Packet Pick-Up Services

Hmm - I would totally do this but would prefer the front desk option. Now I have to decide if I should grab what is there or wait to see if the resort option shows up again.

Hmm - I would totally do this but would prefer the front desk option. Now I have to decide if I should grab what is there or wait to see if the resort option shows up again.

I would wait. I am highly confident that the front desk option will appear again.

I signed up for the VIP race day packet pick up. I had to call runDisney during the sign up because of website glitches. We got to talking and I was told that although they were thinking of doing pickup at the front desk, they have since decided against the idea.

Thanks - I signed up. Figured you were right and now that they sent the email they most likely won't be adding the resort option.

My guess would be not being able to guarentee who picked up the bibs or dealing with 'lost' bibs isnt worth the hassle..

Front desk pickup would save a lot of time and hassle, but your right could result in missed waivers or misplaced bibs.

As far as handling the pictures - the picture @ the expo isnt such a big deal really - the only real way it would cause an issue thats any worse then if you simply gave your bib to someone else would be for perfects, and the easy way to fix that is just look @ last years race. Otherwise it really doesn't affect much to get an expo picture.

That's true, and I've heard people say that if you go at certain times (i.e. not right when it opens), there aren't huge lines for bib pick-up either. Mostly I just need to convince myself that I'm okay without the merchandise. ;)

For PHM this year, I went to pick up about 3pm on Thursday. Parking was crazy - we were at the very edge of the lot on the grass - but once we snaked in with everyone (never stopped moving), we walked right up to the counter for bib pick-up. Went over to the expo to get my shirt and no lines there either. I didn't really try to shop anywhere. It was my first rD event so I was clueless about the official merch booth so all I really saw was the New Balance area, which was crowded but manageable.

@The Expert thats what I'm thinking I'll do. I'm trying to convince myself that the merchandise doesn't really do it for me anyone, so if I can't go at some point in the afternoon and avoid the merch I think that would make life easier. :)

I was hopeful when I saw the possibility of a resort packet pickup option. I'm thinking forward for future race weekends such as Marathon Weekend. We run with a charity organization that has many families with kids with disabilities and I'm sure the Expo can be a logisitical nightmare for a lot of them. The resort Expo buses aren't handicap accessible which can be a challenge just getting to the Expo in itself. With adult runners not being able to pick up packets for others, it makes it even harder. While it would be a nice convenience for a lot of us, for families like these it would be a GREAT option. I'll be watching to see how it all unfolds...

Disney takes away the ability to have someone else pick up for you, then they add a "service" like this. Cracks me up.

At least they waited around 2 years between the two things.

Not like all the other nonsense recently. ("we're building a DVC member lounge in Epcot!" "Yay, let's buy in, that pushed me over the edge to 'yes'." "Oh, not for you b/c you bought resale but not in time.")

Looks like a new offering is being made for the Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend ...
http://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-wdw-half-marathon/#packet-pick-up

Packet Pick-Up Services

Not able to attend the Expo before your race? Here are some optional services* available for advance purchase before 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Monday, April 11, 2016. Don't delay, availability is limited!

Walt Disney World® Resort Front Desk Delivery Get your race packet, shirt and pre-purchased commemorative items delivered to your Walt Disney World® Resort hotel. This service is available for all race distances with delivery Thursday, April 14 through Saturday, April 16. Your signed waiver, bib# and resort reservation are required for purchase. A photo ID is required at time of pickup.

Cost: $39 USD per adult race registration + $15 USD per additional minor (under 18) race registration staying in the same room.

Purchase today!

10K and Half Marathon Race Day Pickup:
Retrieve your race packet (bib number, race shirt and pre-purchased merchandise) the day of your scheduled race at the VIP Packet Pick-Up Tent. A photo ID and signed waiver is required and must be picked up by the registered runner.

Cost: $39 USD per race registration.

Purchase today!

*These services are subject to change or termination without notice. All dates and prices are subject to change. Resort Delivery and Race Day Packet Pick-Up are subject to availability, non-refundable and non-transferable. Restrictions apply.

I would ....totally pay for this.
Even if we just got it done for the kids bibs-in our group (or the kid and her mom since it is unclear if you can just get a child's registration alone delivered), since we had a kid racing on Friday, we had to be at WWoS on Thurs to get the bibs, and then again on Friday for the race.
But, if we could have had the Friday bib delivered to the hotel on Thursday, we could have spent all Thursday at the parks, and picked up our bibs for the 10K and Half while we were waiting for the kid mile to start on Friday, maybe look at the expo on the way out, and saved a trip to WWoS. I totally underestimated how much more you walk when you park hop- and one less day of bouncing between WWoS and parks would be totally worth it.

I think this service could be useful if I'm arriving in later say Friday night for the challenge since all the merch I want may be gone and it will save me a little bit of time in the morning if say the bus runs late or whatever. It doesn't make sense for a challenge though if they're still going to make you go there and get a picture.

My concern is if they use it as a replacement for day of pickup because that seems kind of... rude isn't the word but unfair perhaps since sometimes planes are delayed or whatever and people who may have planned to go to the expo now can't so to charge them on top of that is kind of unnecessary.

I think this service could be useful if I'm arriving in later say Friday night for the challenge since all the merch I want may be gone and it will save me a little bit of time in the morning if say the bus runs late or whatever. It doesn't make sense for a challenge though if they're still going to make you go there and get a picture.

My concern is if they use it as a replacement for day of pickup because that seems kind of... rude isn't the word but unfair perhaps since sometimes planes are delayed or whatever and people who may have planned to go to the expo now can't so to charge them on top of that is kind of unnecessary.

I think part of the issue was that they extended a courtesy for emergencies that people totally took advantage of. Rather than going to the expo, people started scheduling their arrival times after the expo closed. To my understanding morning pick at Princess was a mess.

I would say many large races don't have same day pick up under any circumstances and I'm guessing that ones that do have VIP pickup do charge.

I think part of the issue was that they extended a courtesy for emergencies that people totally took advantage of. Rather than going to the expo, people started scheduling their arrival times after the expo closed. To my understanding morning pick at Princess was a mess.

I would say many large races don't have same day pick up under any circumstances and I'm guessing that ones that do have VIP pickup do charge.
Really? My friend got in at 2am the morning before the 10k for Princess due to a plane delay and she had no problem getting her bib day of. Maybe it was just the 1/2 people had trouble with? Beyond that, picking up your bib last minute does not save you from going to the expo if you want your packet and in the case of challenges you have to go to get your picture taken.

I haven't done that many really big races but most of the larger ones I've seen had bib only pick-up morning of. I can come to terms with a charge for day-of pickup even if it is unfair because it will prevent those who can get to the expo and choose not to from skipping out. I still think they should have day-of pickup because things happen with transportation and I don't know that it should prevent people from being able to race at all if they're unable to get their bib until the morning of.

Really? My friend got in at 2am the morning before the 10k for Princess due to a plane delay and she had no problem getting her bib day of. Maybe it was just the 1/2 people had trouble with? Beyond that, picking up your bib last minute does not save you from going to the expo if you want your packet and in the case of challenges you have to go to get your picture taken.

I haven't done that many really big races but most of the larger ones I've seen had bib only pick-up morning of. I can come to terms with a charge for day-of pickup even if it is unfair because it will prevent those who can get to the expo and choose not to from skipping out. I still think they should have day-of pickup because things happen with transportation and I don't know that it should prevent people from being able to race at all if they're unable to get their bib until the morning of.

I think that is what the original intent was. A courtesy. It just spread to people who started making plane/travel plans knowing they wouldn't arrive in time. That being said, it is rD, so I still see them trying to help out people who have true emergencies. I'm guessing the VIP is a compromise. If you don't (can't) take the day off of work/school/whatever to arrive early, then you can pay to pick up your packet in advance because you don't have an emergency. Hopefully less stress all the way around.

I would pay the $40 for front desk delivery for sure. I'd spend WAY more than that at the expo haha.. So it's saving me money in the long run.. :D

I would pay for this. I booked my flight late Friday night. I cannot miss any work days, so I was planning on picking up the morning of and saying I am sorry my flight got delayed, so I am one of the bad ones abusing it. But I would happily pay something for them to deliver to my hotel. I hope they keep this option.

Assuming this is something that gets offered for each race weekend, I'd expect them to keep the emergency day-of option. It's already unadvertised and you almost have to pull teeth to get them to acknowledge its existence. They'd likely keep it going as such with the official company line being that you must attend the expo or utilize this service as opposed to the current line simply being you must attend the expo.

Compared to packet/t-shirt pick up for the last ever Everest Challenge in '15, the PHM Expo/Pick-up was a shock! Totally blindsided my group and almost didn't make ADR around 1:00pm. I think this was due to the fact we weren't interested in merchandise. Thank goodness we weren't interested in merchandise or we would have been done for! Knowing this now, we are planning on NOT planning anything for the parks or reservations on the first day of trip so that we can retrieve all that is necessary to do our runs next year. This we feel will save us not only money for park admission/hopper for one day plus food (X4), but our sanity at the expo. Therefore, it would also be safe to say that while the advanced purchase of packet delivery or day of pick-up service is a nice idea, we will also save our money on that as well. Not to mention my DS and I would have to go to the expo anyway for Challenge pics. Is that right, and where and when does one find out this needs to be done. I've only picked up on it while stalking the boards and postings. Not to take away from the original point of this thread, but can anyone give my some info what to do after we're signed up (cross your fingers) for the Challenge '17? DS and I are still kinda new to all of this. Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter