Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
This does not shock me. It is all perception. Rather than implementing a price hike on the hotel, add this as a semi-mandatory add on fee. When most guests evaluate where to stay, they are going to focus on room rates. Just as they implemented a price hike on their tickets. This is a price hike on their hotels but done in a way that does not change their room rates for all online search engines or shoppers who are comparing prices. IMHO, they are tired of seeing a lot of off site hotels appear to look significantly less than Disney by using mandatory fees.

Because the frequent Disney consumer is going to hate this, they probably will start with a relatively large bang on parking just to rip the Band-Aid off quickly rather that putting a small one out now and then remind frequent Disney consumers about this fee again when they raise it.

My hope is they are careful on how they open this up to non-guests. As frustrated as I am about having to pay the fee, I will be even more frustrated if I pay a lot of money to spend at a Disney resort to find out that parking is frequently full and just finding a place for my car is a total nightmare.

Finally they can then easily role this back in special promotions in the future with "Book Now and we will waive your parking fees!!!"

I was trying to imagine ways of preventing day guests from parking in resort lots and taking the bus to parks. The simplest methods to administer involved parking fees, although refunds could be made if guests followed certain procedures such as leave within 3 hours not spanning Illuminations (at resorts ner Epcot) or have a room booked.

I favor making electric vehicle charging a profit center, and also price the service so that users are rarely turned away. It is very difficult to make one station serve more than one day car, one evening car, and one overnight car.

Last edited:
I think Disney has amazed even themselves at how much and what they can charge for and people continue to pony up. Of course the internet goes crazy in the run-up to the $$$$ increases, but shortly after implementation it's back to business as usual for most of us.

Would be sad if they did this, but not surprising.

I understand they are expecting a huge influx of guests in 2019 and beyond, but it just seems like ALL AT ONCE .. they are doing things that would drive people AWAY from staying at the Disney resorts.
- reducing EMH
- giving 60 day FP and EMH to good neighbor hotels
- Having a non-Disney hotel built near Swan/Dolphin
- Reducing housekeeping (though they pay US for that privilege)
- and now a parking fee?

What advantages is a family getting staying at a Value resort and paying a LOT more per night than an off-site hotel or condo and THEN pay a ridiculous parking fee on top of that?

It's a way to raise hotel prices without actually raising hotel prices.
And once you institute parking fees.. you can then "give it away" for special promotions to make people think they are getting a deal.

Why not be equitable and charge a fee for Magic Express then?

This feels like a PR nightmare. Start charging for something that has been free forever?

As a car driver, this infuriates me. I don't mind paying parking at the parks when I stay offsite. That's to encourage me to stay at a Disney hotel and use their transportation, right? But to pay the already high prices for a Disney resort and then pay for my car to sit in a lot because that is how I choose to get there (I live 9 hours away) infuriating.

Why do this? Why not just increase ticket prices a few more dollars? (You'd probably make more money that way without upsetting your regular resort guests).

This could increase the cost of my upcoming trip in November by a significant amount (considering my parents are coming separately as well). I may even be tempted to look at offsite options now. I mean .. if I have to pay money to park at the parks, why not save EVEN MORE and stay offsite?

I think a lot of local businesses will pop up due to this. Parking lots with shuttles (like at the airports).

- Park at a nearby lot for a lot less per day and take their shuttle to your resort where you can just use Disney transportation.

What makes me sick about this is that Disney is pricing out a lot of people.

You can't even hire people for full capacity for us to enjoy our trips, yet you wanna just keep up charging us for everything, esp things that have always been free and a great perk.

Next we will be charged to use the pools, and in time, the fast passes

This is going to make the buses much more slow. They will be even more packed then there are with people who wont drive anymore

And everyone is going to sit back and take it because they keep going each year giving them money.

They wont stop until people actually take a stand and say enough.

I'll take ubers. I wouldn't drop a dime on your mini bus overrated and greatly overpriced crap

You charge me over 4-500 a night on a room and i cant park for free?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Turning the happiest place on earth into an greedy corporate empire. No wonder you wanted star wars, you literally are acting like the evil empire now. Adding in Star Wars, and Marvel crap that have ZERO Disney appeal, ruining everything and forgetting that its all about a MOUSE. Thats MAGIC. Not that crap

This feels like a PR nightmare. Start charging for something that has been free forever?
I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I pay for parking at most hotels that I stay at these days.

New guests will probably think this was always in place. And how many people will actually cancel trips and not return for the marginal increase in cost?

Could be wrong, but I doubt this is an issue beyond social media for a little while.

I think Disney has amazed even themselves at how much and what they can charge for and people continue to pony up. Of course the internet goes crazy in the run-up to the $$$$ increases, but shortly after implementation it's back to business as usual for most of us.
Ha! This is what I was thinking. There have been several members posting on here that this will finally push them to stay offsite. I doubt it will for most of them.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I pay for parking at most hotels that I stay at these days.

New guests will probably think this was always in place. And how many people will actually cancel trips and not return for the marginal increase in cost?

Could be wrong, but I doubt this is an issue beyond social media for a little while.

And your OK with that? Your ok spending thousands of dollars on a hotel room and have to pay for parking?

This isn't NYC, its Florida

I believe people coming to Disney do research and are smarter then that.

I think I’ve only had to pay for parking at hotels in large metropolitan areas (Chicago and St. Louis). I live in a city of 100,000 people. Not huge, but not tiny either. Know how many hotels here charge for parking? Zero.

Disney doesn’t need to charge for parking. It should be included with your $400+ per night stay. Even in downtown St. Louis, the hotel parking is less than $20 per day.

As a car driver, this infuriates me. I don't mind paying parking at the parks when I stay offsite. That's to encourage me to stay at a Disney hotel and use their transportation, right? But to pay the already high prices for a Disney resort and then pay for my car to sit in a lot because that is how I choose to get there (I live 9 hours away) infuriating.

Why do this? Why not just increase ticket prices a few more dollars? (You'd probably make more money that way without upsetting your regular resort guests).

This could increase the cost of my upcoming trip in November by a significant amount (considering my parents are coming separately as well). I may even be tempted to look at offsite options now. I mean .. if I have to pay money to park at the parks, why not save EVEN MORE and stay offsite?

I think a lot of local businesses will pop up due to this. Parking lots with shuttles (like at the airports).

- Park at a nearby lot for a lot less per day and take their shuttle to your resort where you can just use Disney transportation.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

And your OK with that? Your ok spending thousands of dollars on a hotel room and have to pay for parking?

I think I’ve only had to pay for parking at hotels in large metropolitan areas (Chicago and St. Louis). I live in a city of 100,000 people. Not huge, but not tiny either. Know how many hotels here charge for parking? Zero.

I consider it a reflection of how in-demand a location is; >demand = more likely they charge for parking.

As far as research, once this is implemented, that research will tell visitors that they’ll pay for parking. Doubt that deters the vast, vast majority of visitors.

If this happens with some offsite resorts getting onsite privileges what's the point in staying at a Disney hotel that is already over priced? Especially if you are a AP holder you get to park for free at the parks anyway stay offsite and save money. It just seems like Disney is trying to push people off property instead of on property. A lot of people drive because it's cheaper than flying too so is that just going to push more people in to using Magical express will they start to charge for that next?

There are several resorts that charge for parking (and a resort fee) in Florida including the Swan and Dolphin. So, in the end people are okay with it and do pay it.

I agree. People will fuss and object and threaten not to spend vacation dollars at Disney anymore, for about a week. Then everyone will continue to book trip after trip after trip. I have said it before and I'll say it again, no matter what Disney does, people will come in droves. They hike up prices and they get MORE crowded. No matter what they do, they attract more people.

I wonder if part of the thinking behind this is to discourage guests from renting a car... having access to a car provides the freedom to go to offsite attractions, restaurants, shopping, other theme parks, etc. Relying solely on Disney transportation pretty much guarantees that 100% of a guest’s vacation money will be spent on disney property.

If the reason behind this charge is because people are parking at the resorts and taking a bus to the parks, it’s the lazy way out for Disney. With the technology Disney now has with magic bands and everything else, I can’t believe this is the best solution to the problem. Not to mention you’re already given a parking pass to display in your car. What it sounds like to me is that Disney is not doing the job they are supposed to be doing and checking parking tags in the parking lots of the resorts. The solution to this problem really should be easy. No resort tag, you get a ticket or you tow truck is called.

Disney’s solution to a lot of problems as of late has been lazy, add a fee or increase the price of something. Enough is enough.

Iger needs to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter