Overwhelmed!

gravityhammer

Earning My Ears
I'm working on booking my family's week-long WDW vacation for the end of September 2017. There are 4 of us - my wife and I, and our daughter (who will be 9) and son (4). Mom, daughter and I have been to WDW before, but out son hasn't. None of us have stayed on property.

There are too many resorts to choose from!

I've heard to stay at Moderate resorts, and I've heard to not stay at Moderate resorts. I've heard to stay at 1 resort the entire time, and I'be heard to split my stay between Economy and Deluxe.

What are *your* recommendations?

My criteria:
(1) Bookable ;) (9/23-30/17)
(2) I most likely won't spend to stay at a Deluxe for the entire week (unless there is some overwhelming reason)
(3) Since the period we will be visiting has historically been included in Free Dining, I'd like a resort that would most likely offer it.

Thanks!

The Little Mermaid rooms at AOA, which are the standard rooms (non-family suites) are usually blacked out of free dining. Port Orleans French Quarter usually is as well. If Riverside is offered, it's generally limited availability. There's a few other exclusions typically such as some of the larger villas, the villas at Grand Floridian, and Bay Lake Tower. I think All Star Movies may have been excluded this year too, but I don't know if that's typical.

As far as which resort to choose, you should start with identifying what things are most important to you. What would be a deal breaker. Must the resort have an awesome pool? Several food options? Good lounge/bar options? Alternate transportation to the parks other than buses? Spacious rooms? Cool theme? I think it's easiest to make recommendations or at least narrow it down when you are able to identify one or two things that are must haves for your family.

As far as a split stay, many people do this. To me, I think it's only worth the hassle if you're staying 4-5 nights at each resort. I prefer to unpack at the beginning and stay put the whole time. It's a personal preference.

As far as moderate resorts, this is the level we generally stay. It's a touch nicer than the moderates but more affordable than deluxe resorts. For us, we wouldn't utilize the deluxe resort amenities so it's not worth it to us to pay the price for it.

Thanks for the reply!

We'd definitely like to have a nice pool - the kids are big waterbabies. Don't really care as much about a bar scene - even if mama and I wanted to get a sitter and go out, we'd probably be too tired to. I'm sure we can find beer/wine somewhere.

Since this is our first (and last for a while) on-property stay, we'd like it to be fun for the kids. I think a bigger draw for me for the Deluxe resorts is having more transportation options to the parks.

I have stayed at all levels and enjoyed every one of my stays. For me, it's about what fits into your budget and what is most important to your family/ fits your families needs.

What my family typically does before a trip is 'rank' the resorts within each category for where we want to stay. Resorts can be higher or lower based on many factors such as theme, pool area etc... Then, when it is time to book/ a special offer comes out, we just go down our list.

Be aware that free dining at the value resorts is generally the plan that includes 2 fast food type meals per day where the moderate resort typically includes the plan with one sit down meal. You can stay at a value and upgrade your meal plan if you so chose.

Everyone has their favorites, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices if it meets your families needs.

If you are ok spending the money for a moderate resort, I think you should pick either POR or CSR. CSR has a great pool area and a good sized pool slide. Plus a gigantic hot tub.

Have you looked at pictures to see what theme appeals to you most?

Thanks for the reply!

We'd definitely like to have a nice pool - the kids are big waterbabies. Don't really care as much about a bar scene - even if mama and I wanted to get a sitter and go out, we'd probably be too tired to. I'm sure we can find beer/wine somewhere.

Since this is our first (and last for a while) on-property stay, we'd like it to be fun for the kids. I think a bigger draw for me for the Deluxe resorts is having more transportation options to the parks.

I would probably rank the pools: Caribbean Beach, Coronado, Riverside, French Quarter

Caribbean Beach has a lot of bus stops which will add a little extra to your travel time. All moderates are in good locations, IMO and travel time to the parks is fine.

I agree with maxiesmom about checking out the themes. And, have a backup as not all resorts are always included in the free dining offers.

It sounds like a moderate resort might fit what you are looking for and Coronado Springs would be a good choice in that category.

I typically pick a resort according to what we want to do. MNSSHP for example would make me more likely to do a deluxe near MK because at the end of a long night, I want to be "home" quickly. F&W has me at Epcot resorts. So we go for convenience over anything. All resorts have great theming so no need to worry about that.

I like the idea of a split stay but it does seem like a major hassle.

Thanks everyone! HAs anyone here done a split stay? What all does it entail? Would you have to carry your luggage over to your new resort on the shuttle bus?

FYI: most of September is blacked out of the free dining bounceback for 2017. That makes free dining for the general public next September seem less likely. The resorts are filling up at rack rate in late Sept due to school breaks, Halloween parties & Food & Wine festival. Free dining was originally offered after a few really slow years when several hurricanes had hit Florida in Sept. With bookings up, Disney has less need to offer it.

So book what you are willing to actually pay for. If discounts are announced for your dates, you can try to apply it to your reservation or upgrade your resort. But be aware that having an existing reservation in no way guarantees you'll be able to apply a discount later.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! HAs anyone here done a split stay? What all does it entail? Would you have to carry your luggage over to your new resort on the shuttle bus?

You can transport your own luggage via taxi if you want. Or bell services can move your luggage for you. No fee, you just tell them you want the luggage transferred to XXX Resort. Usually they tell you it won't be available at the new resort til mid afternoon, 3ish if I recall.

We have done many split stays, no problem. If you get a package for the first hotel, make sure to buy enough days on your tickets to cover the whole trip. Then your second hotel can be a room only reservation.

So you call bell services to take your luggage, check out of hotel 1, go to park of the day on Disney transportation. Mid afternoon, head to new resort on Disney transportation & check in.

If pool is something that is important, I know Port Orleans French Quarter just remodeled to have a new Aquatic play area for kids. This was opened in March I think. Also the Coronado Springs resort has a neat pool area.

I think the biggest thing that helps us with a split stay is being organized. There are only 2 of us so it is easier. But I pack everything in large zip lock bags when I pack (toiletries, deodorant, sunscreen, hair products etc.). I pull these bags out & keep them on top of dresser or whatever surface is convenient in the room. Everything goes right back into bag after use. When time to pack up, just zip the bags & put into suitcase. We use 2 suitcases & I try to pack items for 1st resort in 1, items for 2nd resort in other. Dirty clothes go into large garbage bag & placed into empty suitcase while clean stuff is still in 2nd case. Even if I unpack all the clothes at first resort, it's not too hard to put all the clean stuff in 1 case, dirty stuff in the other.

Biggest issue is if 2nd room not ready til late & you want to take an afternoon break. If that's the case, maybe make a room that is ready early as your priority if you make requests. You can use the pool & other amenities at your new resort as soon as you check in, & you can access your luggage in bell services once it gets to your new resort if you need anything,

Last edited:
We did a split stay and it was fine.. kind of fun, felt like multiple vacations.

My 4 year old loved the splash pad at Port Orleans French quarter! It was awesome, I'd take him down in the morning while the teens slept in. He would have been happy to stay there all day I think. Was a really nice place and small so no matter where your room is, you are close to the pool, laundry, playground, food court, gift shop.

The moderates are wonderful! I have stayed at CBR, POR, and CSR, and enjoyed them all.

CBR: a nice main pool with kids splash pad + seven quiet pools...but it's the biggest and has seven bus stops. It's the most recently renovated.

POR: two distinct sections (bayou/mansions), "for pay" recreation such as bikes and carriage rides, a boat to DSp, and Yeehaw Bob entertainment

CSR: most centrally located resort which leads to some of the best busing, three distinct sections (casitas/cabanas/ranchos), the most dining options, and the Dig Site pool (longest mod slide, biggest on property jacuzzi, drink refill station, and QS)

We have stayed at all 3 levels of resorts multiple times and have found that the Mods gives us everything we need without breaking our wallet. I am also not the type that will pay $200 more per night just so we can save 10-15 minutes in travel time. Look at what you are comfortable to spend and then look at the resort themes and amenities, and narrow it down to a couple and then decide between them. We drive to WDW, so we end up taking a lot more stuff then we would if we flew and so packing up takes a lot longer for us and 7 nights would not be long enough for us to do a split stay.

I think you need to decide on your budget first to then decide what level resort you should stay. We have stayed all levels. Then once you decide level narrow down what's important from there. Also, do the numbers, sometimes a room discount is more savings than free dining.

For deluxe we usually go with location. The epcot resorts are great... walkable to 2 parks. Lots to do at night on the BW, and lots of dining options on BW, or EP world showcase. Also, the monorail loop resorts are fabulous too. We've stayed in all 3, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay in any one of them again.

For moderate, we've only ever stayed at POR. Very nice relaxing resort, but it is very large. Nice to have the boat to Disney Springs too. Good balanced food court. Plenty of options without feeling too big/loud.

For value, we've stayed AofA LM rooms (these were a long walk as well), and Pop Century. Both are fun resorts. Keep in mind values have double beds, and not queen. No bus sharing is also a plus. Food courts are large, and can get very chaotic.

As for pools at which resort... my waterbaby girl (age 9) is happy just having a pool, oh, and good snacks at the resort.

Happy planning!

Oh, and we've done split stays before with no problem. Bell services will handle everything.

We have two picky eaters, so that influences where we stay. Our favorite is POR, the menu has a lot of options to choose from that aren't adventurous. CBR and CSR had better themed pools, but we found it harder to find food everyone wanted to eat. If you don't have picky eaters, you can't go wrong with any of the three.

We have done several split stays, bell services moved the luggage for us. I don't find it to be a hassle, but I don't really unpack in the room. It is a fun way to experience a few different resorts, but now we enjoy just staying at one. I have stayed at WL and BC for Deluxe resorts and though they were beautiful, I didn't think they were worth the extra cost. We only did a standard room, I cannot speak for the suites.

For us, resort selection is usually budget driven. We pick the resort we can comfortably afford WITHOUT a discount. If a discount comes along later, we'll try to get it. Value resorts are a no go for us, for no other reason than the double beds. Just. Can't. Do it. We usually stick with the moderate resorts, and have stayed at all of them multiple times. We only do deluxes if we have a short stay or there's a particularly good discount.

Split stays are tricky if you want free dining. That discount requires that you purchase paper hopper tickets as part of the package. No problem for the first part of the split. But then you'd also have to buy the tickets AGAIN for the second part of the split. A quick look at the tickets page on the WDW site will show that 2 3 day PH tickets are almost $300 more expensive than 1 6 day ticket. So if you're determined to try to get FD AND do a split stay, you're better off doing the FD on the first reservation, with tickets that will span the whole trip, and then just do a room only reservation (maybe they'll have a room discount) on your second resort and pay out of pocket for your meals during that stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter