• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Painted brick?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
Do you like the look of painted brick? Half of our house has brick and a while ago we painted it the same color as the siding. Now we want to get the exterior of our house redone and the architect wants to put more brick on other parts and paint that as well. I don't like the brick to begin with, so we painted it. I'd rather do stone and cedar siding. I'm trying to figure out if this architect is any good or if I just have bad taste.

There are other issues as well but I have never worked with an architect before and we are 9k into the design phase. I'm thinking of just halting the entire thing and living with what we have.

Absolutely never paint brick. It is a hassle to keep repainting so it will look good. I would avoid the cedar siding as well. I would use cement board siding. We live in Seattle and any exterior wood product is going to start rotting out in a few years. I never use wood for exterior projects here.

Do you like the look of painted brick? Half of our house has brick and a while ago we painted it the same color as the siding. Now we want to get the exterior of our house redone and the architect wants to put more brick on other parts and paint that as well. I don't like the brick to begin with, so we painted it. I'd rather do stone and cedar siding. I'm trying to figure out if this architect is any good or if I just have bad taste.

There are other issues as well but I have never worked with an architect before and we are 9k into the design phase. I'm thinking of just halting the entire thing and living with what we have.
For me, painted brick just looks like an attempt to cammoflage an element that isn't wanted, not something that's anybody's first choice for a look. It really doesn't matter what the architect likes or if your taste isn't the same. They work for you. TELL her/him what type of look you want and don't want. It's then the architect's job to develop a concept you like. If they are so high-minded as to insist on asserting their own vision, then maybe you have hired the wrong person.

Yeah, I think we hired the wrong person. I wanted some creative ideas on how to transform our ranch style home and he just wants to put more brick, and to paint it. Nothing really looks different. No portico, extra roof peaks, nothing. I'm really disappointed and I'm ready to just give up and continue to live with what we have. Collect some interest on the cash we planned to use for the remodel.

We also wanted to add an upstairs but he designed something beyond our budget (according to contractors that gave us bids). He could have pared it down and given us a partial upstairs but he said it would only look good if it spanned the entire house. Meanwhile I see other remodels that have partial second stories and they look pretty good to me.

No, I don't like the look of painted brick. Seems one of those trendy design ideas on HGTV home improvement shows. I think the results look terrible and would make more sense to paint windows/trim/etc. a contrasting color to match the color of the original brick.

Last edited:

I told him I don't like brick but he wants to put MORE brick on the house then paint it. Makes no sense. I'd rather remove what we have and use siding and stone.

Yeah, I think we hired the wrong person. I wanted some creative ideas on how to transform our ranch style home and he just wants to put more brick, and to paint it. Nothing really looks different. No portico, extra roof peaks, nothing. I'm really disappointed and I'm ready to just give up and continue to live with what we have. Collect some interest on the cash we planned to use for the remodel.

We also wanted to add an upstairs but he designed something beyond our budget (according to contractors that gave us bids). He could have pared it down and given us a partial upstairs but he said it would only look good if it spanned the entire house. Meanwhile I see other remodels that have partial second stories and they look pretty good to me.
Well, if you're still interested in the second story, you either have to tell him CLEARLY to modify his concept to stay within all the parameters you set (budget, style, whatever) or fire him and hire someone else. If you've decided to forego the addition, you don't really need an architect to re-design your exterior. Find a reputable exterior renovation company in your area (they will typically sell and install siding, windows, eavestrough, decorative trim, etc.) and work directly with them. They will work with you on selections and come up with a look you like for no extra design charges.

Well, if you're still interested in the second story, you either have to tell him CLEARLY to modify his concept to stay within all the parameters you set (budget, style, whatever) or fire him and hire someone else. If you've decided to forego the addition, you don't really need an architect to re-design your exterior. Find a reputable exterior renovation company in your area (they will typically sell and install siding, windows, eavestrough, decorative trim, etc.) and work directly with them. They will work with you on selections and come up with a look you like for no extra design charges.

Yeah, I think we need to stop working with him and cut our losses. It's a shame because if he had been better he could have designed something within our budget, instead he designed what would cost $450k for just an upstairs (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms). Our budget is 300k. Now we are just looking to make the outside look better, possibly redesign our kitchen but he's not doing very well with that either. He wants to take out our patio doors and remove a small side deck that my husband built using expensive trex and a lot of his time and labor.

Lol it's pretty much a mess at this point, hence the reason why I just want to give up and live with what we have.

I love painted brick. But, it has to be done right. It can really look unappealing if it isn’t.

I think you have to be careful about mixing a lot of different materials. If you really want stone, tear off the brick and replace with stone.

Did you pay this guy in advance? That's suspicious. Did you check his credentials, licensing, etc? Did d you see work he has done on other houses?

I think you have to be careful about mixing a lot of different materials. If you really want stone, tear off the brick and replace with stone.

Did you pay this guy in advance? That's suspicious. Did you check his credentials, licensing, etc? Did d you see work he has done on other houses?

Yes I want to tear off the brick and do Hardiplank or shingle siding with stone. Rather than stone he wants to paint brick. He came recommended to us by a realtor and he is legit but once he found out the initial design is out of our price range things went downhill.

After reading the responses, it's beyond me why an architect would want to put brick siding on a house, then paint it all. Especially after I informed him I do not like brick.

I do not care for it either. In some isolcate cases I have seen it look decent, but most of the time it looks awful. If you want brick, keep it natural. If you don't like brick, don't use it.

When we redid our exterior we removed all the brick that the previous owner had painted. The painting damaged the brick and led to water leaking behind it (we had repaired it over the years but it was constant upkeep) and eventually damaged the wall in the bedroom behind the brick. We also had issues with leaks in our chimney which was also painted brick. We tore all of the brick down replaced the front brick with siding and had the chimney rebuilt with brick but not painted. So no to painted brick.

After reading the responses, it's beyond me why an architect would want to put brick siding on a house, then paint it all. Especially after I informed him I do not like brick.
My feelings about painted brick are irrelevant--it's yours that count. This is your house. You should have it the way you want it.

Your architect, however, isn't impressing me. They want to make the house either like they want it or they're just trying to foist something off on you since they're disappointed you didn't want to spend bigger bucks on the house--as if $300K isn't big enough. It is!

I hope you haven't paid this person their entire fee.

If they are proposing to put up NEW brick and then paint it makes NO sense to me. Brick is available in many colors. Pick out a color brick you like if going that direction. Painting EXISTING brick tends to be what people have done when they don't like the color.

Raw wood products (like cedar) tend to look OK at first, but require continuing maintenance no matter what the contractor tells you. I think those types of products look terrible after a few years and all turn an ugle 'seashore grey' color I don't like. I would choose one of the many available types of siding that is more weather resistant and still look good 5+ years from now.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter