Outside Theme Park Attractions

Mickey Mounce

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

we are heading over from the UK on 4th April for 2 weeks staying in a Villa. We will be spending 4 full days in Disney Parks but have identified the Fort Wilderness Campfire with Chip and Dale and a few hours on the boardwalk as things we would like to do during these days.

Firstly, are these worth leaving the park for and assuming they are when and where would be best to fit them in. For example it appears you can walk to Boardwalk from Epcot so was going to go around 5 p.m. and eat at the boardwalk, then head back to the park.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

We've stayed at the Boardwalk Villas multiple times, so I can give you my opinion on that. Yes, it is walkable from Epcot, the international gateway entrance is by the UK, on the France side. You can either walk to the Boardwalk or take a boat. Boardwalk entertainment (buskers doing juggling/magic tricks) is in the evening...maybe starting at 7PM? They have surrey bikes for rent but I wouldn't do that during a crowded time. There are carnival games, some food kiosks, a few restaurants (ESPN club, Trattoria al Forno, Flying Fish, Big River Brewing Company, Ample Hills Farm ice cream, Boardwalk Bakery, AbracadaBar), a typical disney hotel shop, a gallery, Atlantic Hall Dance club (not sure how often they're open), and Jellyrolls (dueling piano bar) for late night.

I don't think there is that much going on around 5PM, if this is an adult only trip, you might enjoy going to Jellyrolls after a day at Epcot. I probably wouldn't take the time out of a 'park' day to do this. With 2 weeks in Orlando, I'd probably visit the Boardwalk on a non-park day, maybe starting with dinner.

Fantasia miniature golf and Winterland Summerland miniature golf are both great out-of-park attractions. You can rent little boats to drive on Bay Lake or Crescent Lake, too. Hoop Dee Doo Revue is a great dinner show at Fort Wilderness that has its first showing around 5pm. And Fort Wilderness also offers sleigh rides and trail rides. You can also rent bokes to ride around Fort Wilderness.

The chip and dale campfire is definitely not worth the time and energy to get there if you aren’t staying there.

Fantasia miniature golf and Winterland Summerland miniature golf are both great out-of-park attractions. You can rent little boats to drive on Bay Lake or Crescent Lake, too. Hoop Dee Doo Revue is a great dinner show at Fort Wilderness that has its first showing around 5pm. And Fort Wilderness also offers sleigh rides and trail rides. You can also rent bokes to ride around Fort Wilderness.
Yes we looked at the golf, are they near the water parks? We’re going to do them on those days?

We've stayed at the Boardwalk Villas multiple times, so I can give you my opinion on that. Yes, it is walkable from Epcot, the international gateway entrance is by the UK, on the France side. You can either walk to the Boardwalk or take a boat. Boardwalk entertainment (buskers doing juggling/magic tricks) is in the evening...maybe starting at 7PM? They have surrey bikes for rent but I wouldn't do that during a crowded time. There are carnival games, some food kiosks, a few restaurants (ESPN club, Trattoria al Forno, Flying Fish, Big River Brewing Company, Ample Hills Farm ice cream, Boardwalk Bakery, AbracadaBar), a typical disney hotel shop, a gallery, Atlantic Hall Dance club (not sure how often they're open), and Jellyrolls (dueling piano bar) for late night.

I don't think there is that much going on around 5PM, if this is an adult only trip, you might enjoy going to Jellyrolls after a day at Epcot. I probably wouldn't take the time out of a 'park' day to do this. With 2 weeks in Orlando, I'd probably visit the Boardwalk on a non-park day, maybe starting with dinner.
Thanks, was thinking ice cream at beaches and cream. Then heading back to the park for the Epcot show, save parking on a non park day as we have other plans as well

If you are doing only a total of 4 days in the parks--which perhaps I misunderstood from your post-- then I'd have to say that pretty much nothing is worth leaving the parks for. In four days unless you're going to be starting at rope drop and closing out the park at night and have everything very well planned, there's going to be a lot in the parks you're going to miss.

I can't tell if you've been to WDW before, but if you haven't, you'll be surprised at the size of the parks, the amount of walking inside the parks that you'll do, and the vast array of rides, shows, and experiences that are in all 4 parks.

Edited to fix typo

I'm a little confused. You're staying for 2 weeks, but only doing 4 days in the parks? Are they consecutive days, or spread out?

If the boardwalk is important to you, then yes, you could pop over during your Epcot day and see it. You're not going to get everything in Epcot done in one day anyway, so it's all about what's most important to you to see. (I still haven't made it over there, but I intend to eventually!)

The campfire was on my "someday we should..." list for a while too, but we never managed to do it. I just couldn't justify missing the park time (and we go every couple of years.) - But again, it's about your vision for your trip. I've been to plenty of campfires here at home or on more local vacations, so it wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime miss for me.

If it's really important to you, look at the night time shows at each park, determine which is least appealing to you, and plan it for that night. (I'm not sure about saving on parking though, as it's not actually at any of the parks.)

I suppose I have to support the other's idea that 4 park days is really not even enough to fully take in the parks, let alone add 'outside the park' activities. Speaking only for myself, I'd say that though the Boardwalk and Chip and Dale's are very nice, they are surely not worth less park time for. The travel time alone for C & D would dramatically eat away at whatever else you are doing that day. However, why not....not on your Disney Park days (obviously you are doing other parks or events), do the Boardwalk and/ or Chip & Dale on a non-park day? Then you won't lose park time and can incorporate any number of other 'outside of the park' activities. I hope you have a great trip, no matter what you decide.

Bob at prot orleans riverside river roosr lounge. Usually Thu-sat but che k the schedule. He is a ton of fun

I'm a little confused. You're staying for 2 weeks, but only doing 4 days in the parks? Are they consecutive days, or spread out?

If the boardwalk is important to you, then yes, you could pop over during your Epcot day and see it. You're not going to get everything in Epcot done in one day anyway, so it's all about what's most important to you to see. (I still haven't made it over there, but I intend to eventually!)

The campfire was on my "someday we should..." list for a while too, but we never managed to do it. I just couldn't justify missing the park time (and we go every couple of years.) - But again, it's about your vision for your trip. I've been to plenty of campfires here at home or on more local vacations, so it wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime miss for me.

If it's really important to you, look at the night time shows at each park, determine which is least appealing to you, and plan it for that night. (I'm not sure about saving on parking though, as it's not actually at any of the parks.)

Thanks for all your replies. Just to clarify we have four days in the Disney parks, 3 waterpark days, 2 universal and a couple of break days. We have been before and while we want to do as much as possible we’re going with first timers so wanted to split, ie early start crazy days but not necessarily stay until the end, hence why I thought popping out the park would be good. From replies will give fort wilderness a miss but might still do boardwalk

Not wanting "crazy" days is all the more reason to add a 5th or 6th park day. What would that even add to the cost? First timers there for 2 weeks with only one MK day for example is crazy to me. And if you're planning 5 break days, why not visit Ft. Wilderness on one of those evenings?

Not wanting "crazy" days is all the more reason to add a 5th or 6th park day. What would that even add to the cost? First timers there for 2 weeks with only one MK day for example is crazy to me. And if you're planning 5 break days, why not visit Ft. Wilderness on one of those evenings?
We only have two break days and a day at Clearwater. Just mean we don’t need to get everything done at each of the parks we are going with a “if we get it done we do, if we don’t we don’t” but thanks I do understand and will re-evaluate my plans

Thanks for all your replies. Just to clarify we have four days in the Disney parks, 3 waterpark days, 2 universal and a couple of break days. We have been before and while we want to do as much as possible we’re going with first timers so wanted to split, ie early start crazy days but not necessarily stay until the end, hence why I thought popping out the park would be good. From replies will give fort wilderness a miss but might still do boardwalk

That makes a lot more sense, then! You really have 9 "park" days planned already, not 4 - it's just that some are water parks or Universal (which I also love!) That much at "go-go-go" pace would do anybody in, so I see your point about break days!

I'd probably research and keep the campfire in mind as a back-up plan (since I don't think you need to book it ahead or anything) but not worry if you don't get to it.

I understand now. Just because this isn't what I would do doesn't mean it's not right for you.

I've never been to any of the water parks, but I've heard from other posters that 1/2 day at a water park is plenty, although maybe that's not your idea of a good time.

All that being said, if I had 7 days of theme park/water park split, I'd be doing 6 days theme park and 1 day water park. But I could spend an entire week-long vacation and go to DAK every day! And with SWGE, DHS has turned into an all-day park.

After you have 4-day park tickets, the additional days are not all that expensive. Just something for you to think about. Planning is half the fun! And when you're not planning or there, reading the DISboards is almost as much fun!

I realized I wasn't finished yet after I posted.

If I had only 1 day at Epcot, I wouldn't want to waste any time leaving Epcot and going to the Boardwalk unless I had dinner plans there, for example, and was dying to eat at that restaurant. It's a lot of walking and going about with little reward. There's more going on at the Boardwalk at night, but do you really want to leave Epcot and miss their nighttime show?

"Popping out of the park" = putting an extra several miles on your pedometer. It's not like you can exit the IG, stroll around the Boardwalk, and be back in Epcot in 20 minutes. Although you could if you walked really really fast and glanced at the Boardwalk then jogged back!

If I were going to leave Epcot at the IG, I'd take a ride on the Skyliner. It's right there at the IG and it's really fun. And fast. And relaxing. Assuming it doesn't break down, which it has been doing only rarely lately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter