Our worst day at WDW in 16 years...

We were at Epcot yesterday. Crowds to me appeared to be moderate. We got the vq for GotG in the morning, 9:45am. We got to the park at 10:20, just made the ride.
Then used genie+, stayed till close of EEH and rode Mission Space twice, Test Track, Soarin, Living with the Land, Finding Nemo, Remy. Watched a few shows including the Jammitors, finally. Had a great dinner and danced at Biergarten. Watched the fireworks from a great spot beside the pay area.
Negatives were the 6pm vq glitched on us and gave us nothing. Plus we were in line for GotG for hour twenty due to downtime.
The ongoing construction and the years it took to make what they have finished and revealed is just a total joke.
Otherwise a great day!

Last edited:
The ongoing construction and the years it took to make what they have finished and revealed is just a total joke.
I'm slowly warming up to the new looks though. That entire plaza could be a huge dance floor with the synchronizing lights. It was really interesting to see the lights on the ball, collumns, ground, and possibly the eatery flowing in harmony with the music. I think it would be an awesome place for a New Year party.
Screenshot_20240313_002029_YouTube.jpg

I'm going to blame the crowds on Spring Break.

Honestly I could do EPCOT without any of the rides (though I do like Test Track and Soarin'...admittedly I like the ORIGINAL Test Track better and miss Body Wars like crazy but that's a story for another day...)

Reason? World Showcase. If I got a full day in of just browsing around every pavilion, I'd consider it a win. When my wife wasn't feeling the greatest on our first honeymoon trip, we spent a day just going around World Showcase and she had a blast!! She's not even really much of a history person (much more into culture) and really enjoyed all the shops, interacting with people from the various countries, and trying the food. (In fact, it was the highlight of the trip that go-round, more so than any ride).

Truthfully it's all about what you want though. Two rides is indeed a bust if you're a ride-centric person, but I've found it's best to find the little victories on days like that. I had a trip once where I was stuck in line for over 2 hours for Toy Story Mania (it kept breaking down) so I just got to know all the people around me in line. I was flying solo on that trip and got to meet some interesting folks.

I went during Spring Break years ago (2018, I think). Just a miserable experience in terms of crowds (and value). They charge a premium price, but do not staff (or maintain their ride mechanics) at a premium capacity (anymore). I've vowed never to go this time of year. Heck, I think it is too crowded in the fall and January now, but at least I can manage the G+ nonsense effectively then.

I am very sorry you had such a tough day.
I accidentally went during spring break time (mid April) over 20 years ago - MK was so crowded I could not move - left around noon and only went back to the parks in the late evenings…I swore I would never again go the 3-4 weeeks that make up spring break again- now I go early May.

What you say is true, but that’s also like saying “if you were an expert you could have had an ok time”. What about the 90 percent of people who aren’t experts? Should you have to be an expert to enjoy it? I know that isn’t what you meant, but a theme park shouldn’t be this hard to enjoy.
I don’t disagree but OP claimed to be a Disney vet…

We go every year usually during end of Oct/early Nov (or spring break). Last year’s wine and dine marathon crowds were crazy. Main Street crowds didn’t move for 15 mins and CMs blocked the hub and were screaming at people (you couldn’t hear what they were saying). Usually the crowds clear in 10 mins. It seemed dangerous. It was more crowded and impassable than New Year’s Eve!!! You couldn’t see over all the tall people (very few kids). Winnie the Pooh had a 45 min wait (for perspective) post fireworks.

At Epcot we only did Space220 and one food booth in 3 hours!

That said earlier in the week the crowds were descent and we did enjoy the parks.

I feel for you OP and sympathize. It's a bummer looking forward to a magical day and things just being so crowded. I think over spring break the parks have been too crowded now for a few decades. Used to be my favorite time to go. We went two years ago during that week what would be next week. Went to Epcot twice, taking my dad (in his late 80s) to Flower and Garden. He enjoyed it, but crowds were crazy and for food we just did things like hot dogs, picking the shortest lines which were still long. I did spring break because we have lots of teachers in the extended family from all over and everyone came down which was really cool.

I'm not going to do that time again though due to the crowds. And WDW in general I think is overcrowded all the time now.

I'll never say never as I do love the theme parks, but for example next year when I'm doing a quick trip to visit a cousin in Tampa and my favorite nephew in Orlando, the only theme park we'll be hitting is SeaWorld. It's just a more peaceful place.

the reason the friendship boat line isn’t long is because you can walk 4 times faster than those boats move so most know not to waste there time…..sooooooo slow!!!
Very true - I usually just take it the one stop from Epcot to Boardwalk if its there and go from there when I am at the Swan Dolphin - unless I am really tired. But I wont wait the 15 minutes for it.

Years ago I used to walk from Epcot to DHS, but I don't do that anymore.

I have even heard the driver tell folks to get off at Yacht club and walk as its quicker when heading to Epcot.

Btw we usually stay at AOA. The Skyliner posted wait after fireworks/close was 45 mins but the lines kept moving and it only took 25 mins (not bad vs buses).

I'm going to blame the crowds on Spring Break.

Honestly I could do EPCOT without any of the rides (though I do like Test Track and Soarin'...admittedly I like the ORIGINAL Test Track better and miss Body Wars like crazy but that's a story for another day...)

Reason? World Showcase. If I got a full day in of just browsing around every pavilion, I'd consider it a win. When my wife wasn't feeling the greatest on our first honeymoon trip, we spent a day just going around World Showcase and she had a blast!! She's not even really much of a history person (much more into culture) and really enjoyed all the shops, interacting with people from the various countries, and trying the food. (In fact, it was the highlight of the trip that go-round, more so than any ride).

Truthfully it's all about what you want though. Two rides is indeed a bust if you're a ride-centric person, but I've found it's best to find the little victories on days like that. I had a trip once where I was stuck in line for over 2 hours for Toy Story Mania (it kept breaking down) so I just got to know all the people around me in line. I was flying solo on that trip and got to meet some interesting folks.
I would have talked to a CM and gotten a LL for free for the 6pm VQ glitch. That is something that should be expected for deluxe guests. That is a great perk advertised by Disney itself about the pros of staying Deluxe.

I am pretty sure they would have given you if you asked nicely.

That's because a decent chunk of what was planned was scrapped/canceled due to budget cuts and you can tell immediately. Years of construction walls and Epcot is IMO still a mess.
Yeah I was really surprised that it was still such a mess. Its very confusing as well. If you follow the sign to the land for example they send you a very roundabout way. Got to the point I just ignored the signs and went by memory.

Sorry for your experience that day! The parks have definitely been nuts this week. The other day we had to wait in line for Nemo for the first time ever. You know it's busy when you have to wait for Nemo! We've been over spring break before and the waits definitely seem worse this trip.

I have even heard the driver tell folks to get off at Yacht club and walk as its quicker when heading to Epcot.
Very true--can confirm this from experience. It's also a little quicker to get off at Swan/Dolphin and walk to Yacht Club if you're going there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter