

It's Tough to be a Bug gave me one of my worst panic attacks ever, if not the worst! :sad2: I think it was from the extreme sensory overload, and needless to say I've never felt quite the same about the Tree of Life (I just try and pretend it's really a tree now :rotfl: ). So, since then, no ITTBAB and no Stitch either. I've also avoided Mission: Space, but other than that, nothing's bothered me. Although keep in mind I've never been on Space Mountain (not a fan of the dark), RnRC (I hate going upside down), Splash or ToT (lines have been too long/not enough time).

Good luck, and my thoughts and prayers are with you for a panic attack-free vacation! :goodvibes

whitneyv

I do too have anxiety problems and panic attacks. They started strong 4 years ago on my last day of my wdw trip... I have to say, that i´m a little nervous coming back this time (i´m in another country so will be a looooooooog flight for me), but i keep reminding me that this time is way different situation: i have my meds, i learned how to cop with the attacks and how to breath when I started to feel anxious... The only ride that i´m planning to avoid because of my problem is Mission Space and that is it. Sadly, we will be departing a day before your arrival... if wasnt for that ours DHs could ride the scary rides together :teeth:

I hope all the best on your vacation.
IM me anytime you feel like to chat

Leticia

I get panic attacks too but thankfully they have not happened in a while. For me the big thing is being stuck inside a ride. I get very nervous. I bring to WDW my "survival bag" and take it on every ride. It consists of a small flashlight, a small fan, and an iced bottle of water. I have small children so my DS likes having the flashlight handy. On our last trip I used the fan while in the shrinking room. I also used the fan while on the hydrolators in Living Seas. I have a bad elevator phobia. Actually I used that fan quite a lot now that I think about it! But it really makes me feel better knowing I have an air flow, light and cold water should we get stuck. The last time we got stuck on SE and HM I just talked to my DS about how we would be moving soon and the panic never really set in. Now if I didn;t have my survival items, who knows? Good luck for a panic free trip.

I've only had one on a ride, and that was at Universal. We went to get on the Back to The Future ride, and I got as far as into the car, and then they started to lower the thing down and I just started in a panic, and told the operator that I wanted to get off NOW. I'm a little bit clautrophobic, and that thing lowering down on me just freaked me out.

Another panic attack sufferer here too. I had my first one while driving, so I had to conquer that fear quickly. After the hurricanes we had here in Florida last year I was a basket case, so my doctor gave me an Rx for Xanax. I have hardly taken any, but it's nice to know it's there. Mission:Space gave me issues, and I came close to having a panic attack, because it is such a confined space. I also can't do ToT. Other than that, I'm ok with pretty much everything else. A lot of it is knowing yourself and knowing what triggers the anxiety for you. Mentally help yourself by reassuring yourself that you are safe and everything is ok and it is just a ride. Don't push yourself to do something you don't feel comfortable doing. Good luck!!

I have a pic of me , I wanted to post of me having a panic attack on a ride

:crazy2:

I think I had my first panic attack while in line for BTMRR. It was late June, it was super HOT and we were stuck in line for 40 min. I get claustrophobic and I don't like large crowds and we were in line stuck in the middle of the turnstiles, I just started freaking out that I couldn't get out of line if I wanted to. The only thing that made me keep it together was I was more afraid of how my kids would react if I started screaming and pushing people out of the way so I could get out! :earseek: Since then I've had little attacks in the weirdest places (Chevy's restaurant on Cinco de Mayo, we crammed 6 people into a booth and I was on the inside seat; standing in line at a local waterpark at the top of the stairs worried about the stairs collapsing)

If anyone has any more tips I'd love to hear them!!! :earsgirl:

If there is a ride you don't want to go on, but your DH does, remember that you can go on line with him and when you get to the front tell the CM you are not riding and they will tell you where to wait for him, most likey the child swap area. That way he can try the ride and you do not have to wait outside by yourself. (Unless of course you want to go shopping then :goodvibes ).

First of all, thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I too suffer from panic attacks, and it's good to be able to talk w/ others about this. I have always been a thrill ride junkie, and luckily I don't really have problems on the thrill rides (knock on wood). Having said that, I will definitely not be riding Mission Space, the whole tight confinement thing would probably be too much for me.

The one thing that helped me is Xanax. I have not had a full-on attack since the middle of January, but I still carry my Xanax w/ me at all times. For me it's nice having that "crutch", even though I haven't needed to take one in almost 6 months. I think it gives me peace of mind knowing that if I do have feel a bad attack coming, relief is right in my pocket.

Wow, sorry for rambling on, but like I said I think it's good to talk w/ others who have the same condition. If anyone would like to talk more about this, feel free to PM me anytime.

Good luck to everyone and enjoy your vacation (I know you will).

After having a panic attack, doesn't it just go away after the ride/confinement ends? When we moved to NYC, my wife used to have them driving over tall bridges, until we went over enough of them and her fear just went away. Whenever we would drive up one side, she would panic, tunnel vision, sweats, the whole shebang! As we drove down the other side, the panic would go away. Our doctor is more about conquering fear, rather than medicating, so she never took anything for it, but it makes me wonder...is her experience common or do most panic attacks last longer and require medication? No judgements here, mind you, just curious. :)

I know mine lasted longer. I literally thought I was having a heart attack (at 25!) and couldn't breathe. I had chest pains, headache and I started to black out. This occured as I was driving down the interstate, so that didn't help matters. My heart was racing, I had cold sweats, and my fingers were tingling as I stuggled to catch my breath. The feeling of panic and danger was so strong, that even after I pulled over, I had to have my FI come and get be because I really thought I was dying. This runs in my family and I have seen my mom go through this many times. The sense of uneasyness and panic can linger for quite a while, and whatever caused it can be something the sufferer avoids. For a while I couldn't drive the hiway, but had to take back roads everywhere, but I just made myself get over it little by little. I too find comfort in having the 'crutch' of my medication with me just incase. Some doctors medicate (actually, it seems a lot do for this, there are all sorts of medications for this) and some don't. I have a psychologist who helps we work things out and that keeps me much calmer. Like I said, in my case this is heriditary, but it can happen to a lot of people with out warning, even without a prior history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter